HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The NHL, Google Glass and the Future of Televised Hockey

Old
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
SerenityRick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
The NHL, Google Glass and the Future of Televised Hockey

**I posted this on the Bruins board but thought it would be worth gathering opinions on the main board was well **

With the recent unveiling of the Google Glass and the general popularity of go-pro cameras I feel like it's inevitable that soon we'll have the option or at the very least, replay availability of first person views on the ice in the NHL.

There are a few examples of hockey being played with go-pros on Youtube. The best one I could find was actually a roller hockey game from last month:

(I recommend watching in full screen and in 720p resolution if you can. Also watch the whole thing.. actually some really nice shots/plays/goals/etc)

(The reason why I like this one the best is because the camera wearer is halfway decent and isn't staring at the puck constantly when he gets it. When his head his up, it's a lot cooler and interesting when you can see what his options are)

Now.. obviously go-pros can't and wouldn't be used in the NHL because they are actually quite large and cumbersome. In all the videos on Youtube, you can clearly see via shadows that it's just connected/taped to the top of their helmets

Here's the google glass:

(Here's their website with more information about it and videos showing what it does)

Not a whole lot is known about the tech that it uses or how long it can record videos for but obviously it's a step in the direction of light weight eye-cameras that I could easily see integrated with visors or just worn by the players under their helmets.

I refer you back to the go-pro roller hockey pick up game video.. I mean.. can you imagine that view from an NHL player in say the Bell Centre? *faints*

While I don't know if I could watch an entire game from the perspective of say Tyler Seguin or Tuukka Rask.. the option to or the ability to see replays from their POV would be flat out amazing.

Thoughts? Too much of a gimmick? Fox glowpuck 2.0?

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

We'll likely never see this. Players don't want everything they see and say to be streamed live while they play.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
We'll likely never see this. Players don't want everything they see and say to be streamed live while they play.
The next generation will.

They already tweet everything that they think.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
haveandare

Quote:
I don't think OP is talking about streaming live. It'd be a mess trying to watch a game that way. I think he's talking about replays and highlights. Say Datsyuk dekes a goalie out of his jock and wires a shot top corner. That'd be awesome to watch from his perspective. You'd see the goalie react and see how Dats moves in far better detail than you could with an overhead view.

I think it could be pretty cool. I think google glass is pretty gimmicky overall but the idea of the tiny camera tech being used in a sport like hockey could be very interesting.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
I wish for this so much. No more commentators. I want to hear the action on the ice.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
The next generation will.

They already tweet everything that they think.
that and plenty of players already have no problem being mic'ed up

NBC will likely implement this and more and more hockey players will be cool with it provided it truly doesn't hinder their on ice play. Should be very cool to see

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Yet they tweet their every thought.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Luckily the cattle do as the rancher says

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I find it okay if the odd player has a camera on for certain games but to watch a whole game like that would be tedious I think as you'd miss bits of the game.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't think OP is talking about streaming live. It'd be a mess trying to watch a game that way. I think he's talking about replays and highlights. Say Datsyuk dekes a goalie out of his jock and wires a shot top corner. That'd be awesome to watch from his perspective. You'd see the goalie react and see how Dats moves in far better detail than you could with an overhead view.

I think it could be pretty cool. I think google glass is pretty gimmicky overall but the idea of the tiny camera tech being used in a sport like hockey could be very interesting.
I wouldn't mind if in the future it was streamed live should the technology get to that point but yes, I was talking about for use in instant replay.

Just imagine one day, we're all watching a game 7 OT of the Stanley Cup finals where the home team scores to win the Cup and being able to see and hear the moment the goal scorer puts it in the net from his perspective. Just imagining the possibility of that sends chills up my spine.

Hell.. even something as simple as seeing the view from the Captain raising the Cup for the first time would be incredibly cool

Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I find it okay if the odd player has a camera on for certain games but to watch a whole game like that would be tedious I think as you'd miss bits of the game.
Not what I was talking about but even if that were to be a possibility, it would be an option obviously. Probably a premium subscription thing too most likely.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Bmessy

Something like that, a camera on rails above the glass, or something similar to the floating camera they have in the NFL would be awesome

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
puckluck19
Registered User?

give it to the watchers of the game, the refs. They're trained to keep an eye on the whole playing surface, might get some incredible replays/views just by 'observing' what they see

Imagine having the ref's eye view as he dashes to the back of the net to check for a goal on a huge goal-mouth scramble

puckluck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
shizno

Quote:
We'll likely never see this. ..
famous last words...this next leap in technology is going to change EVERYTHING (not google glasses themselves, but its a step towards a huge paradigm shift in society.) People think privacy is already dead but they have no idea whats coming. Its going to be awesome and horrible at the same time.

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
famous last words...this next leap in technology is going to change EVERYTHING (not google glasses themselves, but its a step towards a huge paradigm shift in society.) People think privacy is already dead but they have no idea whats coming. Its going to be awesome and horrible at the same time.
1984 is happening.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I wouldn't mind if in the future it was streamed live should the technology get to that point but yes, I was talking about for use in instant replay.

Just imagine one day, we're all watching a game 7 OT of the Stanley Cup finals where the home team scores to win the Cup and being able to see and hear the moment the goal scorer puts it in the net from his perspective. Just imagining the possibility of that sends chills up my spine.

Hell.. even something as simple as seeing the view from the Captain raising the Cup for the first time would be incredibly cool
Not sure I'd want to watch the game streaming that way, I love the overhead view. The way I watch really depends on being able to see most of the players at once.

Having said that, I totally agree with the bolded. I think it'd also provide a lot of insight for people who haven't played the game before. You can see how little things work on the ice and really get an idea of what it might feel like to play. It might help build enthusiasm for the sport too in that way - imagine being a little kid watching hockey and seeing Sid look around the ice and make a perfect pass that gets banged in from Sid's POV. If that doesn't get kids wanting to play, I'm not sure what will. Hell, I want to play right now just picturing what that might look like.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
meenamjah

Would work quite well for goalies as well. I'd love to see a goalie's POV, and it'd be less nausea inducing as well.

meenamjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
duxfever

Send a message via AIM to duxfever
Dude with the blade brake is a beast.

duxfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I think we would see this in an All-star game first. NHL players have potty mouths when playing. They would have a hard time censoring them.

On a side note, is there no offside in roller hockey?

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yet they tweet their every thought.
Some of them even tweet without thinking

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I think we would see this in an All-star game first. NHL players have potty mouths when playing. They would have a hard time censoring them.

On a side note, is there no offside in roller hockey?
Can't pass to someone over the red line, but as long as someone skates it over you're fine.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck19 View Post
give it to the watchers of the game, the refs. They're trained to keep an eye on the whole playing surface, might get some incredible replays/views just by 'observing' what they see

Imagine having the ref's eye view as he dashes to the back of the net to check for a goal on a huge goal-mouth scramble

The refs at our college games were wearing GoPro's. I really think it would be beneficial for them, and as much as I would like to see a goalie pov, i think it would impair players. Unless google partners with Bauer to implement "glass" into the visor...

Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
What an outstanding coaching tool potential...

In the video you can see the 'reads' setting up and happening... you can see where the player needs to go, or should go based on what he can see...

I picture a coach critiquing a player based on regular camera views... but teaching the player through his own camera view so he can see exactly what he saw/shoulda saw and what he should of been paying more attention to... what decision he shoulda made, etc. etc..

Huge potential there... let alone from a media perspective.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmessy View Post
Something like that, a camera on rails above the glass, or something similar to the floating camera they have in the NFL would be awesome
Yep, and the ref-googles would be great to.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

I think it would be more useful for the refs to review stuff.

HF007 is online now   Reply With Quote