HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 07:51 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I need something to watch.

I caught up on Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, watched every Malcolm in the Middle, what are good shows that I'm missing?
Two and a Half Men is a waste of time. You might laugh but 90% of the jokes are softball setups that don't really have any creativity or cleverness. Just my opinion, but I think it's a pretty dumb show.

The Wire is often recognized as the best drama show ever and I can't suggest it enough. On top of being great drama with a ton of strong characters, it is also fantastic social commentary that touches on the dysfunction of American institutions.

Firefly is a short series (1 season and a movie) that has great characters and better writing. It's set in a sci-fi universe but it's not over the top with aliens, blasters, lasers, and other sci-fi fallbacks. The thing that's great about the show is that the sci-fi elements are simply elements of an otherwise very human set of stories.

Game of Thrones is fantastic. Great writing, great actors (even great child actors), great production value, great pacing, and some of the most incredible scenes I've ever seen on television or film. Similar to Firefly, GoT tells very human stories within a fictional universe.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime pieces that I appreciate. It has incredible style and fantastic characters. It's an episodic show - each episode tells a different story that allows the characters to develop naturally rather than within the forced context of a season long plot. There is still an overarching storyline, but it's not the type of "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z" type of story.

Arrested Development is just hilarious, and it's coming back on Netflix later this year. If you like oddball humor, this is for you.

Parks and Recreation is one of the funniest shows on TV right now. The first season (only like 6 episodes or so) is actually pretty bad, but they changed up the whole feel of the show starting with season 2 and have been on a roll ever since.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Please allow me to introduce myself:

Can't stop listening to it.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Can't friggin wait!

Looks really good.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Don`t tell me this wasn`t one of the best Oscar shows.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Firefly is a short series (1 season and a movie) that has great characters and better writing. It's set in a sci-fi universe but it's not over the top with aliens, blasters, lasers, and other sci-fi fallbacks. The thing that's great about the show is that the sci-fi elements are simply elements of an otherwise very human set of stories.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime pieces that I appreciate. It has incredible style and fantastic characters. It's an episodic show - each episode tells a different story that allows the characters to develop naturally rather than within the forced context of a season long plot. There is still an overarching storyline, but it's not the type of "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z" type of story.
Seen the Firefly movie, which I thought was surprisingly good. Had no idea at the time that there was a series before it and it was actually made by Wheadon (spelling?). It's on my list, haven't been able to watch it quite yet but will definitely do so when I have the time. Only heard good things about it.

Finally started watching Cowboy Bebop, been meaning to for a while now after I saw Spirited Away and some of Miyazaki's other movies. Fantastic so far and I agree with everything you said about the series. The soundtrack is a huge plus too!

Old
02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

I bought season 1 of Battlestar Galactica on blu ray, only watched 4 episodes but I think I've found my new series to watch until Game of Thrones

Old
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Can`t wait. haha

Old
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
I bought season 1 of Battlestar Galactica on blu ray, only watched 4 episodes but I think I've found my new series to watch until Game of Thrones
Good choice! Excellent series and one of my favourites. Make sure you watch The Mini-series before season 1 though. Not entirely necessary but I think it's worth watching. It's basically a movie split up in two episodes.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
FirmestPiano

An explosion? In a Michael Bay movie?

Old
02-26-2013, 06:11 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Seen the Firefly movie, which I thought was surprisingly good. Had no idea at the time that there was a series before it and it was actually made by Wheadon (spelling?). It's on my list, haven't been able to watch it quite yet but will definitely do so when I have the time. Only heard good things about it.

Finally started watching Cowboy Bebop, been meaning to for a while now after I saw Spirited Away and some of Miyazaki's other movies. Fantastic so far and I agree with everything you said about the series. The soundtrack is a huge plus too!
Serenity (the Firefly movie) was very good. I've heard a few similar opinions about seeing it before watching the TV series, and I think Whedon did a great job defining the characters for an unfamiliar audience. And for people who are fans of the show, it didn't feel like the characters were dumbed down or simplified to attract non-fans. I first watched Firefly about two months ago, and immediately watched Serenity afterwards. I didn't expect a sci-fi movie to be "worthy" of the TV series, but it completely shattered my expectations.

And I totally agree about Bebop's soundtrack. I have every release of the soundtracks from that show...

Official:
"Cowboy Bebop" (OST 1)
"Cowboy Bebop Vitaminless" (mini-album that features "The Real Folk Blues")
"Cowboy Bebop No Disc" (OST 2)
"Cowboy Bebop Blue" OST 3 (my favorite)
"Cowboy Bebop Future Blues" Movie OST
"Cowboy Bebop Ask DNA" (maxi-single that accompanied Future Blues)
"Cowgirl Ed" (mini-CD that came with the first pressing of Future Blues)
"Tank! The! Best!" (includes a few new songs that were recorded for the Bebop video game)
"Cowboy Bebop Remixes - Music For Freelance" (remixed w/ a "pirate radio" theme)
"Cowboy Bebop Boxed Set" (4 discs. The first 3 discs are the show's songs mixed in with a ton of short pieces of dialogue. The 4th is a great live set of The Seatbelts, Yoko Kanno, Steve Conte, and Mai Yamane.)

Unofficial:
Musical Schizophrenia Presents "Brain Scratch: The Cowboy Bebop Beattape"

I can't think of any show or movie that has better music, aside from "Amadeus." Unfortunately, all of that is only in digital form.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
It's fantastic out of the gate for sure but slowly morphs from that sic-fi battle plot to more of a traditional soap opera set in space. It doesn't lose it's total value but some episodes it feels like all you watched was relationship dialogue and robot psychology sessions.

But enjoy season 1, it's season 2 and 3 that goes flat.

And like piano said, the 2 part miniseries pilot that came first is probably the best of all and a must watch.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.

Last edited by Richer's Ghost: 02-26-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Zippy316

The new Jeselnik show after Tosh.0 was actually pretty funny.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Free fallin'

Old
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Good choice! Excellent series and one of my favourites. Make sure you watch The Mini-series before season 1 though. Not entirely necessary but I think it's worth watching. It's basically a movie split up in two episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
It's fantastic out of the gate for sure but slowly morphs from that sic-fi battle plot to more of a traditional soap opera set in space. It doesn't lose it's total value but some episodes it feels like all you watched was relationship dialogue and robot psychology sessions.

But enjoy season 1, it's season 2 and 3 that goes flat.

And like piano said, the 2 part miniseries pilot that came first is probably the best of all and a must watch.
I didn't even know there was a mini series lol, I'll check it out

Old
02-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Semak

Quote:
Quote:
Great show. Almost done re-watching it. BSG: Razor is the mini-series that you should watched between seasons 3 and 4. I have my issues here and there with it but overall a very solid show.

Anyone watch BSG: Blood and Chrome yet? Developed as a pre-equal but got demoted to webisodes and then released as a DVD flick.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
Great show. Almost done re-watching it. BSG: Razor is the mini-series that you should watched between seasons 3 and 4. I have my issues here and there with it but overall a very solid show.

Anyone watch BSG: Blood and Chrome yet? Developed as a pre-equal but got demoted to webisodes and then released as a DVD flick.
As RG said season 1 is the best of the bunch but season 2 and 3 are pretty good too. It's when they get to season 4 everything turns into one hell of a mess. Still watchable though and the minimovies are worth seeing as well.

Yeah I saw the webisodes every week when they were released. Thought it was interesting as a prequel but there wasn't much too it really. A little added bonus for BSG fans.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
As RG said season 1 is the best of the bunch but season 2 and 3 are pretty good too. It's when they get to season 4 everything turns into one hell of a mess. Still watchable though and the minimovies are worth seeing as well.

Yeah I saw the webisodes every week when they were released. Thought it was interesting as a prequel but there wasn't much too it really. A little added bonus for BSG fans.
I never finished season 4. Lost interest and have meant to go back and finish it but would rather watch the pilot multipart movie again.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post

I liked Blood and Chrome, I'll watch more of it if they make it. It did end up airing on SyFy earlier this month, so it may be on demand, I don't know.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batt...-movie-on-hold

Someone only recently pointed out to me that Bryan Singer wants to make a BSG film. It's on hold while he does all the Xmen stuff, but that's probably not a bad thing, let some more time pass before coming out with more BSG stuff. Whenever something is put on hold there is always a good chance it never happens, of course.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
I never finished season 4. Lost interest and have meant to go back and finish it but would rather watch the pilot multipart movie again.
I'd say it's worth enduring it even though season 4 isn't that great, somehow they managed to salvage it towards the end. The multipart movie really sets the tone for the series and is a great introduction, I'll probably have to see it again some time.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Semak

Quote:
Quote:
I'd say it's worth enduring it even though season 4 isn't that great, somehow they managed to salvage it towards the end. The multipart movie really sets the tone for the series and is a great introduction, I'll probably have to see it again some time.
Season 4 is the reason I'm re-watching. Wanted to see if my perspective would change with a second viewing.

I watched BSG: Blood and Chrome yesterday and enjoyed. I hope they bring it back and make it a series. I think it has more potential than Caprica.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Tom Petty coming to NYC in May.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
You may have already watched them.

Quote:
DON'T BUY the mini series DVD if you are also planning on buying the season 1 DVD set. I made that mistake and wasted $$$. The mini series is the first DVD in the Season 1 set.

Old
03-01-2013, 04:03 PM
FirmestPiano

Finished Cowboy Bebop. Loved every minute of it. Great character development, some excellent story telling, awesome environments and a pretty ****ing good soundtrack. Loved the personalties of Faye and Edward. Will watch again, that's for certain, will probably end up getting the DVD ( blu ray? read something about their being one out in Japan already). Whichever one is best. Last couple of episodes were just, WOW. Ending was kind of expected though.

Anyone got any other suggestions for other great anime, wether it be series or movies? Heard some good things about Ghost in the Shell and Akira.

Started watching Firefly today as well. As good as advertised so far is all I can say. Which is pretty damn good.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Nick0930

Oh **** yes! Whose Line is it Anyway is coming back this summer with Brady, Stiles and Mochrie! Drew Carey won't be part of it (Though I could see him as one of the special guests) and Lana from Archer will be the host. Can't freaking wait!

Old
03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
njdevil26

I just randomly started watching the wire. I finished season 1 yesterday and I can say that was maybe the best season of a TV show I've ever seen.

Closed Thread