Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
02-26-2013, 12:07 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Am i the only one that thinks it is stupid that one conference will have 16 teams fighting for 8 spots and one will have 14 fighting for 8?
I only see it as stupid when the Jets are in the 16 team conference.

I like it when the Jets are in the 14 team conference.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:08 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

my thought exactly.
I was opposed initially, but lately I'm seeing a lot of merit.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

vCash: 500
Quote:

Good point, didn't realize the Jets were in the 14 when I posted.

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Agree with the idea of a 16/14 split seems unfair.

Personally, I don't like the Divisional match-up system for the playoffs. I see the arguments about it creating some rivalries, but I lived through Jets 1.0, and don't like the idea of hitting a harder team earlier than you would have to if the system was 1 vs.8.

I do like the idea of top 3 plus 2 wildcards for the top teams regardless of division. Reduces the likelihood of a team getting in with a weaker record because they are in a weaker division.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Bob E

I like it.

Will create some neat rivalries. And the wild card idea has that cross-over CFL element I like.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Boreal

I'm loving this idea.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:51 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Mid-west division? What a terrible name.

Why not have the division names be the Pacific division, West-division, East-division, Atlantic division then rename the conference's National West Conference and National East Conference.

Not a fan of the 14 teams in the west and 16 teams in the east. Rather they did a band-aid fix of swapping Detroit and Winnipeg until the Coyote's situation was settled.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
SCP Guy

I like the Jets in the 14 team conference

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Huffer

I might not be getting this properly from the wording of the TSN article, but can someone explain how the playoff seedings, and specifically the re-seedings for rounds 2 and 3 would work?

Let's say that this is the end of year standings:

Western Conference
Pacific Mid-West
Anaheim 27 Chicago 35
Vancouver 24 Nashville 23
Los Angeles 20 St. Louis 22
Phoenix 19 Dallas 20
San Jose 19 Minnesota 18
Edmonton 18 Winnipeg 17
Calgary 17 Colorado 16

That means that the 1st round matchups are:

(Anaheim vs Dallas, and Vancouver and LA in the Pacific)

Anaheim 27
Vancouver 24
Los Angeles 20
Dallas 20

(Chicago vs. Phoenix and Nashville vs St.Louis)

Chicago 35
Nashville 23
St. Louis 22
Phoenix 19

I made the above matchups based on the following on TSN:

"The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card."

But what happens in the next round?

What happens if Dallas beats Anaheim, Van beats LA, Nash beats St. Louis and Phoenix beats Chicago?

TSN says:

"First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals."

So Dallas would play Vancouver for the Pacific Division, and Phoenix would play Nashville for the mid-west?

Is that right? Dallas (a mid west team) could then win the Pacific Division, and Phoenix (a Pacific team), could win the mid west division?

I have to be missing something here.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

I don't understand why they want to change from the current top 8 playoff system. What do they believe is better about this convoluted system. It allows even bad teams to be in the race until the end. Put 15 teams in each conference, divide them in any divisions you want and go top 8. Imbalance solved. 7 or 8 team divisions. It doesn't matter. You don't need a math degree to figure out the race.

I don't see how a complicated wildcard system is more desirable. Anyone know the rationale?

Last edited by peter sullivan: 02-26-2013 at 07:03 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
I don't understand why they want to change from the current top 8 playoff system. What do they believe is better about this convoluted system. It allows even bad teams to be in the race until the end. Put 15 teams in each conference and go top 8. Imbalance solved.

I don't see how a complicated wildcard system is more desirable. Anyone know the rationale?
they must have expansion teams in place in the west ready to go i think

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
It's insane that the "wildcard" system even exists in that proposal, as if it's somehow supposed to fix the unbalanced conferences without any crossover between them. Unless each conference had a 7 team division and an 8 team division the wildcard is completely pointless - it's still 8/14 and 8/16. If that was the case, it'd be a great way to balance it out (essentially what the CFL does). Makes me think they originally had it that way, Detroit forced a move to the East and then they forgot to take it out. No point at all unless a 5th place team in the East can make the West playoffs if they have more points than a 4th place team.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't understand why they want to change from the current top 8 playoff system. What do they believe is better about this convoluted system. It allows even bad teams to be in the race until the end. Put 15 teams in each conference, divide them in any divisions you want and go top 8. Imbalance solved. 7 or 8 team divisions. It doesn't matter. You don't need a math degree to figure out the race.

