02-26-2013, 07:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Morrow better get traded for futures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisforaaron83 View Post
balls deep
I can't even scroll past this without laughing.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
@TheFourthPeriod

Stars GM Nieuwendyk anticipates "having lots of discussions w/ teams (on other deals). If something makes sense, we'll try to get involved."
Oh god...Benn for Penner?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
Oh god...Benn for Penner?
Oh please. We'd need at add Eriksson at the very least.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
BigG44

I was actually thinking this could make sense:

Quote:
There’s a possibility that Cole could see time on the first line with Jagr and Jamie Benn, where he’d be a more natural fit than Brenden Morrow. Expect to hear the aging captain’s name more frequently in trade rumors over the next few days.
We're being told trading Ryder was about getting something for a guy you weren't going to re-sign .. some safety since Cole has 2 years left. It's a hockey trade, and Dallas clearly thinks Cole is the better player/better fit for Dallas.

It's doubtful they are going to sign Morrow ... even Heika is speculating he's probably done after the season. Why not a hockey trade where Morrow goes for a D? It's unlikely to happen because of them being in the division this season, but SJ is looking for a LW and reportedly shopping roster D. Even though the Sharks seem unlikely, you could probably find a similar move.

Cole-Benn-Jagr
Fraser-Roy-Eriksson
Roussel-Eakin-Smith

Old
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I was actually thinking this could make sense:

We're being told trading Ryder was about getting something for a guy you weren't going to re-sign .. some safety since Cole has 2 years left. It's a hockey trade, and Dallas clearly thinks Cole is the better player/better fit for Dallas.

It's doubtful they are going to sign Morrow ... even Heika is speculating he's probably done after the season. Why not a hockey trade where Morrow goes for a D? It's unlikely to happen because of them being in the division this season, but SJ is looking for a LW and reportedly shopping roster D. Even though the Sharks seem unlikely, you could probably find a similar move.

Cole-Benn-Jagr
Fraser-Roy-Eriksson
Roussel-Eakin-Smith
No question Cole is a better all around player, and a great one to have. The trade though, is just wow...

I agree on Morrow. Would like to see him moved in a package deal to grab a defenseman.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
BigG44

How much will this place melt down when Dallas trades Morrow and a 3rd for Ballard?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
How much will this place melt down when Dallas trades Morrow and a 3rd for Ballard?
Hahahaha. I'd give up.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

The talk about Ballard brings up a good point... Everyone keeps saying "Joe needs to trade for a D-man" "we need an upgrade on D." Can someone name me a realistic target that wouldn't be derided by this fanbase?

The only way you can get an upgrade on D without giving up great prospects/roster players is taking a risk on a guy who might rebound with a change of scenery... like Ballad. You're not getting a guy like Bouwmester for Morrow + Robidas or something like that. No one wants our scraps, and no one on this board wants to trade the youth.

So tell me constant "Fire-Joe" and "Upgrade this D" people.. who do you want to target? Who are you willing to trade? Let's see some realistic proposals here.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Eh, I'm all for trading prospects if it's a hefty name coming back.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Eh, I'm all for trading prospects if it's a hefty name coming back.
I'd trade Smith, Faksa, Bystrom, Vincour, or Guptill if it's for a good player coming back.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'd take Ballard for Morrow.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
The only way you can get an upgrade on D without giving up great prospects/roster players is taking a risk on a guy who might rebound with a change of scenery... like Ballad. You're not getting a guy like Bouwmester for Morrow + Robidas or something like that. No one wants our scraps, and no one on this board wants to trade the youth.
Exactly. And even if Ryder was traded for a D like so many are saying they wish he had been, the return wouldn't have been as good as many are thinking it would be.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
The talk about Ballard brings up a good point... Everyone keeps saying "Joe needs to trade for a D-man" "we need an upgrade on D." Can someone name me a realistic target that wouldn't be derided by this fanbase?

So tell me constant "Fire-Joe" and "Upgrade this D" people.. who do you want to target? Who are you willing to trade? Let's see some realistic proposals here.
Funny you mention Bouwmeester because that's who I had in mind.

