HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
CCF gives off such a strong "divorced cop" vibe.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
I think CCF has a very Clintonesque definition of "all".

"It all depends on what your definition of "all" is"
Don't hate me for having a higher level of enlightenment! Just accept that Brouwer was speaking to team chemistry and it all becomes clear so you can actually debate the topic, not the quote as typed up by a reporter.

Forest for the trees....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Don't hate me for having a higher level of enlightenment! Just accept that Brouwer was speaking to team chemistry and it all becomes clear so you can actually debate the topic, not the quote as typed up by a reporter.

Forest for the trees....
I'll trade my higher level of the English language, you take the enlightenment.

I'll trade not accepting a dog **** record and calling it good, you take your "locker room chemistry"

I feel like I McPhleeced you.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I have more of an issue with calling that bum (Linden) a "fantastic TDL pickup" than I do with some comments that were made 12 damned years ago. Get over it...
Yeah the guy ranked 36th all time in NHL games played was a bum...

And apparently Empty Maybe over on OFB remembers it just the way I do.

Quote:
Had I, however, been in one of the meetings between Capitals management and then-coaching position applicant Adam Oates, I would have only had one question for the interviewee: How are you a different leader now than you were when Trevor Linden was traded to the Caps?
Quote:
I do hope that Oates is a strong leader who has evolved since the Linden incident...
http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2012/06/...-the-caps.html

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah the guy ranked 36th all time in NHL games played was a bum...

And apparently Empty Maybe over on OFB remembers it just the way I do.

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2012/06/...-the-caps.html
I see a brief reference to some "Linden Incident"....nothing more.

Sadly, games played means nothing. Linden was a shadow of his former self when he got to Washington (actually his drop-off started a few years prior).

Any credible news outlet links? I looked quickly and couldn't find anything.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
I'll trade my higher level of the English language, you take the enlightenment.

I'll trade not accepting a dog **** record and calling it good, you take your "locker room chemistry"

I feel like I McPhleeced you.

That's the problem apparently, reading comprehension. Nobody said their record was good, not even Brouwer. You're taking his statement and turning it so you can defend Semin. I'm looking at it from a logical angle. No pro athlete is going to profess to the press that their record is hunky dory while they sit in the cellar. So you have to read into what he was (IMO clearly) inferring.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I see a brief reference to some "Linden Incident"....nothing more.

Sadly, games played means nothing. Linden was a shadow of his former self when he got to Washington (actually his drop-off started a few years prior).

Any credible news outlet links? I looked quickly and couldn't find anything.
Well it is no claim to straight from McPhee's and Leonisis' mouths but it is the best I could do on short notice...

I'm sure the Linden incident he is talking about is the one where Linden accidentally knocked over Oates' water bottle at practice one day...

And Linden went on to play 450+ more NHL games after leaving Washington. Sure he wasn't the guy who led the Canucks to the cup final in '94 anymore but he was definitely no bum.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
What he said might have been tactless and best left inside the dressing room but it's true. And until they start saying 2+2 is 4 they aren't going to fix what's made them flame out the last 5 years.

Brouwer is a respected leader. Him stating that one guy and a lackadaisical work environment were issues is not "blaming others" it's speaking the truth.

If fans believe Semin was the glue holding them together then exactly what was he holding together? A perennially underachieving team? A team with skill but lacking discipline and leadership at literally every turn?

Keep it in the dressing room next time I agreed but I have no issue with what he said...even the we are fine part. He wasn't saying the team is awesome just intimating that whatever the issue is it wouldn't be solved with Semin.
Well, once you get past all the leadership (which apparently has been reduced to d*****s mouthing off these days) crap the on ice problems with the team is they're not very good at scoring goals and not very good at preventing goals. Semin was quite good at both.

Still trying to figure out why Chicago booted out a "respected leader" the moment they could get any value for him and haven't looked back once. They've got people there pining for Ladd, Byfuglien, Niemi, even Campbell and Versteeg sometimes. But not Troy "braveheart" Brouwer.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
That's the problem apparently, reading comprehension. Nobody said their record was good, not even Brouwer. You're taking his statement and turning it so you can defend Semin. I'm looking at it from a logical angle. No pro athlete is going to profess to the press that their record is hunky dory while they sit in the cellar. So you have to read into what he was (IMO clearly) inferring.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
g00n
abides

Has anyone noticed that basically saying "we'd rather be dead last than have that ****er on our team" is NOT flattering, and he probably knew EXACTLY what he was saying?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Has anyone noticed that basically saying "we'd rather be dead last than have that ****er on our team" is NOT flattering, and he probably knew EXACTLY what he was saying?
Troy Brouwer "knowing" what he was saying is about as good an indication of it being bull**** as you can get in this league.

I can't think of anything more destructive to team dynamics than talking **** about other people behind their backs, and no one does it more regularly than Troy Brouwer.

Best part Ovechkin is gonna have to be the one back this **** up and will be the one who gets crapped on if he doesn't. Troy Brouwerheart? Oh he's just a leader of men.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Stewie G

The board is borderline unreadable today with all the Brouwer crap.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Yeah, the Semin-haters just can't let it go.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

I think it's all a secret ploy designed to make me less irritated by Laich's airhead soundbytes.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
I think it's all a secret ploy designed to make me less irritated by Laich's airhead soundbytes.
At least his are harmless platitudes.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
At least his are harmless platitudes.
Aha. I see it's working on you already....

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Aha. I see it's working on you already....
Not really. Brouwer's are more entertaining.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Troy Brouwer "knowing" what he was saying is about as good an indication of it being bull**** as you can get in this league.

I can't think of anything more destructive to team dynamics than talking **** about other people behind their backs, and no one does it more regularly than Troy Brouwer.

Best part Ovechkin is gonna have to be the one back this **** up and will be the one who gets crapped on if he doesn't. Troy Brouwerheart? Oh he's just a leader of men.
Amen!

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
MoJoSauce

I don't remember this being discussed last season but one of my buddies was telling me that when Knuble was scratched for that stretch last season and the whole "Free Knuble" movement started, there was a fued in the locker room between Knuble and Ovi. Essentially Knuble told Ovi he was the worst captain he had ever played with and he didn't deserve to wear the C. This obviously didn't go over well and Ovi and Kanoobs went at it and Ovi ended up with a busted lip.

Not sure if this is accurate at all, but just trying to figure out if anyone else had heard word of this.

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I don't remember this being discussed last season but one of my buddies was telling me that when Knuble was scratched for that stretch last season and the whole "Free Knuble" movement started, there was a fued in the locker room between Knuble and Ovi. Essentially Knuble told Ovi he was the worst captain he had ever played with and he didn't deserve to wear the C. This obviously didn't go over well and Ovi and Kanoobs went at it and Ovi ended up with a busted lip.

Not sure if this is accurate at all, but just trying to figure out if anyone else had heard word of this.
Not even a little bit.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I blame it on Semin and Boudreau. If they weren't such horrible human beings Brouwer wouldn't feel forced to run them down in the media...

Old
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post

Ridiculous anecdote and ridiculous set up but I believe it.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ridiculous anecdote and ridiculous set up but I believe it.
Yeah now I need Knuble to retire and write his autobiography...

Old
02-27-2013, 01:51 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Brouwer is my hockey hero

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:57 AM
txpd

visable evidence. troy brouwer was acquired in part because of his stanley cup experience and to provide leadership. after one season he was elected to rep the team to the nhlpa. after one season and the lockout he was assigned as alternate captain.
when the team's top offensive players struggled he stepped up with 8 goals. top 20 in the nhl. tied for the team lead. one fewer than eric staal, marian hossa and sidney crosby.

i am not a big fan of running your mouth to the media, but i think its pretty obvious that the locker room supports him strongly.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote