HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Really seems like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too with the schedule. If you want to build the rivalries within the division, then something has to give. Cut down to 1 game against the other conference, alternate home and away each year. So what, you don't get Crosby or Stamkos every year in your building each year. It is not like 1985 when the only way to see Gretzky was when he was playing your local team. With Center-Ice and NBC and NBCS, it is very easy to see all the teams.

So, based on that I guess the east will play 28 games against the west. 24 games against the other division and 30 games within the division? so 4 or 5 times against each team? That would be terrible.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenager View Post
Elliote Friedman just explained the scheduling matrix for the two Western divisions on TSN 1290 (Western teams only addressed because it's a Winnipeg station). Basically, he says that those teams will play twice against out-of-conference foes, and three times against in-conference, but out-of-division foes. I've done some math to extrapolate things, and the total matrix looks like this:

Two games against out-of-conference teams - 32 total games
Three games against in-conference, but out of division teams - 21 total games
Five games against 5/6 in-division teams, four games against remaining team - 29 total games
Back to negative news... Those numbers for games against are pretty damn ridiculous. A team is competing with other teams directly for Standings positions but they don't have an equal number of Home-and-away games.

And that all for putting the priority on a balanced equal number of games against out-of-Conference opponents that you don't compete with directly in the Standings. Screwed up priorities. The competition factor isn't what's important here, that's clear.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
azaloum90

are they going to go with a 2-3-2 format to further reduce playoff travel? I'm not a fan of that, but it's what the NBA has been doing, and if the players and owners want to continue to whine about travel, this would accomplish that

Old
02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Jetsfan79

Love the schedule matrix. Im relieved to hear the Jets will not play 70/82 games against american teams. With 3 in conference games we will see the 3 other canadian teams 3 times each which is more pallatable.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 02-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I prefer the two conferences, four division type format. Makes a lot more sense and as long as the play-offs aren't kept in the divisions then I'm fine with it.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
Wait, so since there will be two conferences with two divisions instead of four conferences with no divisions, does it mean that a SCF match-up will have to be East vs West? If this proposal couldn't get worse..

02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
MNNumbers

I still don't understand why a 2 conference system with 16/14 works. You have different odds of making playoffs. 8/14 or 8/16

Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
Love the schedule matrix. Im relieved to hear the Jets will not play 70/82 games against american teams. With 3 in conference games we will see the eastern teams 3 times each which is more pallatable. But I'd must admit that after all this talk about WPG moving to the western conference, I find ironic that we would be re-aligned to the new "eastern conference". Too funny
Huh? WPG would be in the West.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I prefer the two conferences, four division type format. Makes a lot more sense and as long as the play-offs aren't kept in the divisions then I'm fine with it.
If they don't put the primary focus on Divisional matchups, where possible, then it'd be better to have an equal number of games against all in-Conference opponents.

With 2 games against every team in the League, they should go with an equal number of games against all in-Conference opponents to begin with any way. And then in the Playoffs put the first two Rounds matchup focus on teams in the Division.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
patnyrnyg

If this is what they are going to do with the schedule, I would rather just stick with what we have now with some minor tweaking. So dumb. Basically, they will have 3 home games against ONE team in the division in the east. ******* stupid.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
This realignment pretty much feels like two teams in the West moved to the East and the first two rounds of the playoffs will be in-division and the next round will be in-conference. I can't say I like this at all..

The West is making out like bandits.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Wait, so since there will be two conferences with two divisions instead of four conferences with no divisions, does it mean that a SCF match-up will have to be East vs West? If this proposal couldn't get worse..
What's wrong with an East vs West? Better to have cross country matchups in the Final than in the 3rd Round. Oh yea, you were hoping for a Final between New York and Boston, weren't you.

You know, if people really want the potential of an All-east Final, then the NHL should have some semblance of an MLB/NFL alignment (though with geographical Divisions). What some of you want, to use the expression that someone else just used to describe this proposal the League's coming up with... is that you want your cake and eat it too. You don't want the East to have to play significant games, Regular Season or Playoffs, against the West, so creating that separation; but you still want the potential of an all-eastern Final. Greedy buggers.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Jetsfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Huh? WPG would be in the West.
Yes I misread the tweets. My bad and have edited my post. West makes more sense so that great to know

Old
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
KingsFan7824

How much influence did the PA have on past realignments? What they want is a huge factor this time.

