Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Last season? This is his first season in NHL.
Follow the convo and it would have been obvious to you that the comment was regarding Seto.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Finnsane
Feed the population

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
Don´t agree with the bolded part but the other part totally. Granlund has been extremely inconsistent and at times a liability to his team- no way you can pin that on Yeo not giving him more time, who the hell would. It´s not the lack of flashy plays from Granlund, it´s the bad plays and mistakes that cost the team.

Having said that, the guy just turned 20 years old. He might need a year or two just to bulk up and be able to play in this league. Looking back, obviously the expectations were too high on him making immediate impact as a high draft pick. Then again you got a undrafted guy who is 5ft 7 in leading the rookie scoring with PPG production. You never really know how these guys turn out and who makes it.
Actually he is gonna be 21 in two days. Bust

Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Can't believe some people are actually advocating that we trade him already.

I'll give him at least two more years before even considering calling him a bust. I brought it up yesterday and I'll bring it up again now, look how long it took Kadri to develop. People were calling him a bust and look how he's turning out.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:19 PM
vitogor

The entire team sucks up and down the lineup, but yeah, let's make our top prospect a scapegoat. Great idea...

Old
02-24-2013, 08:54 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

So I was looking for where Granlund was called the smartest player in the 2010 draft class, and I found TSN's final rankings for that draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=24944

He's ranked 13th, and in the description it says:

Quote:
NHL scouts surveyed by TSN voted Finnnish centre Mikael Granlund the “smartest player” in the entire draft class, edging out Tyler Seguin for that honor.
But then I read the rest of the paragraph and noticed this:

Quote:
He could easily slide into the top 10 but could also slide to the second half of the first round. A mini wild card, if you will.
Foreshadowing by TSN?

Old
02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Can't believe some people are actually advocating that we trade him already.

I'll give him at least two more years before even considering calling him a bust. I brought it up yesterday and I'll bring it up again now, look how long it took Kadri to develop. People were calling him a bust and look how he's turning out.
not calling him bust, but this miserably team called minnesota wild. it doesn't even remotely resemble like hockey team anymore, trading him away now (at least he still has some value) and acquiring another grinder to chasing puck would suit better to this pathetic system

he is no bust he has proven it already. becoming elite playmaker, one needs team which even tries to play a game.

Last edited by behemolari: 02-25-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Beegoalie

Granlund got time on the top PP unit in practice today per Russo..

Been saying all year he needs to get up there and do what he does best. Gain some confidence playing with skilled players even if its only for those 3 minutes of ice time a game it will certainly help.

If he's on the 4th line again and not getting that PP time I think we gotta send him down.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
This is most excellent news.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post

Been saying all year he needs to get up there and do what he does best. Gain some confidence playing with skilled players even if its only for those 3 minutes of ice time a game it will certainly help.

If he's on the 4th line again and not getting that PP time I think we gotta send him down.
Sending him down? Do you realize it would shake the earth in Finland, and send European economy in free fall. Sending Mikael, The son of the god, the bringer of the rain and the World Champion, to minors at this point, would not be correct at any level, as he has performed ok in most of hes last games and has been showing progress.

Just kidding. It would be annoying, but it probably is better than playing in 4th line. Hope he can get what he deserves and get more chances to play up in solid role. He has already earned it in hes earlier career but in north america, you must earn it again and again. Luckily he has improved and if they just can have trust in him and get whole team's play going, the confidence, the points and the great passes would follow.

Last edited by QnebO: 02-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
nickschultzfan

It's not like Cullen and Brodziak are out playing him by much. Cullen has had his early season hot-streaky. He will vanish for the last 30 games. Brodziak is not as good as he was last year (I partially blame being on a line with Clutterbuck, who he has zero chemistry with).

Old
02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Sportserie

I want to see Granlund and Parise together for more than two seconds. Maybe if Granlund gets in on the first line PP we will see this.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Russo:

Quote:
"I’ve gotten a lot of Twitter questions about whether the Wild’s hurting Granlund’s development by scratching him and putting him on the fourth line. I talked to Yeo about that today and I’ll probably write about that in the next day or so."

Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Gaps

Today's Mikael's 21st birthday. Cool bday present to (hopefully) be able to play in the top PP unit.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Beegoalie

Excited to see what he can do on the top unit. That is if we draw any penalties...

Old
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Ville231

Why cant they give him a chance to play the full game in the first line? Its hard for him to get his game going on the 4th line. That being said, im glad Yeo finally gave him a opportunity in the top PP.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
Why cant they give him a chance to play the full game in the first line? Its hard for him to get his game going on the 4th line. That being said, im glad Yeo finally gave him a opportunity in the top PP.
cause as soon as they get scored on, yeo will panic and put koivu back on their.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
There is never really any simple answers, but in my opinion, Granlund wasn't able to show he could handle the physical rigors playing second line minutes. I personally wouldn't be comfortable seeing him playing 1st line minutes if all he is going to do is get pushed over. Just my stance.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
PhillyPhinn

Quote:
Because the team isn't called the Minnesota Granlunds, as much as we finns would like it. He hasn't earned that role, and frankly, he hasn't earned no.1 PP time either. I guess this could be a "show us what you can do"-moment, and if it doesn't work out, they'll send him to Houston.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Sportserie

I don't see why Coyle gets the chance right now and Granlund doesn't. It's obvious at least Yeo realizes Heatley isn't the answer with Parise and MK. So it's kind of up for grabs who gets that spot. Get Granlund in there!

Actually, I do have a feeling that is why he is now on first line PP. I think if he shows chemistry with Parise and the other awesome Finn, he will be starting with them.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Because the team isn't called the Minnesota Granlunds, as much as we finns would like it. He hasn't earned that role, and frankly, he hasn't earned no.1 PP time either. I guess this could be a "show us what you can do"-moment, and if it doesn't work out, they'll send him to Houston.
And Heatley has earned it? Granlund was playing 2nd line his first games in the NHL. I wasn't expecting him to be amazing right off the bat. But he has been improving every game. Replacing Heatley on the 1st line might not work out, but not even trying it seems worse. Let him play with the one guy who can mentor him better than anyone, that being Koivu, and a guy who can finish his passes, that being Parise.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Ville231

Ye, well Granlund played his best shifts in last years' WC with Koivu. I just dont get what the problem is, its a low risk-high reward situation. If Granlund cant play with Koivu and Parise, Yeo can just send him to Houston for big minutes.

Its not like the top line has been clicking with the other try-outs (Heater & Coyle). And what did Coyle exactly do to get the first line spot? Granlund seems like the best available choice for top line wing. Granlund is pretty useless in the 4th line, which is a better suited role for Konopka. There's no reason to scratch Konopka.

Just saying...

Old
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think it's a bit odd that Granlund was seemingly guaranteed a spot on the roster but not so much in terms of his place within it. Every other call-up has immediately played over him. Not too sure how to look into that but I think it certainly raises eyebrows that Yeo doesn't seem to really buy into him. It's especially curious when this team struggles immensely with possession and Granlund is one of the best on the roster, even more so projecting forward.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think it's a bit odd that Granlund was seemingly guaranteed a spot on the roster but not so much in terms of his place within it. Every other call-up has immediately played over him. Not too sure how to look into that but I think it certainly raises eyebrows that Yeo doesn't seem to really buy into him. It's especially curious when this team struggles immensely with possession and Granlund is one of the best on the roster, even more so projecting forward.
What baffles me is why you'd actually guarantee a prospect a spot in the lineup, especially one who's playing his first season in NA. Because he's an early pick? Because he's been overhyped by the organization? Why would you do that if your objective is to build a successful team? You need competition to succeed. Did they promise him a spot with the Wild because sending him down would be a PR disaster? Or is there another reason we're not aware of?

Granlund is not the kind of a kid to behave like a diva and demand a guaranteed spot, so obviously someone else (or maybe even several parties) really wants to keep him there.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Ville231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
What baffles me is why you'd actually guarantee a prospect a spot in the lineup, especially one who's playing his first season in NA. Because he's an early pick? Because he's been overhyped by the organization? Why would you do that if your objective is to build a successful team? You need competition to succeed. Did they promise him a spot with the Wild because sending him down would be a PR disaster? Or is there another reason we're not aware of?

Granlund is not the kind of a kid to behave like a diva and demand a guaranteed spot, so obviously someone else (or maybe even several parties) really wants to keep him there.
Yep its seems like MY doesn't trust him enough to let him play decent minutes and at the same time he doesn't have the balls to send him down to play for Houston.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
nickschultzfan

Odd thing about Granlund is how his hands have seemed to disappear. Everything else makes sense, but he's been fumbling the puck a ton. Must be nerves or something.

Closed Thread