I know, we haven't seen the playoffs in a while and he NEVER has, but much like Gogo was supposed to do, J-Bo would step in and immediately be our #1 guy. He's durable and would be a great addition to our back end.

Would see no problem moving Morrow and a pick and/or prospect for him.

02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'd take Ballard for Morrow.
I would too, but people hear would riot. He's been an above average D the majority of his career (PHX and FL), and he's been very good again this year.

Vancouver fans don't seem to think the team would move him.

I was more commenting on how the fans would react.

A realistic scenario would be a Toronto D for Morrow. They're in playoff position, but it could be hard to convince Morrow to waive his NTC. Unless it Franson or Gunnarsson ... which seems unlikely .... Dallas fans would be disappointed.

If they could get Franson though ... a guy only playing 16 minutes ... and they are going to bring back Gardiner soon ... that would be a good trade for Dallas though.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Funny you mention Bouwmeester because that's who I had in mind.

I know, we haven't seen the playoffs in a while and he NEVER has, but much like Gogo was supposed to do, J-Bo would step in and immediately be our #1 guy. He's durable and would be a great addition to our back end.

Would see no problem moving Morrow and a pick and/or prospect for him.
That's not realistic though. Bouwmeester is only moving if the Flames sell ... another team that like Dallas has been reluctant to do. If they do sell, they'll get a pretty penny for him, and Morrow is not even remotely the type of player they'd value in a sell off.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

As good as Bouwmeester is I would rather just see what we have in our young players before committing to him for the next few years, nevermind the hefty price tag it would take to acquire him.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
As good as Bouwmeester is I would rather just see what we have in our young players before committing to him for the next few years, nevermind the hefty price tag it would take to acquire him.
Loui Eriksson + EDM's 3rd.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 PM
BigG44

If Cole prefers RW .... wouldn't it make some sense to slide Eriksson up to the Benn line? Cole and Whitney playing together with Roy would make some sense too when Whitney is healthy.

Until that point:

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Fraser-Roy-Cole
Morrow-Eakin-Smith

I know I was being a smart ass about the minuses, but Benn and Jagr could use a guy like Loui on that line after some rougher than normal nights for them. 2 of those goals in the 2 nights were terrible plays by the D or the goalie, but they made some mistakes of their own.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Honestly for Morrow I'd rather take a chance on whoever young guy the scouts say is good. I don't think Pittsburgh gives up Despres or Morrow but a guy like that is what I'd want. It has the option to blow up but a younger guy, even if he's a year away, with upside is better than a bottom pairing plug.

What about Nashville? They have a tremendously deep defense and are always on the lookout for offense. I'd add a pick to Morrow to get Blum out of there.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:12 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Honestly for Morrow I'd rather take a chance on whoever young guy the scouts say is good. I don't think Pittsburgh gives up Despres or Morrow but a guy like that is what I'd want. It has the option to blow up but a younger guy, even if he's a year away, with upside is better than a bottom pairing plug.

What about Nashville? They have a tremendously deep defense and are always on the lookout for offense. I'd add a pick to Morrow to get Blum out of there.
Depends on the pick and it most likely will be a 1st rounder because Morrow is definitely not going to sweeten NSH's buds enough to deal Blum away.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:30 AM
________

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
That's not realistic though. Bouwmeester is only moving if the Flames sell ... another team that like Dallas has been reluctant to do. If they do sell, they'll get a pretty penny for him, and Morrow is not even remotely the type of player they'd value in a sell off.
It's still amazing that Bouwmeester has never played in the playoffs. Would be something if that continues once he goes to another team.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:07 AM
Sports
McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

Trading Morrow within the conference... not gonna happen.
Joe does it hardly ever with your average player; he sure isn't going to trade the captain to a team he could be up against in the playoffs first round/again before the season is over.

I could see maybe Washington if they're looking to move him now-ish, unless they're scared of messing up a good thing with Ribs.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
I could see maybe Washington if they're looking to move him now-ish, unless they're scared of messing up a good thing with Ribs.
Morrow for Ovechkin.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:31 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Don't want another (grossly) underachieving and undersized d-man, although the above might be the right value. Ryder was the best chip we had to get a defenseman/d-prospect.

Closed Thread