HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Galchenyuk may or may not have been #1 if he had played last year...hard to compare the two players.
So wait... You don't think Drouin should go first ?

Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The scouting world in general LOVEs Drouin, just about everybody has him top 3, that has nothing to do with being french, spanish, italian or wahtever.
Of course, but you don't hear this board talking about having to get Jones or Mackinnon at all costs the way you do Drouin. Any team would love to have Drouin, so the Habs don't have any special claim.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Of course, but you don't hear this board talking about having to get Jones or Mackinnon at all costs the way you do Drouin. Any team would love to have Drouin, so the Habs don't have any special claim.
No. But I'm not the one proposing a trade to the top 5 of the draft. Let's play hard and worry about the draft after the season.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
So wait... You don't think Drouin should go first ?
If the draft was today I'd take him at #2 and Jones at #1.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
If the draft was today I'd take him at #2 and Jones at #1.
Say I'm the GM, you're my head scout.
I want Mackinnon, you want Drouin.
Convince me ?

Old
02-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Say I'm the GM, you're my head scout.
I want Mackinnon, you want Drouin.
Convince me ?
Drouin's game will adapt better to the NHL long term. MacKinnon is a bit more physically ready, but Drouin thinks the game in 3 dimensions like Giroux Crosby and the best playmakers. MacKinnon like a mini Ovechkin can be stopped by taking away his space. Plus Drouin is a guy that will increase the goal total of anybody on his line plus score almost as many(say 30) as MacKinnon.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Drouin's game will adapt better to the NHL long term. MacKinnon is a bit more physically ready, but Drouin thinks the game in 3 dimensions like Giroux Crosby and the best playmakers. MacKinnon like a mini Ovechkin can be stopped by taking away his space. Plus Drouin is a guy that will increase the goal total of anybody on his line plus score almost as many(say 30) as MacKinnon.
Well, that's simply not true.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Ok. What make's you think that Mackinnon can be stopped so easily? Mackinnon hockey IQ is really high too. And he brings more intangible than Drouin, no?

I appreciate the mature answer.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Ok. What make's you think that Mackinnon can be stopped so easily? Mackinnon hockey IQ is really high too. And he brings more intangible than Drouin, no?

I appreciate the mature answer.
I didn't say he could be stopped easily, but he isn't as multi dimensional.

From what I have seen of MacKinnon his hockey IQ is only slightly above average. His hands and speed are well above average. He is a decent playmaker but not anywhere close to Drouin. His assistys will dry up in the pros as his speed won't create as much space for him as in junior.

Where do you get that macKinnon has more intangibles? Which ones? Drouin's work ethic is off the charts.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Well, that's simply not true.
I meant that as make a bigger impact.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
We now have 6 picks in possibly the top 80.

We're in such a good position. We can trade up twice now if there are guys they really like.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

From what I have seen of MacKinnon his hockey IQ is only slightly above average. His hands and speed are well above average. He is a decent playmaker but not anywhere close to Drouin. His assistys will dry up in the pros as his speed won't create as much space for him as in junior.

Where do you get that macKinnon has more intangibles? Which ones? Drouin's work ethic is off the charts.
Mackinnons work ethic is just as advanced, he never coasts. Macs playmaking is very good, but less than Dru's. Dru's shot is good, but not as good/accurate as Mac's. Drouin has great speed, but has some difficulty when shifting directions suddenly, cannot keep his top speed, Mac can.

Basically, the reason they click so well are those differences. Both their games will translate very well to the pros. Their draft positions depend on team needs at this point. Mac may make the NHL sooner than Drouin....but more likely is both play next season.

If the habs had to choose between the two, I would lean to mackinnon over drouin.... but its a tough call and its personal preference at this point.

I've watched about 40 games for each now so I am not just going off highlight reels here.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

Mac's hockey IQ is actually off the chart.

IQ is not only about passing, it's about A LOT of things.

I'd compare him to Taylor Hall, but with a higher IQ. And maybe a bit less reckless.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Et le But

If Mackinnon is like Hall, he's a rich man's Taylor Hall.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Mackinnons work ethic is just as advanced, he never coasts. Macs playmaking is very good, but less than Dru's. Dru's shot is good, but not as good/accurate as Mac's. Drouin has great speed, but has some difficulty when shifting directions suddenly, cannot keep his top speed, Mac can.

Basically, the reason they click so well are those differences. Both their games will translate very well to the pros. Their draft positions depend on team needs at this point. Mac may make the NHL sooner than Drouin....but more likely is both play next season.

If the habs had to choose between the two, I would lean to mackinnon over drouin.... but its a tough call and its personal preference at this point.

I've watched about 40 games for each now so I am not just going off highlight reels here.
MacKinnon's playmaking will not translate in the NHL. He can make plays on the way to the net but he doesn't have that 6th sense of where everybody is on the ice like great playmakers. He has a tendancy to drop his head and try to bull his way to the net or beat guys 1 on 1, which won't work very often in the NHL at his size.

Team Canada has had issues with MacKinnon's attitude the last 2 tournaments he has played(Ivan Hlinka and WJHC). He's pouted when things didn't go his way offensively and did stuff that's hurt the team and pissed off teammates. maybe he'll grow out of that but it is a factor.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Mrb1p

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If Mackinnon is like Hall, he's a rich man's Taylor Hall.
It's pretty much what I meant.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
MacKinnon's playmaking will not translate in the NHL. He can make plays on the way to the net but he doesn't have that 6th sense of where everybody is on the ice like great playmakers. He has a tendancy to drop his head and try to bull his way to the net or beat guys 1 on 1, which won't work very often in the NHL at his size.

Team Canada has had issues with MacKinnon's attitude the last 2 tournaments he has played(Ivan Hlinka and WJHC). He's pouted when things didn't go his way offensively and did stuff that's hurt the team and pissed off teammates. maybe he'll grow out of that but it is a factor.
He has not displayed any of those issues here....ever. so, I cant say its an issue, but, if true, I can understand your hesitance.

As for his playmaking. He can create, but more of a winger than that cornerstone centre. But is more than average.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Draft weekend will be awesome for us prospect/draft junkies.

02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
We now have 6 picks in possibly the top 80.

We're in such a good position. We can trade up twice now if there are guys they really like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Draft weekend will be awesome for us prospect/draft junkies.
Just crazy, but I got to think they might make a move or two and we might traded pick or two but still awesome weekend indeed it's going to be

Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

After seeing MacKinnon and Drouin multiple times, I'm 100% with Carey Price on this. And like him, I heard about the attitude stuff too.

MacKinnon will be a good player in the NHL, but I'd take Drouin before that's for sure.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
SnapVirus

Drouin first for me too.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
ChoseLa

Wow i think i'm more looking for day 2 of the draft than day 1.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It's all in 1 day this year.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:13 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It's all in one day this year.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:20 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

So with Today's trade, we better start looking at guys for the third round

Closed Thread