HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Old
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
First of all, the FNC is already a difficult place to play....for the Sabres.
Depends on how we define "play". Pegula turned the players' areas at the FNC into a man cave. It's time to take away their toys and quit treating them like rock stars to remind them they're there to work, not to play.

Quote:
Each room is adorned with state-of-the-art gadgets from flat screen TVs to agenda and message boards for the players. Photos of past and present Sabres adorn each wall.

The playerís lounge has changed from its former spartan-feel to a living room-like atmosphere with lounge chairs, a working fireplace, three Apple computers, blu-ray screens and Xbox games for the players.
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b....html?page=all

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Burn down the locker room, it's cursed, especially that damn fireplace

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
A lot of season ticket holders will sell off games to subsidize their tickets...mainly to Canadian fans.
FWIW I'm taking a loss on a lot of my tickets this year. Team sucks, people don't want to go. I'm not complaining btw, it's just the way it is. I'm giving more tickets to friends instead.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Forgot the amazing lights out hockey Winnepeg plays and their atmosphere blows ours out of the water. Intimidation helps. It's an obvious factor. What is the benefit for the Sabres to play at home right now?
Pretty unfair to compare the crowd of a team in 29th place, to the crowd who just received their franchise back after being starved for 16 years.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
surround the opponents bench with caged starving lions and dangle meat in front of them on the other side of the bars for the whole game.

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Season ticket holders (as a whole) is the exact opposite of a fair weather fan. Every year thru thick and thin they front thousands of dollars. Not just the next season because the Sabres do well the year before. Sure some sell the majority of their tickets, some go to all home games. I think most are somewhere in between. As usual, big blanket, all encompassing statements make you look foolish ... Again. Sadly you never realize this until you hit submit and others call you out on it. Stop the generalizing bro. It's tired, it's wrong, and it's predictable. To say 75%, is quite outrageous. If anything, it's 10%, and that's being generous. To lump 11,000-12,000 STHers having the same mindset is lame.

As a STH, MayDay hit it exactly right. No if's and's or buts. No assumptions. No "other meaning". No implied hidden bigger point.
I stand by my statement. I know plenty of StHs and they get rid of all their Leaf, Hab and Pens games to cover met of their costs. I do like how you love to always jump at a chance to "call me out" like I give two *****. For how "foolish" I look I'm more right about things then 90% of the people around here.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.
Agreed 100%.

Buffalo could take a page out of Tort's book, put the fourth line out there to start home games and have them fight on the first shift at the opening faceoff ala Prust last season. At least momentarily, everyone would be into the game. That is, until the rest of the team comes out with their lackluster, listless, lifeless playing-for-the-money play.

02-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I stand by my statement. I know plenty of StHs and they get rid of all their Leaf, Hab and Pens games to cover met of their costs.
STHers are allowed to sell their tickets to cover their costs. There's nothing wrong with that, especially since most of them sell for less than box office unless the demand is there anyhow.

As far as the 75% are lethargic comment - that's more about the team being boring losers than about the fans themselves. Labeling STHers as fairweather fans is ridiculous. They're the ones committing to tickets and they all know that if the on-ice product sucks, they're going to have trouble selling tickets, which makes it a pretty horrible investment.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Burn down the locker room, it's cursed, especially that damn fireplace
You want to burn down a fireplace? That's pretty hardcore.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I stand by my statement. I know plenty of StHs and they get rid of all their Leaf, Hab and Pens games to cover met of their costs. I do like how you love to always jump at a chance to "call me out" like I give two *****. For how "foolish" I look I'm more right about things then 90% of the people around here.
What purpose does it serve to make that claim anyway?

STHers are the lifeblood of the organization. The average wage here is probably less than most places, so of course more are likely to sell off some tickets.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:17 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

If STH's are so boring, then wouldn't it be a good thing for them to sell their tickets? Then all those energetic Sabres fans that care more than STH's could buy the tickets and go in their place.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
If STH's are so boring, then wouldn't it be a good thing for them to sell their tickets? Then all those energetic Sabres fans that care more than STH's could buy the tickets and go in their place.
But that would require spending money!

It's much easier to post on an internet message board criticizing the STHs who spend thousands of dollars on tickets, parking, and concessions every year, berating them for being bad fans and blaming them for not motivating the team.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:25 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Also, I am still interested in finding out where some of the people knocking the fans in the thread have their seats. Just the section would be fine, since it should be easy to spot such wild animals going crazy at these 4-0 losses.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
GodHatesBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Oh it's one of you people.

I observe and also cheer for the team. If you want to sit on your ass in silence there's a place for that: in your house. Or at a bar.
Thank you.

