HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Perfect game for the need to have an enforcer.

Put our enforcer/fighter on the ice when Neil is there. Engage, get Neil off the ice for 5 minutes as our part time player sits for 5 as well.

Or, have Neil running around tonight turning Pacioretty into his own personal whipping boy.

Not acceptable for a skill player to be abused like that. None whatsoever. And this is just Ottawa. Toronto and Boston coming up.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I watch all the games. He's taken a lot of really stupid penalties, he's...OK defensively, and adds very little offense. He's a good guy to have in the 12th/13th forward role, but him being in or out of the lineup is largely irrelevant. He does the rah rah stuff the fans love but we're not 1st in the East this year because of Ryan White. I know I'll get called soft here but guys like White are a dime a dozen and he's not an important piece.

Seriously.

Everyone wants a heavyweight enforcer, and then people get apprehensive about trading Ryan White for Parros. Come on. I just absolutely do not understand the Ryan White hard on. He's fine to have on your 4th line but he's a spare part and nothing more, he adds very little value and he really isn't even that great of a fighter.

Eller's really not above reproach but you can't deny that White's taken some absolutely bone headed penalties this year. He seems to have got the message since his 2nd press box stint, but he had a pretty bad record for reckless penalties. The difference is also that Eller is pretty significantly better at both ends of the ice than White. For White who already provides pretty low value in goal scoring terms to be taking reckless and careless penalties, he's negatively impacting the team with dumb penalties.
I guess you liked last year's 4th line better, right?

Old
02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Did I ever say that Nokelainen is better than White? Did I ever say that Leblanc was better last year than Armstrong is this year? Did I ever say that the grab bag of LW's on the 4th line last year were better than Moen? Our 4th line is better this year and I like what they've been doing, but it's more because we have Moen finally back on the 4th line instead of on Plekanec's wing, and having a decent 4th liner in Armstrong instead of whatever useless plug we sign off the waiver wire.

Explain what your issue with the way I've categorized Ryan White is. I called him a 12th/13th forward who is not a core piece.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Did I ever say that Nokelainen is better than White? Did I ever say that Leblanc was better last year than Armstrong is this year? Did I ever say that the grab bag of LW's on the 4th line last year were better than Moen? Our 4th line is better this year and I like what they've been doing, but it's more because we have Moen finally back on the 4th line instead of on Plekanec's wing, and having a decent 4th liner in Armstrong instead of whatever useless plug we sign off the waiver wire.

Explain what your issue with the way I've categorized Ryan White is. I called him a 12th/13th forward who is not a core piece.
Maybe face offs?

Armstrong is decent? Not sure if I can take you seriously.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Maybe face offs?

Armstrong is decent? Not sure if I can take you seriously.
Elaborate please. Don't turn this into a "you obviously don't know hockey" thing. What makes Ryan White more than a 12/13th forward. What makes Ryan White a core player that we don't want to part with.

As for the faceoffs thing, were you saying that White being a good faceoff guy makes him better than a 12th/13th forward? If so, I can understand the logic there but I disagree.

Last edited by Noob616: 02-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Perfect game for the need to have an enforcer.

Put our enforcer/fighter on the ice when Neil is there. Engage, get Neil off the ice for 5 minutes as our part time player sits for 5 as well.

Or, have Neil running around tonight turning Pacioretty into his own personal whipping boy.

Not acceptable for a skill player to be abused like that. None whatsoever. And this is just Ottawa. Toronto and Boston coming up.
So how come Neil hasn't been running wild and taking advantage of our lack of enforcer

Old
02-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So how come Neil hasn't been running wild and taking advantage of our lack of enforcer
He's afraid of the wrath of Ryan White

Old
02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Habs

Yes , I believe we do.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Maxpac

An enforcer can't do worse than Colby Armstrong, that's for sure. Reeves or Boilig please.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:07 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
An enforcer can't do worse than Colby Armstrong, that's for sure. Reeves or Boilig please.
I beg to differ

Old
02-25-2013, 11:00 PM
sergejean

We don't need an enforcer who would play less than 5 minutes per game. What we need is another Brandon Prust. Could Kyle Clifford in LA be an intersting target? If not, who could fit the bill?

Old
02-26-2013, 05:44 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Come on man.