Agree, peter. And i am also no fan of more teams in one conference than the other, it's just silly. Perhaps they're preparing for expansion, otherwise to me these are silly changes and they're trying to fix something that is not broken. Bob Clarke, Ray Ferraro and Aaron Ward felt the same way tonight on TSN.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
They are clearly planning for an expansion. It's pretty obvious to me.

And gotta give a big LOL shoutout to all the chicken-little types out there claiming that the new alignment will help foster a second relocation of the Jets out of Winnipeg

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
They are clearly planning for an expansion. It's pretty obvious to me.

And gotta give a big LOL shoutout to all the chicken-little types out there claiming that the new alignment will help foster a second relocation of the Jets out of Winnipeg
?? They are one of the few west teams, if anything this makes wpg more valuable.

Anyways not understanding how the playoff system is complicated? Top 3 in each division clinch. Next two best teams are in. Worst of those two joins the div with the best team, other wildcard joins the other div.

To me this re-alignment says NHL either has huge hope in pho staying or seattle is plan A for relocation. A pho move to que/tor/ham makes things complicated.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
?? They are one of the few west teams, if anything this makes wpg more valuable.

Anyways not understanding how the playoff system is complicated? Top 3 in each division clinch. Next two best teams are in. Worst of those two joins the div with the best team, other wildcard joins the other div.

To me this re-alignment says NHL either has huge hope in pho staying or seattle is plan A for relocation. A pho move to que/tor/ham makes things complicated.
Been reading some of the reactionary posts on TSN and other website saying that because we aren't with any other Canadian teams, fans in the city will revolt and lose interest in the team, turing into another Phoenix and out the door. Uh-huh, sure. That is going to happen It's laughable how some people's minds work. I too think this will immensly benefit us and make our geographical rivalries more meaningful, ie Minnesota and Chicago.

However, I could care less about Nashville. Many of their fans here spewed lots of hatred towards our fanbase when the relocation from Atlanta happened, and they still hold a grudge against us. I can't even have a decent conversation with many of them because of the tainted glasses they have on, rendering many of them obnoxious and annoying in that sense. So out of all the team we will be with, Nashville will be on my "don't give a **** about" list.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 02-27-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

If what Friedman is saying about the matrix is correct, the Jets will actually be playing nearly as many games against Canadian teams as the teams in the other divisions:

3 games x Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver = 9
2 games x Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal = 6
Total is 15

The largest number of games we'll play (32) will be against the East, vs. 29 against our division and 21 against the Pacific. We'll now likely be making 2 trips to California each year, as opposed to 3 trips to Florida.

The figures for the Pacific teams would be, e.g. for Vancouver:

5 games x Calgary, Edmonton = 10 (in rare years, this would just be 9)
3 games x Winnipeg = 3
Total is 19 (occasionally 18)

For the eastern teams, e.g. for Toronto:

4 or 5 games x Montreal, Ottawa = 9 (could be 8 or 10 some years)
2 games x Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver = 8
Total is 17 (occasionally 16 or 18)

So, if I have this right, it's 15 Canadian games for us vs. 17-19 for everyone else.
That's not enough of a difference for the Jets to be totally "lost" to the Canadian media, I don't think.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Nothing is perfect, but I like it.

Coming from a time where every playoff series the Jets 1.0 played, seemed like we we playing EDM, CAL, or VAN ( and losing ) , I look forward to seeing a change.

I'm all for having a playoff series against CHI, or MINN.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If what Friedman is saying about the matrix is correct, the Jets will actually be playing nearly as many games against Canadian teams as the teams in the other divisions:

3 games x Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver = 9
Total is 15

The largest number of games we'll play (32) will be against the East, vs. 29 against our division and 21 against the Pacific. We'll now likely be making 2 trips to California each year, as opposed to 3 trips to Florida.

The figures for the Pacific teams would be, e.g. for Vancouver:

5 games x Calgary, Edmonton = 10 (in rare years, this would just be 9)
3 games x Winnipeg = 3
Total is 19 (occasionally 18)

For the eastern teams, e.g. for Toronto:

4 or 5 games x Montreal, Ottawa = 9 (could be 8 or 10 some years)
2 games x Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver = 8
Total is 17 (occasionally 16 or 18)

So, if I have this right, it's 15 Canadian games for us vs. 17-19 for everyone else.
That's not enough of a difference for the Jets to be totally "lost" to the Canadian media, I don't think.
Not that i agree with our understand their vitrol, but i believe it' based on the lack of division playoff matchups to "build rivalries".

