HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers and the Impending Realignment

Old
02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

vCash: 500
Panthers and the Impending Realignment

Not a lot of people have been talking about it here but I think its an interesting topic for discussion and Bobby Mac talked about the NHL proposal to the PA today.

The Panthers are one of the few teams which realignment will have a big impact.

As per the proposal the new system would include 2 divisions of each conference.

The Panthers would be in the same division as Tampa, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, and Detroit.

We would play 5-6 games a year against these team and a home and away against every other team outside the division in the nhl.

The Playoffs would include the top 3 teams in the division and 2 wildcard teams from the conference (not the division).

My Take: There are pluses and minuses to this scheme in terms of where the panthers fit. For one its great for business as much as we hate them invading our arena, these fans help our bottom line detroit fits into that category as well. I also think being in that division allows the panthers to be publicized a lot more and should take more of a center stage in terms of national broadcasts which could be great since we are turning a corner in the coming years.

However, that division is easily the toughest in hockey. I think given the new rules it would be more difficult for budget teams like our own to consistently make the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

great thread, PH1. Havent had tie to look at it but i see the news flying around.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

I hear this will impact Florida and Tampa the most in travel time. Very good point on it being thee toughest conference too. Buffalo and Florida are the only teams not in the playoff hunt right now from that conference.

I'm a little confused on the wildcard system too. Time will tell if it's a better format. They were talking about Phoenix possibly becoming Seattle or getting another team on the Western side as there's 16 teams for the Eastern and 14 for the Western.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
JPG

Well you can either look at from a glass half empty or glass half full perspective. My positive(sort of) outlook on it is:
- Extended roadtrips thru the north will cut down travel time and also allow for extended home game strecthes. I think the players would probably like that, as well as their families. Better than home for two days gone for two days/rinse and repeat.
- All the teams in that division are good draws in our arena (even if they are opposing fans).
- Even if our team is bad, if you are a fan of hockey at all you can't be upset at being able to watch good teams play in the arena consistently.
-If the team is not good, it will REALLY show in this division. Which is great because you won't get those mediocre 9th place finishes where you miss the playoffs AND get a crappy draft pick. Devil Rays in baseball have been in the same type of division and now their team is really good because they drafted high for so long.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
Well you can either look at from a glass half empty or glass half full perspective. My positive(sort of) outlook on it is:
- Extended roadtrips thru the north will cut down travel time and also allow for extended home game strecthes. I think the players would probably like that, as well as their families. Better than home for two days gone for two days/rinse and repeat.
- All the teams in that division are good draws in our arena (even if they are opposing fans).
- Even if our team is bad, if you are a fan of hockey at all you can't be upset at being able to watch good teams play in the arena consistently.
-If the team is not good, it will REALLY show in this division. Which is great because you won't get those mediocre 9th place finishes where you miss the playoffs AND get a crappy draft pick. Devil Rays in baseball have been in the same type of division and now their team is really good because they drafted high for so long.
youre last point is a really good one and one i havent considered. It behooves the team to be in a strong division even if theyre not good in a way.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
p9ers

I like this. Mainly because I'll be able to see way more Panthers game not on crappy internet stream.

Team strenght comes and go, so I don't worry too much about that.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
I know I'm in the minority, but coming from a non-traditional market where we've seen our share of lean attendance games, I'd rather go to a game with more people, even if they are opposing fans, then to a game with empty seats.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
The division might be tough, but Id much rather it be this division, instead of the other one, with Pitt, Philly, and the Rags.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I was honestly hoping for us to be in a division with Carolina, Tampa, Nashville, and Dallas. These teams are all in close enough proximity, despite the hour time difference, to be in a logical division.

I don't like the travel that we will face every season. We're in for a ton of loooooong road trips.

With that said, I do agree with the general consensus here in that it will bring more fans to the building more consistently. I just hope you guys down there will have your screaming voices on cause I don't want to be drowned out every home game!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
You guys are just in a bad situation, travel wise, no matter how they set up the divisions. There's really not much difference at the pro level between travelling to Detroit or travelling to Dallas.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
The division might be tough, but Id much rather it be this division, instead of the other one, with Pitt, Philly, and the Rags.
I agree!

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Acadmus

I don't understand divisions that exclude the teams that are closest.

Florida's current division includes the best option, except perhaps that Washington should be traded for Nashville. But of course since Atlanta's gone to Winnipeg, Nashville could just be inserted to replace them. St. Louis has enough other teams close to it that they can afford to travel a little more.

They won't split up Montreal and Toronto again, though - too much revenue from the rivalry there...and Ottawa is the also-ran in that field in case anyone has hostility against the national government

02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I don't understand divisions that exclude the teams that are closest.

Florida's current division includes the best option, except perhaps that Washington should be traded for Nashville. But of course since Atlanta's gone to Winnipeg, Nashville could just be inserted to replace them. St. Louis has enough other teams close to it that they can afford to travel a little more.

They won't split up Montreal and Toronto again, though - too much revenue from the rivalry there...and Ottawa is the also-ran in that field in case anyone has hostility against the national government
I dont get why they have to make it so complicated. They should have just moved Winnipeg to the West, and either Columbus or Nashville to the East, problem solved. Now they are going to have one conference with 14 teams, the other with 16 teams. You keep hearing that there always was an agreement in place with Detroit moving to the East if realignment was ever proposed, but this way is just dumb.

As far as the proximity you were talking about, we are going to draw much better against the teams in the proposed division, rather than our current division, with Nashville replacing the Jets. But overall, this realignment proposal is a joke. They keep messing and messing with the game, and they can never just let it be. One team should have been swapped from each conference, and the problem would have been solved. The biggest change is in the playoff format. Look at this:

The playoff format as detailed in the league memo Tuesday calls for the top three teams in each division to earn postseason berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild cards, the top two records in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

The schedule matrix would see each team play teams in the other conference both home and away.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont get why they have to make it so complicated. They should have just moved Winnipeg to the West, and either Columbus or Nashville to the East, problem solved. Now they are going to have one conference with 14 teams, the other with 16 teams. You keep hearing that there always was an agreement in place with Detroit moving to the East if realignment was ever proposed, but this way is just dumb.
[/I]
Exactly. I hate this. The solution is so simple. Either just swap Winnipeg and Nashville, or any of the other easy swaps that have been proposed. Now they're going to destroy what makes sense, ruin the classic 1-8 playoff match ups, and have unbalanced conferences. I really hope this doesn't pass.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:34 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Exactly. I hate this. The solution is so simple. Either just swap Winnipeg and Nashville, or any of the other easy swaps that have been proposed. Now they're going to destroy what makes sense, ruin the classic 1-8 playoff match ups, and have unbalanced conferences. I really hope this doesn't pass.
Because we lobbied to be in the north east conference so we could sell them tickets.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Not a lot of people have been talking about it here but I think its an interesting topic for discussion and Bobby Mac talked about the NHL proposal to the PA today.

The Panthers are one of the few teams which realignment will have a big impact.

As per the proposal the new system would include 2 divisions of each conference.

The Panthers would be in the same division as Tampa, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Boston, and Detroit.

We would play 5-6 games a year against these team and a home and away against every other team outside the division in the nhl.

The Playoffs would include the top 3 teams in the division and 2 wildcard teams from the conference (not the division).

My Take: There are pluses and minuses to this scheme in terms of where the panthers fit. For one its great for business as much as we hate them invading our arena, these fans help our bottom line detroit fits into that category as well. I also think being in that division allows the panthers to be publicized a lot more and should take more of a center stage in terms of national broadcasts which could be great since we are turning a corner in the coming years.

However, that division is easily the toughest in hockey. I think given the new rules it would be more difficult for budget teams like our own to consistently make the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?
I don't think it's the toughest division in hockey. Detroit isn't a powerhouse anymore, in two years we will be about the same as they are, a playoff team trying to take that next step, to contender. I think Tampa has a bright future, but no more than ours. Montreal isn't going to be one of the top teams in the league every year. They are riding high right now, similar to the way we were early last season. But this won't last. Toronto is alright, but they don't scare me. Buffalo's pretty much in the same boat, except they suck this season. Boston and Ottawa are great teams and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, they are the only two teams that I think of as what we would have to get through in most years to make it to the Final.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
jakethesnake23

At least we wont be made fun of for being in the SouthLeast

And i figure they want to align the teams in time zones, moreso than pure closesness

As has been mentioned, teams cycle in and out of strength, so you cant declare overall that one division is the best

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

We're gonna have to beef up if this passes. Don't like our travel, but will make for some fun games

02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

They said on Hotstove last week that getting Detroit and Toronto together again was a big thing for the league. What I don't understand is that they just dismissed their rivalries with Chicago and St. Louis. They also said that no matter how the realignment happens, not everyone will be happy. Which makes sense. The Panthers and Lightning were always going to get screwed because of our distance from all the other teams in the East.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

I like it. It means for me that I will get to watch more than one game every other year in Detroit.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

As a Patrick division veteran, I'd rather be in a division with the Rangers, Flyers, Devils and Islanders....

But I like this division much better than a geographic one with Nashville, St Louis, Carolina +/- Dallas.

A division like that could mean the death knell for the franchise. Noone will come watch a bad Panthers team play those teams in the middle of the week.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Sure, it sucks for us and the Bolts as far as travel time. I can't really think of any other option though if terms of geography since the next closest team to Tampa is Carolina.

Someone proposed this alignment on Twitter to me today and this is the next best option that I could think of:

15 teams in each conference. 8 in one division and 7 in the other.

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Chicago
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Buffalo
Montreal
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Ottawa

Boston
Carolina
Florida
Nashville
New Jersey
Tampa Bay
Washington

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Sure, it sucks for us and the Bolts as far as travel time. I can't really think of any other option though if terms of geography since the next closest team to Tampa is Carolina.

Someone proposed this alignment on Twitter to me today and this is the next best option that I could think of:

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Chicago
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Buffalo
Montreal
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Ottawa

Boston
Carolina
Florida
Nashville
New Jersey
Tampa Bay
Washington
No offense, but...

That's terrible. Panthers would never agree to that.

No box office draw in the division besides Boston.

People need to stop being so hung up on distances. There isn't much difference between a 1.5 hour flight and a 3 hour flight (in terms of player fatigue) as long as you aren't crossing time zones.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Chicago
Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Buffalo
Montreal
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Ottawa

Boston
Carolina
Florida
Nashville
New Jersey
Tampa Bay
Washington
The Northeast and Atlantic division rivalries will never be split up.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The Northeast and Atlantic division rivalries will never be split up.
That was my exact comment to the person whom proposed it. The league needs the Bruins to be in a division with the Habs just like the Devils need to be with the Rangers and Flyers. Distance-wise, it seemed better, but I logically couldn't see it happening.

I think what the league has proposed is the only possibility that most teams would like as a decision. We'll get the ***** end of the stick compared to the rest of the division as far as travel, but I think it won't play nearly as big of a factor as most are saying.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote