HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Anth93

vCash: 500
What do you guys think of Leivo? Legitimate NHL upside?

Old
02-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
What do you guys think of Leivo? Legitimate NHL upside?
For my money, the best Ranger right now. Good size, uses his body effectively to protect the puck. Absolutely sick hands. He defines the old saying "can stickhandle in a phone booth."

Most impressive for me are the subtle plays he makes to set up teammates. He is always hounding opponents and stealing pucks and putting it right on the tape of a teammate in scoring position. He's a hard worker.

It looks to me like his shot is decent, but he could improve it. His release time can be a bit slow. If he had a Puempel type shot or release, he'd be a deadly prospect.

But yes, I think he has legit NHL upside. He'll need a year or two in the AHL to adapt to bigger bodies though. In the OHL he's big enough to ward off most checkers and he can dipsy-doodle without getting hammered. Once he figures that out at the pro level, I think he'll be able to contribute.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
This is why Spott picked up Carrado. In case Murphy made the Canes. Doubt he will be there long but who knows.
The Canes can only keep him until one of their d-men recovers (the sooner, the better), but Murphy didn't look out of place last night. He made a few nice simple plays and outlet passes that led to shots on goal.

He also had the second most ice time of any Cane, which is incredible to me. So much for the idea that we'll get back a well-rested Murphy if that continues.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
bobber

Kitchener Post article says Rieder was okay for practice Thursday but had not been cleared to play at that time. Could change today maybe. Faksa is doing light skating and will not play until 100 percent. Different than what Brown reported in the Record. Gibby is still behind Faksa in progress but skating.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Kitchener Post article says Rieder was okay for practice Thursday but had not been cleared to play at that time. Could change today maybe. Faksa is doing light skating and will not play until 100 percent. Different than what Brown reported in the Record. Gibby is still behind Faksa in progress but skating.
Kitchner Post being a weekly paper may have talked to the Rangers this past Monday. Brown could be more up to date than the Post.

^^ just my guess

Old
02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
bobber

Rieder is a go tonight according to Fixter.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
bobber

[QUOTE=Ward Cornell;60247091]Kitchner Post being a weekly paper may have talked to the Rangers this past Monday. Brown could be more up to date than the Post.

^^ just my guess[/QUOTE

The Post comes with Friday's Record. Brown probably writes both columns. Don't know as there is no signature attached to the article. Pretty sure they were referring to yesterday. Its a good article every week though.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Watched first two periods and part of the third of Murphy's game last night and he looked great, a little timid but if he needed to I'm sure he could have played in the NHL this season.

Hopefully he comes back excited and goes on a scoring tear.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:58 AM
bobber

When you look at the OHL stat sheets the Rangers have one player on the first page, Lievo. After that its a stretch before you start to see Ranger players again and the first two are D men. The Rangers have had a problem scoring from the beginning of training camp on. Even now with the new guys on this squad they still fail to put enough pucks behind opposing goalies to win games consistently. The PP sucks big time especially at home where it operates at 15%. Instead of looking under the bus Spott should be looking in the mirror.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Instead of looking under the bus Spott should be looking in the mirror.
and at his glorious Asst GM/HC Benjamin Button!

Great leadership starts at the top by not being afraid of hiring quality staff.
IMHO Spott dropped the ball BIGTIME by having Paul Fixter of staff since he's not close to being a threat to replacing Spott.
Seems like Fixter is trying to confuse the other teams PK by not sending anyone in front of the net nor in the slot....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Spott is basically the Ron Wilson of OHL coaches....likes his teams to play soft, non-aggressive and on the perimeter.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
EvenSteven

With the return of Faksa on Friday, the big question is how the lines will look down the stretch. Spott has already said Sterk will move to the wing, so with that in mind, here's how I'd like to see the lines look:

Thomson - Rieder - Leivo
Puempel - Faksa - Bailey
Sterk - Marcantuoni - Shoenmakers
Pederson - Meighan - Ming

This gives us three lines that can score.

- Thomson played with Rieder and Leivo on the weekend and they looked really good together.

- Ditto Bailey with Puempel. Bailey can easily skate with the big guns on the top 6 and him being there strengthens the bottom 6.

- That third line is a threat to score. There's a lot of skill there.

- I doubt Spott puts Pederson on the 4th line but I feel Sterk has a better shot keeping up with MM and Pederson's presence on the 4th line creates a pretty good shut down line.

Thoughts?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
With the return of Faksa on Friday, the big question is how the lines will look down the stretch. Spott has already said Sterk will move to the wing, so with that in mind, here's how I'd like to see the lines look:

Thomson - Rieder - Leivo
Puempel - Faksa - Bailey
Sterk - Marcantuoni - Shoenmakers
Pederson - Meighan - Ming

This gives us three lines that can score.

- Thomson played with Rieder and Leivo on the weekend and they looked really good together.

- Ditto Bailey with Puempel. Bailey can easily skate with the big guns on the top 6 and him being there strengthens the bottom 6.

- That third line is a threat to score. There's a lot of skill there.

- I doubt Spott puts Pederson on the 4th line but I feel Sterk has a better shot keeping up with MM and Pederson's presence on the 4th line creates a pretty good shut down line.

Thoughts?
I like your lines except for one switch that you saw yourself. I would switch Sterk and Pedersen for the only reason as Pedersen creates space and drives to the net. That would make that a hungry line. I would not worry to much about keeping up with Matia, he pretty much takes it to the net himself when he has the puck even when someone is with him. Getting that body to create space and get the puck to him I can see having more value. And I also think Pedersen has outplayed Sterk for most of the year.

I think that second line should re-ignite Faksa coming back as well. The hands that all three have should make goaltenders have a fit.

First line, Leivo and Rieder seem to be that deadly combo and with Thompson doing the dirty work.

And the fourth line I could also see Llewellyn and Alberga rotating in and out with Ming and Meighan. Especially Darby to get him some playing time going forth.

All in all, we are finally getting to see a healthy forward group...this should be good going into the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
EvenSteven

I doubt you see Meighan come out of the lineup. He's our best faceoff man and is usually on late in close games to take the draw. More than likely, we should see Alberga come in once in a while with Ming sitting out. That would give us two centermen on the 4th line.

Barring injury, Llewellyn likely won't see much time in the lineup once Faksa returns and the playoffs start. Spott seems to find reasons to get him out of the lineup once he finally gets in. He got an assist on Saturday yet came out on Sunday as Spott blamed him for a goal against. Upon further review, more than one guy could have gotten the puck out of the zone on the play but Llewellyn was made the goat on the post game show.

I also see Spott going to Alberga ahead of Llewellyn in the playoffs citing Alberga's experience and especially size when we play the more physical teams. Hard to argue that thinking. Llewellyn's time will come. I see him getting a ton of icetime next year.

Your reasoning for putting Pederson on the 3rd line make sense but MM crashes the net fine too. As I said though, no way Spott puts Pederson on the 4th line.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I doubt you see Meighan come out of the lineup. He's our best faceoff man and is usually on late in close games to take the draw. More than likely, we should see Alberga come in once in a while with Ming sitting out. That would give us two centermen on the 4th line.

Barring injury, Llewellyn likely won't see much time in the lineup once Faksa returns and the playoffs start. Spott seems to find reasons to get him out of the lineup once he finally gets in. He got an assist on Saturday yet came out on Sunday as Spott blamed him for a goal against. Upon further review, more than one guy could have gotten the puck out of the zone on the play but Llewellyn was made the goat on the post game show.

I also see Spott going to Alberga ahead of Llewellyn in the playoffs citing Alberga's experience and especially size when we play the more physical teams. Hard to argue that thinking. Llewellyn's time will come. I see him getting a ton of icetime next year.

Your reasoning for putting Pederson on the 3rd line make sense but MM crashes the net fine too. As I said though, no way Spott puts Pederson on the 4th line.
I dont really pay attention to faceoff stats, but if thats the case then I can see Meighan deserving going forward. Important to win that draw late in the game.

I still say you rotate Ming/Alberga/Llewellyn until the playoffs. I know what your saying about Spott using Alberga for experience but still would like to see Darby get some games to get that experience going forth and it would also be nice to see him get a game or two in the playoffs.

Also you will see Alberga/Llewellyn when Spott is making a point of sitting a player for not producing but I would think that would only happen to one of the third or fourth liners as he wouldnt send a message to a top 6 player.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
mikester

should be sitting mm, he has had a dissapointing year it dosent matter whos line he is on

Old
02-27-2013, 01:36 PM
bobber

Doubt you will ever see MM sit. He brings more than Alberga who has what 9 points. He is twice as fast as Ming who doesn't show up every night. Better and bigger than Sterk. Just wouldn't make sense in my opinion.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
should be sitting mm, he has had a dissapointing year it dosent matter whos line he is on
I suspect for the last 4 or 5 weeks that MM has been in the Rangers top 5 point getters!

Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
bobber

FYI Meighan won 18 of 20 face against the Pete's.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
BenchedGuy

Looks like Murphy should be on his way back.....

Quote:
Mike Farwell ‏@farwell590
Ryan Murphy not at practice with Carolina this morning. Gleason, Pitkanen both on the ice. Murphy's return to Kitchener imminent?

Old
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Looks like Murphy should be on his way back.....
He's back!

Old
02-28-2013, 12:27 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
He's back!

Watching this team struggle to clear the zone numerous times last weekend proves how valuable Murph is to the team.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Watching this team struggle to clear the zone numerous times last weekend proves how valuable Murph is to the team.

Here! Here!

Just one more guy to get back and we're 100%. Time to go on a run starting tomorrow night!

Old
03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
mikester

sometimes I over look the value of a player, you are right mm,s value as a big presence with speed and heart as seen last night in owensound by his blocked shot hope he is ok.GOOD game last night although some late calls by the refs were questionable, also gained a point on them

Old
03-03-2013, 04:27 PM
bobber

The Rangers had a chance to step up and show that they are an elite team today with an almost full squad. Instead they show that they are a mid ranked team. Terrible effort. Lievo benched. Fanelli on for five against. First round could be it for this group. They just never stand up to be counted when it matters. Spott threw the goalie under the bus when the whole squad stayed on it.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:39 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Anyone got an update on Gibson.

Closed Thread