HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
  #951
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Why shouldn't we buy him out.
Who will take his place? If there was a legitimate option to replace him, I would consider it. But there is no one realistically in the organization at this point and no one IIRC that is going to be a free agent this season. This means trade or go with Joe Schmo for at least a year.

I think if he craps out the rest of the season, and there is someone there to replace him, buy him out. If he plays well or Boosh is our option at starter next year, you gotta keep him (unless the Flyers are planning on tanking for a couple years, which I doubt).

BP1974 is right, Bryz is the reason the Flyers aren't in an even worse position than they currently are. He hasn't always been pretty and he has slowed down a bit, but this team could be staring at even less points if Bryz wasn't playing the way he was.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
  #952
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Bryz has been fine. He's been by far the best player on the team, and it was painfully clear about 5 games ago that he needed a rest. His movements have been way less crisp. This one is on Holmgren.

As far as that goal last night, as bad as it was, anyone who has played goal will tell you that's the most deceptively difficult shot possible. A matter of inches in that situation dictates what method of save you attempt, and in a play like that where its somewhat ambiguous where the player will shoot, it becomes a very difficult save.

ArmchairGM is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
  #953
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Who will take his place? If there was a legitimate option to replace him, I would consider it. But there is no one realistically in the organization at this point and no one IIRC that is going to be a free agent this season. This means trade or go with Joe Schmo for at least a year.

I think if he craps out the rest of the season, and there is someone there to replace him, buy him out. If he plays well or Boosh is our option at starter next year, you gotta keep him (unless the Flyers are planning on tanking for a couple years, which I doubt).

BP1974 is right, Bryz is the reason the Flyers aren't in an even worse position than they currently are. He hasn't always been pretty and he has slowed down a bit, but this team could be staring at even less points if Bryz wasn't playing the way he was.
Unfortunately we have to use the buyouts when they are available. He has to be bought out, regardless of his replacement.

There are "serviceable" stopgaps (Theodore, possibly Nabokov) or perhaps we could trade for one of LA, STL, OTTs glut of Goalies.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  #954
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Who will take his place? If there was a legitimate option to replace him, I would consider it. But there is no one realistically in the organization at this point and no one IIRC that is going to be a free agent this season. This means trade or go with Joe Schmo for at least a year.

I think if he craps out the rest of the season, and there is someone there to replace him, buy him out. If he plays well or Boosh is our option at starter next year, you gotta keep him (unless the Flyers are planning on tanking for a couple years, which I doubt).

BP1974 is right, Bryz is the reason the Flyers aren't in an even worse position than they currently are. He hasn't always been pretty and he has slowed down a bit, but this team could be staring at even less points if Bryz wasn't playing the way he was.
There are comparable (or better) options available via free agency this year. Most/all of which would cost less than Bryz and require a lesser contract term than the 7 years remaining on Bryz after this yr.

Tim Thomas is one legitimate option and he is unquestionably better than Bryz.

Niklas Backstrom is the premium option out there.

Nabokov and Khabibulin are both older goalies who would likely get 1 year deals for ~2.5M or less and both are in situations right now where their teams are even worse defensively than the Flyers, yet both consistently post better #s than Bryz.

Mike Smith, the Coyotes goalie who has posted better #s there than Bryz did, is a free agent.

Ray Emery is playing quite well for the Blackhawks and will be a free agent.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #955
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Unfortunately we have to use the buyouts when they are available. He has to be bought out, regardless of his replacement.

There are "serviceable" stopgaps (Theodore, possibly Nabokov) or perhaps we could trade for one of LA, STL, OTTs glut of Goalies.
He absolutely does not HAVE to be bought out. His contract is bad. Too long and too much money. But that alone is not reason to buy someone out. That could put you in a similar situation for the same amount of time. You buy him out, then you have a bunch of stopgaps for the next seven years, none of which are very good, but have better contracts. Great. That fixes nothing. You have a chance to get a franchise goalie somehwere in there, but there is also a chance that Bryz gets hot and stays hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
There are comparable (or better) options available via free agency this year. Most/all of which would cost less than Bryz and require a lesser contract term than the 7 years remaining on Bryz after this yr.
Not really. (see below)

Quote:
Tim Thomas is one legitimate option and he is unquestionably better than Bryz.
Thomas is not legitimate at this point. He will be 39 going on 40 and out of hockey for a year. He may be worth a risk if Bryz is bought out, but he 100% is not a legitimate option. Stopgap at best.

Quote:
Niklas Backstrom is the premium option out there.
This is probably true, but his injury history is concerning and he will probably be a high cap hit.

Quote:
Nabokov and Khabibulin are both older goalies who would likely get 1 year deals for ~2.5M or less and both are in situations right now where their teams are even worse defensively than the Flyers, yet both consistently post better #s than Bryz.
This also may be true, and I would be interested in Nabby a lot more than Khabiblin.

Quote:
Mike Smith, the Coyotes goalie who has posted better #s there than Bryz did, is a free agent.
No worries that he is suffering from the same inflated numbers that everyone says Bryz had in Phoenix?

Quote:
Ray Emery is playing quite well for the Blackhawks and will be a free agent.
Been there, done that. He is one injury away from being out of hockey.

Looking at that list I see Backstrom, Nabby, and to a lesser extent Mike Smith as possibilities.

Nabby is 100% a stopgap. He may suffice for a year, but he is another one who will be 38. So at best you are looking at two years of an aging goalie, at which point we will be looking for another replacement.

Backstrom will likely be looking for a good chunk of change and his injuries scare me. If he would sign here I think I would be ok buying out Bryz, but again you are taking a risk by buying out Bryz then missing out on Backstrom. As we saw last offseason, the real world is different than NHL13...not everyone will sign with you because you make them an offer.

Mike Smith's NHL numbers are not all that staggering. He's putting up good numbers in Phoenix, but so did Bryz. I am not entirely convinced that he is the goalie we are looking for either.

Emery is playing well, but again he is one misstep away from being out of the game all together, which is why he wasn't re-signed in the first place. I'm not so sure the Flyers would consider him after they already let him walk.

Essentially what we have is a number of goalies who would leave us looking for another goalie in a couple years, or signing a new guy to a potentially high cap hit contract. Six of one, half dozen of the other: Keep Bryz and you have an up and down goalie for the next 7 years or so who may or may not play well enough to get us a Cup or sign a bunch of up and down stopgap goalies and hope one turns into a guy that can play well enough to get us a Cup.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  #956
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He absolutely does not HAVE to be bought out. His contract is bad. Too long and too much money. But that alone is not reason to buy someone out. That could put you in a similar situation for the same amount of time. You buy him out, then you have a bunch of stopgaps for the next seven years, none of which are very good, but have better contracts. Great. That fixes nothing. You have a chance to get a franchise goalie somehwere in there, but there is also a chance that Bryz gets hot and stays hot.



Not really. (see below)



Thomas is not legitimate at this point. He will be 39 going on 40 and out of hockey for a year. He may be worth a risk if Bryz is bought out, but he 100% is not a legitimate option. Stopgap at best.



This is probably true, but his injury history is concerning and he will probably be a high cap hit.



This also may be true, and I would be interested in Nabby a lot more than Khabiblin.



No worries that he is suffering from the same inflated numbers that everyone says Bryz had in Phoenix?



Been there, done that. He is one injury away from being out of hockey.

Looking at that list I see Backstrom, Nabby, and to a lesser extent Mike Smith as possibilities.

Nabby is 100% a stopgap. He may suffice for a year, but he is another one who will be 38. So at best you are looking at two years of an aging goalie, at which point we will be looking for another replacement.

Backstrom will likely be looking for a good chunk of change and his injuries scare me. If he would sign here I think I would be ok buying out Bryz, but again you are taking a risk by buying out Bryz then missing out on Backstrom. As we saw last offseason, the real world is different than NHL13...not everyone will sign with you because you make them an offer.

Mike Smith's NHL numbers are not all that staggering. He's putting up good numbers in Phoenix, but so did Bryz. I am not entirely convinced that he is the goalie we are looking for either.

Emery is playing well, but again he is one misstep away from being out of the game all together, which is why he wasn't re-signed in the first place. I'm not so sure the Flyers would consider him after they already let him walk.

Essentially what we have is a number of goalies who would leave us looking for another goalie in a couple years, or signing a new guy to a potentially high cap hit contract. Six of one, half dozen of the other: Keep Bryz and you have an up and down goalie for the next 7 years or so who may or may not play well enough to get us a Cup or sign a bunch of up and down stopgap goalies and hope one turns into a guy that can play well enough to get us a Cup.
If my two choices are a cheaper stopgap for 1-2 years or Bryzgalov for 7 years w/ that horrible contract, I take the stop-gap without even thinking twice about it. It's a no brainer decision. You cannot lock yourself into 7 year contracts unless a guy is elite to begin with, because his play is going to slip @ some point due to age.

Bryzgalov is not elite. He's far from it and that contract is terrible.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
  #957
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
If my two choices are a cheaper stopgap for 1-2 years or Bryzgalov for 7 years w/ that horrible contract, I take the stop-gap without even thinking twice about it. It's a no brainer decision. You cannot lock yourself into 7 year contracts unless a guy is elite to begin with, because his play is going to slip @ some point due to age.

Bryzgalov is not elite. He's far from it and that contract is terrible.
No doubt that the contract is bad. But you'd rather have 1-2 years of a stopgap...but then what? 1-2 more years? Then what? 1-2 more? The Flyers played the stopgap for ohh...twenty or so years. Maybe in 1-2 years we have a franchise goalie in Stolarz. Or maybe not. Then we sign an aging (insert goalie here) for two years. Then another. Now we are in the same spot seven years down the road. No goalie. No Cup. But the contracts were better!!!! Unless there is a legitimate option to replace Bryz, it is not a wise move to buy him out.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
  #958
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,707
vCash: 500
Bryz is the stop gap. He won't be bought out this summer, but he could be bought out next summer.

If he has a strong year next year, he will be the solution. If he is inconsistent like he was last year, he'll be bought out.

He is clearly overworked and getting tired this season; the important acquisition for Bryz is a competent back-up.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  #959
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 20,454
vCash: 500
Lulz, Bryz's new mask.


__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
  #960
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No doubt that the contract is bad. But you'd rather have 1-2 years of a stopgap...but then what? 1-2 more years? Then what? 1-2 more? The Flyers played the stopgap for ohh...twenty or so years. Maybe in 1-2 years we have a franchise goalie in Stolarz. Or maybe not. Then we sign an aging (insert goalie here) for two years. Then another. Now we are in the same spot seven years down the road. No goalie. No Cup. But the contracts were better!!!! Unless there is a legitimate option to replace Bryz, it is not a wise move to buy him out.
Agree agree agree AGREE X10000. We've had the freakin stopgap since I first started watching hockey! Bryz has shown this season he can be dependable, but for God's sake if it isn't the starter it's the backup! Why did they make no effort to get a guy like Dan Ellis, he's filled in admirably for the Canes while Ward has faltered.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
  #961
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
What I was trying to get at is: Why does Ilya Bryzgalov deserve to be taking up 5.67M in salary cap for the next 8 years.
then you should have ASKED that, so i could ignore & not respond.


thats GM / fantasy hockey talk. i DON'T CARE about the salary cap. NONE, repeat NONE of my comments about his performance [good or bad] have EVER been skewed by "how much money he makes / his cap hit / contract length"

he's the Flyers MVP & has kept them in nearly every game he has started, has had no media circus exploits, and stolen a few games along the way, too, while being over all solid [my criticism of him the last 2 games included]

play GM all you want. i'm discussing his performance on the ice.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
  #962
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I just want to know something. Do you think its ever Bryzgalov's fault when he lets in a goal unless the Flyers are set up perfectly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
awful goal vs TOR

probably the 2nd all year IMO
not sure how you can ask that question.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
  #963
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Yes, meltdown. He played great early on but the past few weeks have been bad. He refused to talk to the media twice in under 2 weeks although he did eventually come out to talk the second time. He has told the media he is tired and that the sched is concerning. Is this all on him? Nope, it's on our idiot GM for ignoring the backup position yet again. Lavi has to overwork Bryz because he has no choice.
thats a 'meltdown' ?? umm, ok, have your opinion & i'll have mine

