HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
  #251
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Trade value, dude.

You can't count me out on that one, though. I think trading Fleischmann would be a mistake.
I think whatever you would get in return for Fleischmann wouldn't be worth his contributions to this offense when this team actually works.

Egblad is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
  #252
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Honestly, I don't know. To me, he's got more positives than negatives to his game. I think he needs work on the timing and accuracy of his shot. He misses the net during so many key times in games. I like his quickness and ability to move the puck.

Hope DT doesn't give up on him yet. Too early in his career.
And thats fine that we dont know but everyone should know by next season if he is or isnt because he'll be close to 300 games of experience at that point. As I said, he's a clear cut top 4 d-man on ANY team in this league right now. He's definitely a #3 right now, no question about that. But the negatives he does have, I'm not sure that he'll improve on those to the point that he becomes a #1 d-man.

I wouldnt mind if Tallon moves him but only if it means we're getting a top line forward in return. I keep looking at Philly and wondering if we could snag a forward from them in a deal for Kulikov after the season is over. I would do a deal where we got Couturier or B.Schenn back since that would at least seem to be addressing our needs of a top line type forward in return.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
  #253
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I heard everyone rave that way about Gudbranson.

Also, I disagree with you about having holes in his game. The only hole might be his offensive production. He's not dominating the WHL with goals or assists. So, I think it's fair to say there's limited offensive potential since we're not seeing it a lot in juniors.

I'm not sure how smart it would be to choose another defenseman in the first round. ANOTHER ONE.. in consecutive years.

DT hasn't brought in the big fish in FA yet. It's unlikely that will bring Perry or Getzlaf over here. We need offensive studs and we need 'em badly since we have only one (not a stud yet, but with great potential).

Huberdeau and then what? Bjugstad?

Drouin or MacKinnon could help round out our offensive future. I prefer Mac over Drouin. But if we're faced with Drouin or Jones.. I'm just not sure if picking the d-man would be the right decision. Remember our past defesive studs. Bouwmeester.. Still hasn't seen the playoffs. We shouldn't make the same mistake.
I don't think anyone here raved that way about Gudbranson. He wasn't as good a skater as Jones is and wasn't nearly as good offensively. Gud was drafted with the knowledge that his offensive game was very raw, but that he had a lot of upside. Jones is the complete package. With his skillset, his potential is virtually limitless.

How can you say that Jones isn't dominating offensively? He has 10G, 37A, 47 P in 53 games! Nearly a PPG in the CHL for a defenseman in his draft year is terrific.

I don't care about taking another d-man in the first round in consecutive years if that d-man is Jones. He could become a top 5 d-man. I would take that every day, regardless of our prospect pool. We could deal with trading some of our defensive pieces for offense at a later date. I would easily take Jones over any of our current d-men in a split second.

Your argument is based on the assumption that Drouin and Jones will both become good NHL players, however Jones is the only sure thing. Drouin isn't, that's the wrench in the equation. That's why I take Jones, because he's a surefire stud.

In hindsight, Bouwmeester doesn't hold a candle to Jones, because he did not have a mean streak at all, and in fact is timid. Jones is a much more intense hockey player and comparing the two side by side today one would project Jones to reach his potential over Bouwmeester. And just because Bouwmeester didn't work out, that doesn't really mean anything. You can flip the argument around for forwards just as easily. Horton was supposed to be Cam Neely, Weiss was supposed to be Yzerman lite, Olesz was supposed to be Jagr lite, Frolik was supposed to be Elias.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
  #254
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
Bouwmeester didn't pan out as we all hoped, but let's be fair.

The guy was a #1 defenseman here. That was not a terrible pick. The pick could have been better, but the point is that he wasn't a bust.

His last year here was a disaster after the trade deadline, probably because he no longer wanted to be here. Before the deadline, however, we were in the top-8 of the conference, in large part because of his play. If you go back to that time, he was a top-10 D-man (maybe even better) in the entire NHL.

Not sure what the big deal is against drafting D-men. The last two good teams we had were in large part thanks to a great defensive core.

You're supposed to take the projected BPA, (whoever that is), regardless of position.

Erick is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
  #255
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Bouwmeester didn't pan out as we all hoped, but let's be fair.

The guy was a #1 defenseman here. That was not a terrible pick. The pick could have been better, but the point is that he wasn't a bust.

His last year here was a disaster after the trade deadline, probably because he no longer wanted to be here. Before the deadline, however, we were in the top-8 of the conference, in large part because of his play. If you go back to that time, he was a top-10 D-man (maybe even better) in the entire NHL.

Not sure what the big deal is against drafting D-men. The last two good teams we had were in large part thanks to a great defensive core.

You're supposed to take the projected BPA, (whoever that is), regardless of position.
Yep, when you are drafting that high, and there is such a big drop off from Jones to Drouin, Barkov, etc., position should play no part in your decision. You take the BPA, period.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
  #256
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yep, when you are drafting that high, and there is such a big drop off from Jones to Drouin, Barkov, etc., position should play no part in your decision. You take the BPA, period.
Is there that big of a difference between Jones and the others? He really impressed me at the WJC's. but I know there are guys who've looked good there and didn't go far.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  #257
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Is there that big of a difference between Jones and the others? He really impressed me at the WJC's. but I know there are guys who've looked good there and didn't go far.
The big difference between MacKinnon & Jones and the others is they are sure things.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
  #258
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The big difference between MacKinnon & Jones and the others is they are sure things.
Ok, thanks man.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:37 AM
  #259
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The big difference between MacKinnon & Jones and the others is they are sure things.
Not really. The top 6 are all relatively safe prospects.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:42 AM
  #260
FrolikFan67
Registered User
 
FrolikFan67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
oh how i wish we wind up with a top-3 pick. i'd take mackinnon first because hes a center, then drouin (hes actually my favorite, but mac would get the slight edge for being a center), then jones, barkov, and i dont know who i'd pick between monahan or lindholm but i feel like tallon would go with monahan.

FrolikFan67 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
  #261
Lampshade85
Registered User
 
Lampshade85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
I hope we would take either Mackinnon or Drouin as they have both played with Huberdeau and I thought they all complimented each other nicely. But I wouldn't mind taking Barkov either.

Lampshade85 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:25 PM
  #262
Haj
Registered User
 
Haj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
I don't know enough about the prospects to have an intelligent opinion.

I believe BPA should always be taken (outside of goaltenders), because you can't predict your team's needs 2-3 years in the future. Realistically, its going to take at least 3 years before a prospect suits up for your team.

Past history does not predict the future. Bouwmeester, Horton, and Weiss were all rushed into the league far too soon. Who knows what they would have become with proper development. Olesz had a ton of injuries. I have no idea what happened to Frolik...and this why you take BPA..most prospects don't pan out, but if you have more elite prospects it increases the odds of draft picks making a big impact on the team.

I can't conclusively say Jones is better than Drouin or Barkov, but I think Tallon will take BPA based on whatever his assesment is.

Haj is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 07:26 PM
  #263
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Not really. The top 6 are all relatively safe prospects.
Some are safer than others.

I don't think we're going to get a top 3 pick anyway though. I think Markstrom's play will bump us out of the top 3, and there are a couple teams that are worse than us already. I'm focusing more on Monahan and Lindholm.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  #264
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Some are safer than others.

I don't think we're going to get a top 3 pick anyway though. I think Markstrom's play will bump us out of the top 3, and there are a couple teams that are worse than us already. I'm focusing more on Monahan and Lindholm.
Yeah I figure we're picking no earlier than 5th and could be as late as 10th. If we do have the choice between Monahan & Lindholm, I think I like Monahan a little better due to his size, skating & that he's more balanced in terms of scoring (Lindholm is more of a passer than shooter). If we're picking around 10, I'd be looking at Gauthier (who has been compared to Keith Primeau) or Adam Erne. I think everyone can see right now, we definitely need more size in our lineup and any of those guys would be able to provide that.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:02 PM
  #265
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
After tonight, we're 2nd worst in the NHL and only 3 points ahead of Columbus.

With the injuries we have, and if we trade off some players, we may still have a chance to draft MacKinnon.

panthersfan751 is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
  #266
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
I think it is tank time already. Would be sad to see Markstrom to lose all the games but he cant cover up the D . The D is horrible.

Boothinator is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
  #267
PBPantherfan
Here we go again
 
PBPantherfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
After tonight, we're 2nd worst in the NHL and only 3 points ahead of Columbus.

With the injuries we have, and if we trade off some players, we may still have a chance to draft MacKinnon.
You really think anyone can break Edmonton's hold on the number 1 pick? This team will manage to lose no matter what.

PBPantherfan is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 10:56 PM
  #268
p9ers
Registered User
 
p9ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
They won't be so low in the standing, but they'll win the lottery.

p9ers is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:08 AM
  #269
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yeah I figure we're picking no earlier than 5th and could be as late as 10th. If we do have the choice between Monahan & Lindholm, I think I like Monahan a little better due to his size, skating & that he's more balanced in terms of scoring (Lindholm is more of a passer than shooter). If we're picking around 10, I'd be looking at Gauthier (who has been compared to Keith Primeau) or Adam Erne. I think everyone can see right now, we definitely need more size in our lineup and any of those guys would be able to provide that.
If Gauthier keeps rising, he could even challenge Shinkaruk/possibly Nichushkin for the 6th forward off the board. I mean he's gigantic and he skates well enough. I don't think he's ever going to be that dynamic, but he has good enough hands to be a Couturier clone, or maybe better. A grittier version of Couturier that scores more points around the net.

Picking between Monahan and Lindholm is a hard choice. I would probably pick Monahan because he's safer, bigger, and grittier, which is what we need. But I'd love Lindholm too, he can definitely score goals as he showed in the WJC and he is very good defensively even if he isn't that physical. I think you just know more of what you are going to get with Monahan though. You know he's going to be a player, he's going to go to war every night, and be a thorn in the opposing team's side, and bang home the garbage around the net. We need more of that blood and guts hockey.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 05:11 AM
  #270
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
I think it is tank time already. Would be sad to see Markstrom to lose all the games but he cant cover up the D . The D is horrible.
Markstrom will win his share. It's not just the defense, our goalies are just brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
They won't be so low in the standing, but they'll win the lottery.
I couldn't even be mad if that happened. I'd just laugh at the amazement of it.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
  #271
AaronEkbald
2nd to last in goals
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Jonathan Drouin is really making it difficult for teams in the number one and two positions to pass on him in this draft.

Ok.

98 pts / 39 goals in 45 games. I know the Mooseheads are stacked this year and MacKinnon has been his linemate, but that is impressive.

MacKinnon really slowed his pace. Wonder if he's battling injury.. 69 pts / 28 goals in 41 games

AaronEkbald is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:36 AM
  #272
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Jonathan Drouin is really making it difficult for teams in the number one and two positions to pass on him in this draft.

Ok.

98 pts / 39 goals in 45 games. I know the Mooseheads are stacked this year and MacKinnon has been his linemate, but that is impressive.

MacKinnon really slowed his pace. Wonder if he's battling injury.. 69 pts / 28 goals in 41 games
Mac has been injured for almost a month. But yes, those Drouin numbers are impressive.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  #273
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
I would still take MacKinnon over Drouin, or atleast I think so. Drouin has some insane numbers thought. But MacKinnon is super skilled, dynamic and amazing speed.

AwesomePanthers is online now  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
  #274
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I dont see how any GM in the league would pass on MacKinnon if they were picking either #1 or #2. I dont think there are any rankings where Mac is lower than Drouin too. I'd love to have Mac if we dont improve more and would take him before Drouin, no question.

Coolburn is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
  #275
AaronEkbald
2nd to last in goals
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
What if we get pick number one or two. The future could be this..

Huberdeau - Bjugstad - MacKinnon/ Drouin


AaronEkbald is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.