HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Perry- An actual hockey trade

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
No, it wouldn't be, especially if Perry bolted three months later for free agency. I would question Shero for even considering sending that to Anaheim for a rental in Perry.

Do people not know what Pittsburgh is looking for? They are looking for a top six winger to play with Crosby and or Malkin. Well, bringing Perry in and trading Kunitz is counterproductive. Trade Kunitz and then you still need a top six winger. It's not hard to follow.

Despres isn't going anywhere and if he does, he ain't going for a rental. He would be moved for a long term solution, not a two or three month guy.
If by counterproductive, you mean MASSIVE UPGRADE, then yeah.

I suppose dealing Colby Armstrong (Crosby's RW at the time) for Marian Hossa was also counterproductive in 2008.

Give me a break. Send Anaheim Kunitz and either Dupuis or Despres. Heck, send them all three for Corey Perry.

This is Corey frickin' Perry!

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Could a Ducks fan clear up the Perry situation for me? Is ANA still trying to re-sign him or are they fairly certain that he's going to be gone after this season? And if the thinking is that he'll be gone anyway, why?
As I understand it, contract negotiations are going to start again this next week.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Pi

A Perry trade will never be a hockey trade...if he's traded, he's a rental.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Djp

If Anaheim appears to be a division winner near the deadline....the only trade I see them making would be

Perry for 2 players + pick (not 1st round)

Perry being a 1st line RW the return would be a 2nd line RW + added depth 3rd line player/2nd pair Dman + 3rd/4th round pick. The players aqquired would be under reasonable contract the next season at least.

Such a deal may lessen the first line scoring but add 3rd line scoring/2nd line defense. To win the cup you really need 3 quality lines who can score reliably.

Anaheim would probably have to add a pick and/or prospect into the deal.

The deal would strictly be with an Eastern conference club. that club would need to have a good shot at resigning him....

I dont see Buffalo doing this....but this is an example of what I am talking about

BUF: Perry +
ANA: Pommenville + Regehr +

Another option would be with the Rangers

NYR: Perry +
ANA: Gaborik +

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Alpha
Sergei Fedora!

bring this man to vancouver

Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The problem is, with Perry a UFA next year, teams aren't going to make "hockey trades" for Perry at the deadline.

The Ducks can always keep him, and there's a legitimate argument for that, or they can trade him at the deadline. But expecting to get roster players of any significance just because you want it doesn't sound like a realistic option.

The market for these types of players at the deadline is pretty well established:

- Young roster player
- Prospect (usually a former 1st round pick who's development is going the wrong way)
- 1st round pick
- maybe another lesser piece (low level prospect or later round pick)

That's what you should expect to see in return should the Ducks ultimately trade Perry or Getzlaf. Or they simply keep him.
As I said in my post there is an alternate option if it looks like they are in a cup run where they are focused on Keeping Getz first over Perry.

They trade Perry for another veteran who is still under contract next season (Pommenville or Gaborik) + getting added veteran player for elsewhere on the team.

The above proposal would be what is expected of a team who is out of the players and is in rebuilding mode...young NHL player/ top prospect + B level player(young 3rd line player, 4th-6th Dman) + 1st/2nd pick

Old
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Could a Ducks fan clear up the Perry situation for me? Is ANA still trying to re-sign him or are they fairly certain that he's going to be gone after this season? And if the thinking is that he'll be gone anyway, why?
We're supposed to be meeting with his people soon.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Zoombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINEC View Post
bring this man to vancouver
Presumably ANA will still be in the playoff picture by the deadline, so there is 0% chance they trade this guy to a Western team.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Djp

Perry under no circumstance will go to a Western Conference team....especially a team Anaheim could face in the playoffs in the western conference.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If by counterproductive, you mean MASSIVE UPGRADE, then yeah.

I suppose dealing Colby Armstrong (Crosby's RW at the time) for Marian Hossa was also counterproductive in 2008.

Give me a break. Send Anaheim Kunitz and either Dupuis or Despres. Heck, send them all three for Corey Perry.

This is Corey frickin' Perry!
You are totally missing the point dude. Right now, WITH KUNITZ, Pittsburgh is in need of a top six winger. Heck, some say two top six wingers. Trade Kunitz and DESPRES, a young 21 year old blueliner with a high ceiling for Perry and then you have to use more assets, whether it be Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot and a first to get the top six winger back. It's counterproductive and its bad asset management.

You have no clue really. Corey freakin Perry is a UFA after the season and can bolt.

UMMM as far as the Armstrong deal ... wasn't he playing THIRD LINE when he was dealt? Big difference champ.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
hockeyGod

To Boston for Krejci and 1st. Don't think you can do much better than that if you're the ducks.

hockeyGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Presumably ANA will still be in the playoff picture by the deadline, so there is 0% chance they trade this guy to a Western team.
I think if we move Perry we would also be looking to move him out of division, both now and in the future, which makes Vancouver an unlikely landing spot.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think that if the Ducks continue playing well, they'll hold on to him, even if there's a chance he walks for nothing.

