HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
  #801
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
In an idealistic world, yes. In the real world, no. I will watch every rangers game. But when I decide which games I am going to keep and which I am going to sell, opponent comes into play. I have sold to people who just want to go to a game, and do not care who they are playing. It has always been someone who is either bringing their kid to a game, and the kid is happy just to go to a game. Or, it is someone who only goes to 1-2 games per year.

Individual player? No. The guy who sits to my right used to keep the Cgy game to see Iginla and the Dallas game to see Modano. For me, that doesn't matter.
Agreed 100%

Never understood the mind set of wanting to see a star player.

Also, I couldn't give away Thrashers tickets for years but the same crappy team changes their jersey and moves to Winnipeg and boom.. they are going for 5x face on stub hub.

Morris Wanchuk is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
  #802
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
Well, the person I was responding to claimed to be a season-ticket holder, now didn't they?
Ok.. have you actually been to a Bruins Montreal game.. and have you been to a Tuesday night Minnesotta wild game?

I think even due to the vibrations, Hellen Keller could tell the Montreal game was more exciting.

Morris Wanchuk is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
  #803
Cynicaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
The other thing that bugs me is Tampa, Miami, Boston, Montreal, etc. being in the "Central" division. But Pittsburgh & Raleigh are in the "Atlantic" division...

They need to man up and separate Pitt and Philly.
Remember the last time we did that, under the guise of putting PIT with the then-closest team to it (BUF)? Everyone in Pittsburgh complained and the two were soon reunited. You don't think Mario remembers that debacle from his playing days?

People in PA are still bitter of the Phillies and Pirates being split apart...20 years ago.

Cynicaps is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
  #804
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma Publius View Post
You know, given how much the success of this league is gate-driven, I'm surprised your point isn't given more consideration with the schedule. Maybe TPTB think the new schedule matrix will actually increase attendance? If so, on what are they basing their assumption, I wonder?
True, but it considered in price. I know the Isles charge a different price for their games against the Rangers, as do the Devils. Devils use a tier-system and the Rangers games are always in the top-tier of pricing. Highest prices, and they still sell out. Guess there is something to the opponent. Although, the Devils this year have done very well with attendance. Hope it keeps up, because at this point I find the attendance jokes Rangers fans make to be very annoying.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
  #805
coolboarder
Registered User
 
coolboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
I don't like the NHL proposal scheduling matrix. The pacific teams still get its worse schedule and yet travel to the CTZ teams once or twice a year based on a rotation basis yearly. If the playoffs includes a divisional playoff format with the wildcard then it is flawed no matter what because the wildcard teams could cross over, including both divisions, therefore both of the divisional top seeded teams in the west get screwed in term of travel for the first round. They only get lucky if wildcard team happens to fall in right spot. The wild card format might work for the east because of the easier travel.

Either, get it balanced schedule, 4 conference plan or nix it.

coolboarder is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
  #806
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
so there will only be 4 teams per conference making it into the playoffs? They'll be over within a month of starting! I don't like that!!

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
  #807
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,132
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
so there will only be 4 teams per conference making it into the playoffs? They'll be over within a month of starting! I don't like that!!
No...the plan calls for two conferences with two divisions in each conference. 8 teams per conference, just like now.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
  #808
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Agreed 100%

Never understood the mind set of wanting to see a star player.

Also, I couldn't give away Thrashers tickets for years but the same crappy team changes their jersey and moves to Winnipeg and boom.. they are going for 5x face on stub hub.
Well, i think part of that has been the bruins. Their tickets have been weird. First time I went in 2007, I got tickets for less than face on stubhub. 2nd time was 2009 and got tickets on ticketdisaster for face, but much more than the previous time. When I went in 2010, paid about $30-40 over face for the uppers. Seems like demand for Bruins tickets has just increased.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:31 PM
  #809
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Ok.. have you actually been to a Bruins Montreal game.. and have you been to a Tuesday night Minnesotta wild game?

I think even due to the vibrations, Hellen Keller could tell the Montreal game was more exciting.
If both Montreal & Boston are in contention, sure. That doesn't mean the Minnesota game is worthless.

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
  #810
coolboarder
Registered User
 
coolboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
On a second thought, I can see the western teams vote no with the scheduling matrix and the playoff format that it will screw them over but approve the realignment but vote no on the scheduling matrix and the playoff format for the western conference. They might vote yes if no wildcard is presented for the west and fix the scheduling matrix once for all.

coolboarder is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #811
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
There are regular season games I have attended that I will tell my grandchildren about.. not a single one was vs. a western conference team.
The only Western conference game I can remember attending that was really exciting was Messier Night against Edmonton. Something like 5-4, with Jagr winning on a sick shot in OT. Richter night was against Minnesota. They knew that was the way to generate some excitement for those games that nobody would otherwise care about.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #812
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
True, but it considered in price. I know the Isles charge a different price for their games against the Rangers, as do the Devils. Devils use a tier-system and the Rangers games are always in the top-tier of pricing. Highest prices, and they still sell out. Guess there is something to the opponent. Although, the Devils this year have done very well with attendance. Hope it keeps up, because at this point I find the attendance jokes Rangers fans make to be very annoying.
Another reason these regional 'rivalries' are vastly overrated: Some two-bit franchise like the Isles can get away with pulling scams like this.

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:35 PM
  #813
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
If both Montreal & Boston are in contention, sure. That doesn't mean the Minnesota game is worthless.
But you would feel you got a better game for your money with the Montreal game than the Minnesota game. Part of it is because the home team doesn't feel like losing to the West team is as big of a deal. Losing a division game at home flat out sucks.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
  #814
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
Another reason these regional 'rivalries' are vastly overrated: Some two-bit franchise like the Isles can get away with pulling scams like this.
That makes it overrated? It would be overrated if it didn't work. If fans saw the higher price and refused to buy the tickets, then I would say the rivalry is overrated. But, the tickets still sell.

A friend of mine used to live in Stoneham, you could be at MSG in 4 1/2 hours and Nassau Coliseum in ~5. Go to a few Rangers-Isles games and tell me it is overrated.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
  #815
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
so there will only be 4 teams per conference making it into the playoffs? They'll be over within a month of starting! I don't like that!!
As MuckOG said, 4 divisions, Atlantic, Central, Mid-West and Pacific -Atlantic and Central in "East" conference, Mid-West and Pacific in "West", in each division top 3 teams make it, with 4th and 5th best points "wildcards, which could lead to CFL style crossover in conference (IE say 5th best team in Atlantic has more points than 4th place team in Central, 5th would crossover- but only WITHIN conference-you won't see Florida play Vancouver in first or 2nd round)

Tinalera is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
  #816
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
But you would feel you got a better game for your money with the Montreal game than the Minnesota game. Part of it is because the home team doesn't feel like losing to the West team is as big of a deal. Losing a division game at home flat out sucks.
If any team doesn't feeling like losing to any other team is that big a deal, they're in the wrong business.

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
  #817
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
No...the plan calls for two conferences with two divisions in each conference. 8 teams per conference, just like now.
As western Conference fan, and a Minnesota fan, what woul you think of a Regular Season schedule matrix like this, whic I posted back at post #764?

The Regular Season schedule should be something like this:
Western Conference
Div
6 x 3 = 18
4 x 3 = 12
Conf
4 x 7 = 28
Other Conf
2 x 8 = 16
1 x 8 = 8

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
  #818
Entwine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
No wonder Detroit is moving east with the play off system/scheduling matrix they've come up with.

Entwine is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
  #819
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
If any team doesn't feeling like losing to any other team is that big a deal, they're in the wrong business.
That is not the point, but whatever. You are completely wrong on this argument, but feel free to believe what you want. I am done discussing it with you. Btw, next year, want to buy my Rangers-Coyotes tickets?

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
  #820
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
If any team doesn't feeling like losing to any other team is that big a deal, they're in the wrong business.
Then why do teams typically open it up during overtime vs a western team because they know that if they loose, it won't matter because they already have a point?

Where as vs the division they want to make sure the other team does not score because they don't want them getting the extra point.

Morris Wanchuk is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
  #821
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
That makes it overrated? It would be overrated if it didn't work. If fans saw the higher price and refused to buy the tickets, then I would say the rivalry is overrated. But, the tickets still sell.

A friend of mine used to live in Stoneham, you could be at MSG in 4 1/2 hours and Nassau Coliseum in ~5. Go to a few Rangers-Isles games and tell me it is overrated.
Great atmosphere for those games, no doubt, but nothing involving the Islanders can be rated too, too highly these days.

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
  #822
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
That is not the point, but whatever. You are completely wrong on this argument, but feel free to believe what you want. I am done discussing it with you. Btw, next year, want to buy my Rangers-Coyotes tickets?
Coyotes tickets are always a hot commodity

Morris Wanchuk is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
  #823
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
Great atmosphere for those games, no doubt, but nothing involving the Islanders can be rated too, too highly these days.
A HUGE part of the game is the atmosphere.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
  #824
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
That is not the point, but whatever. You are completely wrong on this argument, but feel free to believe what you want. I am done discussing it with you. Btw, next year, want to buy my Rangers-Coyotes tickets?
If I were in New York, and had the money to spear, I would, yes!

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 03:56 PM
  #825
SouthJerseyRanger
Registered User
 
SouthJerseyRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 500
This is stupid. There's the same problem with uneven chances for teams making the playoffs depending on conference. I really wish they would just

CLB ==> SE
DAL ==> CEN
WIN ==> NW
VAN ==> PAC

for a couple years until they figure out who is relocating where and if they want to expand.

At the very least put Columbus back in the West.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.