Plus you have owners who have very specific things that they will and will not do.

You add those two things together, and it's going to be interesting what the final look of this is once we learn what it is in full.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I still don't understand why a 2 conference system with 16/14 works. You have different odds of making playoffs. 8/14 or 8/16
Bad idea IMO. Don't fix an imbalance by creating an even bigger one.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
The 2 conference/4 division plan is a good compromise IMO. Keeping the 2 wildcards, per conference makes sense so there is no three time zone travel in until the finals.

Don't mind the 14 in one conference and 16 in the other. MLB did it for many years (until this coming season) and no-one from the AL every cried foul. Bring it on!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
patnyrnyg

The four divisions within 2 conferences or 4 separate conferences with re-seeding at round 3 is not important to me, either way. Just get the Rangers to the 3rd round and I don't care who they play at that point, same for the Cup round.

If you are going to go with divisional play-offs and try to build the division rivalries, why are you cutting the games against the teams in your division? It is so dumb. Can't wait for Calgary, Edmonton, and Phoenix to come to MSG next year. Anyone want my tickets for those games?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Wildcard concept is awful

If a team finishes 4th and lets say 10 pts ahead of WC team they have to face in playin game then it is awful idea

Old
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
How much influence did the PA have on past realignments? What they want is a huge factor this time.

Plus you have owners who have very specific things that they will and will not do.

You add those two things together, and it's going to be interesting what the final look of this is once we learn what it is in full.
One of Lebrun's articles says they were talking for 3 weeks. He didnt say if they worked on it together or if they talked, the league came up with the idea and now the players are looking it over.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Wildcard concept is awful

If a team finishes 4th and lets say 10 pts ahead of WC team they have to face in playin game then it is awful idea
Not a play-in game. If the 5th place team from the Atlantic has a better record than the 4th place team in the central, the atlantic team gets that spot. Yes, I agree. It is awful.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not a play-in game. If the 5th place team from the Atlantic has a better record than the 4th place team in the central, the atlantic team gets that spot.
Ok ,, That makes more sense

Still wont help build rivarlies if only 3 teams from a division make it

Should be simple cut and dray

playoffs = 4 best of each division for first 2 rounds

Build rivalries

Old
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Crayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma Publius View Post
Shall I dig up the figures for decreased travel on the part of Dallas, too? And you're not factoring in the fact that the reduction of travel from everyone in the Pacific conference is much greater than the increase from the other Central teams. Additionally, Dallas sees reduced travel with the departure of DET & CLB. So yeah, the other teams see an increase in travel, but the overall reduction of travel (from the Pacific teams; from Dallas) compensates for it.
Yes, Colorado is closer to Dallas, but Columbus and/or Detroit are closer to the other 5 CTZ teams. The Pacific division is a wash (assuming 8 teams yields two 4-team half divisions for scheduling purposes). Anaheim, for example, either plays Colorado 3 more times or plays Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton an additional time each. Vancouver either plays Colorado 4 more times or plays San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, and Phoenix 1 more time. It's a wash for those teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma Publius View Post
Hey look! You're the #1 seed! As a reward, you get a cross-continent playoff series where not only must you factor in the cost and drain of travel, but start times are guaranteed to reduce your regional TV viewership!

Congrats!
Or you could have #3 Vancouver vs. #4 New Jersey as your cross-country series. And with some of these other proposals it'll be Vancouver vs. Nashville. Unless the Pacific division has 4 and only 4 playoff participants, you will have a 1/3 chance of one of these multi-timezone series cropping up.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Isn't the SCF match-up East v West now? It'll be no change. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
you want your cake and eat it too. You don't want the East to have to play significant games, Regular Season or Playoffs, against the West, so creating that separation; but you still want the potential of an all-eastern Final. Greedy buggers.
It's a trip seeing the converging interests of fans, players, and owners, and all the different interests within those 3 groups themselves.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayton View Post
Or you could have #3 Vancouver vs. #4 New Jersey as your cross-country series. And with some of these other proposals it'll be Vancouver vs. Nashville. Unless the Pacific division has 4 and only 4 playoff participants, you will have a 1/3 chance of one of these multi-timezone series cropping up.
A 1/4 chance, no Crayton??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
It's a trip seeing the converging interests of fans, players, and owners, and all the different interests within those 3 groups themselves.
Yes, my friend, I'm sure it is.

Closed Thread