Aside from being asinine to begin with, if it's actually because of the amount of games, it is really silly to be upset with that.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:13 PM
PETRYDISH

I really hope you guys stay out of our division, my friends and I are really enjoying cheering for the Jets.

PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Been reading some of the reactionary posts on TSN and other website saying that because we aren't with any other Canadian teams, fans in the city will revolt and lose interest in the team, turing into another Phoenix and out the door. Uh-huh, sure. That is going to happen It's laughable how some people's minds work. I too think this will immensly benefit us and make our geographical rivalries more meaningful, ie Minnesota and Chicago.

However, I could care less about Nashville. Many of their fans here spewed lots of hatred towards our fanbase when the relocation from Atlanta happened, and they still hold a grudge against us. I can't even have a decent conversation with many of them because of the tainted glasses they have on, rendering many of them obnoxious and annoying in that sense. So out of all the team we will be with, Nashville will be on my "don't give a **** about" list.
Maybe because many of the same people who danced on the Thrashers grave were also part of the group who trolled Nashville when it was thought that they might move?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Ober

Quote:

I don't know what is convoluted or complicated about this?!

The rationale is simple...
(1) Everyone (NHLPA and each NHL franchise) seems to want to try and minimize time zone travel...thus division playoffs for round 1 & 2
(2) But...the NHLPA apparently did not like the fact that a 5th place team could have a better point total than a 4th place team and still miss the playoffs (ie: weak division vs strong division)...thus the "wildcard"
(3) The top 8 playoff structure that you suggest can potentially create the 2 time zone travel matchup in every round...while the proposed divisional playoff structure with "wildcard" can only create a maximum of 1 potential 2 time zone matchup in round 1 & 2...thus better for travel AND (much more importantly) better for TV (prime time games=more viewers=higher advertising=ultimately more NHL revenue)
(4) Putting a 15th team into the West Conference means 1 ETZ team will be 100% more disadvantaged than the other 15 ETZ teams in regards to travel, TV, playoffs, etc...and to subject any one of the ETZ to this would be simply wrong and unfair

End result...
All the ETZ teams are together...with no time zone travel until Stanley Cup Finals...but the trade off is they have a lesser chance to make the playoffs (50% vs 57%)

It looks pretty good.

Ober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Maybe because many of the same people who danced on the Thrashers grave were also part of the group who trolled Nashville when it was thought that they might move?
There was lots of trolling going back and forth, they were not innocent of anything either. It's a business and people were happy to get a team back, regardless of the method. Yeah, I felt sorry for you guys, but honestly, I have a team back and that is all I care about, and so do many others. Glad to see some former Thrash fans are now Jets fans; they give a perspective of the team that may not always be seen from our end of things. Anyways, it's past history now, although some people, such as some Nashville fans, bring it up when a Jets fan posts about anything. That is what I'm getting at.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ober View Post
the NHLPA apparently did not like the fact that a 5th place team could have a better point total than a 4th place team and still miss the playoffs (ie: weak division vs strong division)...thus the "wildcard"
Not arguing with the rest but I still don't see the point of the wildcard unless it was a crossover from an 8-team division to a 7-team division, effectively negating the discrepancy in playoff odds like the CFL does. The wildcard as currently proposed is no different in terms of weak conference vs strong conference (not the reality of travel of course) than having an East-West crossover in the present system where, for example, 3 years ago the 11th place team in the West had more points than the 8th in the East.

If the quality of competition between divisions was really a concern (i.e. the weak division vs strong division), why have the division leaders under the present system been guaranteed a top-3 spot when it's possible the 3rd place team has less points than the 9th? It still feels like a logical inconsistency to me and makes it feel like they originally had balanced conferences with unbalanced divisions, meaning the wildcard evened out the odds for everyone.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
I want a South East Division banner so bad!!
Yes no doubt! Can't say that I really thought about that before. Personally I like being in the south east. Lots of cheap flights to see the fla games too.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote