Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2012-13 English Premier League Round 27

Old
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The problem with Bale staying at Spurs is the wage structure they'd have to blow up to keep him. Wages are a bigger problem in football than anything else.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The problem with Bale staying at Spurs is the wage structure they'd have to blow up to keep him. Wages are a bigger problem in football than anything else.
He'll leave, thats for sure. When? I doubt at the end of this season. I suppose he will want to play in the Champions League atleast once with Tottenham, especially considering that he basically single-handedly got them qualified. Then I expect him to leave, mostlikely to Madrid.

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
He'll leave, thats for sure. When? I doubt at the end of this season. I suppose he will want to play in the Champions League atleast once with Tottenham, especially considering that he basically single-handedly got them qualified. Then I expect him to leave, mostlikely to Madrid.
Didn't stop RVP, did it!!?? BTW in case you've forgotten Bale has already played in the CL for Spurs, remember when they got eliminated in the QFs by RM?!

Johnnywhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Not the problem at all , but the unbolded part is 100% correct. Why FIFA, UEFA & the FA don't address a salary cap, transfer cap & any other things that might approach these fantasy FFP regulations they hypocritically play with, you be the judge? A starting point would be to make the CL revert to a real competition that isn't skewed to favour Barca, RM, BM, ManU & the 'sugar daddy' horrors with the ridiculous seeding & 'group' stage play! Fixing is certainly not merely an organised crime phenomenon.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
Didn't stop RVP, did it!!?? BTW in case you've forgotten Bale has already played in the CL for Spurs, remember when they got eliminated in the QFs by RM?!
I actually don't remember that. I do however remember Bale ripping Maicon apart for some weird reason

As for the RvP comment, I'll take it with a grain of salt. 13 Straight years in the UCL Knockout Stage. Qualified for multiple years when Robin was sitting on the injury table ()

LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 PM
lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
2nd. Book it.
Love the optimism, but come on. Spurs will finish 4th, and you're going to be a lot more nervous after they choke against Arsenal next weekend, which unfortunately, they probably will.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywhite View Post
Not the problem at all , but the unbolded part is 100% correct. Why FIFA, UEFA & the FA don't address a salary cap, transfer cap & any other things that might approach these fantasy FFP regulations they hypocritically play with, you be the judge? A starting point would be to make the CL revert to a real competition that isn't skewed to favour Barca, RM, BM, ManU & the 'sugar daddy' horrors with the ridiculous seeding & 'group' stage play! Fixing is certainly not merely an organised crime phenomenon.
Yeah, everybody wants equality, but everybody also wants to see Barca/RM/BM/MANu/Juve/Milan play each other.

The CL + EL qualifications + group stages are still great for small clubs. Reaching the group of either is massive.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Ever since he got suspended for diving, he has been on fire

Focus on your game, not on getting free kicks

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Yeah, everybody wants equality, but everybody also wants to see Barca/RM/BM/MANu/Juve/Milan play each other.
"Everybody" wants to see those clubs play each other? Make that everybody minus one, if you please. I don't assume that the most famous clubs playing each other makes for a good game. Nor should anyone with a better memory than a goldfish.

I remember watching the Barca-Real Madrid Champions League semi in 2011 and being bored to within an inch of my life by the onslaught of niggardliness, spite, kicking and diving. I'd be quite happy never to witness a repeat performance of that travesty.

By contrast, Leverkusen's run to the 2002 final was very exciting, as were many games featuring Deportivo La Coruna circa 2000-2004.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Minus two please.
Straight up knockout stage with champions only was sooooo much more fun and exciting.
Every team could crash in september, and for the whole year.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:21 AM
villevalo

If Bale moves it will most likely be inside the EPL. Most Brits are uncomfortable to leave the UK and test themselves in a foreign environment, notwithstanding the record of Brits playing outside the EPL is pretty terrible. If Spurs get a big money offer from within the EPL they'll take it.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I would argue that the players are the ones who fuel this kind of thinking. If Modric, Van Persie, Fabregas etc weren't enticed by the thought of playing on the world's biggest stages and winning the biggest trophies, they wouldn't have left their clubs to do so. When they were growing up, did they dream of winning the Champion's League for Hajduk or Southhampton? 4th is about as high as Spurs will get in the near future, and is that good enough for the 3rd best player in the world?
Vested interests and the shortsighted fuel this type of thinking.

For example, Steven Gerrard flirted with Chelsea, but chose to stay at Anfield. Michael Owen moved to Real Madrid. Result, Gerrard wins the European Cup, Owen fades. Gerrard stuck with a club that built their team around him, Owen made a move that turned him into a spare part. Sometimes the supposed short cut to glory is a dead end. The big clubs have chewed up and spat out a hell of a lot of players down the years.

A few years ago, many were sceptical that Spurs would break the top four at all, but it happened. They didn't spend gazillions, they just played consistently well enough to break the crucial 70 point barrier. The Manchester giants and Chelsea are richer than Tottenham, but that leaves 96 points up for grabs from 32 games. To have a shot at 2nd, 80 points should be the target (granted, 71 points brought runner-up in 2010/11, but it was over 80 last season). There isn't much leeway, yet it can be done. The key is to avoid dropping too many points to mid and lower table clubs.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Minus two please.
Straight up knockout stage with champions only was sooooo much more fun and exciting.
Every team could crash in september, and for the whole year.
Gentlemen, we are a trio.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
If Bale moves it will most likely be inside the EPL. Most Brits are uncomfortable to leave the UK and test themselves in a foreign environment, notwithstanding the record of Brits playing outside the EPL is pretty terrible. If Spurs get a big money offer from within the EPL they'll take it.
Bale and his agent have stated on numerous occasions that he would like to play in the Serie A some day. However, the lure of La Liga football for one of the giants in Real Madrid or Barca certainly has its pull, but a phone call from his former teammate, Modric, could certainly change his mind. I find it difficult to believe that Bale would play for another team in the EPL outside of the Spuds.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I think Bale will stay at Tottenham for the forseeable future, don't see him leaving until he's 27/28 at the earliest.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Bale and his agent have stated on numerous occasions that he would like to play in the Serie A some day. However, the lure of La Liga football for one of the giants in Real Madrid or Barca certainly has its pull, but a phone call from his former teammate, Modric, could certainly change his mind. I find it difficult to believe that Bale would play for another team in the EPL outside of the Spuds.
Bale to United, then swap with Real for Ronaldo?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i dont think Bale and Ronaldo could play on the same team.

Of course it would look good on paper but both like to have the ball

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Bale to United, then swap with Real for Ronaldo?
That'd be so upsetting, Manure were already gifted the title when we gave them van Judas for "footballing" reasons. Getting Ronaldo would just be the icing on the cake and bring them to the level of the top, top clubs like Barca, Bayern and Real.

If Real wanted Bale, they'd just bid an exorbitant amount of cash for him . Why swap for an inferior talent?

Old
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
i dont think Bale and Ronaldo could play on the same team.

Of course it would look good on paper but both like to have the ball
I, too, question if that tandem on the wings would work. In theory, it'd give Real the best wingers in the world, without question. But, as you pointed out, both like to have the ball on their feet and are not natural distributors. However, perhaps it would free up space for Ronaldo to be more of a predatory winger who lurks around the box to knock in easy goals (more so than now). Also, Bale's delivery on crosses is spectacular, but he'd replacing an already good crosser of the ball in Di Maria.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Modric is miserable and has been garbage all year.

02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Modric is miserable and has been garbage all year.
Yes that was my point...thank you for reiterating it I guess.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Yes that was my point...thank you for reiterating it I guess.
I read that too fast.

*puts down Mtn Dew

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
I read that too fast.

*puts down Mtn Dew
no worries, I figured as much. Either that or you were giving me unnecessary flak for being a Gooner. Big match-up this weekend and I am not looking forward to facing an in-form Gareth Bale. I gather a draw will not be enough for us and anything but a loss will be welcomed by your side. The result of this game could have a monumental effect on the rest of the season for both and potentially even solidify the CL spots.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
no worries, I figured as much. Either that or you were giving me unnecessary flak for being a Gooner. Big match-up this weekend and I am not looking forward to facing an in-form Gareth Bale. I gather a draw will not be enough for us and anything but a loss will be welcomed by your side. The result of this game could have a monumental effect on the rest of the season for both and potentially even solidify the CL spots.
A draw is better for us than you, but still a real sister kisser of a result! Clattenburg reffing it, now there's another wild card!

Old
02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
If Bale moves, the one place it won't be is within the EPL, whatever Daniel's failings, stupidity doesn't rank among them.