HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
cheesedanish87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
There are times this year we've looked like a 9th place team. Even good teams slump and get down on themselves. Won't take much for them to turn it around and even supposing they only turn it around at the last minute and finish 7th or 8th... there's still decent odds we meet them in teh first round. ANd they sure don't look like a 9th place team when they play us. Also Fartsmell has returned to their lineup after being out a while so that makes a big difference. He's part of what drives their offense.

Don't make the mistake of thinking they're not a problem later just because they suck right now.
No way are they a playoff team. Just do the math they would have to go something like 18-8-1 to make the playoffs. Bryz has actually played good for them in till the last few games.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
He's going to have to get some serious time next to 87 or 71 between now and the deadline.
Or just be better than the other options. Not hard considering his competition.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
No way are they a playoff team. Just do the math they would have to go something like 18-8-1 to make the playoffs. Bryz has actually played good for them in till the last few games.
Like we haven't seen them squeak in before.

We've seen that team blow themselves up and turn a season around. You make it seem like that could never happen that they couldn't go 18-8-1.

A #1 D-man and Iginla and that team is rocking. We make fun of Bryzgalov, but if you put capable players in front of him and all a sudden he's not a liability anymore. He only needs to keep it to 2/3 and under.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
He's going to have to get some serious time next to 87 or 71 between now and the deadline.
He's also gonna have to do a lot more of the same with a bit more production. Just because he's looking good doesn't always translate into staying here. The Pens don't need just ok, he needs to be lights out the rest of the way. I don't mind if Bennett gets sent down because we know he's on the up. The playoffs are gonna be some other animal for, Beau. I'd much rather spot him in than expose him full tilt until he can show he's not gonna break down under the pressure at first.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Like we haven't seen them squeak in before.

We've seen that team blow themselves up and turn a season around. You make it seem like that could never happen that they couldn't go 18-8-1.

A #1 D-man and Iginla and that team is rocking. We make fun of Bryzgalov, but if you put capable players in front of him and all a sudden he's not a liability anymore. He only needs to keep it to 2/3 and under.
Obv anything can happen but I think its very unlikely. They have already played most of their games against the southeast division. Look at their schedule in March its really hard. They got 9 games left against NYR NJ BOS those teams own the flyers. I agree with somebody who posted earlier I'd like to see them add vets and trade their young players like Couturier or Schenn. They have our number and i think that makes people think their a good team but I really think their just not a good team.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis looked as good as many of us hoped in the shifts they got together last game. That needs to be our checking line come postseason.

I think Bennett stays up here unless we make a move for two wingers.
Couldn't agree more. BB needs to play with Sid or Geno (when he gets back) as much as possible to get ready for the postseason. Hopefully we can add a physical top 6 so then we can move Dupuis to the 3rd line. I think that's a pretty perfect 3rd line.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
He's also gonna have to do a lot more of the same with a bit more production. Just because he's looking good doesn't always translate into staying here. The Pens don't need just ok, he needs to be lights out the rest of the way. I don't mind if Bennett gets sent down because we know he's on the up. The playoffs are gonna be some other animal for, Beau. I'd much rather spot him in than expose him full tilt until he can show he's not gonna break down under the pressure at first.
Agreed - we can't afford a passenger (Tangradi, Boychuk to a lesser extent) next to 87 or 71. Not saying that Bennett is one but he'll have to prove that he's not. And I think Shero feels similar.

FYI I think Dupuis is more than a passenger in the top 6 at this point. Not ideal but he contributes.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Jaded-Fan

The Flyers definitely are a playoff caliber team. I am not sure that they are enough of one to dig themselves out of the hole that they have dug though. Yes, they are basically tied for the 8th playoff spot with almost half the season gone. But the 7th spot is held by Toronto who has 5 more points that they do. The Rangers are in even worse shape. Honestly I do not see any of those teams going on a tear enough to reach the 7th spot with only 27 games remaining. Basically the Rangers, Flyers and TB will be playing musical chairs over that last spot. Which to be honest makes me very happy because none of those teams will be getting a top draft pick absent a huge amount of luck, but still will miss the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
FYI I think Dupuis is more than a passenger in the top 6 at this point. Not ideal but he contributes.
Yea, I don't want to turn this into a bash dupuis thing. Duper has been our most consistent top-6 winger this year. I think he's a fine top-6 guy. But I think he's a 3rd-line player on a cup-winning team.

and the Flyers just acquired Gange.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Flat Stanley

Son of a *****, guess he was only available to the Flyers with that return. LA and Philly love affair.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Son of a *****, guess he was only available to the Flyers with that return. LA and Philly love affair.
Was he really the answer though? I would rather keep playing Bennett. Or look elsewhere. The player no longer resembles the name in any way. For that price, why not? But it was no great loss missing out on him.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
mpp9

Gagne's very close to done.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Was he really the answer though? I would rather keep playing Bennett. Or look elsewhere. The player no longer resembles the name in any way. For that price, why not? But it was no great loss missing out on him.
Maybe not, but he's still a skilled top 6 winger that was traded for the same return as Mark Letestu.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BrookswasHere44

A 4th for Gagne....I gotta say I'm pretty bummed..ida traded Kennedy and the 4th all day long

Old
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Maybe not, but he's still a skilled top 6 winger that was traded for the same return as Mark Letestu.
He's not a top 6 winger anymore.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
after 21 games in 95, the new jersey devils were 8-9-4. that team had a couple win streaks after that and ended up winning the cup. anything is possible.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
deakka

How come the freaking flyers, who btw already has better forwards than us, find gems for a 4th rounder and we still havent adressed our winger situation?

Old
02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
How come the freaking flyers, who btw already has better forwards than us, find gems for a 4th rounder and we still havent adressed our winger situation?
Let's wait at least 15 minutes before we declare Gagne a gem...

and I don't think Shero is shopping in the bargain bin for what he wants this year...

Old
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
The dude is nearly done. He is certainly not a "gem".

Old
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Kings clearing cap space I guess, and Gagne is comfortable in Philly so they shipped him there. Gagne is not any kind of long term answer to our winger problem and maybe not even a short term one so I'm not mad about missing out on him. I wish he had cost the Flyers a bit more though.

Old
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

and I don't think Shero is shopping in the bargain bin for what he wants this year...
Haven't really seen the Kings play this year, but 11gp 0g 5a certainly doesn't scream GEM at the moment. Lets give it at least 30 minutes

Old
02-26-2013, 03:35 PM
stefanh

The condition was a third round pick if they make the playoffs and a fourth rounder if they don't.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Comparing him to Setoguchi (who is a hot topic around here) i dont see much of a difference. Gagnes stats are better. Seto had 1 good year 4 seasons ago, but then again, Gagne outscored him that season as well.

Names that gets thrown around are bouchard, cullen, and seto. Dont see any of them as much better than gagne, and they wont come for a 4th rounder either

Old
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Well, I nailed down his value at least. Gagne is nothing more than a role player made out of porcelain at this stage, but I still hate to see Flyers fans happy so I hate that trade...

The most I would have paid for Gagne was the same package that Guerin got...Gagne got potentially the same but on easier conditions - Guerin was a conditional 5th that moved to a 4th if we made the playoffs and a 3rd if we won a round.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Comparing him to Setoguchi (who is a hot topic around here) i dont see much of a difference. Gagnes stats are better. Seto had 1 good year 4 seasons ago, but then again, Gagne outscored him that season as well.

Names that gets thrown around are bouchard, cullen, and seto. Dont see any of them as much better than gagne, and they wont come for a 4th rounder either
Gagne got 7 goals in 45 games over the last two seasons. Setoguchi 22 in 86 games. I wouldn't want either of them.

Closed Thread