HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames game

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 08:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
The fans do speak

Interesting stat in the Hockey News and to me very surprising. The Oilers draw the 5th best fans on the road.

I was surprised as hell to read that.

Obviously other teams fans like watching the Oilers.

Best draws on the road.

Detroit 17,557 average Lots of great players
Washington 17,554 Jagr?
Pittsburgh 17,319 Obviously Mario factor
Montreal - 17,239 Tradition, original six?
Edmonton - 17,148 Tradition, "Oiler hockey"?

Worst draws on the road
New York Islanders 14,925
New Jersey Devils 14,726
Florida Panthers 14,570
San Jose Sharks 14,445
Tampa Bay Lightning 13,349

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 12-18-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
you cant possibly tell me right now the oilers are actually playing exciting hockey. i find the canucks and flames(shoot me please) more exciting to watch than this sorry bunch.
If the Oilers had played the exact same way, and instead of only winning 2 of the past 13, they only lost 2 of the past 13, the games would be exciting to you.

Aside from the blowout loss to Detroit, the excitment has been there... unfortunately some people can't see past the final box score.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man
It's especially better than "get shutout every second game Oilers hockey".
Uh, you do know that the Flames and Oilers have both been shutout the same number of times this season (3), right?

'Oilers Hockey' is the way the game should be played.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:34 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If the Oilers had played the exact same way, and instead of only winning 2 of the past 13, they only lost 2 of the past 13, the games would be exciting to you.

Aside from the blowout loss to Detroit, the excitment has been there... unfortunately some people can't see past the final box score.
Very important point IMO. Goals by your team are exciting. Look at NJD, they (I know this sounds strange) ARE exciting, if you watch from a NJ fan perspective, but if your team is playing them its horribly boring since they allow NO offense for your team.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:

To me exciting hockey does not mean a bunch of goal scoring to me exciting hockey is two teams going as hard as they can against one another. The Flames play hard every night and have more talent then the Oilers. So its an easy decision for me.

I know Oiler fans love their "Oiler hockey" but lets face it nobody likes a losing team with a horrible defense and worse goaltending. The Oilers will eventually have to change their style if they ever want to be anything more than playoff contenders. Pretty soon fans will start to leave if the Oilers don't start winning, it happened before it will happen again and a franchise on such unstable ground as Edmonton will be forced to move. The only nonoriginal six team to be able to draw crowds while being a losing team is the Flames.

So what it comes down to is the "box score" and people will never look past it because a losing team means losing a team.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:29 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder
To me exciting hockey does not mean a bunch of goal scoring to me exciting hockey is two teams going as hard as they can against one another. The Flames play hard every night and have more talent then the Oilers. So its an easy decision for me.
When at any point did I say more goals=more excitment? I wouldn't bother looking, because it will take you forever because I didn't say it. Exciting hockey can mean 2 teams going as hard as they can at one another, but not always. Minnesota was one of the hardest working teams last year, but they sure as heck weren't exciting to watch. As for the Flames being more talented, I doubt that very much, but I am willing to wait until the season is over before making passing judgement on that. Afterall, this is certainly not the first time the Flames have been ahead of the Oilers in the standings over the past 7 years, and we all know how they ended up.

Quote:
I know Oiler fans love their "Oiler hockey" but lets face it nobody likes a losing team with a horrible defense and worse goaltending. The Oilers will eventually have to change their style if they ever want to be anything more than playoff contenders.
Actually, the goaltending and defence hasn't been too bad this year, it has been the specialty teams that have killed the Oilers. And if the Oilers have to change their style in order to go farther in the playoffs, then they will lose a bunch of fans, because quite frankly a lot of the hockey played right now is terrible, and I for one will not spend my money or my time to watch the Oilers copy Minnesota.

Quote:
Pretty soon fans will start to leave if the Oilers don't start winning, it happened before it will happen again and a franchise on such unstable ground as Edmonton will be forced to move. The only nonoriginal six team to be able to draw crowds while being a losing team is the Flames.
What? My god, the Oilers are 2 games above .500. It's not like this has been a regular occurance for them. In fact, this is the first time in 4 years that they are on pace to finish below .500. Let's not start calling the dogs now and sicing them on the oilers franchise 30 games into the season.

And You might want to rethink that very last statement. Looking at your crowds over the past 3 years, you had a lot of 12-14 thousand attendance figures... so I wouldn't go and say that the only team able to draw crowds while losing is the Flames, because they couldn't do it either.

Quote:
So what it comes down to is the "box score" and people will never look past it because a losing team means losing a team.
For a lot of fans, it doesn't always come down to the box score, otherwise, there would be no fans left. I understand that some people need to live through their favorite team, and use it to try and prove their impact on society, but in the end, what these guys do on the ice has <b>no impact</b> on your life. It is rather funny how people will spend $100 dollars on a ticket, and not give a crap about anything else but the final score.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:05 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder

I know Oiler fans love their "Oiler hockey" but lets face it nobody likes a losing team with a horrible defense and worse goaltending. The Oilers will eventually have to change their style if they ever want to be anything more than playoff contenders. Pretty soon fans will start to leave if the Oilers don't start winning, it happened before it will happen again and a franchise on such unstable ground as Edmonton will be forced to move. The only nonoriginal six team to be able to draw crowds while being a losing team is the Flames.

I'll never understand where you guys come up with this stuff. Where were you weeks ago when the Flames were losing. I bet we wouldn't have heard the more talent and exciting hockey that you talk about the Flames displaying. Curious to see your response if the Flames were to tank the rest of the season away. Be happy with what the Flames are accomplishing right now, and stop using the Oilers as a measuring stick to how well the Flames franchise is doing. Possible playoffs should be the only thing on and Calgary fans mind.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Redrum

As a rare Oiler AND Flame fan, I have to say that even if the Oilers and Flames were both winning at the same rate they'd have about the same entertainment value. Edmonton would be nice to watch because of their system if they were winning but I can't stand to watch it right now. I know people here say the Flames play the trap which is so not true, when watching the Flames this year there is very little neutral zone play and a lot of scoring chances. The only time it's boring at all is if the Flames don't show up (which hasn't happened in a while). Also with the addition of Calgary's young players (Saprykin, Lombardi, etc) their talent level has jumped considerably and they actually don't have many stone handers any more, in that department I'd easily give the Flames the upper hand, Oil have given up way too much in the last while like Comrie and at the deadline last year. I love the Oilers but this year they just don't match up.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
you cant possibly tell me right now the oilers are actually playing exciting hockey. i find the canucks and flames(shoot me please) more exciting to watch than this sorry bunch.
I pretty much agree. While some of the players can be exciting, the team as a whole right now isn't. The intensity and physical play are inconsistent at best. The Oilers powerplay might be the most boring 2 minutes in all of hockey, and inevitably kills whatever momentum and intensity the team is able to build at regular strength. Unfortunately for us, the Oilers penalty-killing is the most exciting part of the game- but not exciting in a good way.

Old
12-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
When at any point did I say more goals=more excitment? I wouldn't bother looking, because it will take you forever because I didn't say it. Exciting hockey can mean 2 teams going as hard as they can at one another, but not always. Minnesota was one of the hardest working teams last year, but they sure as heck weren't exciting to watch. As for the Flames being more talented, I doubt that very much, but I am willing to wait until the season is over before making passing judgement on that. Afterall, this is certainly not the first time the Flames have been ahead of the Oilers in the standings over the past 7 years, and we all know how they ended up.
The difference is the way the Flames are playing. 2 years ago Iginla, Turek, Conroy, and McAmmond were all red hot. This year that isn't true in the least bit, in fact all four are having bad years.

2 years ago the Flames were being carried by Turek, this year Kipper has been carried by the Flames' defence.

2 years ago the Flames had no system, no direction. This year the Flames have a great system that helps them win games against some of the toughest teams in the league. Philly, Colorado, Boston, Vancouver etc.

Quote:
Actually, the goaltending and defence hasn't been too bad this year, it has been the specialty teams that have killed the Oilers. And if the Oilers have to change their style in order to go farther in the playoffs, then they will lose a bunch of fans, because quite frankly a lot of the hockey played right now is terrible, and I for one will not spend my money or my time to watch the Oilers copy Minnesota.
Salo has been awful there is no denying that and Conklin is a backup at best.

Winning does not mean copying Minnesota. Winning means playing a system that is defensive minded because lets face it the Oilers are not going to win any shootouts or any games where the other team scores more than 3.

Quote:
What? My god, the Oilers are 2 games above .500. It's not like this has been a regular occurance for them. In fact, this is the first time in 4 years that they are on pace to finish below .500. Let's not start calling the dogs now and sicing them on the oilers franchise 30 games into the season.
The Oilers have awful goaltending, awful special teams, and a weak defense. That spells big trouble.

Quote:
And You might want to rethink that very last statement. Looking at your crowds over the past 3 years, you had a lot of 12-14 thousand attendance figures... so I wouldn't go and say that the only team able to draw crowds while losing is the Flames, because they couldn't do it either.
They averaged 16,000 last year and 15,500 this year. That statement is plain wrong.

For a lot of fans, it doesn't always come down to the box score, otherwise, there would be no fans left. I understand that some people need to live through their favorite team, and use it to try and prove their impact on society, but in the end, what these guys do on the ice has <b>no impact</b> on your life. It is rather funny how people will spend $100 dollars on a ticket, and not give a crap about anything else but the final score.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think it has a big impact on your life especially if you live in the city where your favorite team plays. Having a NHL team will increases pride in one's city. It brings money into your city and provides the charities there with more money which directly. It also provides hundreds, maybe thousands, of people with jobs. Losing will cause a team to move eventually which will have a huge impact on the city and everyone living in it.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:38 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon
As a rare Oiler AND Flame fan, I have to say that even if the Oilers and Flames were both winning at the same rate they'd have about the same entertainment value. Edmonton would be nice to watch because of their system if they were winning but I can't stand to watch it right now. I know people here say the Flames play the trap which is so not true, when watching the Flames this year there is very little neutral zone play and a lot of scoring chances. The only time it's boring at all is if the Flames don't show up (which hasn't happened in a while). Also with the addition of Calgary's young players (Saprykin, Lombardi, etc) their talent level has jumped considerably and they actually don't have many stone handers any more, in that department I'd easily give the Flames the upper hand, Oil have given up way too much in the last while like Comrie and at the deadline last year. I love the Oilers but this year they just don't match up.
As a Flame and Oiler fan I'll back you up here. BTW dawgbone, I maintain the Oilers HAVE to play better defense and better defense DOES NOT equal the trap, I mean look at the teams in the top 15 in GAA and you'll find ALOT of them are the most exciting teams in the league, sure boring teams like Carolina and Minny are their, they just don't have the offensive talents of the others, but the fact remains people still say that great defense can only call for boring hockey, but Colorado and Vancity are top 10 in GAA, TOP 10! Nobody calls them boring, just winners. Giving up almost 3 GPG will kill the Oilers, if that means better PK then so be it, thats defense too.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:42 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
uuuummm no dawgbone absolutely wrong do you honestly think the way this team has been playing they can actually win some games. no i meant exciting hockey, not win or lose, a team willing to give it all each and every night. never say die, dont tell me you are that naive to believe this team plays at least a decent game or even try to. unlike you i enjoy watching other teams in the nhl and to let you in on a little secret, the teams that win play an exciting brand of hockey. they play with emotion and play to win.

Closed Thread