HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : Money-Money-Money-Money...Mo-ney!! Thread #6

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  #901
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
From the latest LeBrun article:



The only thing I gather is that it will take a massive over payment to get ROR. Otherwise the Avs will just wait for ROR to break.
Good. If no one wants to pay their asking price, he sits. Simple as that. This is nowhere near a situation where the Avs have to trade him just to get something for him.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  #902
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Comin View Post
Good. If no one wants to pay their asking price, he sits. Simple as that. This is nowhere near a situation where the Avs have to trade him just to get something for him.
But they might have to adjust their asking price (both for a trade or ROR re-signing)

__________________


Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
  #903
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
But they might have to adjust their asking price (both for a trade or ROR re-signing)
Says who? They can always just let him rot.

thedoctor is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
  #904
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Says who? They can always just let him rot.
They could, but it would be terrible asset management. I'm guessing that the Avs hope is that somebody decides they really need (or panics a bit) and ups their offer to a ridiculous level.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  #905
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 20,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
From the latest LeBrun article:


In the meantime, everyone is waiting to see if/when Colorado moves Ryan O’Reilly. A long list of teams have inquired -- the likes of Ottawa, Toronto, Philadelphia, the Rangers, among other clubs -- but have been put off by the high asking price.

"I just think they don’t really want to move him unless it’s a home-run offer," said one Eastern Conference GM. "That’s their prerogative, really."

The only thing I gather is that it will take a massive over payment to get ROR. Otherwise the Avs will just wait for ROR to break.
These kind of tactics seem to be done more and more lately, and I'm not really buying it in this situation. Coincidentally the same kind of talk was happening last year when the Rangers were trying to get Nash.

They want to get a significant player without giving up any real significant players of their own, so they try and paint the other team as being unreasonable or asking for too much, to put pressure on them to drop their asking price.

I just find it odd that these GM's or whoever are even making public comments. What reason do they have, it's not about their player? Seems calculated to me.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
  #906
CalderKing21
Darth Calder
 
CalderKing21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
They could, but it would be terrible asset management. I'm guessing that the Avs hope is that somebody decides they really need (or panics a bit) and ups their offer to a ridiculous level.
no it wouldn't, smart move to call his bluff.
they can tell him no one values him like we do and with no other offers he has to sign.

CalderKing21 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
  #907
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
They could, but it would be terrible asset management. I'm guessing that the Avs hope is that somebody decides they really need (or panics a bit) and ups their offer to a ridiculous level.
They have all the time in the world. More than RoR has anyway. It would be bad asset management not to try to squeeze every little bit of value of of that guy.

El_Loco_Avs is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
  #908
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
no it wouldn't, smart move to call his bluff.
they can tell him no one values him like we do and with no other offers he has to sign.
Letting a #2C just rot and not play for multiple years is throwing away a valuable asset that could just cost Sherman his job in the end. Plus, if ROR was forced to sign a deal like that just to end it, he might not be the happiest camper in the locker room. I'm not saying he would be a cancer, but that possibility would surely be there.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
  #909
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,005
vCash: 500
If that is the case, get this effer signed.

S E P H is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
  #910
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
They have all the time in the world. More than RoR has anyway. It would be bad asset management not to try to squeeze every little bit of value of of that guy.
I agree to a point. All except they don't have all the time in the world. They have until mid-July. That would be the point where the top free agents from this season are locked up and the teams that missed on them are looking for other ways to build their rosters. If this drags out until next season, ROR will lose value (I really don't think this happens).

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:21 PM
  #911
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 20,381
vCash: 500
This plan is working out great. Should I sign a reasonable deal like my teammate did and just play hockey again? Or should I get extra sensitive during negotiations, and ask for more than I'm worth, and get nothing as a result?

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
  #912
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
They could, but it would be terrible asset management. I'm guessing that the Avs hope is that somebody decides they really need (or panics a bit) and ups their offer to a ridiculous level.
It would also be terrible asset management to give in to these ridiculous demands from O'Reilly, or to trade him for less than he's really worth.

O'Reilly has backed the Avs into a corner with this negotiation. The only options they have are losers for them -- overpay him, trade him for less than he's worth, look weak + overpay other RFAs for a long time, or let him rot. Those are all bad options. Letting him rot is by far the least objectionable -- they look tough in negotiations, they're not overpaying anyone, and they're not getting taken advantage of by another team.