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:27 AM
drew5580

Quote:
Than

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:56 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Also, I am still interested in finding out where some of the people knocking the fans in the thread have their seats. Just the section would be fine, since it should be easy to spot such wild animals going crazy at these 4-0 losses.
Cheer when its 0-0?

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
The fans at the game pay through the nose for the right to be there. They can enjoy the game however they want.

If the atmosphere at the arena is bad, maybe, just maybe, it's because the team is an embarrassing pile of crap, plays a boring system and style of play, plays without heart or effort, make the same boneheaded mistakes game after game, duck hits and shy away from physical play, lose pretty much every puck battle, and seem constitutionally incapable of putting in three consecutive periods of honest effort. Maybe that's a bit difficult to get loud and excited about.

Maybe the lack of atmosphere should be blamed less on the people who shell out tons of money to watch a hockey game, and more on the people who are paid millions of dollars primarily to give them something to get excited about, and yet continually and completely fail to do so.
Speaking as a season ticket holder, thank you for saying how it is. I think of all the money spent for my club level seats, the beers, the food and then I think I really should be incensed for what they have been giving in return lately.
Doesn't even speak to the road trips done over the last few years and that expense on top of the home expense.

Thread closed.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Cheer when its 0-0?
I'm not familiar with section "Cheer when its 0-0". That must be the new section that they added to bring the seating capacity up to 19,070. I'll be sure to look for it on Saturday.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
Than
do you feel better about yourself now?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:02 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
I'm not familiar with section "Cheer when its 0-0". That must be the new section that they added to bring the seating capacity up to 19,070. I'll be sure to look for it on Saturday.
Talking about your comment on 4-0 games

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffTimes View Post
Free beer!

What could go wrong?
Ask the Cleveland Indians, circa 1970s.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Eh.

Bandits games are like a circus, and I don't mean that in a good way.

They have to carry on with all the nonsense because the sport by itself is not as exciting or as interesting to watch as hockey, hence the family 4-packs including popcorn, drinks, hot dogs, airline tix, new car & new house----all for $99.

The Sabre-fan issue is an entirely different type problem.

The problem with in-arena Sabres fans isn't that there aren't circus-hijinks going on to get fans excited, it's what I described earlier: namely the in-arena fanbase is made up by way too many fan-posers/bandwagoners who got excited with the team after the last lockout and just HAD to be there for games. It became a social status thing. Many of those aren't longtime, hardcore hockey fans, so they are angry the winning went away and just sit on their hands.
Sorry, but as a Bandit STH for a decade-plus, I HAVE to respond.

Lacrosse isn't as exciting or as interesting as hockey? Ozzie Guillen says "Psshh! Please." Even if the Bandits are blowing chunks on the field, with indoor lacrosse you can get right back in the game easily.(And it's happened many times.) With the Sabres, see what happens when the opposition scores. We go into Chinese fire-drill mode.

Last edited by ckg927: 02-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
drew5580

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
do you feel better about yourself now?
correcting someone who says hes "more right" then/than 90% of the people on here?...yeah

Last edited by drew5580: 02-26-2013 at 02:19 PM.
drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
ckg927

Give the fans a competitive team(even if they rack up more losses than wins), and the atmosphere returns.

On a less serious note, I'd love to import the fans of the Erie Otters, Rochester Americans, the Niagara IceDogs and Niagara University's Purple Eagles to show SabreFan how to back their team. (Especially Erie; they've stunk for many years, but you wouldn't know it by listening to their fans-it has a rep as one of the OHL's toughest places to play.)

Old
02-26-2013, 02:24 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
STHers are allowed to sell their tickets to cover their costs. There's nothing wrong with that, especially since most of them sell for less than box office unless the demand is there anyhow.

As far as the 75% are lethargic comment - that's more about the team being boring losers than about the fans themselves. Labeling STHers as fairweather fans is ridiculous. They're the ones committing to tickets and they all know that if the on-ice product sucks, they're going to have trouble selling tickets, which makes it a pretty horrible investment.
While it's perfectly fine and legal, I still don't like it when people do that. Buying season tickets with the intention of selling them to other fans just bothers me. Season tickets shouldn't be an investment.

To the second part, it's really not. Tons of teams with bad to mediocre teams still manage to get into the games more than this crowd does. People who only cheer for their team when they are good are known as "bandwagoners". The difference in Buffalo is people still show up and go through the motions. I'd guess this is largely because they bought the tickets while the bandwagon was still warm and are afraid to ditch them because of the wait list they might not be able to get back in when the team is good again. Tons of these people just sit in their seats all game long and ***** about every mistake the players make, while only moving when they score a goal.

I'm not sure when "The team isn't good enough" became a legitimate excuse not to cheer them on, but I really dislike it.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote