Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
TS Quint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
How many times has Craig Heisinger been to Europe this year to scout? Last count it was four, they aren't doing that so he can get frequent flier points. It all depends where they draft , I highly doubt they would pass on a Lindholm at the correct spot for them . Saying that , there is a lot of North American talent so going that route also would not at all surprise me either.

Please let us know who your top 2 pairing D men are for this draft , thanks.
Could he have also been looking at picks for other rounds than the 1st?

Old
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think they want to be careful. That probably means they felt they didn't have the guys in place in Europe that they could trust just yet.

I think they want guys with high end work ethics,good leaders and play with a bit of toughness in their game. I think they are looking at some of there euro guys in the minors and not liking what they are seeing.

I guess if it comes down to Lindholm and Monahan at their draft position I think they draft Monahan because of those things the Jets Value right now.
Lindholm/Monahan is pretty much a coin , so one over the other would not surprise me either way to be honest.

They may not like their European players in the minors but they have signed overseas players when they had the otion to or not at the NHL level , so again I believe it is an individual decision. I do not think the Jets are pre disposed to not wanting to sign/draft Europeans. They may indeed need to see different things to make them feel they are warranted , but if the grade they give is right , they would pick them imo. This year with the extra picks , the confirmation of scouting there , if no players were picked it would then be a pattern , but until then it isn't , imo.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
Just fun to look at.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
TonyDay

Why should the Caps get Drouin? We're just as bad as they are!

What can be our tank saying that rhymes with Drouin?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDay View Post

Doo-doo'in' for Drouin?

Old
02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Ruined for Drouin

Old
02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Bob E

Poo-poo'in for Drouin!

NO Win for Drouin!

Give-In for Drouin!

Cave-In for Drouin!

Tailspin for Drouin!

Old
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Caps seem to be playing a bit better lately. They likely won't finish in the bottom 4, if Holtby continues his improved play.

Though, I suppose, a team can find themselves in a tough spot with a key injury or two. Except the Ottawa Senators.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, I didn't realize that Columbus had 3 high picks!

Old
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
TonyDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Doo-doo'in' for Drouin?
I think we've found it.

I also doubt the Caps will finish that low this year.

I feel like a top 5 pick should be ours this year. Kane and Ladd have to cool off at some point. I don't want to see this team finish out of the playoffs and without a nice pick every year.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
It will be interesting to watch. The Kings will pick it up, the Flyers may not.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
be a b*tch if they had 3 picks out of the playoffs and still lost the first pick due to the lottery.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I think they want to be careful. That probably means they felt they didn't have the guys in place in Europe that they could trust just yet.

I think they want guys with high end work ethics,good leaders and play with a bit of toughness in their game. I think they are looking at some of there euro guys in the minors and not liking what they are seeing.

I guess if it comes down to Lindholm and Monahan at their draft position I think they draft Monahan because of those things the Jets Value right now.
I agree, Joe.

I think Monahan would be their choice if its between Lindholm and Monahan.

Imo, Lindholm is a terrific two-way player that is a bit smaller (than Monahan) and may lack a true goal scorer's touch. His hockey IQ and compete level is a real strength, but he will likely be a pass first player in NHL. Played with the right linemates, that might be ok. He'd likely be great in colorado, replacing O'Reilly's spot with fellow Swede Landeskog.

Monahan seems to be the type of player TNSE likes. Is big, smart, hard working kid, plays a solid two-way game, and is a leader for his team with great character. Hard to know where Monahan's scoring ceiling (or floor) is. Not flashy, just solid. Likely less risk with Monahan.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
yes and John Davidson was hired at the perfect time to make changes at the top. He moved Howsen out and moved Jarmo Kekalainen in (the first NHL Euro GM). Who you ask....Jarmo was the director of amateur scouting for St Louis from 2002 to 2010 and responsible for getting the blues cupboards very full. What a great time to bring in a guy who was a head scout and can build that end of Columbus's org out. Stepping right into a deep draft with 3 first round picks.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Rangers.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Just fun to look at.

I prefer Shinkaruk at the 9 spot than Zadorov.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:04 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post

As far as Nichushkin goes, I would pass. The Russian factor is there whether teams readily admit it or not. He is no doubt talented, but I'd hate to be the team that gambled on him and have him jerk you around or pull something like Radulov. JETS cannot afford to miss on their 1st in this draft.

I'd feel safer taking Zadorov although I'm not sure why because even though he is playing in the CHL, he could pull the KHL thing for contract leverage just like any other Russian.

The Jets are a prospect thin team so I would rather we took the next player on the list than take a chance on someone who might not show. Some teams can afford that risk; I don't think we can.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
I think it really depends on the talent level of the two guys. I don't know too many of these players at all, but if the Russian guy has a noticeably higher skill level, take him Russian or not IMO. We have three second rounders (I believe) so we'll be able to restock the cupboards regardless.

Our depth stinks at C and RW, but that's more that we're missing high end guys. Radulov is the only top six Russian I can think of that straight up bolted for the KHL after he was RFA. And i think that was because Nashville didn't want to give him a big deal right away (what O'Reilly wants, what Kane and Benn got). If this guy is as good as Kuznetzov and Tarasenko, or even better I don't care. Let him come over when he's 21 and then we plan the parade lol

Old
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I think it really depends on the talent level of the two guys. I don't know too many of these players at all, but if the Russian guy has a noticeably higher skill level, take him Russian or not IMO. We have three second rounders (I believe) so we'll be able to restock the cupboards regardless.

Our depth stinks at C and RW, but that's more that we're missing high end guys. Radulov is the only top six Russian I can think of that straight up bolted for the KHL after he was RFA. And i think that was because Nashville didn't want to give him a big deal right away (what O'Reilly wants, what Kane and Benn got). If this guy is as good as Kuznetzov and Tarasenko, or even better I don't care. Let him come over when he's 21 and then we plan the parade lol
Radulov was not Rfa when he left he was still under his elc. His bolting is what in the end prompted the NHL and Khl to sign moa.

Teams have a better idea of if players will come over, if jets take a Russian I'm sure they know the player and have an idea of his mindset.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Radulov was not Rfa when he left he was still under his elc. His bolting is what in the end prompted the NHL and Khl to sign moa.

Teams have a better idea of if players will come over, if jets take a Russian I'm sure they know the player and have an idea of his mindset.

Exactly , Russian Player A may not be a consideration for say pick 10 but may be for pick 40 ... the Jets will have their information and board set accordingly , I have no worries for that at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

A little OT, but if Edmonton wins the lottery again, I'll lose my ****.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
A little OT, but if Edmonton wins the lottery again, I'll lose my ****.
It would be even worse if they made the playoffs and then somehow still won the lottery.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
It would be even worse if they made the playoffs and then somehow still won the lottery.
Can't. Only 14 teams who miss playoffs are entered into lottery. Rest of teams go through a seperate procedure involving division winners and playoff success for the rest of the order.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Can't. Only 14 teams who miss playoffs are entered into lottery. Rest of teams go through a seperate procedure involving division winners and playoff success for the rest of the order.
True enough, though the Oilers could make a deadline deal, get another 1st from a team that then somehow misses the playoffs, and the Oilers cash in their 1% chance of winning the lottery.

I don't trust Tambellini at all!

Old
02-27-2013, 02:00 AM
meedle

Quote:
I thought they were going back to last years format this coming draft. Only the last 5 teams have a chance at #1.

Closed Thread