HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nhl realignment includes four divisions, wild card teams

Old
02-26-2013, 02:20 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

vCash: 500
Nhl realignment includes four divisions, wild card teams

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/la-r%C3...forme-1.589684

Red wings in our division !

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
16 teams in the East and only 14 in the West ?

Does it mean that IF there is an expansion or relocation, two new teams will be out west (Seattle, KC ???) ? No Quebec City with 16 teams in the East.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post

Does it mean that IF there is an expansion or relocation, two new teams will be out west (Seattle, KC ???) ? No Quebec City with 16 teams in the East.
No. My guess is they would relocate the wings and/or the jackets in the west.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
The dumbest system I've seen so far.
What I'd do is cancel all Conferences and Divisions. I'd make a league where each team would face all other teams once at home and once away which makes it 29*2=58 game only. Then the 3rd game between both teams will be drawn (its location). At the end we'll have 87 games per team per season. TOP 16 teams make the playoffs when 1vs16, 2vs15 etc..

Sens players beat up 5'8" Habs players, they are praised. Subban beats up a small Sens player, he's a coward, he's spot picking, he's this, he's that, he's too NBA, he's too NFL, cocky, classless, etc, etc, etc.... You guys are too much.
dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

At first glance i like the Habs division from excitement standpoint.
At second glance it looks like it just got harder for the Habs to make the playoffs by comparison to west teams.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:50 PM
la25ecoupe

****, more playoff within division.. man boring.. we would never see Habs Detroit for stanley cup finals.. nor Habs vs Boston.. nor Habs vs Leafs..

Man, would be nice to face Chicago, first round, Vancouver 2nd round, Anaheim 3rd round and Detroit 4th round for a change no?

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Miller Time

do not like the playoff format at all...

should be a conference-wide playoffs from the first round.

and don't like that we're stuck with 16 teams to compete with for 8 playoff spots, whereas the western conference gets 8 spots from 14 teams... wild card spots should be league wide, not 2 from each conference.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
****, more playoff within division.. man boring.. we would never see Habs Detroit for stanley cup finals.. nor Habs vs Boston.. nor Habs vs Leafs..

Man, would be nice to face Chicago, first round, Vancouver 2nd round, Anaheim 3rd round and Detroit 4th round for a change no?
A change would be making it past the 2nd or 3rd round. Personally I love in divison playoffs each year.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Pigems*

Quote:

There were two proposals one had West 14 teams, East 16 or West 16 teams, East 14 teams and the second had 15 teams in each leaving option to add one team to each or two teams to one or the other depending on where the new teams will be located they could use any other the three options.

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
The dumbest system I've seen so far.
What I'd do is cancel all Conferences and Divisions. I'd make a league where each team would face all other teams once at home and once away which makes it 29*2=58 game only. Then the 3rd game between both teams will be drawn (its location). At the end we'll have 87 games per team per season. TOP 16 teams make the playoffs when 1vs16, 2vs15 etc..
wut.
you are proposing is more games and more flight distance?

I love the idea, but its not feasible

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Habitants

and what happens when phx has to move to QC?

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

why is our division called the Central? Swap Tampa and Florida with Columbus and Carolina and call ours the North-East

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
why is our division called the Central? Swap Tampa and Florida with Columbus and Carolina and call ours the North-East
Maybe its because there is a higher attendance when the canadiens are in florida state.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
sheed36

Not a fan of the divisional playoff format proposed at all. Keep it a conference playoff format where #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7, etc.. I like that there's a chance the Habs could play teams like the Flyers, Pens, Rangers in round 1. Why can't the NHL just leave well enough alone and keep the current playoff format as is.

I wouldn't even mind if they changed it to a 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 type format which could see east vs west teams in round 1. Just imagine a Habs vs Bruins or Habs vs Leafs Stanley Cup final. With the divisional or conference playoff format that can never happen.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Joker

Columbus or Nashville should have been moved into Atlanta's old spot.

Then Winnipeg can be moved into Columbus/Nashville's spot.

There, done.

The current NHL division/conference format is perfectly fine the way it is. It's way better than this realignment proposal.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Wow, but I LOVE our division (sans Florida). You got the old school rivalries and the francophone laden Tampa Bay Lightning.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
hardcorehabs

all about the money for the nhl. garbage. high market teams with sunshine state.
stupid.

hardcorehabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

So dumb. Boston, Miami and Tampa are much closer to The Atlantic ocean than Pittsburgh or Columbus.

Like someone else suggested, put Nashville in the Southeast, Winnipeg in the Central - DONE DEAL!

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Columbus or Nashville should have been moved into Atlanta's old spot.

Then Winnipeg can be moved into Columbus/Nashville's spot.

There, done.

The current NHL division/conference format is perfectly fine the way it is. It's way better than this realignment proposal.
Works for me

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
So dumb. Boston, Miami and Tampa are much closer to The Atlantic ocean than Pittsburgh or Columbus.

Like someone else suggested, put Nashville in the Southeast, Winnipeg in the Central - DONE DEAL!
This is not simply a Winnipeg issue. Teams like Detroit have been asking for realignment for quite some time. The travel for teams in the mid-west is quite horrific. Plus a lot of their games are played at 9:00 pm local time which isn't great for viewership.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
A change would be making it past the 2nd or 3rd round. Personally I love in divison playoffs each year.
Yah but it's getting boring..

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike8

This would be great. Detroit in the same division would be a lot of fun. BOS, TOR, DET, MTL makes for great rivalries. Terrific fanbases, and the bar is set high in this division with DET there.

Also a big fan of divisional playoffs. That's how rivalries are made. The two most entertaining rivalries of the past couple of decades have been: DET-COL (and, by extension, with DAL, and to a lesser extent STL), and MTL-BOS. Those all came about through rivalry.

And, sure, in the late '90s, DET, COL, DAL, STL and NJ probably formed the best 5 in the league. 4 of those 5 came from the West, so it meant each year those 4 would be battling it out. Now, STL was always a step below the others, but they were a decent thorn in the side of DET. It meant that those four clubs would battle it out and would never see each other in the Finals. But this doesn't matter: it ensured high quality, heated hockey from early on in the playoffs. It was beautiful to watch. That only comes with repeated playoff appearances against the same clubs.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I HATE the playoff format. It annoys me tremendously. It's a MAJOR turn off. I don't want to be force fed rivalries.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
WeeBey

The six division format is the only one that makes sense. They could actually make pretty good divisions if they went horizontally OR stopped trying to create a feud between Vancouver and the Alberta teams.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Cupmonger

Don't like the playoff format. Seems too messed up.

So, for examples' sake, our division would have us, bruins, sens, leafs and Wings in the playoffs. We'd basically have to play more games in order to reach to the conference finals? Or does one of the wild cards get sent to another division? If so, that means an "intruder" team from another division could win the division title? Seems too messed up... Makes no sense.

Or maybe, the idea would be, if there's 5 teams in the division going into the playoffs. It would 2nd vs 5th, 3rd vs 4th, and 1st waits? No doesn't work, still ends up with odd number teams. Or do we send 3rd to another division for the playoffs?? Ugh...

Last edited by Cupmonger: 02-26-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Cupmonger is online now   Reply With Quote