HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Old
02-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Unless the divisions are realigned once again, Detroit won't come back.

Depending on who you ask, Detroit has wanted this for at least fifteen years, if not more.

Quebec City is likely dead for the time being and Seattle will become the target once the Sonics settle in.
Who cares what Detroit wants, let's just give them Crosby and Stamkos then, they probably want them too. Boo hoo, it's how the league is. Instead of doing 15-15, let's do 16-14 and the stupidest idea of all time with a random wildcard because Detroit isn't happy. Screw Detroit, take it or get out of the NHL crybabies.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:01 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Nice discussion of realignment by Hockey Prospectus...

Part 1: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1457
Part 2: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1458
Part 3: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1460

Don't miss the link to the top ten and top 100 configurations. http://usma.academia.edu/BrianMacdonald/Slides

Many nice options in there. A lot of the scenarios they rank differ only in 1-5k miles, so that's a wash with 30 teams over an 82 game schedule. From a Hawks standpoint, I'd be happy with any of the "top ten" scenarios save for perhaps the last one (due to rivalry considerations). I didn't see a "Great Lakes Division" option though (Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Toronto), which would be nice. The one with Montreal would be great, but the NHL has a problem splitting up Montreal and Boston (but no problem splitting the Hawks and Wings). The two that seem fairest are the Hawks, Stars, Blues, Wings and Predators division. No surprise there.

My only critique with the otherwise interesting article is that the "best six-conference configuration" wasn't discussed in part 3, and I'm not a fan of their "what if" scenario regarding Quebec.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Sounds like they're dropping the 4 conference format and are just going to have two conferences each with two divisions, per....

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

According to NHL memo sent to 30 teams, no longer is the idea to go to 4 conferences, but rather 2 conferences with two divisions each.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...58541743566848

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

The Eastern Conference would have the Atlantic and Central divisions, the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific divisions

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...58948356153344
Call me crazy, but having 4/7 teams in the "Midwest" not even be part of the Midwest seems fairly odd to me.... just name ours the Central and come up with something else for the other eastern division.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Illinihockey

I don't like that you have to play division rivals in the first two rounds of the playoffs. What if the 4 best teams in the NHL are all in one division? Just dumb.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't like that you have to play division rivals in the first two rounds of the playoffs. What if the 4 best teams in the NHL are all in one division? Just dumb.
Agreed, people will point to it being like that before but I'll point to all of the expansion. Too many teams to make a system like that work correctly.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Who cares it builds up great rivalries

Divisional playoffs were one of the great things from my childhood

I hated the North Stars with a passion as a result of playoffs

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Sarava

Quote:
That's the way it always was. It can hurt your team or help your team...but either way it builds up rivalries. And rivalries within the division is something the current NHL has completely lost. Great move IMO.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Who cares it builds up great rivalries

Divisional playoffs were one of the great things from my childhood

I hated the North Stars with a passion as a result of playoffs
Because I want the Hawks to win the Cup, not to build rivalries. You want to trade the 2010 Stanley Cup for that hatred of the North Stars?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
That's the way it always was. It can hurt your team or help your team...but either way it builds up rivalries. And rivalries within the division is something the current NHL has completely lost. Great move IMO.
The way it always was, and the Hawks won 0 Cups from 1961 to 2009.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
digdug41982

I think ultimately this is going to cause a couple teams to contract or end up being moved to markets that can sustain them through long stretches of futility. In the end, this will be good for the league. Initially, I think there will a 5-7 year period where it doesn't like the right move and gets a little messy.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Because I want the Hawks to win the Cup, not to build rivalries. You want to trade the 2010 Stanley Cup for that hatred of the North Stars?
Playing more of St. Louis, Minnesota, Colorado, Dallas, or Nashville is going to prevent the Hawks from winning the Cup?

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Playing more of St. Louis, Minnesota, Colorado, Dallas, or Nashville is going to prevent the Hawks from winning the Cup?
Financially it looks like we can outspend them but on the ice as of now, those teams give us trouble. It's not ideal but the Hawks are the best of these teams and I expect them to adapt. Still, I can see a reason for concern.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

This is incredibly stupid to be doing 2 conferences if it's going to be 16-14. The hell are they thinking? Man, this league gets dumber everyday.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Sarava

Quote:
The way it always was, and the Hawks won 0 Cups from 1961 to 2009.
I don't see how that old format cost the Hawks any cups. Not getting the job done, the Edmonton Oilers, Mario Lemieux, Bill Wirtz...there's lots of reasons the Hawks went cupless so long. I don't see the divisional playoff format as one of them though.

And let's be honest. The Hawks proposed conference looks to be the weakest conference, both now and in to the future. There is only one team in that conference that would be considered a consistent big spender and that is the Hawks.

Where look at where Detroit is going, there's more big money teams. Eventually Montreal and Toronto will right the ship and that will both make it harder for Detroit to make the playoffs - and also advance when they do.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't see how that old format cost the Hawks any cups. Not getting the job done, the Edmonton Oilers, Mario Lemieux, Bill Wirtz...there's lots of reasons the Hawks went cupless so long. I don't see the divisional playoff format as one of them though.

And let's be honest. The Hawks proposed conference looks to be the weakest conference, both now and in to the future. There is only one team in that conference that would be considered a consistent big spender and that is the Hawks.

Where look at where Detroit is going, there's more big money teams. Eventually Montreal and Toronto will right the ship and that will both make it harder for Detroit to make the playoffs - and also advance when they do.
1990 really sucked as a kid. I thought the Hawks had the Oilers with series 2-1 in Conf finals

I was really excited by idea of Hawks/Bruins

Didn't know much about Bruins as a kid at time outside of the hockey cards I had

But as a kid there jersey's were great and it seemed you always got a Lemelin or Moog card in every pack of cards

Old
02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Sarava

Andy Moog...now there's a blast from the past

Old
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
How is wanting return of div playoffs/rivalries mean I want to trade cup for North Stars?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Minnesota are also big spenders. Plus St. Louis isn't going anywhere for a long time and neither is Nashville.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
How is wanting return of div playoffs/rivalries mean I want to trade cup for North Stars?
I'm saying to hell with rivalries...I want the easiest path to a Cup.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I like the idea of keeping 2 Conferences with 2 Divisions each... if they add 2 teams and expand the league to 32 teams

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Quit your crying. Any team that goes on to win the cup has to battle through immensely difficult competition, regardless of whether the opponents come from your division or otherwise.

I personally love the divisional playoffs. I love watching the Hawks play teams within our division throughout the season, and I love when we meet them in the playoffs. The truth of the matter is it sounds like people don't like the idea that our division appears to have gotten tougher. Some folks seem to want the easy street. Again, come playoffs, you have to beat the tough teams...so why not make a habit of whippin' their behinds throughout the season?

I'll miss Detroit. It was a great rivalry, no doubt. But we had one with Minnesota I'll be happy to get back. We haven't had a Canadian team in this division since Toronto left. I'll be glad to see another on board. Dallas is the remnants of our former North Stars rival, so I don't mind seeing them back in the fold either. On the other hand, Viktor Stalberg's annual point production can be expected to be halved with Columbus leaving.

Another reason for folks not to get upset is no one knows what's going to happen to Phoenix. With the West already being short two teams, if the Yotes move out East, someone's going to have to come back immediately. My guess is they end up in Seattle, however, and don't even have to change divisions.

Take a deep breath and relax. Over time, there's still the change things change. I just love hockey. I don't care who, where, or when my team plays.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

I'm just still questioning the obvious implications that this all has for Quebec City. Seems ridiculous to think that the league would go through the effort of moving Detroit and Columbus to the east only to have to move one of them back in the event that the Yotes relocate there or if they land an expansion team in the next few years.

Especially with the Yotes, as I don't see them lasting another year in Glendale.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I'm just still questioning the obvious implications that this all has for Quebec City. Seems ridiculous to think that the league would go through the effort of moving Detroit and Columbus to the east only to have to move one of them back in the event that the Yotes relocate there or if they land an expansion team in the next few years.

Especially with the Yotes, as I don't see them lasting another year in Glendale.
They aren't going to expand by one team - so if they give an expansion team to QC (in the east), they'll also give one to a city that would be in the Western conference.

As far as relocating Phoenix...this is probably a sign they either don't intend to or will give it to a team that would be in the West.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

This tells me the Yotes are staying put or going to Seattle, and that the league feels fine having unbalanced conferences and using the "wild card" playoff setup until an expansion occurs. Were the the Yotes to go east, they wouldn't have bothered creating the current setup just to have to send someone back west when the Yotes bolt for Quebec/Toronto/Markham.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
They aren't going to expand by one team - so if they give an expansion team to QC (in the east), they'll also give one to a city that would be in the Western conference.

As far as relocating Phoenix...this is probably a sign they either don't intend to or will give it to a team that would be in the West.
Uh... no, that math doesn't add up. The split will already be 16-14 East and West. Only way that expansion would produce even conferences without realigning anyone else would be by adding two teams in the west.