HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making FNC a hard place to play in?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
  #101
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Talking about your comment on 4-0 games
You chose to miss the point entirely: I doubt that the people that are in this thread pointing fingers at other fans are going to these games and doing anything different than anyone else.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
  #102
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Yes. At least I firmly believe that as do others in this thread obviously.

Then you have the "other folks" who I guess don't see it that way...
Yup, apparently the fans should only be excited and care when the team is playing well. When they aren't they might as well not even exist.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
  #103
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
You chose to miss the point entirely: I doubt that the people that are in this thread pointing fingers at other fans are going to these games and doing anything different than anyone else.
You're basically just making a giant assumption that we aren't doing what we say we do, and then trying to use that as a point in an argument. Can you not see why that is beyond stupid?

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
  #104
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
You're basically just making a giant assumption that we aren't doing what we say we do, and then trying to use that as a point in an argument. Can you not see why that is beyond stupid?
I'm not making the argument at all. It's just my suspicion. The arena has been brutally quiet this year. If someone really is sitting in a section trying to break that trend, I'd love to look over and see it.

I'm in section 103 for half of the games. If it turns out that someone is nearby and trying to get the crowd more lively, I'll be on the look out and support them on it. I'd even go as far as to grab a beer with someone and have laughs over it, instead of just calling people stupid on the internet.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
  #105
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
correcting someone who says hes "more right" then/than 90% of the people on here?...yeah
it just seems like a nit-pick when you could go through these forums and make 100 posts a day like the one you just made. I don't really see how one can be "more right" here because the argument is mainly opinion based. FWIW I'm with the majority

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
  #106
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I'm not making the argument at all. It's just my suspicion. The arena has been brutally quiet this year. If someone really is sitting in a section trying to break that trend, I'd love to look over and see it.

I'm in section 103 for half of the games. If it turns out that someone is nearby and trying to get the crowd more lively, I'll be on the look out and support them on it. I'd even go as far as to grab a beer with someone and have laughs over it, instead of just calling people stupid on the internet.
I think a lot of the problem is ticket prices. We're seeing it in Toronto right now: the tickets are so expensive only upper middle to upper class people who tend to be middle aged can afford to go to the games. These people just don't get up and cheer for sports teams. That's fine, I get it.

I just think you if you aren't going there to cheer for your team, you shouldn't go there to begin with. Sit home and watch it on TV, where you don't have to worry about people getting in your way when they're trying to start a cheer for the team.

I understand a lot of people on here are STH who probably sit on their ***** all game and do this, and I'll probably catch heat for it, but that's just how I feel.

If you pay for the tickets, you are more than welcome to do whatever you want at the games (as long as it's legal), but you aren't granted immunity from me criticizing you for it. You also have a right not to give a damn what I or anybody else in this thread thinks.

(Not directing that directly at you cardiff, it's just how I like to write)

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:46 PM
  #107
dotcommunism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I just think you if you aren't going there to cheer for your team, you shouldn't go there to begin with. Sit home and watch it on TV, where you don't have to worry about people getting in your way when they're trying to start a cheer for the team.
This is, well, it's ridiculously stupid. I go to hockey games because I like to watch hockey. Going to games is a different experience than watching in TV just because you can see different things and watch the game differently. The idea that I have some responsibility to cheer or something like that just because I go to games is asinine.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
  #108
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
While it's perfectly fine and legal, I still don't like it when people do that. Buying season tickets with the intention of selling them to other fans just bothers me. Season tickets shouldn't be an investment.
I think the majority of fans do it with the intention to go to a lot of games first and to sell the ones they're not going to go to or can make their money back on second.

At the end of the day, they buy the tickets, they have the right. The Sabres have some of the cheapest tickets available. At the end of the day, if you're a fan and you want tickets, they're there and they're still cheap, unless you want to go to the hottest games.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  #109
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
This is, well, it's ridiculously stupid. I go to hockey games because I like to watch hockey. Going to games is a different experience than watching in TV just because you can see different things and watch the game differently. The idea that I have some responsibility to cheer or something like that just because I go to games is asinine.
To you. I disagree whole-heartedly.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
  #110
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I think the majority of fans do it with the intention to go to a lot of games first and to sell the ones they're not going to go to or can make their money back on second.

At the end of the day, they buy the tickets, they have the right. The Sabres have some of the cheapest tickets available. At the end of the day, if you're a fan and you want tickets, they're there and they're still cheap, unless you want to go to the hottest games.
That is correct, I understand why they do it. You're also correct in that they bought the tickets and have the right. Once again, this doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticize the people who do it.

Cheap NHL tickets still aren't cheap. It's cheaper to go to Bills games. That's a bit silly considering the difference in games played.

I paid $160 two years ago to take two my friends to a game against the Florida Panthers. That's a decent chunk of change for a college student. They got pasted 6-2, and my friends and I get yelled at multiple times by other fans because we were standing up and cheering for the team. The atmosphere there is depressing, lazy, and toxic. I haven't been back since. People can make excuses all they want but it's probably the most awkward feeling being in a sports arena with 15,000 people sitting there looking annoyed.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
  #111
dotcommunism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
To you. I disagree whole-heartedly.
And why do you feel that people have this responsibility to cheer if they go to games? This is getting awfully close to "true fan" BS. Also, what's an acceptable level of cheering/not-cheering? At what point have I met the necessary cheering quota?

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
  #112
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
And why do you feel that people have this responsibility to cheer if they go to games? This is getting awfully close to "true fan" BS. Also, what's an acceptable level of cheering/not-cheering? At what point have I met the necessary cheering quota?
Because I do. Watching a group of 16,000 fans sit there in silence is really depressing and awkward. Ask anybody who has played hockey whether they'd rather play in front of an energetic, noisy crowd who cheers them on or thousands of people being dead silent.



Ask those guys if it matters. They play in front of 5-10 relatives in an empty, silent rink most nights of their lives.

Nobody said anything about an arbitrary amount of "cheering" you should do, but if the only time you cheer the team on is when you're reacting to a goal for then you're not doing enough.

The fact that I have to explain to hockey fans that fan atmosphere matters and is important absolutely blows my mind.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  #113
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That is correct, I understand why they do it. You're also correct in that they bought the tickets and have the right. Once again, this doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticize the people who do it.

Cheap NHL tickets still aren't cheap. It's cheaper to go to Bills games. That's a bit silly considering the difference in games played.

I paid $160 two years ago to take two my friends to a game against the Florida Panthers. That's a decent chunk of change for a college student. They got pasted 6-2, and my friends and I get yelled at multiple times by other fans because we were standing up and cheering for the team. The atmosphere there is depressing, lazy, and toxic. I haven't been back since. People can make excuses all they want but it's probably the most awkward feeling being in a sports arena with 15,000 people sitting there looking annoyed.
So, you went to 1 game a year ago, didn't like the jerks that sat near you, and haven't been back since?

Yet, you've got expectations of what people that buy tickets should be doing in order to appropriately support the team??

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
  #114
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Because I do. Watching a group of 16,000 fans sit there in silence is really depressing and awkward. Ask anybody who has played hockey whether they'd rather play in front of an energetic, noisy crowd who cheers them on or thousands of people being dead silent.



Ask those guys if it matters. They play in front of 5-10 relatives in an empty, silent rink most nights of their lives.

Nobody said anything about an arbitrary amount of "cheering" you should do, but if the only time you cheer the team on is when you're reacting to a goal for then you're not doing enough.

The fact that I have to explain to hockey fans that fan atmosphere matters and is important absolutely blows my mind.
If you're this worked up about it why don't you buy season and go cheer every game? Lead by example rather than point fingers. The video you are showing is pretty irrelevant. No one is arguing that a more intense atmosphere will lead to better play, but at the same time you can't expect the fans to be rah-rah none stop game in and game out when were in 29th and losing 4-0 to the islanders. Show me one fan base that has an intense atmosphere game in game out year after year after year. There isn't one

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
  #115
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
The fact that I have to explain to hockey fans that fan atmosphere matters and is important absolutely blows my mind.
I think it's more of a matter of "put your money where your mouth is."

Personally I think it's outrageous that people who go to, at most, 1-2 games a year, if that, would deign to lecture season ticket holders (the lifeblood of the franchise who spend thousands each year on tickets, parking, concessions, etc) on ANYTHING, and doubly outrageous when the lecture is on how to be better fans. They spend a small fortune every year to watch a putrid, heartless team underperform, and yet people here slam than for not being good enough fans. I find that ridiculous.

If people think that the atmosphere is bad and the STHs resell too many of their tickets, they are more than welcome to buy those tickets and go to the game and make noise.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
  #116
Lindy Puff
Registered User
 
Lindy Puff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 1111111111
Country: United States
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffTimes View Post
Free beer!

What could go wrong?
beer shortage.

Lindy Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
  #117
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Nothing in the arena makes you want to get loud. The decor, the team, the music... Each of these things play a part, and none of them work.

The arena looks and feels like a bank. It just doesn't seem like a place you go to have a good time.

The music sounds like it's picked by a 45 year old with a bunch of NOW... CDs. There are plenty of things that will induce people to yell and they don't do any of them.

The team isn't very interesting. They could at least start strong. It's tough to care when the playoffs are a statistical unlikelihood before you hit the halfway point of the season.

The administration seems to want to foster a family friendly atmosphere, which isn't loud.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
  #118
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Nothing in the arena makes you want to get loud. The decor, the team, the music... Each of these things play a part, and none of them work.

The arena looks and feels like a bank. It just doesn't seem like a place you go to have a good time.

The music sounds like it's picked by a 45 year old with a bunch of NOW... CDs. There are plenty of things that will induce people to yell and they don't do any of them.

The team isn't very interesting. They could at least start strong. It's tough to care when the playoffs are a statistical unlikelihood before you hit the halfway point of the season.

The administration seems to want to foster a family friendly atmosphere, which isn't loud.
There needs to be a balance between family friendly and getting the loud raucous hardcore fans in to make some noise and cheer on the team.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:33 PM
  #119
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
Nothing in the arena makes you want to get loud. The decor, the team, the music... Each of these things play a part, and none of them work.

The arena looks and feels like a bank. It just doesn't seem like a place you go to have a good time.

The music sounds like it's picked by a 45 year old with a bunch of NOW... CDs. There are plenty of things that will induce people to yell and they don't do any of them.

The team isn't very interesting. They could at least start strong. It's tough to care when the playoffs are a statistical unlikelihood before you hit the halfway point of the season.

The administration seems to want to foster a family friendly atmosphere, which isn't loud.
THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

That's exactly it.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:36 AM
  #120
dotcommunism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
The fact that I have to explain to hockey fans that fan atmosphere matters and is important absolutely blows my mind.
My point is that what a college-aged man thinks of as "cheering" might be, you know, simply being a huge jackass to other people. I mean, I'm only a 26 year old woman, but the fact is that I'm really hesitant of any environment that overly enables young men to be as rowdy and raucous as they want, because then you end up with crap like Bills games, and those are pretty awful, really.

dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:13 AM
  #121
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post

The fact that I have to explain to hockey fans that fan atmosphere matters and is important absolutely blows my mind.
the fact that you feel you are justified telling other people how to act after they paid for their ticket absolutely blows my mind. I agree with half the stuff you say about the atmosphere but you have as much right to tell people how they should act at games as I have telling Jame how to raise his kids. If they feel disinclined to cheer then they don't have too. If they want to yell shoot on the power play or let their kids dance and sing to the music fine. Welcome to America, a place where you have the right to sit silently, enjoy a yawn, and go home without bothering anyone. Do I think it's a stupid way to watch hockey? Absolutely, but so what, I hope they have a good time.

