HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

View Poll Results: If CAR retains 50% of Alexander Semin's salary, should the Caps be interested?
Yes 27 50.94%
No 11 20.75%
Somebody shoot me 15 28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think the A's were Oates' decision, FWIW. At least that was how he made it sound.
Is not Oates part of the Caps.

Oates who once captained the Capitals decides to give the "A" to Brouwer, to me that would suggest that Oates saw something in Brouwer that he thought made him to be his choice to have the A. I think I'll put a lot more stock in what Adam Oates does than what I read on these boards.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post

Oates who once captained the Capitals decides to give the "A" to Brouwer, to me that would suggest that Oates saw something in Brouwer that he thought made him to be his choice to have the A. I think I'll put a lot more stock in what Adam Oates does than what I read on these boards.
Sure he is (although by no means is he "a majority"), but then you're implicitly saying you think Backstrom, Green, and Laich are even better than Brouwer in that respect since they're ahead of him in line for the A. Which is to say we have no way of knowing how much weight Oates actually gives it. Just that, to me, he probably sees Brouwer as one of his more reliable key guys (which fits with how he's been used this year, if nothing else).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Halpysback

that wouldn't be the same adam oates who all but quit on the team while playing here would it now?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Yes, because if Ovechkin is any indication, the league should be envious of the types we choose for the ring of Captaincy.
Brouwer's comments have really been a moment of tenesmus for many of you here.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 01-08-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think I'll put a lot more stock in what Adam Oates does than what I read on these boards.
If there is one thing that is constant in the hockey universe, is the faux superiority complex that fans always use as a trump card.

"If you played the sport, you'd know..."

"Blahblah is coaching, so I'd trust their opinion over yours..."

"Bleepityboop is a player in the NHL, he clearly knows more than you..."

You never hear that **** in literally any other sports' fandom.

Imagine if you didn't have to know the game, to know the game.

Many coaches never even played the ****ing game, yet can run a bench. Imagine that.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
If there is one thing that is constant in the hockey universe, is the faux superiority complex that fans always use as a trump card.

Many coaches never even played the ****ing game, yet can run a bench. Imagine that.
Not surprising, appeals to authority don't require grinding as many gears upstairs as appeals to reason.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Can you tell which side supports an environment of zero accountability and excuses?
That would be the side that lets all bad play by canadian grinders slide because they're canadian grinders and acknowledges none of the good play by soft russians because they're soft russians.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Did Brouwer venture into unchartered waters with his comments about Semin. There was Matt Bradley and David Steckel before there was Troy Brouwer. Not sure if I've ever heard of another NHL player receiving such comments from former teammates. FBI might call it a clue.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:32 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:

Right, so if we are not the head coach of the team, then we are not qualified to grade the results or have opinions about the decisions?

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Right, so if we are not the head coach of the team, then we are not qualified to grade the results or have opinions about the decisions?
What I picked up on was, "he's the coach, thus incapable of being wrong".

In the game = All the answers.

Fans = Just idiots with a mouth.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
that wouldn't be the same adam oates who all but quit on the team while playing here would it now?
Not to mention his finest hour when he proceeded to freeze TDL addition Linden out because he saw him as a threat to his leadership and the Caps then proceeded krap the bed in the playoffs.

Oates the leader at his best...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Basically every line in the above post is wrong. Many times the truth is best left unsaid. It may be the truth that every Caps player thinks Sydney Crosby is a whiny baby or a raging queer, but if they all said that in public do you think that would have any benefit for the Caps at all? Of course not.

He was talking about the environment last year, which serves no purpose whatsoever for this year. And calling Brouwer a "respected Caps leader" is a stretch. You have no idea what the rest of the Caps think about Brouwer, but you could probably go ask Neuvy, Hamr, or maybe Ovi too.

A culture of accountability always starts with blaming other people for your problems, and with claiming that being in last place is "doing well". Yep, that's the hallmark of accountability right there.

What he said might have been tactless and best left inside the dressing room but it's true. And until they start saying 2+2 is 4 they aren't going to fix what's made them flame out the last 5 years.

Brouwer is a respected leader. Him stating that one guy and a lackadaisical work environment were issues is not "blaming others" it's speaking the truth.

If fans believe Semin was the glue holding them together then exactly what was he holding together? A perennially underachieving team? A team with skill but lacking discipline and leadership at literally every turn?

Keep it in the dressing room next time I agreed but I have no issue with what he said...even the we are fine part. He wasn't saying the team is awesome just intimating that whatever the issue is it wouldn't be solved with Semin.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
What he said might have been tactless and best left inside the dressing room but it's true. And until they start saying 2+2 is 4 they aren't going to fix what's made them flame out the last 5 years.

Brouwer is a respected leader. Him stating that one guy and a lackadaisical work environment were issues is not "blaming others" it's speaking the truth.

If fans believe Semin was the glue holding them together then exactly what was he holding together? A perennially underachieving team? A team with skill but lacking discipline and leadership at literally every turn?

Keep it in the dressing room next time I agreed but I have no issue with what he said...even the we are fine part. He wasn't saying the team is awesome just intimating that whatever the issue is it wouldn't be solved with Semin.
I don't think anyone, at least on here, is disputing the truthfulness of TB's statement, just it's appropriateness and timing. Because something is true does not automatically mean it should be stated in public. But if something does need to be told, there can be an important distinction in the timing of when its told. Additionally the "we're doing fine" comment simply looks bad.

Frankly, firing up your opponent right before you play them is the issue here, and its a long standing amateur move. Brouwer should have known better... So we'll see tonight if we get apathetic Semin of God Mode Semin. Place your bets now....

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Not to mention his finest hour when he proceeded to freeze TDL addition Linden out because he saw him as a threat to his leadership and the Caps then proceeded krap the bed in the playoffs.

Oates the leader at his best...
Man for as many issues as you have with many different Caps players, I'm surprised you haven't started rooting for another team.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think anyone, at least on here, is disputing the truthfulness of TB's statement, just it's appropriateness and timing. Because something is true does not automatically mean it should be stated in public. But if something does need to be told, there can be an important distinction in the timing of when its told. Additionally the "we're doing fine" comment simply looks bad.

Frankly, firing up your opponent right before you play them is the issue here, and its a long standing amateur move. Brouwer should have known better... So we'll see tonight if we get apathetic Semin of God Mode Semin. Place your bets now....
The usual Semin supporters are certainly disputing what Brouwer said, both here and on the main board.

I'd agree with the public thing....no reason to stir up a crap storm. Reality though, it probably riled up the fanboys more than the player being discussed. One of his elite skills is apathy.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I can admit to not agreeing at all with the fact we are "doing well" in last place.

Maybe my idea of "doing well" was a bit skewed by those President's Trophy/#1 seed seasons...

Old
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Man for as many issues as you have with many different Caps players, I'm surprised you haven't started rooting for another team.

The jilted girlfriend flu must be going around...
You don't have an issue with a fantastic TDL pickup being ostracized by the captain at the time for no other reason than said TDL pickup was thought of as a great leader and said captain felt threatened?

Really...?

And I live in the DC area and have season tickets. Who am I supposed to root for?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

People still can't get past the too literal interpretation of "doing well". If that's the stumbling block, there are bigger problems to deal with.

Get over the fact that he wasn't referring to the team's current position in the standings, but rather the chemistry in the room, and you're on the right path.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
You don't have an issue with a fantastic TDL pickup being ostracized by the captain at the time for no other reason than said TDL pickup was thought of as a great leader and said captain felt threatened?

Really...?

And I live in the DC area and have season tickets. Who am I supposed to root for?
Questioning the legitimacy of others' fandom is CCF's favorite and only tactic. Is this really the first time he's pulled it on you?

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
The usual Semin supporters are certainly disputing what Brouwer said, both here and on the main board.
Yeah I have no problem disputing that 'all in all' they are doing 'well.'

Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Really...?

I have more of an issue with calling that bum (Linden) a "fantastic TDL pickup" than I do with some comments that were made 12 damned years ago. Get over it....

And please...to use one of your patented responses, do you have a link to support this malarkey?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Halpysback

If you're in last place and there's great chemistry in the room that means the team has collectively stopped giving a ****

Yeah, I bet they're "doing well" now that Semin isn't there to prod them on to be all they can be and challenge them to do better.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Can't see the forest for the trees.....

Old
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
txpd

no...thats not it. they are buying into what oates is selling. playing right is more important than winning. playing right creates the good vibes in the room. winning is secondary.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think CCF has a very Clintonesque definition of "all".

"It all depends on what your definition of "all" is"