HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Realignment Plan

Old
02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=S E P H;60512487]Thank you. I do admit that is pretty effin sick idea because it eliminates the MLB situation that good teams in a stronger division can still make the playoffs.

Effin how stupid is the MLB for not making this idea, hahahaha.

So that means if we win our division and Vancouver was 5th in their division because it is stronger we have a chance to play them?[/QUOTE]

If this proposal is accepted: yes

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Thank you. I do admit that is pretty effin sick idea because it eliminates the MLB situation that good teams in a stronger division can still make the playoffs.

Effin how stupid is the MLB for not making this idea, hahahaha.

So that means if we win our division and Vancouver was 5th in their division because it is stronger we have a chance to play them?
If Vancouver was 5th in their division, but had a better record than the team that was 4th in our division, yes.

What's not 100% clear is if the wild card teams stay in their own conference. I don't think either article specifically states that. I'm just assuming that's the case, because that would be kind of weird to ask the 1st place team to play a wild card team they've only seen twice during the year.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
If I calculate correctly Avs will play every out of division team twice and every in-division team six times.

This means Avs play 16 times in the Eastern time zone, 18 times in the Central time zone, 44 times in their own time zone and 4 times in the Pacific time zone.

Big improvement for Eastern fans of Avs.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Thepoolmaster

In the case of the wildcards do they always become 7 and 8? For example if the fourth place team in division 1 (wildcard in division 1) is better than the 3rd best team in division 2 (guaranteed playoff spot) that 4th place team still has to play the 2nd best team in whichever conference?

So the standings looks like this:

1 -2. DIV 1 winner/DIV 2 winner
3-6. DIV 1 (2,3)/ DIV 2 (2,3)
7-8 Wildcards (either 4,4 from both divisions or 4,5 from one division)
???

Thepoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If I calculate correctly Avs will play every out of division team twice and every in-division team six times.

This means Avs play 16 times in the Eastern time zone, 18 times in the Central time zone, 44 times in their own time zone and 4 times in the Pacific time zone.

Big improvement for Eastern fans of Avs.
Do we know for sure they play the in division teams six times? Neither article mentions that.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Do we know for sure they play the in division teams six times? Neither article mentions that.
I'm pretty sure that's what Bob McKenzie said on twitter this afternoon, at least for the 7 team divisions. The math adds up too.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
That's the only way the math works out.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what Bob McKenzie said on twitter this afternoon, at least for the 7 team divisions. The math adds up too.
Well, then that's probably likely then.

Quote:
That's the only way the math works out.
That's with the amount of teams they have now. If they add two more teams in the West like it looks like they could, then there's actually no way for the math to work out evenly.

They'll have to play some teams less then others. 6 and 2 doesn't work, neither does 5 and 3, and neither does playing all the teams in your conference equally, while playing the other conference home and home.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
That's with the amount of teams they have now. If they add two more teams in the West like it looks like they could, then there's actually no way for the math to work out evenly.

They'll have to play some teams less then others. 6 and 2 doesn't work, neither does 5 and 3, and neither does playing all the teams in your conference equally, while playing the other conference home and home.
Of course. What's the point of discussing the schedule for anything but the current NHL?

Old
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Avsboy

This is great! We aren't stuck with Anaheim, San Jose and LA. Games are earlier as well.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Of course. What's the point of discussing the schedule for anything but the current NHL?
I'm just pointing out you're still making assumptions, it's not set in stone that it would be six games within the division like you said.

The eastern teams are gonna be awfully pissed they have a tougher time making the playoffs than the west with that setup, unless two teams are being added to the West.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
CB Joe

Chicago is probably really thrilled about this too.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 320
It's an improvement over the previous proposal, if only because the Avs have that many more "early" starts and won't be playing west coast teams every other game.

But I still don't see the point in a massive realignment right now, especially one that seems to assume expansion will occur shortly. Why not just flip Nashville and Winnipeg for now, and then blow it up when you actually have the teams to justify it? The unbalanced conferences just seem so stupid to me. I mean, I know Detroit has been peeing their pants to go back east, but can't they wait a few more seasons?

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 320
Quote:
The eastern teams are gonna be awfully pissed they have a tougher time making the playoffs than the west with that setup, unless two teams are being added to the West.
Well, the previous proposal had the west with the extra teams, so I don't think it's a hint about who's going where. As for the switch, I think it may have been to appease the west who already has to travel that much more. To also have a tougher time getting into the playoffs was a pretty chump move.