O'Reilly deserves to rot for his stupidity and selfishness in all this. He can't see anything but his own perspective, and it's killing negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Letting a #2C just rot and not play for multiple years is throwing away a valuable asset that could just cost Sherman his job in the end. Plus, if ROR was forced to sign a deal like that just to end it, he might not be the happiest camper in the locker room. I'm not saying he would be a cancer, but that possibility would surely be there.
Actually, if he doesn't play this year, the Avs get get another year of RFA. Every year he refuses to play on the front end is another he has to play for us on the back end until he turns 23 -- 2 more years.


Last edited by thedoctor: 02-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
thedoctor is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
  #913
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
It would also be terrible asset management to give in to these ridiculous demands from O'Reilly, or to trade him for less than he's really worth.

O'Reilly has backed the Avs into a corner with this negotiation. The only options they have are losers for them -- overpay him, trade him for less than he's worth, look weak + overpay other RFAs for a long time, or let him rot. Those are all bad options. Letting him rot is by far the least objectionable -- they look tough in negotiations, they're not overpaying anyone, and they're not getting taken advantage of by another team.

O'Reilly deserves to rot for his stupidity and selfishness in all this. He can't see anything but his own perspective, and it's killing negotiations.
So what you are saying is that having no player is better than having a 'bad deal' like MDZ + high end prospect.

I agree the Avs shouldn't overpay, but if it comes down to not having ROR or anybody for 13-14 or a 'bad deal' you have to take the bad deal. Letting a valuable asset sit for 2 seasons will cause a GM to lose their job.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #914
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Actually, if he doesn't play this year, the Avs get get another year of RFA. Every year he refuses to play on the front end is another he has to play for us on the back end until he turns 23 -- 2 more years.
It would be 2 years of lost development, and ROR holding out for 2 years would make his value plummet. The a straight swap for MDZ suddenly would look like a great deal.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:36 PM
  #915
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Who would have though that when we drafted Ryan O’Reilly, we may have selected potentially the guy that could have one of the best KHL careers in history?

За тебя / За вас, ROR....see ya in Russia next year. On the plus side, you'll probably get a good seat to watching NHLers play at the Olympics in Sochi.

Bonzai12 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:41 PM
  #916
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It would be 2 years of lost development, and ROR holding out for 2 years would make his value plummet. The a straight swap for MDZ suddenly would look like a great deal.
Quite true.

This will be over this summer, not a doubt in my mind. O'Reilly may very well agree to a cheaper deal towards the end of the season with the Avs so that he has basically a one year deal next season to prove himself with.

While that isn't ideal for us, I think Sherman would take 10-15 games of O'Reilly and 3.5mil next year if he agrees to it.

Otherwise, a team can knock our socks off if they want him.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
  #917
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So what you are saying is that having no player is better than having a 'bad deal' like MDZ + high end prospect.

I agree the Avs shouldn't overpay, but if it comes down to not having ROR or anybody for 13-14 or a 'bad deal' you have to take the bad deal. Letting a valuable asset sit for 2 seasons will cause a GM to lose their job.
No it will not cost Sherman his job; if this were Matt Duchene maybe you might have a point but its not, its Ryan O'Reilly. For how much we love him, hes still just Ryan O'Reilly, a 3C with potential to become a solid 2C. The Avs have to either wait for the homerun offer in order to trade him, or let him rot back in Ontario missing out on playing NHL hockey.

Also, your "bad deal" of MDZ + a high end prospect was likely already rejected by Sather, I recall an article that stated Sather turned it down. Also, Sather probably wants no part of O'Reilly because he'll just try to give him a bridge deal, its the way Sather is with RFA's.

Personally I hope O'Reilly rots back home for as long as possible before finally giving in. Signs the deal, comes to practice and on the first day, scraps with Duchene. Second day, scraps with Landeskog. Third day, Scraps with Bordeleau. Then he'll have earned the respect of the locker-room lol..... Maybe on 1st game ask him to scrap the opposition's heavyweight too

dahrougem2 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
  #918
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So what you are saying is that having no player is better than having a 'bad deal' like MDZ + high end prospect.

I agree the Avs shouldn't overpay, but if it comes down to not having ROR or anybody for 13-14 or a 'bad deal' you have to take the bad deal. Letting a valuable asset sit for 2 seasons will cause a GM to lose their job.
Why do we need a guy for '13-'14? Are we suddenly contending? I doubt it. So why the urgency?

Did Poile lose his job for letting Radulov "sit?" When a player pulls **** like this, you can't blame the GM, especially when there are fair offers on the table. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It would be 2 years of lost development, and ROR holding out for 2 years would make his value plummet. The a straight swap for MDZ suddenly would look like a great deal.
I agree losing those development years is a bad thing and it will hurt his value to some extent, but it's not like he's going to forget how to play hockey. He'll pick up where he left off when he comes back, especially if he was to continue to play in the KHL. And I consider this likely if he's not signed next summer.

Until he starts burning years of RFA on this holdout, I don't think his value will "plummet." If this holdout gets to that point, THEN it's time to trade him. I would be shocked if O'Reilly didn't break before that.

thedoctor is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
  #919
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Quite true.

This will be over this summer, not a doubt in my mind. O'Reilly may very well agree to a cheaper deal towards the end of the season with the Avs so that he has basically a one year deal next season to prove himself with.

While that isn't ideal for us, I think Sherman would take 10-15 games of O'Reilly and 3.5mil next year if he agrees to it.

Otherwise, a team can knock our socks off if they want him.
I disagree. You're burning a year of RFA for a meaningless season. If he's not signed by the trade deadline, I don't think anything will happen until next summer. Sherman isn't dumb enough to let O'Reilly hook the hook like that. I think, at least.

thedoctor is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
  #920
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
No it will not cost Sherman his job; if this were Matt Duchene maybe you might have a point but its not, its Ryan O'Reilly. For how much we love him, hes still just Ryan O'Reilly, a 3C with potential to become a solid 2C. The Avs have to either wait for the homerun offer in order to trade him, or let him rot back in Ontario missing out on playing NHL hockey.

Also, your "bad deal" of MDZ + a high end prospect was likely already rejected by Sather, I recall an article that stated Sather turned it down. Also, Sather probably wants no part of O'Reilly because he'll just try to give him a bridge deal, its the way Sather is with RFA's.

Personally I hope O'Reilly rots back home for as long as possible before finally giving in. Signs the deal, comes to practice and on the first day, scraps with Duchene. Second day, scraps with Landeskog. Third day, Scraps with Bordeleau. Then he'll have earned the respect of the locker-room lol..... Maybe on 1st game ask him to scrap the opposition's heavyweight too
The rumored deal was MDZ + Kreider/Miller... high end prospect can mean many things. IMO Skej, St. Croix, and Fasth all have real good potential, but less value than their top prospects. MDZ + Fasth wouldn't be a good deal for ROR, but better than getting nothing.

People's emotions of ROR still holding out are getting the best of them. It is never good to let a very valuable asset rot and lose value.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
  #921
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Personally I hope O'Reilly rots back home for as long as possible before finally giving in. Signs the deal, comes to practice and on the first day, scraps with Duchene. Second day, scraps with Landeskog. Third day, Scraps with Bordeleau. Then he'll have earned the respect of the locker-room lol..... Maybe on 1st game ask him to scrap the opposition's heavyweight too
I'll take it.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
  #922
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 20,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Who would have though that when we drafted Ryan O’Reilly, we may have selected potentially the guy that could have one of the best KHL careers in history?

За тебя / За вас, ROR....see ya in Russia next year. On the plus side, you'll probably get a good seat to watching NHLers play at the Olympics in Sochi.
Yea, he might be able to watch Matt Duchene, the guy he thinks he's worth more than, play for Canada.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
  #923
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Why do we need a guy for '13-'14? Are we suddenly contending? I doubt it. So why the urgency?

Did Poile lose his job for letting Radulov "sit?" When a player pulls **** like this, you can't blame the GM, especially when there are fair offers on the table. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Making the playoffs in 13-14 is absolutely needed if Sherman wants to keep his job. Not having ROR or the assets he would bring in would potentially cause this team to miss the playoffs yet again.

Poile had a lot better team and was in the playoffs every single year that Rads was gone. Still making the playoffs really helps keep your job. Lets just say that the Avs don't trade him and ROR sits out next season as well. If the Avs finish in the bottom 5 both years, do you really expect that Sherman will have a job?

henchman24 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
  #924
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,353
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
For how much we love him, hes still just Ryan O'Reilly, a 3C with potential to become a solid 2C.
I don't see many 55 point, 21 year old, 3rd line centremen around the league, but that might just be me...

TwoPadStack is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
  #925
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
It is likely going to require a team give up a core piece and top prospect, maybe more, to land Ryan O'Reilly, since he himself is a core piece. This trade is going to change the respective dynamic of the Avs and the team they trade with substantially. You don't do those kinds of deals at the deadline, you only add big pieces to an already stacked roster for the most part.

I'd be very, very surprised if a deal was struck before the deadline.

Av-merican is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.