HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mathletic's Top 60 Prospects for the 2014 NHL Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
  #26
Lazarrr
Registered User
 
Lazarrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 500
Was looking through the OHL scoring and saw Matthew Mistele with 46 points in 50 games! Even though he's a year older, that's still really good. I wonder how he'll perform next year when several of the key Whalers players are gone. Have only seen the Whalers play once, but this is the first time I've ever heard his name haha.

Lazarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
  #27
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
Was looking through the OHL scoring and saw Matthew Mistele with 46 points in 50 games! Even though he's a year older, that's still really good. I wonder how he'll perform next year when several of the key Whalers players are gone. Have only seen the Whalers play once, but this is the first time I've ever heard his name haha.
If he were available this year I'd have him 21st overall, so even though he's a little older he's still projecting fine so far.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  #28
DJB
Registered User
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,056
vCash: 8579
Spencer Watson, LW, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

Kid is going to be terrific. He's already the best player on Kingston most nights.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
  #29
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Spencer Watson, LW, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

Kid is going to be terrific. He's already the best player on Kingston most nights.
I really like what I'm hearing from this kid. For now his size isn't much of an issue but going forward it would be ideal for him to gain some weight.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
  #30
arsmaster
semantic romantic
 
arsmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Spencer Watson, LW, Kingston Frontenacs, OHL

Kid is going to be terrific. He's already the best player on Kingston most nights.
I hate how the stupid OHL website lists him as a left handed shot.

He's a righty.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:10 PM
  #31
griffpf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
what about ryan pilon,lethbridge hurricanes, seems like a solid play making dman has 24 pts in 40 games as a 16 year old not bad

griffpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:17 PM
  #32
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffpf View Post
what about ryan pilon,lethbridge hurricanes, seems like a solid play making dman has 24 pts in 40 games as a 16 year old not bad
Late birthdate 2015 is his draft

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
  #33
griffpf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Late birthdate 2015 is his draft
oh okay forgot to look at that haha

griffpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
  #34
euro35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Interesting list if based on numbers how do you have Warriors Brayden Point at 38
he is the leading scoring among 16 year olds 10 pts ahead of Phillip who you have at 16 many of your ranking # way off you are from ontario I take it .

euro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
  #35
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Herbst will be a question mark for all teams. He's had 2 surgeries now on his knee to work on his meniscus. He's been shutdown for this whole season and apparently(rumour) underwent that second surgery a couple weeks ago.

It's an uphill battle for him especially in dealing with the meniscus.


Last edited by JL17: 02-26-2013 at 01:24 PM.
JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
  #36
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro35 View Post
Interesting list if based on numbers how do you have Warriors Brayden Point at 38
he is the leading scoring among 16 year olds 10 pts ahead of Phillip who you have at 16 many of your ranking # way off you are from ontario I take it .
Size will be an issue for him going forward. Although size isn't as important for forwards, Point will have to gain weight before he can climb the rankings.

As for Philp, I had some info not entered right, like that he is a late-95, so his correct rank is not 16, he should end up somewhere in the 2nd-3rd round.

Not sure if I understand the last part of your message right but no I'm not from Ontario. I'm from Quebec, anyways, all my rankings are based on stats, so it's not like it matters a whole lot where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Herbst will be a question mark for all teams. He's had 2 surgeries now on his knee to work on his meniscus. He's been shutdown for this whole season and apparently(rumour) underwent that second surgery a couple weeks ago.

It's an uphill battle for him especially in dealing with the meniscus.
It's unfortunate, he looked like a good prospect coming out of Midget hockey.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
  #37
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Brandon Prophet

Nice to see Prophet get some love on this list. If you didn't tell anyone, I guarantee you no one would be able to tell he is a rookie this year. He looks like an 18 yr out there nost nights. The one thing that is his weak point though is that he does have a tendency to get caught flat footed and get blown by, leading to a hooking or interference call. But other than that he has been the best defensive prospect to come through Saginaw since T.J. Brodie. (Not counting Oleksiak because he wasn't drafted out of Saginaw).

Kingpin794 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 PM
  #38
euro35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Size will be an issue for him going forward. Although size isn't as important for forwards, Point will have to gain weight before he can climb the rankings.

As for Philp, I had some info not entered right, like that he is a late-95, so his correct rank is not 16, he should end up somewhere in the 2nd-3rd round.

Not sure if I understand the last part of your message right but no I'm not from Ontario. I'm from Quebec, anyways, all my rankings are based on stats, so it's not like it matters a whole lot where I'm from.



It's unfortunate, he looked like a good prospect coming out of Midget hockey.
Not sure how much you think Point weighs but its not the 148 you read on the hockey Canada Web site that was weight last summer Points not huge but he will be 5ft 10 170 next season Draft year not big but not tiny.Point is 160lbs now According to the Warriors.Start of season 5ft 8 155 late maturing kid

euro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:31 AM
  #39
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
For a guy who is so high on offensive players, I'm surprised to see Draisaitl that low.
Ditto for Goldobin

dean youngblood82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
  #40
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,552
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro35 View Post
Not sure how much you think Point weighs but its not the 148 you read on the hockey Canada Web site that was weight last summer Points not huge but he will be 5ft 10 170 next season Draft year not big but not tiny.Point is 160lbs now According to the Warriors.Start of season 5ft 8 155 late maturing kid
Size is an issue. Lots of talent but very small. Not sure why you are trying to argue otherwise. It is what it is. And that tends to affect where a player gets taken in the draft.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:44 AM
  #41
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted
 
sunsoutgunsout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 400
Draisaitl is going to continue to climb. He'll be a top five pick next year, he's a tremendous talent.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  #42
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,552
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Draisaitl is going to continue to climb. He'll be a top five pick next year, he's a tremendous talent.
He has the potential to go that high for sure.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
  #43
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
call me crazy but you should switch Bennett with Watson.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
  #44
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro35 View Post
Not sure how much you think Point weighs but its not the 148 you read on the hockey Canada Web site that was weight last summer Points not huge but he will be 5ft 10 170 next season Draft year not big but not tiny.Point is 160lbs now According to the Warriors.Start of season 5ft 8 155 late maturing kid
If he ends up at 5'10 170 for next year's draft then fine, it won't matter as much Until then I'll keep the 5'8 155 measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Ditto for Goldobin
Both are late 95's, so they are further ahead in their development than most kids in this draft Especially for Golodbin who also has a year experience in the MHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
call me crazy but you should switch Bennett with Watson.
It may well happen in the near future, both look like solid players. That said, all my players are based on stats so.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
  #45
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Matheltic if you base your draft on stats then how come Bukarts is lower than Arkhip Nekolenko?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
  #46
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,569
vCash: 500
Barbashev is pretty low imo.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
  #47
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Well, it's not because you're granted a special status by the CHL that you will automatically be the n'1 pick in the draft. Rico Fata once was given special status. Although Ekblad is looking like a solid player, I'm not sure he has the offensive potential of a kid like Set Jones for example.
Fata was not granted special status. He was allowed to play as a 15 year old due to a rule that allowed underage players to play for their hometown OHL team if they were good enough to make the team. Fata would not have been granted exceptional status under current rules, definitely not. He struggled as a 15 year old and was not a star as a 16 year old.

Ekblad on the other hand was a number one defensemen at 15, at top defensemen in the OHL at 16, and I suspect he could be the best defensemen in the CHL next season.

I don't know how you couldn't have Ekblad number one at this point, no offense to Nylander and Reinhart who are shaping up to be first overall talents in their own right. We're getting blessed by having two defensemen with generational talent potential two drafts in a row.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
  #48
TheNorthFace
The Magician
 
TheNorthFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
Interesting. I'd have Nick Ritchie much higher than 50 though. Good list nonetheless.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
  #49
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
If he ends up at 5'10 170 for next year's draft then fine, it won't matter as much Until then I'll keep the 5'8 155 measurement.



Both are late 95's, so they are further ahead in their development than most kids in this draft Especially for Golodbin who also has a year experience in the MHL.



It may well happen in the near future, both look like solid players. That said, all my players are based on stats so.
Ya i expect it to happen early on next year.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
  #50
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Matheltic if you base your draft on stats then how come Bukarts is lower than Arkhip Nekolenko?
Bukarts is a late-95 whereas Nekolenko is a 96. This would be the maine reason why. Bukarts is also in his 2nd MHL season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't know how you couldn't have Ekblad number one at this point, no offense to Nylander and Reinhart who are shaping up to be first overall talents in their own right. We're getting blessed by having two defensemen with generational talent potential two drafts in a row.
Nylander is looking like a special talent and has a better shot at n'1 on my list than Ekblad does at this point. Nylander has been great in every league he's been from the U18, U20 and already off to a great start in the Allsvenskan as a 16 year old. Sam Reinhart, after a slow start, has picked up the pace greatly this year and is showing very good potential as well. The same goes for Dal Colle.

This is nothing against Ekblad who I think is a very good player. That said, from all the research I can make, forwards will hold more value at the draft than d-men. I made the same case for Jones at n'4 this year. This is not to say that Jones isn't a good player, it's just that forwards with high-end potential are more valuable. They're harder to get on the open market in the NHL, and they're for the most part selected very high in the draft.

I'll re-post what I wrote in the other thread about the 2013 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
My main arguments for having MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov ahead of Jones would be the following. The top forwards in the game tend to impact the game more so than top d-men and top goalies.

Simplifying things down to a minimum, I would not trade Alex Pietrangelo for Carey Price nor would I trade Steven Stamkos for Alex Pietrangelo.

I think high end forwards are more rare than high end d-men. If we take a look at some of the high end forwards in the league we'd find that most of them would have been selected very high in the draft. For example, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Seguin, etc. There would some lower picks like Giroux, Neal, Eberle and so on, there are some but there are fewer than there would be for D's and goalies.

For instance, on defense guys like Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, Boyle, Yandle, Burns, Visnovski, Byfuglien, Keith, Subban, etc. were available later in their draft years.

Also, d-men tend to be more sensitive to the team they are one. A good d-man put on a weaker team won't shine as much as he'd be on a good team, whereas forwards tend to be more consistent.

I give MackInnon, Drouin and Barkov the same grades I'd give to players like Stamkos, Tavares, Kane and so on, so it's almost by default they end up high on the list. That said, it's not like Jones isn't a premium prospect.

So, with that said, nothing against Brodin nor Hamilton, they're both great prospects but I'd still take the RNHs, Landeskogs, Huberdeaus of this world ahead of them.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.