At any rate, I don't like the set-up, and think they should get their ducks in a row before knocking them down.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

I don't like the earlier starts but oh well this is pretty good for us.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
I'm just pointing out you're still making assumptions, it's not set in stone that it would be six games within the division like you said.

Ok, I guess you'll just have to wait until someone writes it in an article before you believe it.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Well, the previous proposal had the west with the extra teams, so I don't think it's a hint about who's going where. As for the switch, I think it may have been to appease the west who already has to travel that much more. To also have a tougher time getting into the playoffs was a pretty chump move.

At any rate, I don't like the set-up, and think they should get their ducks in a row before knocking them down.
They've got to do something to balance it out. There's no way the owners, the GM's, or the players in the east are gonna go for it being tougher on them to make the playoffs, and either make more money for the owners, or give the players a chance at the cup.

Maybe if Bettman assures them it will only be for one season, but even that's a tough sell. That's millions of dollars in profit at stake for the owners.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Ok, I guess you'll just have to wait until someone writes it in an article before you believe it.
Jesus why are you so defensive? I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm saying that the idea of "that's the only way the math works" is misleading and pointless if we don't know how many teams there will be, and it looks like there's a strong case for there being two more, or some sort of change in structure that will easily change the math.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Jesus why are you so defensive? I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm saying that the idea of "that's the only way the math works" is misleading and pointless if we don't know how many teams there will be, and it looks like there's a strong case for there being two more, or some sort of change in structure that will easily change the math.
We're discussing the current reported proposal and the schedule for next year. So we do know "how many teams there will be" and how the math works out.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
We're discussing the current reported proposal and the schedule for next year. So we do know "how many teams there will be" and how the math works out.

Both Seattle and Quebec have said they have temporary arenas they can use while the newer ones are being finished. Meanwhile Phoenix continues to bleed money, and hasn't resolved it's ownership situation, and eastern teams are gonna throw a fit that the West has it easier with 14 teams. We don't know how many teams there will be, but yes your hypothetical math works. You just left out the hypothetical part, and implied it was a fact.

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-26-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: deleted the first part
Old
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:

Both Seattle and Quebec have said they have temporary arenas they can use while the newer ones are being finished. Meanwhile Phoenix continues to bleed money, and hasn't resolved it's ownership situation.
Do you think NHL will expand between now and September? Seriously?

There is zero chance of there being anything but 30 NHL teams next year and with the proposed divisions Avs will play out of division teams twice and in division teams six times. Of course if the proposed divisions change and Avs would end up in an eight team division, that would slightly change in division games (it would be 38 games vs 7 division teams, so 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5).

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-26-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: did some cleaning
Old
02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
It's an improvement over the previous proposal, if only because the Avs have that many more "early" starts and won't be playing west coast teams every other game.

But I still don't see the point in a massive realignment right now, especially one that seems to assume expansion will occur shortly. Why not just flip Nashville and Winnipeg for now, and then blow it up when you actually have the teams to justify it? The unbalanced conferences just seem so stupid to me. I mean, I know Detroit has been peeing their pants to go back east, but can't they wait a few more seasons?
I think it would be a hit (in terms of popularity) among the fans if it started next year.

What I don't get currently is both Eastern divisions have 8 teams each with West having 7. With the unknown situation concerning Phoenix (either staying or moving to Quebec/Seattle) they might have to realignment the teams after the realignment took place. Especially if they move to Quebec City.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think it would be a hit (in terms of popularity) among the fans if it started next year.

What I don't get currently is both Eastern divisions have 8 teams each with West having 7. With the unknown situation concerning Phoenix (either staying or moving to Quebec/Seattle) they might have to realignment the teams after the realignment took place. Especially if they move to Quebec City.
I think this proposal most likely means Seattle is the front runner if Phoenix are moved.

In the future if the league adds Markham and Quebec or whatever, there has to be small changes (for example Avs move to Pacific and Columbus and some other team takes Avs spot in the Central).

Old
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Do you think NHL will expand between now and September? Seriously?

There is zero chance of there being anything but 30 NHL teams next year and with the proposed divisions Avs will play out of division teams twice and in division teams six times. Of course if the proposed divisions change and Avs would end up in an eight team division, that would slightly change in division games (it would be 38 games vs 7 division teams, so 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5).
How far do you want to go to rationalize this idea that the teams are set in stone for next year?

Atlanta sold it's team on May 31st 2011, and played it's first game in Winnepeg four months later on September 20th.

Let it go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta...and_relocation

Last edited by Frenchy: 02-26-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
henchman24
If and if...

I like the fact that we would on the 14 team side instead of the 16 team side. Easier for Sacco to keep his job.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote