HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL revised realignment with 4 conferences & wild cards

Old
02-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

vCash: 500
NHL revised realignment with 4 conferences & wild cards

What does everyone think?

Summary:
4 conferences/divisions
Detroit & Columbus play in the east
Divisional/conference playoffs with final 4 reseeded
Top 3 teams each division/conference make POs
4th seed in each conference reserved for a wild card with a possible wild card round

Edit: I read reports that wild card will be either strictly points based where teams "cross over" or a single game playoff for the final seed. I like crossing over bc any team can play any team, even divisional rivals in the SCF.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...ue-4-divisions

Personally... I love it!!!

Last edited by Mory Schneideur*: 02-26-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
stallion19
DRW

As a Wings fan I love it. Less travel, more games in their time zone and more opportunity to see them play.

Someone on TSN brought up a good point about the unbalanced number of teams in each conference; the teams playing in the conferences with additional teams have a harder time to make the playoffs.

stallion19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

EDIT: Nevermind. I like the format, I guess.

Last edited by Chris Hansen: 02-26-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
The East gets 2 more teams?! East Coast Bias!!

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 02-26-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
duxfever

Send a message via AIM to duxfever
Sad about losing Columbus. Detroit can go though.

duxfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion19 View Post
As a Wings fan I love it. Less travel, more games in their time zone and more opportunity to see them play.

Someone on TSN brought up a good point about the unbalanced number of teams in each conference; the teams playing in the conferences with additional teams have a harder time to make the playoffs.
I agree with you, which is strange why (according to reports) only the 8-team conferences might do the wild card thing... Doesn't that just make even harder?

I wanna see wild cards across the board in all 4 conferences

Old
02-26-2013, 06:41 PM
homersimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfever View Post
Sad about losing Columbus. Detroit can go though.
This made me laugh.

True though.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Hate uneven conferences. Ridiculous.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
CorsiCounter

Less games against the Wild. Success.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
MessierII

I like it. The wildcard should make up for anyone's ridiculous uneven conferences concerns.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Regards to current:

Why do divisional winners make it no matter what anyway? what is the reason? Why does it happen in sports?

Is it because they THINK they need atleast 1 team from each division? They think that if all teams in a division are out of the playoffs , the fans wont watch?

The CFL does it right. Cross the teams over. It's the playoffs, they can travel.

I hate seeing the better teams out, because some mediocre team is in a scrub division.

Get it right. Let the real teams make it, and let the crap ones golf....Enough with the handouts.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Regards to current:

Why do divisional winners make it no matter what anyway? what is the reason? Why does it happen in sports?

Is it because they THINK they need atleast 1 team from each division? They think that if all teams in a division are out of the playoffs , the fans wont watch?

The CFL does it right. Cross the teams over. It's the playoffs, they can travel.

I hate seeing the better teams out, because some mediocre team is in a scrub division.

Get it right. Let the real teams make it, and let the crap ones golf....Enough with the handouts.
Shouldn't you complain about the three seeds getting in? All division winners will likely have the four best records points wise every time. There has to be a reward for winning your division.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Regards to current:

Easier to do in a smaller league with a similar schedule. When you have teams that play in such different schedules, it is hard and unfair to compare them as the same. You can compare them once the playoffs begin. When they lose out, they weren't the best team anyways. You feel you got rooked because your team was "better" than that one, well, don't let it get to that point.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
EddieDingle

So as I understand it, and as TSN just said, teams in the West would have a 57% chance of making the playoffs while teams in the East have a 50%? 8 out of 14 teams and 8 out of 16 teams. Am I wrong?

How is this even being considered? Isn't competitive balance the most important factor to keep in mind? People will be howling in outrage every year if clearly inferior teams made it out of the West.

Am I missing something?

EddieDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
How many games would the wildcard round be? I think best of 3 maybe 5 or else it adds up if there's going to be 4 more additional rounds.

HF007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
StringerBell

Should keep one of Columbus or Detroit in the west. Put Colorado in the Pacific and go 8-7 8-7. That way you can just have one crossover wild card in each conference instead of the crazy format they have now.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
EddieDingle

At least if the conferences were 8/7, and the top 3 teams in each division made it, plus two wildcards, it wouldn't be completely fair but it'd much fairer than 16/14.

EddieDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
How many games would the wildcard round be? I think best of 3 maybe 5 or else it adds up if there's going to be 4 more additional rounds.
From what I've read from McKenzie, is the wildcard would just be the next two best records in the conference making the playoffs. Whichever division leader has the most points plays the worst record of the two. 1 v 4, 2 v 3 to start the playoffs.

I grew up in a time where the league had a 14/12 split for a good part of my childhood. I'm not too worried about 16/14 or 8/8/7/7. Doesn't really bother me.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Calgary: "oh ****"

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Hate uneven conferences. Ridiculous.
Don't worry, the league will probably take care of that by adding 2 teams.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Regards to current:

I read (other reports) that crossing over is part of the discussion, so wild card winners will be properly slotted over lesser teams in other conferences. This will also set up the possibility for any team to play any team in the finals, including divisional/conference rivals.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
molsonmuscle360

I think the East having to deal with more teams is a fair trade off for them having a much easier travel schedule than the west.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Regards to current:

And playing one game vs a series makes a big difference. With a series it does not make sense to have teams going cross country 5 times in a 7 games series starting from the first round.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
Wild card might go either just by points or they are considering a 1 game playoff, winner gets the final seed. Apparently crossing over is also part of the plan.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
mrv52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak View Post
Don't worry, the league will probably take care of that by adding 2 teams.
and Quebec goes where?

mrv52 is offline   Reply With Quote