Look at Nashville last season. Numerous teams inquired about Suter, but the Predators looked like one of the true contenders in the west, and were still hoping to re-sign Suter. Obviously they lost in the second round and Suter walked for nothing...but it doesn't really change what they "should" have done-- which is exactly what they did.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
If Perry isn't signed at that point then Murray may not have a choice. Losing Perry for nothing would hurt a lot.
this is why I am saying a deal for Perry wont be for futures but for now where it would be Perry + prospect or pick for another teams 1st/2nd line winger (under contract next yr) + veteran help either on 3rd line or Defnse + pick

Old
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
To Boston for Krejci and 1st. Don't think you can do much better than that if you're the ducks.
Probably not, but would Chia really do that?

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
You are totally missing the point dude. Right now, WITH KUNITZ, Pittsburgh is in need of a top six winger. Heck, some say two top six wingers. Trade Kunitz and DESPRES, a young 21 year old blueliner with a high ceiling for Perry and then you have to use more assets, whether it be Maatta, Harrington, Pouliot and a first to get the top six winger back. It's counterproductive and its bad asset management.

You have no clue really. Corey freakin Perry is a UFA after the season and can bolt.

UMMM as far as the Armstrong deal ... wasn't he playing THIRD LINE when he was dealt? Big difference champ.
this. trading a top-6 forward for any other top-6 forward from the Pens' perspective still leaves them needing one more top-6 forward, no matter how vast an upgrade their new top-6 guy is over their old one.

let's say you need two modes of transportation and you already have a motorcycle (so you really just need one more). even if you trade that bike in for an Evo somehow, you still need one more mode of transportation.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
CharlesHabsFan

Erik Cole + Nathan Beaulieu + Calgary's 2nd round pick from the Habs for Perry.

The 2nd being conditionnal to Perry resigning with the Habs.

Cole clearly wants to go back to the US for his daughter's future and it must have something to do with his lack of motivation lately. As for Beaulieu, he's a top defense prospect with puck moving abilities, but we do have a lot with the Habs right now (Subban, Diaz, Weber, Markov...) and he could behind more experienced players when he's NHL ready.

CharlesHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:

Ha. With Perry, we'd be set (and I would like to think we'd have a great shot at keeping him)...

Dupuis-Crosby-Perry
Bennett-Malkin-Neal

So if Armstrong was playing on the third line in '08, and Dupuis and Hossa were brought in to play with Crosby, who was Crosby playing with pre-trade?

Not sure you're accurate on this one, champ.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
this. trading a top-6 forward for any other top-6 forward from the Pens' perspective still leaves them needing one more top-6 forward, no matter how vast an upgrade their new top-6 guy is over their old one.

let's say you need two modes of transportation and you already have a motorcycle (so you really just need one more). even if you trade that bike in for an Evo somehow, you still need one more mode of transportation.
Except modes of transportation don't win you hockey games. Corey Perry does.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
MarchandMadness 63*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Probably not, but would Chia really do that?
If Chiarelli could get Perry to stay in Boston and sign a long term contract,I guarantee he would trade Krejci and a first for Corey Perry.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Ha. With Perry, we'd be set (and I would like to think we'd have a great shot at keeping him)...

Dupuis-Crosby-Perry
Bennett-Malkin-Neal

So if Armstrong was playing on the third line in '08, and Dupuis and Hossa were brought in to play with Crosby, who was Crosby playing with pre-trade?

Not sure you're accurate on this one, champ.
so you're suggesting that Perry is so good that that hole in their top-6 is automatically filled even when trading someone FROM their top-6 to get him? i don't think you understand what he was getting at.

right now, the Pens ideally need one legit top-6 winger. trading a top-6 winger for a different top-6 winger doesn't fill that hole, it just upgrades the filled spot they already had. there's still a hole.

in any case, if the main piece in a deal for Perry involved Kunitz, Despres, and some picks/prospects, i would do it if the Pens had a chance of keeping him long-term. that doesn't mean the Ducks would do it and that doesn't mean the Pens' front office would do it because it doesn't actually fill the hole in their top 6.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
If Chiarelli could get Perry to stay in Boston and sign a long term contract,I guarantee he would trade Krejci and a first for Corey Perry.
And that would punch Boston's ticket back to the Finals.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
so you're suggesting that Perry is so good that that hole in their top-6 is automatically filled even when trading someone FROM their top-6 to get him? i don't think you understand what he was getting at.

right now, the Pens ideally need one legit top-6 winger. trading a top-6 winger for a different top-6 winger doesn't fill that hole, it just upgrades the filled spot they already had. there's still a hole.
What hole? We need an upgrade. We have Bennett. Let the kid play. If the third line blows, third-line upgrades are always available, but we have Jeffrey to play there as well.

We just need to upgrade within the top six.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Exactly ... that guy doesn't get the picture. He just sees Perry as an upgrade to Kunitz, which he is, but doesn't see the entire picture at all.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
What hole? We need an upgrade. We have Bennett. Let the kid play. If the third line blows, third-line upgrades are always available, but we have Jeffrey to play there as well.

We just need to upgrade within the top six.
ok, so you're suggesting the hole is filled by Bennett.

for now, i disagree, but he's still very rough around the edges. if they get a top-6 winger who's proven, they could allow Bennett to develop even more instead of tossing him into top-6 roles before he's ready. (and i know the Pens have him in a third-line role right now, but that's not my point)