HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
  #751
416Leafer
Registered User
 
416Leafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I was thinking of this too. Honestly I'm surprised the are thinking of moving Detroit East. They are a huge draw for lots of teams out West and they are Chicago's biggest rival historically. Combine that with the fact the either someone who have to move back West or else QC gets put in a crap situation and I don't get it.
Detroit was "promised" they'd be the first team to move East in any future Conference re-arrangements.

I wonder if this opens the door for a city like Seattle to get an NHL team. That's a city I've always thought could support one. Pretty good size, and similar to Buffalo, they can draw fans from North of the border (granted Seattle is further from the border than Buffalo).

416Leafer is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
  #752
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
But many games will be wasted playing teams out west, on long road trips, who just want to go through the motions.
Welcome to our hell

The Last Dynasty is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
  #753
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 5,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Welcome to our hell
Yes, this a beef West fans (like yourself judging by your avatar) have had for a long time.

Tinalera is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
  #754
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I was thinking of this too. Honestly I'm surprised the are thinking of moving Detroit East. They are a huge draw for lots of teams out West and they are Chicago's biggest rival historically. Combine that with the fact the either someone who have to move back West or else QC gets put in a crap situation and I don't get it.
You're acting as if QC is some kind of foregone conclusion, when this makes it appear that that's the opposite of the case.

The league is Eastern heavy as it is. Based on this setup I'd say expansion/relocation to the Eastern Time Zone isn't likely in the near future.

This supports the feeling I've had for a while now that you're most likely going to see Seattle Metropolitans or Totems jerseys in the NHL before you see the Nordiques again.

IceAce is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
  #755
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ment-plan.html

Interesting little nugget in the article from Friedman, apparently they've committed to this for "3 years". Would suggest to me that after 3 years we see rearranging/shuffling/expansion?

If that's the case, and QC gets an expansion in 3 years (and whoever else), wonder if Columbus is simply a "placeholder" for QC, and will get gets sent to the Midwest in 3 years time.
This schedule is such a ridiculous pander to the expansion markets that need their transplants in the arena once a year. Horrible on every level.

As a Bruins fan, I get possibly 2 home games vs Montreal but a guaranteed on vs every western team? Joy of joys

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
  #756
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
However, to your point about fans in certain cities wanting to see Crosby come to town ... BULL! This is not the NBA, fans do not pay to see stars, they pay to see teams! And when has Crosby or Ovenchin (however the hell the guy's name is spelled) ever been any sort of draw outside their own markets? Neither one of them are Wayne Gretzky, no matter how hard everyone tries to make it so (and even Gretzky had a great supporting cast during his Edmonton years, he didn't do it all alone.)
Alright, people would like to see the high flying Pittsburgh Penguins featuring Crosby and Malkin.

KingsFan7824 is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  #757
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Welcome to our hell
Yea but it was only in your own conference. So I don't see why it is the same?

They could have done this realignment and kept a more division heavy schedule (like now) which would mean your team did not need to fly to Boston every year.

So yea you cut down on travel to Detroit, but now you have to play all the teams in the east once.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
  #758
Enigma Publius
Registered User
 
Enigma Publius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Empire State
Country: United States
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Just re-read Lebrun's article and came across this:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...ue-4-divisions



So let me see if I am understanding this right. Let's say next year, it works out so 4 teams from the Atlantic and 4 teams from the Central make it in. Now, let's say the Flyers win the Atlantic with 110 points, and the Senators win the Central with 105. For the two bottom seeds, the "wild-cards" you have the Isles with 92 points and the Leafs with 88 points. According to what Lebrun is saying, the Flyers, having the better record of the division champs would play the Leafs, the lower seeded wild-card and the Isles would play the Senators in the first round?

This is the stupidest thing in the World. I HOPE this ONLY applies when 5 teams from one division make it in and 3 teams from the other get in. If it is 4 and 4, I hope it is strictly 1 v 4, 2 v 3. Please tell me I am reading this wrong, or please tell me Lebrun left out this detail.
Unless there's a provision like you suggest, this would have happened in 2008-2009 in the West. Division Winners: SJS - 117pts; CHI - 104pts. Wild Cards: ANA - 91pts; NSH - 88pts.

Round 1:
CHI (104) v. ANA (91)
STL (92) v. MIN (89)

SJS (114) v. NSH (88)
VAN (100) v. CLG (98)

What a reward for winning the division.

Enigma Publius is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:42 PM
  #759
Fleury4ever
Registered User
 
Fleury4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Looking at the new plan, Columbus & Pittsburgh still should be swapped with TB & Miami.

Central name not fitting for MTL & Boston, but at least there's some geographic sense.

Fleury4ever is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:43 PM
  #760
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Alright, people would like to see the high flying Pittsburgh Penguins featuring Crosby and Malkin.
Point is, fans in any given market shouldn't be paying to see the other team or its stars, they should be paying to see their own teams! I repeat, 95% of the arguments made throughout this thread are absurd!

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
  #761
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
This schedule is such a ridiculous pander to the expansion markets that need their transplants in the arena once a year. Horrible on every level.

As a Bruins fan, I get possibly 2 home games vs Montreal but a guaranteed on vs every western team? Joy of joys
You realistically want 6 games against each division opponent again? That's a bit of overkill. 4 is probably just about right. Especially now given the fact you have 3 more teams in your division then you had previously.

IceAce is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
  #762
SCARFACE909
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
First off, you're right, the provincialism is really getting annoying. However, to your point about fans in certain cities wanting to see Crosby come to town ... BULL! This is not the NBA, fans do not pay to see stars, they pay to see teams! And when has Crosby or Ovenchin (however the hell the guy's name is spelled) ever been any sort of draw outside their own markets? Neither one of them are Wayne Gretzky, no matter how hard everyone tries to make it so (and even Gretzky had a great supporting cast during his Edmonton years, he didn't do it all alone.) Come on, some of the oft-repeated arguments around this whole re-alignment issue that are accepted almost as gospel are just painfully absurd. Like the notion two teams can't be rivals if they don't play one-hundred million times a year. Does the earth come off its axis if, say, Montreal and Boston no longer play in the same division? What does it say about the financial strength of most franchises when they are, at least according to most of you, completely dependent on who their opponents are on a nightly basis!? How about the notion that anybody is actually put out by their teams having to visit the West Coast a few times a year? Do we hear NBA/MLB teams & fans whining about this? Both leagues have far more travel as is. And, finally, there is no more need for any debate on this subject: JUST MOVE NASHVILLE to the Southeast, and then jumble around Vancouver, Dallas, and Winnipeg in the West. All that needs to be done, and let anyone who isn't satisfied moan until they're blue in the face. Ideally, of course, we'd have a setup like MLB and the NFL, and everyone would have to share the 'burden,' but everyone would just whine about that, too. This is a business, not the personal plaything of a small handful of teams on the East Coast and their entitled fans! The ignorance of this shown by almost everyone who has posted in this thread is stunning, but go ahead, flame away, tell me how wrong I am, since most of you are, apparently, such know-it-alls ...
Wrong, yes people pay to see the "Penguins" but they're also doing so because those same Penguins have Crosby and Malkin, same with Washington and Ovechkin.

SCARFACE909 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
  #763
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
You realistically want 6 games against each division opponent again? That's a bit of overkill. 4 is probably just about right.
I would take 8.. divisional games are the balls.

Bruins and Islanders play tonight.. how much you want to be its a dull game?

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:46 PM
  #764
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,759
vCash: 500
You can’t get a prefect setup, alignment and scheduling, for the Regular Season and the Playoffs all combined. There’s just too many limitations, variables, and differing opinions and preferences. Seriously, the League should just prioritize. The Regular Season is setup to feed the Playoffs the best teams in that Season. Division rivals are primarily Playoff based, though logically should be geographically oriented. The priority then is to get those Division matchups in the Playoffs as much as possible.
The Playoffs are also Conference oriented. So therefore, shouldn’t scheduling in the Regular Season be prioritized by Division and Conference? And that means also playing an even number of games against each of those Divisional and Conference opponents. It doesn’t matter so much the number, as long as it’s even.

The Regular Season schedule should be something like this:
Western Conference
Div
6 x 3 = 18
4 x 3 = 12
Conf
4 x 7 = 28
Other Conf
2 x 8 = 16
1 x 8 = 8

Eastern Conference
Div
4 x 7 = 28
Conf
4 x 8 = 32
Other Conf
2 x 8 = 16
1 x 6 = 6

Again, the priority is in Playoff Division matchups as much as possible. That’s where the Division really counts.

Secondly, with such a schedule, a crossover still makes sense.

Thirdly, Minnesota, Dallas, Detroit, Columbus, they all have reduced Regular Season schedules against far-west teams. The other CTZ teams will in the majority of cases get much less Playoff matchups against far-west teams. Those are all improvements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Either expand to 32 teams or keep it to 15 teams per conference...
Expand to 32 teams or keep it with 6 5-team Divisions.


Last edited by MoreOrr: 02-26-2013 at 02:56 PM.
MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
  #765
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would take 8.. divisional games are the balls.

Bruins and Islanders play tonight.. how much you want to be its a dull game?

If it's dull it will be because the Islanders stink and Boston is in a different class. Not because of the fact that we don't play in the same Division. It's NY vs Boston for cripe's sake!

IceAce is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:49 PM
  #766
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Yea but it was only in your own conference. So I don't see why it is the same?

They could have done this realignment and kept a more division heavy schedule (like now) which would mean your team did not need to fly to Boston every year.

So yea you cut down on travel to Detroit, but now you have to play all the teams in the east once.
a lot of teams and fans wanna see the Bruins and the Rangers every year...those are original 6 teams we never see

I'm sure the Oilers don't mind going all the way there...they already go to Detroit and Columbus for games and are back playing at home in 2 days anyways

the schedule pre-2004 was awesome

The Last Dynasty is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
  #767
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would take 8.. divisional games are the balls.

Bruins and Islanders play tonight.. how much you want to be its a dull game?
and an Oilers-Bruins would be dull? what about Canucks-Bruins?

if anything, these teams don't know each others tendencies....which could make for an interesting game

The Last Dynasty is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
  #768
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
a lot of teams and fans wanna see the Bruins and the Rangers every year...those are original 6 teams we never see

I'm sure the Oilers don't mind going all the way there...they already go to Detroit and Columbus for games and are back playing at home in 2 days anyways

the schedule pre-2004 was awesome
Hones questions.. what excites you about seeing the Bruins.. their logo? Because there is little or no passion in these games.

I admit, I am probably in the minority. People in Boston loved to see Detroit, and I would sell my tickets for some times 8x face so people could see Detroit. But in the end, a Thursday night game vs. Ottawa was much more entertaining hockey. You have players who are familiar with each other, who dislike each other, and play with passion because of that.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
  #769
coolboarder
Registered User
 
coolboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
NHL standing could end up with a top ranked division winner Chicago playing lower ranked wildcard from pacific team such as L.A. while Pacific top seeded Vancouver plays the higher ranked wildcard from Nashville while the 2nd seeded and 3rd seeded divisional opponents get easier travel. This is a flawed format even 4 teams from each conference made it. If you apply this with 5 teams from a division and 3 other teams from other division then it would make sense. I would have the top seed division whose division of 3 teams made the playoffs makes the choice for the travel purpose, 1 v 3 or wildcard team.

I would rather Vancouver vs LA over Nashville or Chicago vs Nashville over LA if it ever happens

If LA wins its series against Chicago, then LA would still have to play against a central team such as St. Louis or Dallas for round 2.

IF Nashville wins its series against Vancouver then Nashville would play against a team from San Jose.

This causes too much travel for both teams. Again, this is a flawed playoff format.

coolboarder is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
  #770
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,741
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
and an Oilers-Bruins would be dull? what about Canucks-Bruins?

if anything, these teams don't know each others tendencies....which could make for an interesting game
Canucks vs, Bruins was entertaining because they played in the playoffs. Did you know they played against each other earlier that year? Probably not because it was rather mundane and forgettable.

And yes, as a Bruins STH. I would most likely not go into Boston to see the Oilers, or Islanders to be honest.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
  #771
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Hones questions.. what excites you about seeing the Bruins.. their logo? Because there is little or no passion in these games.

I admit, I am probably in the minority. People in Boston loved to see Detroit, and I would sell my tickets for some times 8x face so people could see Detroit. But in the end, a Thursday night game vs. Ottawa was much more entertaining hockey. You have players who are familiar with each other, who dislike each other, and play with passion because of that.
no, the unknown of how a big strong team fares against a small fast team

The Last Dynasty is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
  #772
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayton View Post
Anybody else want to note that those 7-team western divisions cannot (mathematically) each play 29 division games???
I was thinking the same thing, but hadn't tried to work it out, yet. 6 teams could play 29 games against each other. 7 teams cannot.

patnyrnyg is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
  #773
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Wrong, yes people pay to see the "Penguins" but they're also doing so because those same Penguins have Crosby and Malkin, same with Washington and Ovechkin.
Fans in any given market shouldn't be paying to see the other team or its stars, they should be paying to see their own teams! No matter who they are playing! And I believe that's how most fans think and act. Maybe just the ones inhabiting this board are different. I repeat, YET AGAIN, 95% of the arguments made throughout this thread are absurd!

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
  #774
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
so excited for Divisional playoffs, we didn't know what we had until it was gone.

now the Islanders may never make the playoffs in that Division, but the playoffs are going to be wars again, and familiarity will breed contempt.
agreed. Not sure if you are old enough to remember the Rangers-Flyers battles from 82-87 or the Caps-Isles, or all the Isles-Rangers series from 79-90.

patnyrnyg is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
  #775
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Canucks vs, Bruins was entertaining because they played in the playoffs. Did you know they played against each other earlier that year? Probably not because it was rather mundane and forgettable.

And yes, as a Bruins STH. I would most likely not go into Boston to see the Oilers, or Islanders to be honest.
So, basically, you're not going into Boston to see your own team play, which you have season tickets to. Okay, this thread has completely 'jumped the shark' now ...

Sunking278 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.