HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Alex Smith traded to the Chiefs for 34th overall pick+conditional 2014 mid-rounder

Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

vCash: 500
woooo been calling this since RG3 took over the skins (more like hopeful thinking though )

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
I read somewhere (I forget where) that it's a 3rd plus a late rounder.
Seems about right value.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Hopefully it isn't the Chiefs... Smith is still one of my favorite players, and I'd hate to see him going to such a garbage organization.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I doubt it's more than a 6th. The guy has an underwhelming resume and only one relatively expensive year left on his deal. He has no upside either.
You're wrong about everything here.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Pretty much. Actually laughed when I read it.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Really? Maybe the first part but does Alex Smith really have much higher to go? I think it's what you see is what you get.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Really? Maybe the first part but does Alex Smith really have much higher to go? I think it's what you see is what you get.
This is the way I see it:

Quote:
I doubt it's more than a 6th.
He will fetch more than just a 6th.

Quote:
The guy has an underwhelming resume
Maybe if you're comparing him to other #1 picks or using his old stats. But, for the last 3 years, he's been an above average NFl QB.

Quote:
and only one relatively expensive year left on his deal.
He has 2 years left on his deal at 7 per. None of which is guaranteed.

Quote:
He has no upside either.
Well, he's a definite upgrade over Sanchez, Cassel, or Gabbert. That's for sure.

In terms of him actually getting even better than what he is now? That's hard to say. But, he has improved overall in each of the last 3 seasons. Also, he wasn't benched this year because he was playing bad. Harbaugh felt he had a better qb on the roster and he proved to be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
Pretty much. Actually laughed when I read it.
As did I.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:38 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Well, he's a definite upgrade over Sanchez, Cassel, or Gabbert. That's for sure.
And it was the Chiefs who traded a very high 2nd round pick for Cassel. I think that's why they'll pony up more than just a 2nd round pick for Smith.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Hockeyfan02

Wherever Smith goes I hope he has success. As a 49ers fan I've followed his whole career, all of the ups and downs and will root for the guy unless he's in the division or playing the 49ers.

I think it'd be a good move for the Chiefs if that's the team. There's no franchise guy in this year's class that's ready to start from day one. They can give up a pick for Smith to start the next year or two and draft someone else to develop into a starter.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
And it was the Chiefs who traded a very high 2nd round pick for Cassel. I think that's why they'll pony up more than just a 2nd round pick for Smith.
And a completely different management staff. I think a 3rd plus a conditional pick is gonna be close to the return. Chiefs 2nd rounder is awfully high in a very deep draft.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Quote:
Scott Pioli isn't there anymore, not a chance they give up that much.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

How on earth has Smith proven he can win? He has been a passenger on a very good team. The fact that people are comparing him to Cassel, Kolb and Sanchez speaks to how crappy of a QB he really is. The guy managed to put up game manager numbers on a team which was stacked on both sides of the ball. The guy is a spot starter who would be a good mentor, nothing more. The guy would've been a journeyman in the league if not for his draft position. Anybody who pays a 3rd for him regrets it in less than a year.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
Scott Pioli isn't there anymore, not a chance they give up that much.
There is enough evidence out there to suggest that the going rate for a good QB is at least a 2nd round pick if not more.

Matt Cassel- A very high 2nd.
Kevin Kolb- 2nd plus dominique rodgers cromartie
Matt Schaub- Two 2nds and a move down two spots in the first round.
Jay Cutler- Two firsts, a 2nd and Kyle Orton.

The RG3 trade should be referenced as well given the quality/quantity of picks it took the Redskins to acquire him.

Only Cutler out of this group was a proven starter at the time of the trade. Kolb had never played more than 8 games in a season. Schaub had only thrown 160+ passes in 3 seasons as a backup before he was traded as well.

Smith is a proven starter who has helped San Fran to two straight playoff appearances ( I count this season as well). He won't get what Cutler got for the Broncos, but it's possible that he'll get somewhere in the neighbourhood of what Schaub fetched for.

You may think that's a lot, but there is precedence for this kind of trade, and not just some sort of theoretical value that you've placed on him.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Andy Reid with Alex Smith?

Hmmm...

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The pick will probably be for next year considering the Niners have more than enough picks this year.

And KC will probably be hesitant to part with high picks in each round this year.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
How on earth has Smith proven he can win? He has been a passenger on a very good team. The fact that people are comparing him to Cassel, Kolb and Sanchez speaks to how crappy of a QB he really is. The guy managed to put up game manager numbers on a team which was stacked on both sides of the ball. The guy is a spot starter who would be a good mentor, nothing more. The guy would've been a journeyman in the league if not for his draft position. Anybody who pays a 3rd for him regrets it in less than a year.
A journeyman?

You're a bad troll.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
The RG3 trade should be referenced as well given the quality/quantity of picks it took the Redskins to acquire him.
RG3 was fresh outta college with his whole career ahead of him.

Smith, good as he is and he is, is almost 30 and entering his ninth season. Lotta wear n tear on those tires.

Slight difference there buddy, he'll get a high 3rd and a late pick, no way anyone gives up a 2nd straight up for him

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
RG3 was fresh outta college with his whole career ahead of him.

Smith, good as he is and he is, is almost 30 and entering his ninth season. Lotta wear n tear on those tires.
Slight difference there buddy, he'll get a high 3rd and a late pick, no way anyone gives up a 2nd straight up for him
Smith is 28 right now. Kolb and Schaub were traded when they were around 26/27 years old. Kolb and Schaub went for more than a 2nd round pick, considerably more. Smith also had a better resume than those two at the time of the trades. Your assessment of a "high 3rd and a late pick" is based on completely nothing. You don't think anyone gives up a 2nd, but I've already given evidence that teams have been willing to give up at least a 2nd round pick to acquire a similar QB.

Wear and tear doesn't affect QB as much as it does other positions. They can play until their mid-to-late 30's. It's not a concern for Smith.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Resume doesn't mean that much really, what matters is how decisionmakers rate him.

Personally, I see him as the kinda guy who probably won't screw it up for you but probably won't be good for all that much extra value himself. So basically he would be okay for a team that has a lot of other parts in place and just needs a non-trainwreck at QB to be competitive. But a bad team that needs a transformational type franchise QB, no way he can shoulder that and succeed.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Resume doesn't mean that much really, what matters is how decisionmakers rate him.

Personally, I see him as the kinda guy who probably won't screw it up for you but probably won't be good for all that much extra value himself. So basically he would be okay for a team that has a lot of other parts in place and just needs a non-trainwreck at QB to be competitive. But a bad team that needs a transformational type franchise QB, no way he can shoulder that and succeed.
I think KC is a good fit. They looked absolutely horrible at times this year, but I think their talent is much better than their record. Semi-competent QB play with Jamaal Charles should be a pretty solid offense.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Clowe Me

If KC can somehow keep Bowe, Smith would have some targets on offense. Moeaki will be targeted more and some of the load will come off of Charles.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

I think calling Alex Smith a "non-trainwreck" is under-selling his abilities a bit. Yeah San Fran may have been stacked on both sides of the ball, but it still takes a good QB to put up decent stats, and lead the team to victories, which Smith has done the last two seasons.

At the very least, he's probably a very good game manager. It's probably not what KC needs, but it's unlikely they can do any better than Smith.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Despite his great numbers, San Fran replaced him as soon as they could. They decided to go into the playoffs with a guy who had less than 10 starts instead. Smith played enough games that we know who he is as a player. Why would a rebuilding team trade a relatively high pick for a guy who won't lead them anywhere? The guy is in the Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton tier of QBs. Guys like that get released every year.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
catters078

If the chiefs to get Smith and they decide to keep albert, should they really look at drafting warmack 1 overall? I think so.

I know its taboo to draft a guard that high, but he is an amazing prospect. And IMO there is no elite standout number 1 pick this year 5-6 players can be viewed as BPA.

If they keep albert at LT and draft Warmack at Guard it willsolidify the O line and we saw when smith has a good line plus running back he is very efficeint.

It just seems to me if they draft joekel they will release albert which IMO does not necessarily improve their o line.

They could let go of the headache bowe and draft a WR like Deandre Hopkins or Justin hunter at the 34 mark (or trade up to 22-24 for keenan allen or tavon austin if they are there.)

Warmack on the inside will be benficial to charles too.

In
A Smith
Warmack
Top WR prospect

out

bowe

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Don't count out Andy Reid drafting guards. Two years ago the Eagles drafted Danny Watkins and he was 26.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote