HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Hall Suspension - 2 games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 09:26 AM
  #351
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
On the topic of Taylor Hall, is there a reason why there was a poll between him and Tavares in the main polls board, and JT was winning by like 95%???

I don't get it. Even though he's played fewer games due to injury, Hall has SLAYED JT's PPG, Corsi, and chances for v. against since coming into the league. Well, that is, if you compare JT's first year vs. Hall's. Second vs. second, etc.

I don't "get" why it's such a given that JT's better, when Hall has performed better and on a weaker team in each of those seasons too. Boggles my mind, and it's not just Oiler haters. It's Oilers fans too. WTF??
Probably because PPG means little unless you have proved you can do it for 80 games like Tavares has done.

Tavares has also done well at WC's and has been the only piece in Long Island.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #352
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
On the topic of Taylor Hall, is there a reason why there was a poll between him and Tavares in the main polls board, and JT was winning by like 95%???

I don't get it. Even though he's played fewer games due to injury, Hall has SLAYED JT's PPG, Corsi, and chances for v. against since coming into the league. Well, that is, if you compare JT's first year vs. Hall's. Second vs. second, etc.

I don't "get" why it's such a given that JT's better, when Hall has performed better and on a weaker team in each of those seasons too. Boggles my mind, and it's not just Oiler haters. It's Oilers fans too. WTF??
Because at this point John Tavares is a superior player. Stats and history back it up.

Sethis is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  #353
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Mmhmm.

JT has skills and brains.
Hall has speed and a nose for the net.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
  #354
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Because at this point John Tavares is a superior player. Stats and history back it up.
yeah JT is likely one of the top-10 forwards in the entire league right now, and he plays center.... hall is my favorite oilers player, but i would trade him straight up for JT in a second, and 95% of oilers fans would as well

jadeddog is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
  #355
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
JT is much much worse than Hall...

But I'm not objective in this matter, I can't stand JT (for some strange reason) and I refuse to accept that any of his success is due to anything else than luck...

LaGu is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
  #356
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
People have to remember as well that pts are very elevated in Eastern Conference. Around 15/20 of top scorers are EC. Not because they are better players, and on the contrary because they are playing against worse teams and with defensive play not being the rule.

You'll find the highest scoring and highest GA teams in the east. Its like a different league. A guy like Hall would feast a whole lot more playing in the East.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
  #357
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
Tavares is a pretty special player. If you ever want to see how hockey IQ translates, Tavares is the player to watch. He is also one of the NHL's most dangerous snipers in close.

The poll was silly for a variety of reasons, Tavares is a "better" player than Hall, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. Both players impact the game in very different ways. In some aspects Hall can do things Tavares can't and vise versa.

The fact that Tavares is in the East is also a MAJOR influence simply for the fact that a lot more people see Tavares on a more regular basis than they do Hall.

Toydarian is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
  #358
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,124
vCash: 500
3 out of 4 points sans Hall isn't too shabby. We need to get on a roll though.

MessierII is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
  #359
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 662
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
People have to remember as well that pts are very elevated in Eastern Conference. Around 15/20 of top scorers are EC. Not because they are better players, and on the contrary because they are playing against worse teams and with defensive play not being the rule.

You'll find the highest scoring and highest GA teams in the east. Its like a different league. A guy like Hall would feast a whole lot more playing in the East.
The Oilers in general are a team built to play in the east. Unfortunately this year we will have to find a way to grind it out in the superior league. The boys will be better for it in the long run though.

oiLowe is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
  #360
Hitchslap
Registered User
 
Hitchslap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 50
Tavares is a way better player than Hall. I find it pretty hard to imagine you've watched him play much if you say otherwise.

Hitchslap is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
  #361
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
It's easy to say Tavares > Hall if you're looking at them present and not comparing their performances in the league year by year. Also, one plays in the Eastern conference on a consistently better team, and has had no injury troubles (something that is just as much luck as playing style).

Tavares is certainly better now, but im far from accepting that as a permanent conclusion.


Last edited by Neatman: 02-26-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Neatman is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
  #362
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
JT is much much worse than Hall...

But I'm not objective in this matter, I can't stand JT (for some strange reason) and I refuse to accept that any of his success is due to anything else than luck...
*scratches head*

Psycho Dad is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  #363
Psychoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
buddy JT is way better than Hall at this point. JT can actually finish and is a smart player. Hall, in fairness, is playing with some bad hockey players right now lol, but he's got alot of heart.


I can see hall overtaking JT in points though at some point in their careers

Psychoil is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  #364
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,262
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
People have to remember as well that pts are very elevated in Eastern Conference. Around 15/20 of top scorers are EC. Not because they are better players, and on the contrary because they are playing against worse teams and with defensive play not being the rule.

You'll find the highest scoring and highest GA teams in the east. Its like a different league. A guy like Hall would feast a whole lot more playing in the East.
Yup. Been saying this for awhile. The East doesn't sport teams like the Kings, Coyotes, and Wild who are more defense orientated.

Instead they have the Jets, Panthers, and Islanders who leak goals.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:44 PM
  #365
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yup. Been saying this for awhile. The East doesn't sport teams like the Kings, Coyotes, and Wild who are more defense orientated.

Instead they have the Jets, Panthers, and Islanders who leak goals.
And a handfull of others as well TB PHIL so forth.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
  #366
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
On the topic of Taylor Hall, is there a reason why there was a poll between him and Tavares in the main polls board, and JT was winning by like 95%???

I don't get it. Even though he's played fewer games due to injury, Hall has SLAYED JT's PPG, Corsi, and chances for v. against since coming into the league. Well, that is, if you compare JT's first year vs. Hall's. Second vs. second, etc.

I don't "get" why it's such a given that JT's better, when Hall has performed better and on a weaker team in each of those seasons too. Boggles my mind, and it's not just Oiler haters. It's Oilers fans too. WTF??
Didn't Hall and JT put up near identical PPG rates in their first two years? How did Hall "slay" JT in PPG?

When I watch both of them play JT just seems like the better player... Better hands, better shot, better vision, better pass, higher IQ. Hall is a better skater and zone entry player that's about it. The poll results are like that because it's true, JT is a better player. That's no slight to Hall though who is a sublime player himself.

SephF is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 06:54 PM
  #367
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Didn't Hall and JT put up near identical PPG rates in their first two years? How did Hall "slay" JT in PPG?

When I watch both of them play JT just seems like the better player... Better hands, better shot, better vision, better pass, higher IQ. Hall is a better skater and zone entry player that's about it. The poll results are like that because it's true, JT is a better player. That's no slight to Hall though who is a sublime player himself.
You'd think with all those advantages, JT would have outscored Hall by a significant margin. Especially considering the conference he's playing in.

Like I said before, I think JT is better atm quite clearly, but it's silly people think he's already far beyond what Hall will become.

Neatman is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
  #368
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,145
vCash: 500
I'd trade Tavares for Hall in a nanosecond.

Philly85 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
  #369
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,262
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'd trade Tavares for Hall in a nanosecond.
Would he thrive in the West?

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
  #370
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
JT is a great player. Hall is a very good player. If JT would injure Clutterbuck he would be elite.

nabob is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
  #371
SephF
See you next time
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
You'd think with all those advantages, JT would have outscored Hall by a significant margin. Especially considering the conference he's playing in.

Like I said before, I think JT is better atm quite clearly, but it's silly people think he's already far beyond what Hall will become.
They're in the toughest division in the entire NHL and they're the punching bag.

Rangers, Fylers, Penguins, Devils.

meanwhile ours has :

Flames, Wild, Canucks, Avalanche.

Our seems a lot easier.

Also Hall has had better linemates and softer minutes.


Still love Hallsy though, just explaining why he's getting slaughtered on a poll.

SephF is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 08:39 PM
  #372
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,643
vCash: 500
I would trade hall for JT in a second

But I would also trade him for Kane... Evander

awesomo is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
  #373
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Eastern Conference or not John Tavares is A LOT better than our four wunderkids. He's a very special talent.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 09:10 PM
  #374
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
First season

Hall .65 PPG
Tavares .66 PPG

Second season

Hall .87 PPG
Tavares .81 PPG

Third season

Hall 1 PPG
Tavares .98 PPG

Senor Catface is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 PM
  #375
HallOfGreatness4
Registered User
 
HallOfGreatness4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
I sure wish Taylor Hall would score some goals.

HallOfGreatness4 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.