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
  #964
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
not sure how you can ask that question.
If the Flyers skaters arent positioned perfectly and the other team scores is the goal on Bryzgalov? Thats what I was trying to say.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
  #965
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If the Flyers skaters arent positioned perfectly and the other team scores is the goal on Bryzgalov? Thats what I was trying to say.
do you consider a goal given up by Carey Price to Giroux, when the Canadiens aren't in perfect position "on Price" ? just like that ??

or do you say "great snipe by G" ?

or maybe you: look at the goal, the goalies reaction to it, was he screened, should he reasonably be expected to save it, if you asked him after the game do you think he would have said: "i gotta get that one"

^^ that's what i do ^^

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
  #966
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
do you consider a goal given up by Carey Price to Giroux, when the Canadiens aren't in perfect position "on Price" ? just like that ??

or do you say "great snipe by G" ?

or maybe you: look at the goal, the goalies reaction to it, was he screened, should he reasonably be expected to save it, if you asked him after the game do you think he would have said: "i gotta get that one"

^^ that's what i do ^^
so you agree that Bryz should of had Kessels goal last night.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
  #967
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
then you should have ASKED that, so i could ignore & not respond.


thats GM / fantasy hockey talk. i DON'T CARE about the salary cap. NONE, repeat NONE of my comments about his performance [good or bad] have EVER been skewed by "how much money he makes / his cap hit / contract length"

he's the Flyers MVP & has kept them in nearly every game he has started, has had no media circus exploits, and stolen a few games along the way, too, while being over all solid [my criticism of him the last 2 games included]

play GM all you want. i'm discussing his performance on the ice.
His one ice performance has been inconsistent to say the least. Sure he's had his hot streaks, every goalie does. Hell, you might notice the record holder for longest consecutive shutout streak in the modern era is currently warming our bench. But he's also been prone to giving up back breaking soft goals and going through stretches of terrible play.

Is he the worst goalie in the NHL? No obviously not. But from a purely on ice perspective he's certainly not elite either. If you don't want to even think about the salary cap or GM stuff that's fine but the reality is that cap management is a pretty huge part of today's NHL and it's irresponsible to allot such a significant cap number to a player that could barely be considered above average.

dawkins121 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
  #968
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Lulz, Bryz's new mask.


He is officially the Master of the Universe

MrHockey1982 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
  #969
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Canucks fan coming in peace...
Is Bryz to blame for his poor stats this season so far? Or is Philly's defence more to blame for the lack of support they are giving him? Just curious why Bryz is struggling a bit so far, and if he is to blame for the bad numbers.

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
  #970
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Canucks fan coming in peace...
Is Bryz to blame for his poor stats this season so far? Or is Philly's defence more to blame for the lack of support they are giving him? Just curious why Bryz is struggling a bit so far, and if he is to blame for the bad numbers.
Recently he's been giving up a few bad goals, but in general, the team has play extremely inconsistently in front of him defensively.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
  #971
Devastate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
His new mask is amazing

Devastate is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
  #972
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Recently he's been giving up a few bad goals, but in general, the team has play extremely inconsistently in front of him defensively.
If we deal Luongo to your team, you guys would have the funniest goaltender tandem in the league
Although they would be insanely overpaid, they would make up for it with their good sense of humor

Co Ho* is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
  #973
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Canucks fan coming in peace...
Is Bryz to blame for his poor stats this season so far? Or is Philly's defence more to blame for the lack of support they are giving him? Just curious why Bryz is struggling a bit so far, and if he is to blame for the bad numbers.
At first he was the only Flyer playing well and was keeping us in games. Lately, our offense has woken up but he has started to struggle

thelos is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
  #974
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
If we deal Luongo to your team, you guys would have the funniest goaltender tandem in the league
Although they would be insanely overpaid, they would make up for it with their good sense of humor
Your team would have to pay for almost all of his salary while he's here.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
  #975
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Your team would have to pay for almost all of his salary while he's here.
Haha I wasn't being serious.
But just to play devil's advocate, what happens if Bryz finishes the season with stats that are around sub-.900 save % and over 3 GAA? Do you give him another chance next season or try to buy him out?

Co Ho* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.