HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
He earned his $4 M when he scored that OT goal.........
No. The Agile Beast earned it FOR him!

Old
02-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Your frustration is understandable, and we all pretty much share it. Unfortunately Jones's play so far is no different than what he does every year. He's just not gonna be that guy who can reliably score and play his position well. I think part of the reasoning to keep him was because the Avs just don't have a lot of options when it comes to scoring line wingers, and Jones, when he's on, brings the right balance of speed, grit, and scoring ability. It's just too bad we always have to put up with stretches where he looks completely lost.

I still like Jones, but I sure wish he'd be more consistent. I suppose if he was, he'd have cost a lot more than $4 million per.
Yea, that's really the issue. You take what you can get with Jones, and you know he's gonna be inconsistent, and not terribly helpful when he's scoring, but in the the end of an 82 game season, it's a pretty safe bet he'll get around 25 goals, and 50 points.

You can make all the arguments you can for whether that's worth $4M, but if it's a younger guy you're also taking a gamble on whether they'll be that guy too because they have less year to put on the table as proof.

In a shortened season like this, and where Jones hasn't started off all that great, it makes it look pretty bad. Given the makeup of this team, they definitely need a better top line winger than Jones though at some point in the near future. I think that's clear. From a goal scoring perspective who's really better than him? No one, and that's a problem. That's what is required IMO to take this team to the next level. That's what is required to take them to the level from a roster perspective.

When you have guys like Staz and Jones as top line player, that can't be relied upon as consistent offensive threats, and O'Reilly holding out, it's becoming a problem.

They need to find two big pieces, and as good as they are at patching holes like I've alluded to in other threads, that won' thelp them in this area. They need a top level offensive threat from a forward, and an offensive D. They won't get anywhere without those two pieces.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
No. The Agile Beast earned it FOR him!

Haha good point! The only good play those two will probably have all season....

I hope I'm wrong though.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, that's really the issue. You take what you can get with Jones, and you know he's gonna be inconsistent, and not terribly helpful when he's scoring, but in the the end of an 82 game season, it's a pretty safe bet he'll get around 25 goals, and 50 points.

You can make all the arguments you can for whether that's worth $4M, but if it's a younger guy you're also taking a gamble on whether they'll be that guy too because they have less year to put on the table as proof.

In a shortened season like this, and where Jones hasn't started off all that great, it makes it look pretty bad. Given the makeup of this team, they definitely need a better top line winger than Jones though at some point in the near future. I think that's clear. From a goal scoring perspective who's really better than him? No one, and that's a problem. That's what is required IMO to take this team to the next level.

When you have guys like Staz and Jones as top line player, that can't be relied upon as consistent offensive threats, and O'Reilly holding out, it's becoming a problem.

They need to find two big pieces, and as good as they are at patching holes like I've alluded to in other threads, that won' thelp them in this area. They need a top level offensive threat from a forward, and an offensive D. They won't get anywhere without those two pieces.
Perry

Old
02-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Perry
Definitely. And he's been a guy I would target for a long time being a RW, and a highly highly talented offensive player. I think he could be great with Staz, but it will be a tough sell for him to sign here over other teams. Other more qualified Cup contenders will probably also be more likely to pay more than the Avs. That's two strikes against.

I could see a team like Philly, or NYR landing him way before us.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Definitely. And he's been a guy I would target for a long time being a RW, and a highly highly talented offensive player. I think he could be great with Staz, but it will be a tough sell for him to sign here over other teams. Other more qualified Cup contenders will probably also be more likely to pay more than the Avs. That's two strikes against.

I could see a team like Philly, or NYR landing him way before us.
Yep. That's exactly how I feel. I would love to see the Avs bring him in, but he costs money, so we can forget it.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:43 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

i think perry is a pipe dream, why would he want to sign here, at the time i thought maybe we could be the ones to bring kovalchuk in, that didn't happen, and then parise which also didn't happen, not sure who perry would mesh with here either.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I like Perry but that type of player on a $7.5+M/year contract that last until he is 35? History teaches us you get very poor value for the dollars you spend on UFA forwards with a few exceptions (Hossa).

Old
02-26-2013, 06:54 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I like Perry but that type of player on a $7.5+M/year contract that last until he is 35? History teaches us you get very poor value for the dollars you spend on UFA forwards with a few exceptions (Hossa).
And the new CBA prevents you from signing more "Cap-Friendly" deals. And the only way we could have a chance is if we overpay for him.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

We have no shot at getting him, but please... Corey Perry is the real deal. There's almost zero long-term concerns with him. Yes, he's a *****, but that is part of what makes him so damn good. He's big, strong, healthy, can dominate games, is just at the elite level of forwards in the game and I don't see anything about his style that suggests it will drastically drop off into his 30s. Again, I don't think we stand a hope in hell of getting him(people say he wants a big market team), but I would have absolutely zero reservations about reversing the Brinks trucks into his driveway.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

The only way I can see us get Perry is if we sign Getzlaf also and trade Stastny and Radar for top 4 defensemen and that's not realistic at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
The only way I can see us get Perry is if we sign Getzlaf also and trade Stastny and Radar for top 4 defensemen and that's not realistic at all.
That is a dream scenario. Sign Getz and Perry to 8 year 7.5m deals: Trade ROR for Little + Trouba (dream trade) and Stastny for Sekera +.