If Terry needs me to cheer in order for the team to win I'll do it for league minimum and I'll be the loudest every game. If hes not then I'm gonna get comfortable and take my notes, cheer big hits and goals, oo and ahh big saves and otherwise go unnoticed.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:14 AM
  #122
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,827
vCash: 500
This thread.... how about:
Do what you want at a game. Just know it helps the team to be lively if some fans show it. No ones obligated to but it's nice to cheer the team on even in tougher times.
As for dotcommunism's post... I find that pretty bold and broad. As a college student myself, I don't go to games to be a jackass and to harass others... Frankly I don't know many people my age who go to games to be like that....

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
  #123
beerme1
Registered User
 
beerme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
My point is that what a college-aged man thinks of as "cheering" might be, you know, simply being a huge jackass to other people. I mean, I'm only a 26 year old woman, but the fact is that I'm really hesitant of any environment that overly enables young men to be as rowdy and raucous as they want, because then you end up with crap like Bills games, and those are pretty awful, really.
I undestand your point but would say that it's not really the case. They are different fans at the rink than the stadium. There are nowhere near the number of idiots that could be incited as you suggest. Of course there are some but if it really is a problem they can be moved or ejected and I rarely see that.
I'm not discounting what you're saying at all but if it happens it happen sec 314 or something and you should know that too. Life is very different up in the rafters than the club level or the 100's.

As someone pointed out it is bank like in there. Sterile like.
However having been a season ticket holder who screams my brains out as a rule but not this year other than the Leaf game, (and how'd that work out lol) and despite the building tendencies it really is a simple matter and has been shown over they years.

If the team comes out and shows some passion they get encouragement from the fans. If they come out and show no heart no soul no care, they as a rule get that right back and it becomes a library. When this process occurs time and time again people get trained to the defeatest mentality and it compounds each game.
The players and the players only can break the chain and change the course.
The fans imo, merely follow their lead.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:28 AM
  #124
SuperNintendoChalmrs
Registered User
 
SuperNintendoChalmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
The atmosphere there is depressing, lazy, and toxic. I haven't been back since. People can make excuses all they want but it's probably the most awkward feeling being in a sports arena with 15,000 people sitting there looking annoyed.

It's a microcosm of the community at large.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:01 AM
  #125
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That is correct, I understand why they do it. You're also correct in that they bought the tickets and have the right. Once again, this doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticize the people who do it.
I'm not saying you don't have the right to criticize them just because I'm disagreeing with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Cheap NHL tickets still aren't cheap. It's cheaper to go to Bills games. That's a bit silly considering the difference in games played.
Right, but do you concede that it's not exactly difficult to go to a game if you're not an STHer? That's the point. Relative expensiveness as compared to other sports doesn't really do much for the argument. At the end of the day, FNC is still almost selling out most nights despite having a basement team. If nothing else, we can safely say that the market is clearly bearing the conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I paid $160 two years ago to take two my friends to a game against the Florida Panthers. That's a decent chunk of change for a college student. They got pasted 6-2, and my friends and I get yelled at multiple times by other fans because we were standing up and cheering for the team. The atmosphere there is depressing, lazy, and toxic. I haven't been back since. People can make excuses all they want but it's probably the most awkward feeling being in a sports arena with 15,000 people sitting there looking annoyed.
I'd definitely have an issue with that if I were you, too. It sounds like you had an unfortunate experience. The section I used to sit in (and Chain / Whammer can attest to this) was almost entirely comprised of STHers and I never saw them exhibit that sort of behavior unless a fan was being flat-out obnoxious (and I didn't say that to imply that that's what you and your friend were being). If that's the experience that's souring you to the fanbase as being aggressively lethargic, there's at least one piece of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

But - as much as it should be okay to energetically cheer on a team that's crapping the bed before your very eyes, it should be just as okay for others to choose not to. I don't buy into the idea that just because you're at the arena it's your job to cheer on a team loudly, especially when they suck as badly as this group is sucking. It also helps that I still very clearly remember how hard that place can rock when the team on the ice gives the paying fans something to cheer on.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.