HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Stortini is a terrible fighter.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
DOnt you guys have like Zach stortini or something?? Or do you not? Is he not a heavyweight? Or am i dumb
Farm club but no contract with the Habs i think. Stortini ain't exactly a fearsome enforcer anyway. He has balls for sure but he's more of a punching bag for other heavies than anything. Not that winning a fight is the most important thing in hockey but if the Habs want a pure enforcer who will play 5 mins a night they should just go for a guy who will at least kick some *****. Stortini is not that man.

And on the enforcer topic , someone said it best earlier in this thread. It's a tool to have in your toolbox. Doesn't matter if you don't use it often but at least if you have it at your disposition if you have to. I wouldn't care if he plays 10 games a year, 5mins a night and most of the year in the AHL or in the pressbox. It's still a weapon you have in your arsenal.

Last edited by Bronn: 02-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
Prust is way more valuable than Moen and White. What I'd be looking for is someone who can play 10+ minutes, contribute and willing to protect his teamates. I don't really care if he wins most of the fights or not as long as he doesn't get his ass whooped. Moen may be able to somewhat contribute but doesn't seem eager to do the dirty work. White is willing but limited in terms of talent. Is Clifford more of a Moen type or Prust type?
Clifford suck at fighting since is ko lost to Reaves and doesn't seem interested to fight much now. And Clifford is more a White type in term of talent. He don't have the defensive skill like Prust or Moen

Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
No, Moen and White are not equal to Prust. As for McGratton, the guy can't play hockey so would be useless in MT's system which rely on contribution from all four lines.
MT have dressed a enforcer in all the team he coached. Just have to touble shift one fowards. As for Mcgrattan, the guy played on the 2 unite pp in syracuse two years ago and got 10pts in 20 games. Not to bad for one of the best heavyweight fighter. Plus, he's good in the locker room

Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
MT have dressed a enforcer in all the team he coached. Just have to touble shift one fowards. As for Mcgrattan, the guy played on the 2 unite pp in syracuse two years ago and got 10pts in 20 games. Not to bad for one of the best heavyweight fighter. Plus, he's good in the locker room
Doesn't McGrattan has off ice issues though ? I remember reading that somewhere but i'm not sure

Old
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

I think it's a safe assumption at this point that IF MB wanted just any enforcer, we'd have picked one up by now. Not to say he won't get one, but it would have to be a player that interests him in more than just fighting since we have had ample opportunity to get a fighter.

So unless a multi-tool enforcer somehow finds his way onto waivers (ala Neil) than no use getting excited for each and every enforcer who finds themselves up for grabs.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Doesn't McGrattan has off ice issues though ? I remember reading that somewhere but i'm not sure
coke problem when he was with Phoenix if I remember. But its behind him now. Is one of the most appreciate in Nashville

Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Farm club but no contract with the Habs i think. Stortini ain't exactly a fearsome enforcer anyway. He has balls for sure but he's more of a punching bag for other heavies than anything. Not that winning a fight is the most important thing in hockey but if the Habs want a pure enforcer who will play 5 mins a night they should just go for a guy who will at least kick some *****. Stortini is not that man.

And on the enforcer topic , someone said it best earlier in this thread. It's a tool to have in your toolbox. Doesn't matter if you don't use it often but at least if you have it at your disposition if you have to. I wouldn't care if he plays 10 games a year, 5mins a night and most of the year in the AHL or in the pressbox. It's still a weapon you have in your arsenal.
Except you have a limit of 23 tool limit in your toolbox so if you use up one on an enforcer then you have to get rid of another. For us that means Kaberle, Weber, or White. I think we already are at 24 if you include Nokelainen.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Except you have a limit of 23 tool limit in your toolbox so if you use up one on an enforcer then you have to get rid of another. For us that means Kaberle, Weber, or White. I think we already are at 24 if you include Nokelainen.
Correct. Personally i would have no problem getting rid of Kaberle or Weber for an enforcer. Preferably Kaberle as it would also help with the cap as well. They're both offensive defensemen and quite redundant on this team. May as well replace one of them with an enforcer and diversify the toolbox a bit. That leave the Habs with a spare defensemen + an enforcer. And then in the playoffs it become a non issue since there is no roster limit.

As for Noke , not sure what's their plan for him. Perhaps he's going to get waived but i don't think there is a spot for him in the lineup this year unless they only want to reactivate him from the injury reserve come playoff time and have him as an emergency option in case of injury

Old
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Correct. Personally i would have no problem getting rid of Kaberle or Weber for an enforcer. Preferably Kaberle as it would also help with the cap as well. They're both offensive defensemen and quite redundant on this team. May as well replace one of them with an enforcer and diversify the toolbox a bit. That leave the Habs with a spare defensemen + an enforcer. And then in the playoffs it become a non issue since there is no roster limit.

As for Noke , not sure what's their plan for him. Perhaps he's going to get waived but i don't think there is a spot for him in the lineup this year unless they only want to reactivate him from the injury reserve come playoff time and have him as an emergency option in case of injury
Although I would like to get rid of Kaberle for cap reasons, he's still more useful to this team then an enforcer would be. 1 spare D-man is not much depth if injuries occur.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Although I would like to get rid of Kaberle for cap reasons, he's still more useful to this team then an enforcer would be. 1 spare D-man is not much depth if injuries occur.
We also have AHL dmans that can take a regular NHL shift

Old
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
I think it's a safe assumption at this point that IF MB wanted just any enforcer, we'd have picked one up by now. Not to say he won't get one, but it would have to be a player that interests him in more than just fighting since we have had ample opportunity to get a fighter.

So unless a multi-tool enforcer somehow finds his way onto waivers (ala Neil) than no use getting excited for each and every enforcer who finds themselves up for grabs.
I agree. Doesn't look like a high priority.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
We also have AHL dmans that can take a regular NHL shift
Only St-Denis can take a regular shift and sending him up/down exposes him to waivers so we might lose him if another team also has injuries.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's a horrible trade. Florida has Smithson on waivers a month ago so he has little to no value. White the way he is playing now is worth 5x more. Parros brings nothing taht we don't already have, if MB wanted him we would have signed him in the summer. If we want a goon real bad, McGrattan is on waivers.

A deal like that would be horrible asset management, White and weber could bring us back 5x the trade value of those two.
Coming from the guy who claims that Moen and White are like Prust.

I'll agree to disagree and will leave it at that.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I hope people realize that there's a reason that other teams are putting all these enforcers on waivers. It's certainly not because they're "oh so valuable"

Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
MM425

Guys who can fight and play hockey (IE Prust) >>>>>>>> A waste of space "heavyweight" (IE McGratton).

Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Only St-Denis can take a regular shift and sending him up/down exposes him to waivers so we might lose him if another team also has injuries.
We could try Tinordi.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We could try Tinordi.
I would prefer to promote him because he is ready not by need like LeBlanc last year, it actually hurt his development. Had to go back down to AHL after 40+ NHL games.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Moen has been invisible for the most part, I'd take a little more size/fighting and a little less hockey IQ from his contract/roster spot easily. Same with White.

Prust is miscast as a "protector". He's best as a secondary fighter whose also good at hockey.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
We could try Tinordi.
We could but since he's still adapting to the jump from OHL to AHL I'm not confident that he could play a regular shift in the NHL without hurting the team right now.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
We could but since he's still adapting to the jump from OHL to AHL I'm not confident that he could play a regular shift in the NHL without hurting the team right now.
I'm more concerned with the fact he'd be miscast as a heavy and could be exposed like Komisarek was.

Tinordis play is ahead of his fighting.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I hope people realize that there's a reason that other teams are putting all these enforcers on waivers. It's certainly not because they're "oh so valuable"
Volpatti is on waivers now, after McGrattan has cleared.

Not a coincidence that those type of players hit waivers constantly.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
We could try Tinordi.
No rush... our D is solid so far. And Tinordi can play a bigger role and more minutes in the minors for now. Once the Bulldogs' season is over, April 21 I think, the Habs will have just 3 games left. Dunno what the injury situation or playoff races might be like, but that could be a good time to audition Tinordi. And then if there is a playoffs, keep him around for the ride. That should help give us an idea if he's going to be ready to step up next season or not. I'd be leaning towards "not"... until he proves decisively otherwise, either with his late season black aces showings, or with a summer of hard work and a great training camp. But I'd be building my roster and default plans without expecting that. Bonus if he forces my hand. But it would be expecting too much to really plan on that.

He's not really going to be a terrifying fighter or anything anyway. Just a component of size, which we need. But not really intimidation.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

What happens if an opposing player decides he wants to beat on Emelin? I know Emelin can't fight because of the plates in his face but is every player in the league expected to know and respect this?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would prefer to promote him because he is ready not by need like LeBlanc last year, it actually hurt his development. Had to go back down to AHL after 40+ NHL games.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No rush... our D is solid so far. And Tinordi can play a bigger role and more minutes in the minors for now. Once the Bulldogs' season is over, April 21 I think, the Habs will have just 3 games left. Dunno what the injury situation or playoff races might be like, but that could be a good time to audition Tinordi. And then if there is a playoffs, keep him around for the ride. That should help give us an idea if he's going to be ready to step up next season or not. I'd be leaning towards "not"... until he proves decisively otherwise, either with his late season black aces showings, or with a summer of hard work and a great training camp. But I'd be building my roster and default plans without expecting that. Bonus if he forces my hand. But it would be expecting too much to really plan on that.

He's not really going to be a terrifying fighter or anything anyway. Just a component of size, which we need. But not really intimidation.
You guy's read this wrong. I mean if you send one of the scratched D and injuries happen. Not for him being the Heavyweight, lol

Closed Thread