Last year's Habs team was missing Gomez, Gionta, Moen, Cammalleri, for periods of time.

When multiple injuries happen, 3rd liners become 2nd liners, 4th liners become 3rd liners, and AHLers become 4th liners.

It was Geoffrion-Leblanc-White down the stretch on the 4th line, or something like that. This year if we were missing three forwards it might be Nokelainen-Dumont-Blunden, not much better

Old
02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
We don't need an enforcer who would play less than 5 minutes per game. What we need is another Brandon Prust. Could Kyle Clifford in LA be an intersting target? If not, who could fit the bill?
no, Clifford is not intersting. We already have Clifford clone in Prust, Moen and White. We need someone who can take heavy.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Brian McGrattan on waivers

insert enforcer fanbus claim posts in 3....2......

Old
02-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Mrb1p

Well if it's for actually taking one on waivers I couldnt care less. We're not losing better players for a better fighter.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I posted this on the trade forum...

Add the odd pick/prospect here or there, I'd like something around:

To
  • Yannick Weber
  • Ryan White

To
  • George Parros
  • Jerred Smithson

We all know Parros. He's no all-star, but he can play hockey in a limited role on the 4th line. Cap hit of $938k this year and next.

For those who don't know Smithson, he's a 6'3" 210 lbs right handed center with 43 hits already this season, and with a faceoff percentage of 55.2%. Pending UFA.
That's a horrible trade. Florida has Smithson on waivers a month ago so he has little to no value. White the way he is playing now is worth 5x more. Parros brings nothing taht we don't already have, if MB wanted him we would have signed him in the summer. If we want a goon real bad, McGrattan is on waivers.

A deal like that would be horrible asset management, White and weber could bring us back 5x the trade value of those two.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
Wouldn't White or Moen be another Prust?

I would have no issue having McGrattan as 23rd roster player, but right now we have 23 plus one on IR...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Sooo... Bourque to retroactive IR, McGrattan claimed in time to launch him out of the torpedo tubes against the fearsome Orr et co. Wednesday night, then after the dust settles we'll probably have other IR moves to make, so probably ample room to continue carrying McGrattan...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Asif16*

DOnt you guys have like Zach stortini or something?? Or do you not? Is he not a heavyweight? Or am i dumb

Old
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
DOnt you guys have like Zach stortini or something?? Or do you not? Is he not a heavyweight? Or am i dumb
He's on the bulldogs, but not actually signed with Montreal. If we were really desperate for a heavyweight he'd likely be the first option for us. That being said, I don't see the team signing him, let alone calling him up.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Asif16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
He's on the bulldogs, but not actually signed with Montreal. If we were really desperate for a heavyweight he'd likely be the first option for us. That being said, I don't see the team signing him, let alone calling him up.
kk. Thnx. The leafs are prolly gonna dress Orr with mclaren again. Mark fraser will on the back end. You guys are lucky cuz Mike brown got injured after wupping a flyer players ass, or else he would playing too. You guys planning on putting out a tougher lineup? Honestly i think getting the 2 point is more important

Old
02-26-2013, 12:39 PM
bud12

Mcgrattan is on waivers.

Edit: I'm late

Old
02-26-2013, 12:53 PM
sergejean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
no, Clifford is not intersting. We already have Clifford clone in Prust, Moen and White. We need someone who can take heavy.
Prust is way more valuable than Moen and White. What I'd be looking for is someone who can play 10+ minutes, contribute and willing to protect his teamates. I don't really care if he wins most of the fights or not as long as he doesn't get his ass whooped. Moen may be able to somewhat contribute but doesn't seem eager to do the dirty work. White is willing but limited in terms of talent. Is Clifford more of a Moen type or Prust type?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
sergejean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Wouldn't White or Moen be another Prust?

I would have no issue having McGrattan as 23rd roster player, but right now we have 23 plus one on IR...
No, Moen and White are not equal to Prust. As for McGratton, the guy can't play hockey so would be useless in MT's system which rely on contribution from all four lines.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
CN_paladin

I strongly believe Bourque got his concussion when he got KOed by Orr during that blowout game at the Bell Centre.

We need a legit heavyweight for sure but which one of them can actually keep up with the game?

Closed Thread