HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

HNIC shows new potential alignment with 16 teams in "east" groupings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
  #826
JacketsWatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch) @Aportzline

"Told realignment approval won't have to wait for next Board of Governors meeting. Once/if NHLPA approves, vote could be taken via fax."

JacketsWatcher is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
  #827
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,844
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsWatcher View Post
Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch) @Aportzline

"Told realignment approval won't have to wait for next Board of Governors meeting. Once/if NHLPA approves, vote could be taken via fax."
Fax!

Wow, so much technology

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
  #828
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Fax!

Wow, so much technology
I guess the league still thinks its 1995

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
  #829
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,506
vCash: 500
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...n.html?cmp=rss
Freidman goes through "latest" alignment plan.

Two conferences, each with two divisions.

Playing matrix:
Quote:
For the sevens (Midwest and Pacific) it looks like this:

32 games vs. Eastern Conference (one home, one away vs. each opponent).
21 games vs. other division in Western Conference (teams with the extra home game will be rotated every season).
29 games vs. own division (you will play one team four times instead of five).

For the eights (Atlantic and Central), it looks like this:

28 games vs. Western Conference (one home, one away).
24 games vs. other division in Eastern Conference (teams with the extra home game will be rotated every season).
30 games vs. own division (you'll play two teams five times, and five teams four times).
One question -- will the Canadian teams be forced to play each other five times because of Canadian broadcast pressure, or will it be spread around?

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
  #830
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan
 
QcBlizzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saguenay, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsWatcher View Post
Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch) @Aportzline

"Told realignment approval won't have to wait for next Board of Governors meeting. Once/if NHLPA approves, vote could be taken via fax."
Micheal Hulsizer could vote!

QcBlizzard is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
  #831
Sunking278
Registered User
 
Sunking278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Then why do teams typically open it up during overtime vs a western team because they know that if they loose, it won't matter because they already have a point?

Where as vs the division they want to make sure the other team does not score because they don't want them getting the extra point.
That loser point needs to be tossed in the ashbin of history, I'll grant that much. Still, any team that doesn't play to win in any given game is a disgrace.

Sunking278 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
  #832
QuizGuy66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
For the sevens (Midwest and Pacific) it looks like this:

32 games vs. Eastern Conference (one home, one away vs. each opponent).
21 games vs. other division in Western Conference (teams with the extra home game will be rotated every season).
29 games vs. own division (you will play one team four times instead of five).

For the eights (Atlantic and Central), it looks like this:

28 games vs. Western Conference (one home, one away).
24 games vs. other division in Eastern Conference (teams with the extra home game will be rotated every season).
30 games vs. own division (you'll play two teams five times, and five teams four times). The playing matrix is impossible by the way.
The 7-team divisions can't have each team playing exactly 29 division games. 7 times 29 = 203. Somebody at the NHL failed basic math.

My guess is they go to 30 divisional games in the western conference divisions (play each team 5 times) and then play 6 of the teams in the other division 3 times each and play 1 of the teams in the other division 2 times (a total of 20 games).

-QG

QuizGuy66 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
  #833
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsWatcher View Post
Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch) @Aportzline

"Told realignment approval won't have to wait for next Board of Governors meeting. Once/if NHLPA approves, vote could be taken via fax."
What the hell is a fax?

The NHL lets me watch 4 games at the same time on Gamecenter Live, yet they can't hold a 5 minute conference call with all the teams to say "Yes" or "No"

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
  #834
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
Still, any team that doesn't play to win in any given game is a disgrace.
That is not what anyone is saying. The point is losing to an out-of-conference team is not as bad as losing to a division opponent. Not sure why that is difficult for you to comprehend. So, with that in mind, if the Rangers lose to Anaheim, I am not AS ANNOYED as when they lose to the Penguins.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:50 PM
  #835
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuizGuy66 View Post
The 7-team divisions can't have each team playing exactly 29 division games. 7 times 29 = 203. Somebody at the NHL failed basic math.

My guess is they go to 30 divisional games in the western conference divisions (play each team 5 times) and then play 6 of the teams in the other division 3 times each and play 1 of the teams in the other division 2 times (a total of 20 games).

-QG
Yeah it can't work. Basically, play each team 5 times except for one you will only play four.

So, let's look at the Central. St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado, Nashville.

Let's say St. Louis and Chicago only play 4 times. Fine.
Minnesota and Dallas only play 4 times. Fine.
Winnipeg and Colorado only play 4 times, Fine.
Well, that means all 6 of those teams are playing Nashville 5 times, so Nashville is playing 30 games in the division.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
  #836
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 678
vCash: 500
Interesting alignment. Too bad it breaks up the Chicago-Detroit rivalry but it was bound to happen.

One thing that seems rather curious (but nothing new) is Florida & Tampa Bay in the Central Division while Columbus is in the Atlantic. Would it be better to switch Fla/TB with CBJ & Carolina? Then Columbus would be with the other teams that are closer like Detroit, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh, but I guess Carolina would be the odd duck.

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM
  #837
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 500
well essentially (and what most people forget) is that though divisions seem useless for standings, their actual use is to both create a balanced schedule, as well as create/maintain rivalries...

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
  #838
tsanuri
Registered User
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
What the hell is a fax?

The NHL lets me watch 4 games at the same time on Gamecenter Live, yet they can't hold a 5 minute conference call with all the teams to say "Yes" or "No"
It's all about the legal aspect of it. With a fax having a signature on it can be used as a binding document without question. They don't want any funny stuff being done.

tsanuri is online now  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
  #839
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Interesting alignment. Too bad it breaks up the Chicago-Detroit rivalry but it was bound to happen.

One thing that seems rather curious (but nothing new) is Florida & Tampa Bay in the Central Division while Columbus is in the Atlantic. Would it be better to switch Fla/TB with CBJ & Carolina? Then Columbus would be with the other teams that are closer like Detroit, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh, but I guess Carolina would be the odd duck.
The league wants the Florida teams with the Canadian teams because of Canadian Snowbird fans who live in Florida in the winter.

ChompChomp is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
  #840
Material Defender
Registered User
 
Material Defender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
The league-wide memo indicates the NHL and the NHLPA will meet after the 2015-16 season to see if this is working, "or earlier if circumstances warrant." So there's your "out" for expansion or relocation, should one (or both) of those possibilities exist.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ment-plan.html

Material Defender is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
  #841
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
The league-wide memo indicates the NHL and the NHLPA will meet after the 2015-16 season to see if this is working, "or earlier if circumstances warrant." So there's your "out" for expansion or relocation, should one (or both) of those possibilities exist.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ment-plan.html
So, if Phoenix implodes over the summer and they bolt to Quebec City, they would basically be stuck in the Pacific for 3 seasons? If they go to Seattle, it is obviously easier, but if there is no arena or no buyer for seattle it can't happen.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  #842
zombi
I D D Q D
 
zombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
So, if Phoenix implodes over the summer and they bolt to Quebec City, they would basically be stuck in the Pacific for 3 seasons? If they go to Seattle, it is obviously easier, but if there is no arena or no buyer for seattle it can't happen.
The league-wide memo indicates the NHL and the NHLPA will meet after the 2015-16 season to see if this is working, "or earlier if circumstances warrant." So there's your "out" for expansion or relocation, should one (or both) of those possibilities exist.

zombi is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
  #843
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
The league-wide memo indicates the NHL and the NHLPA will meet after the 2015-16 season to see if this is working, "or earlier if circumstances warrant." So there's your "out" for expansion or relocation, should one (or both) of those possibilities exist.
oops, sorry. Thanks, missed that part.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
  #844
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
That loser point needs to be tossed in the ashbin of history, I'll grant that much. Still, any team that doesn't play to win in any given game is a disgrace.
It's not a loser point. It's a point for tying the real hockey game. If anything, it's the point that teams get for winning the gimmick that sucks, but non-hard core fans generally love the 4 on 4/shootout, so it is going to stay.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
  #845
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
It's all about the legal aspect of it. With a fax having a signature on it can be used as a binding document without question. They don't want any funny stuff being done.
Yup. E-signature laws haven't kept up with technology, so a real document with a real signature is probably required.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  #846
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
Probably a waste of time to even discuss what came out of Lebrun's article today. Only the NHL is dumb enough to propose a schedule matrix that is mathematically impossible. So stupid. I guess one of the requirements to work in their office is to be mathematically challenged.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:34 PM
  #847
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Probably a waste of time to even discuss what came out of Lebrun's article today. Only the NHL is dumb enough to propose a schedule matrix that is mathematically impossible. So stupid. I guess one of the requirements to work in their office is to be mathematically challenged.
East is fine.

1 plays 8 and 2
2 plays 1 and 3
3 plays 2 and 4
4 plays 3 and 5
5 plays 4 and 6
6 plays 5 and 7
7 plays 6 and 8
8 plays 7 and 1

West is impossible, though. It will probably get changed to 20/30 split, so 5 times in division, and only 2 against one team in the other West division.

MountainHawk is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
  #848
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,229
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
They made it a little better.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
  #849
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
Let's see now. PA was against 4-conference setup because some teams had 4/7 chance to make playoffs and some 4/8. Now, we propose a system where the West has a 8/14 and the East a 8/16. And, the League thinks the PA will sign off on this?

Someone is not thinking ahead, and not using the information at hand.

If they go to a 2-conf, 4-div setup, with Top 3 in each Div, + 2 extras, and the PA is consistent in their thinking, then they have to go to a 15/15 alignment.

That's not my thought. That's just going by what the PA said before.

MNNumbers is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
  #850
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
Let's see now. PA was against 4-conference setup because some teams had 4/7 chance to make playoffs and some 4/8. Now, we propose a system where the West has a 8/14 and the East a 8/16. And, the League thinks the PA will sign off on this?

Someone is not thinking ahead, and not using the information at hand.

If they go to a 2-conf, 4-div setup, with Top 3 in each Div, + 2 extras, and the PA is consistent in their thinking, then they have to go to a 15/15 alignment.

That's not my thought. That's just going by what the PA said before.
I still say the PA will be fine with it now, because the 14 is the West, and therefore there is a tradeoff between lower travel and fewer teams.

MountainHawk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.