Landeskog-Getz-Perry
McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Jones-Little-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordy

Sekera-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott
Zanon/SOB/Hunwick

Varly
JSG

That would be a pretty good lineup and that 1st line would be one that teams would just hate to face. Only in my dreams and in NHL 13.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
I would assume Getzlaf signs, and they trade Perry at the deadline.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

If I had to choose only one if I were Murray, I'd choose Perry without even thinking. Getzlaf is a legit top-line center, but Perry is one of the top players in the league.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
If I had to choose only one if I were Murray, I'd choose Perry without even thinking. Getzlaf is a legit top-line center, but Perry is one of the top players in the league.
I think you build down the middle. Iginla was one of the top players in the league for years, but they never built that team down the middle. Ducks already have Ryan in that RW position anyways. They need to keep Getzlaf.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I think you build down the middle. Iginla was one of the top players in the league for years, but they never built that team down the middle. Ducks already have Ryan in that RW position anyways. They need to keep Getzlaf.
They've been trying and have been reasonably successful using Bobby Ryan at the center position. They'll find a way to deal with Getzlaf's loss. But they don't have a suitable replacement for Perry. No one does.

It's true, I think a great 1-2 punch at center is essential for a Cup-winning team (though Chicago kinda/sorta bucked that trend) but bottom line, you don't let the better player go because you want to keep a top line center over an elite player.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Based on what what I've read Getlzaf is more rooted in Anaheim and is the one more likely to stay. Perry probably wants to move East to be closer to family.

I don't think Murray has much choice. He'll try everything he can to get them signed, but has to get at least one of them signed and trade the other at deadline. He lost Schultz and saw what happened with Suter/Parise. He can't afford to get nothing for these guys.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Haha, yea Perry and Getz would be unreal. Lets go to fantasy land hehe:

- Trade ROR + Stastny for Little + Trouba + 1st
- Trade Jones + Obrien to a top contender at deadline for a 1st or 2nd.
- Winnipeg finishes with the 10th overall pick, We finish with the 2nd Overall
- Draft Jones with our pick(a Team needing offense takes Mack 1st)
- Draft Shinkauruk/Mantha with Winnipeg's pick.
- Draft Klimchuck with either the late 1st or our early 2nd
- Sign Getz and Perry, 6 years 45M(7.5M AAv)
- Trade Hunwick for whatever we can get(probably a 2nd or 3rd).

Roster next season:

Landy - Getz - Perry
McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Little - Malkin - Downie
McCleod - Olver - Malone

Jones - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Wilson - Trouba

Varly

EDIT: Completely forgot about Little AND Trouba(lol) so take out the Clowe signing, and fill Little in for Clowe. Then take Hunwick out and replace him with Trouba.

That forwards group would reek havoc in the West, extremely gritty with a lot of offensive talent. Defense is still one the weak side for now, but give it a year for Jones to adjust to the NHL game, and replace Hunwick with a matured Elliott, and Wilson with Siemens, and the Defense is good. We would also have a solid prospect pool with Shinkaurk/Mantha, Sgarbossa, Elliott, Siemens, and Klimchuck added to the pool.

We would be a playoff team next year, and cup contenders very soon after IMO.

And..... Back to reality.

Last edited by Pierce Hawthorne: 02-26-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Roster next season:

Landy - Getz - Perry
McGinn - Duchene - PAP
Little - Malkin - Downie
McCleod - Olver - Malone

Jones - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Wilson - Trouba

Varly
I know it's just a pipe dream, but could you imagine a line of Landeskog-Getzlaf-Perry?

No defense in the league would want to be on the ice against them.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I know it's just a pipe dream, but could you imagine a line of Landeskog-Getzlaf-Perry?

No defense in the league would want to be on the ice against them.
Legion of Doom 2.0

Old
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Cole-Ryder swap. Clearing cap space for ROR

Old
02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Cole-Ryder swap. Clearing cap space for ROR
Yea, and Philly just added $3.5M in Gagne for some reason.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Yea, and Philly just added $3.5M in Gagne for some reason.
Maybe LA is making room for ROR, now that it looks like we won't be in the same division...

Old
02-26-2013, 05:45 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Maybe LA is making room for ROR, now that it looks like we won't be in the same division...
Doughty for ROR

Old
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:

In a shortened season like this, and where Jones hasn't started off all that great, it makes it look pretty bad. Given the makeup of this team, they definitely need a better top line winger than Jones though at some point in the near future. I think that's clear. From a goal scoring perspective who's really better than him? No one, and that's a problem. That's what is required IMO to take this team to the next level. That's what is required to take them to the level from a roster perspective.

I'm just curious as to when Jones put up 50 points? I wouldn't touch that bet with a 10 foot pole at this point.

Closed Thread