HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Draft Draft Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Philadelphia, continuing with our theme of building up the middle, selects the #1 penalty killing forward on two Stanley Cup champion teams(and the #2 and #3 on two others), a Conn Smythe Winner despite being 4th on his team in scoring, a testament to the intangibles he brings to the table, C Butch "I'm better than Elias" Goring

Goring would be a good 3rd line center in this draft, but he'll be an elite 4th line center.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I was about to make that comment. However, at this point Goring is a good selection.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I was about to make that comment. However, at this point Goring is a good selection.
Yea I just think its hilarious that he said that

Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to put together so far.

From what I can gather, Tarasov is a coach who prefers to attack than defend. He was also a big-time innovator who achieved most of his success through trial and error.

In terms of the "problems" he would have with players, it doesn't look like we currently have any who Tarasov would clash with.

Bob Goldham might be the worst fit, because he's not a great skater, and Tarasov liked defensemen to join the rush. Having said that, Tarasov did develop a system with a position called a "stopper", which seemed tailor-made for a guy like Goldham.
I thought the early Soviets specifically didn't like their defensemen to join the rush. I know by the time of the Summit Series, they didn't

Old
02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Goring would be a good 3rd line center in this draft, but he'll be an elite 4th line center.
I think elite 4th line center is exactly how Goring should be used. He was a good enough scorer to play on a 3rd line in the ATD, but his defensive play at even-strength was never anything special, and I think some may have overrated his overall two-way game in the past because of his great and deserved reputation as a penalty-killer. Excellent 4th liner, though.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think elite 4th line center is exactly how Goring should be used. He was a good enough scorer to play on a 3rd line in the ATD, but his defensive play at even-strength was never anything special, and I think some may have overrated his overall two-way game in the past because of his great and deserved reputation as a penalty-killer. Excellent 4th liner, though.
Agreed. I looked at Goring (among others) when I picked Mackell. I was kinda surprised at how little (if anything) I found about his checking abilities. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places...

Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

TDMM and dreaks,...

Tarasov's Road to Olympus answers all these questions about his coaching style and player chemistry or lack of it in some cases.

I will gladly re-read it and provide indepth quotations on relevant sections. It was such a joy to read the first time. For the line-up assassination thread for sure, earlier if specific questions need answering (PM me).

(One of the best of the 50+ history books I bought from seventieslord a couple of years back.)

Old
02-26-2013, 09:01 AM
markrander87

After some heavy thought the Fireworks are very pleased to select our number 6 dman-*Gennady Tsygankov, D.

He sures up our blueline with a steady defensive presence to play alongside Grant.

Gerard - Reardon
Grant - Tsygankov
Svedberg - Hajt

Can somebody please pm the next gm. I'm on my phone. Thanks

Old
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
After some heavy thought the Fireworks are very pleased to select our number 6 dman-*Gennady Tsygankov, D.
Darn I was considering him.. I think he is solid.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
TDMM and dreaks,...

Tarasov's Road to Olympus answers all these questions about his coaching style and player chemistry or lack of it in some cases.

I will gladly re-read it and provide indepth quotations on relevant sections. It was such a joy to read the first time. For the line-up assassination thread for sure, earlier if specific questions need answering (PM me).

(One of the best of the 50+ history books I bought from seventieslord a couple of years back.)
I really enjoyed this book as well, wish I had read it while I had Tarasov last year but I still have quite a pile of books left to be read of then ones I bought from jarek and there's not much rhyme or reason to the order I've been reading them.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
TDMM and dreaks,...

I have it don't worry about it (unless you just want to do it anyway haha)

Old
02-26-2013, 11:47 AM
vecens24

The Mystery Alaskans have acquired the Swamp Devils pick that is now OTC with this trade:

To New Jersey Swamp Devils:

431, 466, 559, 623

To Mystery Alaskans:

421, 518, 540, 613

--------------------------

With this selection, the Alaskans are happy to welcome Pierre Turgeon, C to the squad.

Turgeon will center our second line with George Hay and Jarome Iginla. This allows us to move Russell Bowie down to our third line, which will be a scoring line.

Turgeon's talents are well known, and his well-rounded offensive game will give us an extremely difficult 2nd line to deal with. Also, we feel Turgeon is an excellent fit who is well-insulated here, due to the fact that we already have two other strong scoring centers who can step in if he gets injured.

Here is a bio on him by seventieslord:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=230

Old
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
The Mystery Alaskans have acquired the Swamp Devils pick that is now OTC with this trade:

431, 466, 559, 623

To Mystery Alaskans:

421, 518, 540, 613

With this selection, the Alaskans are happy to welcome Pierre Turgeon, C to the squad.

Turgeon will center our second line with George Hay and Jarome Iginla. This allows us to move Russell Bowie down to our third line, which will be a scoring line.

Turgeon's talents are well known, and his well-rounded offensive game will give us an extremely difficult 2nd line to deal with. Also, we feel Turgeon is an excellent fit who is well-insulated here, due to the fact that we already have two other strong scoring centers who can step in if he gets injured.

