HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Woywitka

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2003, 07:18 PM
tommyb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
Just wondering about people's general opinion of him? I have seen him play twice in junior and I thought he was a terrific prospect, and I would actually compare him to Wade Redden (not as offensive, but bigger). This comparison was also made in the Hockey News Future Watch. You don't seem to notice him all game and yet he plays a ton and has a few pts. I read through my Hockey new Future Watch from the last few years and looked at prospect rankings and I would say he ranks right up there with Hamius, ahead of Komiserek (who couldn't even make a weak Montreal team, and Whitney(pens). Any thoughts? Anybody else see him play junior and have an impression?
Should be a very solid player for us. Maybe in a couple of years we can trade him away for draft picks.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Mckeens also loves him

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T.
I've been watching tapes of last years WJC and paying close attention to Jeff. But I cannot get a good read on what type of defenseman he is. Everything I read says that he is a guy that can support or lead the rush, and Brent Sutter compared his style to Brewer, but I just don't see it, I don't see the offensive upside that others do.

I see a potential 20-25 point man in the NHL, that plays his postition well, and does what is asked of him. I think he will hit, but will not go out of his way to take someone's head off. Personnally I see a defenseman that is very good at positioning, and has very good hockey sense.

The more I think about it the more I cannot compare him to anyone in the NHL. I think that he may be a mix of an Eric Brewer and a Robyn Regehr. Take a few qualities of each of those two, and you come up with Jeff Woywitka style IMO. I think he will be a very good #3-#4 defenseman and I would be very pleased with that.

By the way I am happy with the trade, and am glad that he is now in the Oilers system.

BTW I found this top 30 prospect list at: http://www.wowhockey.com/article1488.html
They really like him.
Rates him as an A prospect, 5 stars.

A smart, physical rearguard with solid all-around skills ... a very good skater with a long, powerful stride and improving mobility ... accelerates to top speed quickly ... makes crisp, pinpoint passes and sound outlet decisions ... a competent puckhandler with a hard, accurate point shot ... reads the game well and knows when to join in the rush ... effectively uses his good size and strength to clear the crease area ... tough and competitive in one-on-one encounters and consistently finishes his checks ... a tireless worker both on and off the ice ... must continue to refine his finesse skills and physical play.

A steady top-three blueliner who plays in all key defensive situations and on the second power play unit ... has 40-point NHL potential.

Closed Thread