HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Is Yakupov really the best player [highest potential ceiling] out of the 2012 draft?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
The thread I posted was from June 12th. The draft was June 22nd. Please don't just make stuff up for absolutely no reason.

People debated if Yakupov should be the 1st overall pick. Injuries were a big factor in the 2012 draft, with both Galchenyuk and Rielly going in the top 5 despite having significant injuries in their draft years. Look at how much the top 5 for this upcoming draft has changed over the past 6 months, if Drouin/Jones had been injured all year, they wouldn`t currently be in contention for the #1 overall spot, so it definitely changes things.

Hockey analysts as well pointed out that it would be hard to justify taking somebody other than Yakupov as the #1 pick because he had a high skill level and less question marks, but that there were definitely a number of prospects who looked like they could easily become better players.

A lot of comparisons to Ovechkin vs Malkin were raised. Wingers are simply the least important position on a team and the least able to control a game, so unless a winger is distinctly more talented than the centres/defencemen/goalies available, then they're not going to be the best choice.

So pretending that people praising Galchenyuk over Yakupov right now is ONLY because of the last month or so, and not because of historical expectations, is simply incorrect.

Now it`s only ~1.5 months into the first season after their draft, so debating about who's the best is still very premature, and Yakupov could very well end up being the best player. But he isn't and hasn't ever been the unanimous choice for that.
Oilers already had 1st pick secured And I posted other threads showing how everyone was hoping to draft him up till Oilers won lottery than all of a sudden Yakupov was not such a great prospect after all .

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:27 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
the injuries to Galchenyuk and Rielly were a blessing in disguise for the Habs and Leafs orgs.

if they had played full seasons, i highly doubt Yakupov would have been the no.1 consensus and thus giving the Oil brass a harder choice to make.

in the end, everyone got a great player and should be happy with how things turned out.
Morgan Rielly is not better than Nail Yakupov.

Total Toronto bias. He's a good prospect but he's not the top player from the draft. Period.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
WarriorofTime

This is what happens when too many Canadian teams are picking in the top 10. Ridiculous prospect squabbling. "Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov AINEC!" "Rielly has a higher ceiling than Yak!" "Hey, don't forget about Trouba!"

Why not let it all play out instead of criticizing a rookie for not scoring at a 40 goal pace right away.

By the way, did you guys see Yakupov's goal against the Blackhawks? What a rocket of a shot.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post

Total Toronto bias He's a good prospect but he's not the top player from the draft. Period.
Post wasn't made by a Leafs fan. Speaking of bias, he also mentioned Galchenyuk but I don't see you having a problem with that

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:

Total Toronto bias. He's a good prospect but he's not the top player from the draft. Period.
i'm not a Leafs fan - hate to break that for you.

also, i don't reckon saying Rielly was better than Yakupov. re-read what i typed. it's pretty straight forward.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

Quote:
This is what happens when too many Canadian teams are picking in the top 10. Ridiculous prospect squabbling. "Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov AINEC!" "Rielly has a higher ceiling than Yak!" "Hey, don't forget about Trouba!"

Why not let it all play out instead of criticizing a rookie for not scoring at a 40 goal pace right away.

By the way, did you guys see Yakupov's goal against the Blackhawks? What a rocket of a shot.
Yeah why don't you take your own advice and let things play out before making such absolute predictions?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

To answer the OP.. Yes he is the best player in the 2012 draft right now, and the only person I can see challenging him is Galchenyuk or Grigorenko.

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Post wasn't made by a Leafs fan. Speaking of bias, he also mentioned Galchenyuk but I don't see you having a problem with that
I love it that people think because they state they're opinions that it's actual fact as if they know 3-4 years down the road exactly how each player turns out.

Weather Yuk, Galchenyuk, Rielly, etc, no one at hf will determine who's going to be better when all is said and done.

We'll see in a few years, way too early for this kind of thread imo. Saying that, I like Galchenyuk better only because imo he posses a better all around tool box, weather size, play making, being centre and etc. I felt that way since pre draft as well, so it's not based on current production whatsoever.

Last edited by Sonny21: 02-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Yeah why don't you take your own advice and let things play out before making such absolute predictions?
It's not a prediction. Right now Yakupov is better than Rielly and that can't be debated unless you're crazy.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
It's not a prediction. Right now Yakupov is better than Rielly and that can't be debated unless you're crazy.
We are discussing highest potential ceiling, no **** Yukupov is better now. What does that have to do with 100% Yukupov being better when both fully develop in few years?

Being better now has noting to do with who has higher potential ceiling. Am I saying omg Rielly will be better, heck no cause who really knows. Doubtful but he does have the potential very high ceiling imo.

There's a difference in saying no I don't think player x has or will reach that potential and saying zomg no way his that good, that just makes you look ignorant imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
We are discussing highest potential ceiling, no **** Yukupov is better now. What does that have to do with 100% Yukupov being better when both fully develop in few years?

Being better now has noting to do with who has higher potential ceiling. Am I saying omg Rielly will be better, heck no cause who really knows. Doubtful but he does have the potential very high ceiling imo.

There's a difference in saying no I don't think player x has or will reach that potential and saying zomg no way his that good, that just makes you look ignorant imo.
No you're being ignorant by playing these little games. Yakupov's ceiling is definitely the highest from that draft. He was a consensus #1 on just about every list for a reason. His shot and skating are elite and have already shown that they translate over to the professional game. That doesn't mean he'll necessarily reach his potential.. sure Rielly could be better I guess. Maybe Judd Peterson will be better too. Nobody really knows. But stating that anybody other than Yakupov (only guy I would say has an argument is Galchenyuk.. any further down and you're reaching) is the best player right now or has a higher ceiling is just blatant-Yakupov trolling or is grossly misinformed.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:

Quote:
So lemme get this straight, it's too early to criticize Yakupov, but for Rielly it's not?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:

Quote:
No you're being ignorant by playing these little games. Yakupov's ceiling is definitely the highest from that draft. He was a consensus #1 on just about every list for a reason. His shot and skating are elite and have already shown that they translate over to the professional game. That doesn't mean he'll necessarily reach his potential.. sure Rielly could be better I guess. Maybe Judd Peterson will be better too. Nobody really knows. But stating that anybody other than Yakupov (only guy I would say has an argument is Galchenyuk.. any further down and you're reaching) is the best player right now or has a higher ceiling is just blatant-Yakupov trolling or is grossly misinformed.
kudos on contradicting yourself.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Yakupov definately has the highest ceiling. I'd say that Galchenyuk and Grigs have similar ceilings, but they are further away from reaching them...but I would say that Yakupov is most likely to reach his ceiling. I don't have an issue with Yak at #1, but I think there's a few players who could potentially equal, or better him.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
No you're being ignorant by playing these little games. Yakupov's ceiling is definitely the highest from that draft. He was a consensus #1 on just about every list for a reason. His shot and skating are elite and have already shown that they translate over to the professional game. That doesn't mean he'll necessarily reach his potential.. sure Rielly could be better I guess.
Oh, I guess all #1 picks were the best players from their draft then?

Please go review the drafts from the following years:
2006, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, etc etc

The way I see it, is that Yakupov was considered the most likely to hit his ceiling, and that's why he was drafted 1st overall, but not because he definitely has the highest ceiling. Franchise players get drafted almost every year outside of the top pick, so clearly they can have very high ceilings as well.

Personally I see Galchenyuks ceiling (elite highly skilled two-way centre that doesn't shy away from contact) as well as a few other players from the draft as being equal to or higher than Yakupovs (elite skilled winger with some question marks on size/defensive play), but I also think Yakupov is a lot more likely to hit that ceiling compared to guys like Reinhart, Trouba, Rielly, etc.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
kudos on contradicting yourself.
Not a contradiction at all. Yakupov was the best player before the draft and nobody has done anything to prove anything differently since the draft (again, maybe a case could be made for Galchenyuk). If Rielly plays out to be better than Yakupov I'll acknowledge it. Saying he has a higher ceiling than Yak right now though? Anti-Yakupov trolling.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Yes his ceiling is the highest, I never said Yuk isn't nor will he end up being best player did I? If you don't think Rielly has that high of ceiling then fine, but to say omg nobody other then Yuk and maybe Gally could be better is well...sad. Cause Trouba for all we know could end up being best player who really knows because draft's overall aren't as black and white as you may think they are.

No that was you who replied saying lol no way Rielly is that good, even though that poster was saying it in general context. That poster also never said either Gally/Rielly have higher ceiling then Yuk either.

As I already posted, I am not interested in arguing with hf people omg my prospect is better then yours cause it's irreverent what we say or think.

The whole thing started with you not reading what that poster actually said (which wasn't who is better now nor who will end better even).

Old
02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Not a contradiction at all. Yakupov was the best player before the draft and nobody has done anything to prove anything differently since the draft (again, maybe a case could be made for Galchenyuk). If Rielly plays out to be better than Yakupov I'll acknowledge it. Saying he has a higher ceiling than Yak right now though? Anti-Yakupov trolling.
no. you completely contradicted yourself. you went from saying, 'let's wait it out - can't expect an 18 year old to just come out guns blazing and score 40' to 'he's the best right now. no one compares to him.'

by doing that, you're simply proving to those who are saying, 'i prefer Galchenyuk now and in the future' that they are right. you're no different than those you're calling out.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I love the *****
Weird.

I do have to laugh at Galchenyuk love. Habs fans ready to anoint him the next 100 point guy in the NHL.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Can you please provide a quote where anybody in this thread said that Rielly has a higher ceiling than Yakupov?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
whooers

Short answer: Yes he is, easily

whooers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Weird.

I do have to laugh at Galchenyuk love. Habs fans ready to anoint him the next 100 point guy in the NHL.
I don't think it's that weird. Galchenyuk was the almost-consensus #1 target for Leafs fans prior to last draft. If we had him, we'd be saying the same stuff.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
But guys like Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin are good but they simply are not in the same class as guys like Tavares, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin ect... these guys are at least 2 or 3 levels above.
Remember Stamkos' start?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 50
Meh, in 10 years people will be asking that about Jankowski.

Yak's pretty good too though.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRamsay View Post
Weird.

I don't see what's so funny about it. He's looking like he'll be a Toews level of center imho...you know we'd love him just as much if he was ours.