A good reason to wait to pick a second line C is because people like this are available....

Old
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Hawkey Town 18

The Chicago Shamrocks select Ivan Hlinka, C

Hlinka will center our 3rd line.

Here's some info courtesy of EagleBelfour last year...
Quote:
Ivan Hlinka [1966-to-1981]

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 8th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 6th, 6th, 8th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 9th)

Top-10 Czech Hockey Stick (1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 9th)

WHC All-Star (1978)

Playoff: 126GP, 119PTS

NHL: 2 seasons - 137GP, 123PTS (Played in the NHL with a badly worn out knee after two operation)

- Leadership
- Excellent physique
- Great stickhandling
- Great wrist shot
- Excellent passer

Old
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

431, 466, 559, 623

To Mystery Alaskans:

421, 518, 540, 613

Good spot for the "Tin Man", his playoff scoring resume is very impressive. I definitely considered trading up but his one-dimensional play isn't something I'm coveting.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Wouldn't mind dealing my pick on deck. PM offers.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
A good reason to wait to pick a second line C is because people like this are available....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Good spot for the "Tin Man", his playoff scoring resume is very impressive. I definitely considered trading up but his one-dimensional play isn't something I'm coveting.
I happen to think that the Tin Man thing is a little overblown but I certainly wouldn't be counting on him for anything outside of the "easy" points.

And by easy I don't mean in execution (he was very talented) I mean the ones where you don't have to pay a price to get them.

He picked his spots even if we've recently tried to revise that for some reason.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
It wasn't until after his 10th season that Turgeon started missing games. Can't deny that he was injury prone after that, but during his prime, he was pretty healthy, wasn't he?

There's a reason we started that line with two-way George Hay and power-forward Jarome Iginla, and then took a reach on a guy like Vic Stasiuk. We knew one dimensional offensive centers would fall, but we honestly didn't expect a guy as good as Turgeon.

His scoring percentages are quite impressive - 89, 87, 86, 85, 83, 80, 80, 78, 75, 70, 70, 67, 61, 52

Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post

He sures up our blueline with a steady defensive presence to play alongside Grant.

Gerard - Reardon
Grant - Tsygankov
Svedberg - Hajt

Can somebody please pm the next gm. I'm on my phone. Thanks
For a team that didn't manage to get a high-end D, Mark did a good job making sure he completed a strong 6 man unit.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I happen to think that the Tin Man thing is a little overblown but I certainly wouldn't be counting on him for anything outside of the "easy" points.

And by easy I don't mean in execution (he was very talented) I mean the ones where you don't have to pay a price to get them.
There are lots of successful perimeter players that get drafted here. Those guys just need to have the right kind of line mates to make them fully effective. We're quite confident that Jarome Iginla is the perfect compliment for a guy like Pierre Turgeon, and having George Hay on the other wing helps too.

Quote:
He picked his spots even if we've recently tried to revise that for some reason.
That "some reason" would be the scouting reports that were written throughout Turgeon's career.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
There are lots of successful perimeter players that get drafted here. Those guys just need to have the right kind of line mates to make them fully effective. We're quite confident that Jarome Iginla is the perfect compliment for a guy like Pierre Turgeon, and having George Hay on the other wing helps too.
He is somewhat insulated on that line for sure but lets not pretend he's Doug Gilmour now.

Quote:
That "some reason" would be the scouting reports that were written throughout Turgeon's career.
You may want to read some of them, then. More then one of them questions his work ethic, desire and heart.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Turgeon was basically ruined by Dale Hunter's cheap shot in 1993, IMO. He was something of a perimeter player before then, but really started to play like a scared girl afterwards.

I wanted a hard working center next to Kovalchuk, so Turgeon wasn't on my radar at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
His scoring percentages are quite impressive - 89, 87, 86, 85, 83, 80, 80, 78, 75, 70, 70, 67, 61, 52
What's this? How are you calculating these numbers, exactly? These look like per-game numbers. If that is the case, you need to make that clear, dreak. Here are the numbers I have:

Pierre Turgeon:
89, 85, 82, 80, 78, 78, 77, 75, 70, 69, 67, 61, 52

...which are very good, most similar to Roenick, though a bit better. Nevertheless, a far cry from the numbers you posted.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I thought the early Soviets specifically didn't like their defensemen to join the rush. I know by the time of the Summit Series, they didn't
Tarasov did so much innovating that it's possible he used systems that went both ways.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Turgeon was basically ruined by Dale Hunter's cheap shot in 1993, IMO. He was something of a perimeter player before then, but really started to play like a scared girl afterwards.

I wanted a hard working center next to Kovalchuk, so Turgeon wasn't on my radar at all.
I honestly think that Al Arbour was getting through to him in '93.

You're right though after getting gooned by Hunter (which I will always despise him for by the way, he should have been thrown out of the NHL), Turgeon was worse than ever.

Closed Thread