HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Maelpj*

vCash: 500
Not a bad trade for 2 team

For Dallas:

No taxes in Texas for uncle Cole, might make him happier.
Playing with Big Jags might wake him up
They were going to lose Ryder probably
They suk at drafting so who cares about a third rounder

For the Habs:

Cole suked this year
Obvioulsy wasn't motivated to play with the Habs anymore
Was taking a lot of place on the cap
Ryder is a solid sniper, they don't loose offensively , and with the season Ryder is having this year, they win some
Right handed for the PP to replace the Peewee C ciment hand Gionta
3 round for timmins on a solid draft year

Old
02-26-2013, 07:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'm in love with this trade.

Ryder was as good as Cole last year and even better than Cole this year. Ryder is cheaper and a UFA. So he'll have to be lights out to get a new contract, which is excellent.

With the way Ryder is playing, he might even get bumped up to Plekanec's line, leaving Gionta to head down to line #3 forming a Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta third line, which should be a role Gionta is more effective in. (Even though I would have preferred a Gionta for Ryder deal.. but you have to give to get, I guess!).

We get a 3rd rounder on top of that? HOW?! Happy with this deal, even though I will forever remember Erik Cole throwing down a high-five to the referee.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
theschwab13

So im on the fence about this deal. I think we got the better end of it, however. Cole's contract was going to be a problem with the cap next year, and he seems to have lost a step. However he was a big body who we will mis, thats for sure. But for Ryder, we have a RIGHT handed bullet of a shot. One of the better shots in the NHL. He has turned it around and has played well here before, when Galchenyuk and Eller open up the ice, he will be there for the shot. And the 3rd round pick is also a plus! So..

Pros-
-We get more cap flexibility
-A pure goal scorer
-A 3rd round pick
-Help on the power play

Cons-
-We get smaller
-Lose a leader (however Ryder is also a vet)
-Lose a net presence

Lets hope this deal works out!!! GO HABS GO

Old
02-26-2013, 07:09 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Not 2013 Cole... he was not driving the net, was not going in the corners and was falling all over the place.
I guess they know what they are doing. He was probably really out of shape because he was involved in those meetings. Maybe he was bad in the room too, who knows.

But I'd rather have Cole than Ryder come playoff time. We just spent a decade trying to upgrade on size in the top 6, now we are back to square one.

Old
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 30
Wow this trade came out of nowhere

Cole was one of my favourites but his play this season was very disappointing. Looking at this deal money wise it is not bad at all. We get cap space now and nezt season which is great because the cap is coming down

Old
TennisMenace

My thoughts:
1. Cole will probably light it up in Dallas
2. Ryder never wowed me but he is decent
3. Glad to drop 9 million of salary
4. I hope more trades are coming

Old
02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
JustAHabFan

We lose grit with this trade but we free up cap space for a UFA signing this year. It's too bad that we do not have a young forward that we can promote because Ryder can fetch us a 1st round pick at the deadline.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
obvious he asked for a trade

Old
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I guess they know what they are doing. He was probably really out of shape because he was involved in those meetings. Maybe he was bad in the room too, who knows.

But I'd rather have Cole than Ryder come playoff time. We just spent a decade trying to upgrade on size in the top 6, now we are back to square one.
It's not that bad on the wing with Bourque and Pacioretty.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I'm not sure I like this and it's not due to the quality of both players but in terms of style. How does Ryder play nowadays? I remember him as a perimeter/high-slot player. We'll only have Bourque as a net-crashing big winger now. But hey, we're still rebuilding despite the results this year. We'll have young players to sign. I'll give Ryder his chance but I hope he has nothing to do with the player that used to try dekes all the time despite sucking at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Ryder is a lazy player, i was so happy when he was gone. I am happy that is UFA at seasons end. Maybe the plan is to go for a top talent FA this summer.
Do you guys watch a bit of NHL action outside of the Habs?? Ryder's carreer took a second breath when traded to the Bruins where Claude Julien (who already coached him in junior) took him under his wing and made him a better all around player.. Ryder will never be a Selke candifate but his game is much more complete than when he left and he is also a much more dynamic player.. He is a pure goal scorer who will help us scoring goals and inthe shootouts.. Ryder has been an important player in the Bruins' last cup run and has been a very good player for the Stars this season.. Considering how poor Cole has been playing this year, the third round pick coming with, there is no doubt in my mind the Habs made a big jump in the right direction.. Fine if Cole finds his game back with Dallas, he can be very useful when at his best but his mind was clealy not here anymore so, all in all thats a pretty good trade for us..

Old
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Andy

This is one of those trades where I can understand why people would take either positions. It's good, yet I don't think it's the right timing or fit, yet I am still happy.

Hard to get mad at MB on this one boys. I can understand maybe the disappointment and some of the short-term concerns, but I can also understand why it benefits long-term and possibly short-term.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
obvious he asked for a trade
Very possible he wanted out for x reason(s).

Old
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The good news is the Dogs are right near by if Ryder can't make it in and a forward is needed.

He should get there pretty fast though, Columbus is right near Toronto.

I think people are looking at the short term angle a bit too much here. Bergevin is clearly not that invested in this season. I mean, I am sure he's happy we're doing well, but he knows this is not the final product. It's about next season, and most likely 2014 and beyond.
This. MB is a crafty guy and he knows this upcoming draft will more than likely fill up our cupboard in a huge way. Add in the cap space for FAs and he's looking at us becoming a contender, as opposed to a playoff team. Most bad GM decisions in hindsight is overrating a successful year. And while we've had success, there's no need to rush to pile on additions for a possible cup run just yet.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This is one of those trades where I can understand why people would take either positions. It's good, yet I don't think it's the right timing or fit, yet I am still happy.

Hard to get mad at MB on this one boys. I can understand maybe the disappointment and some of the short-term concerns, but I can also understand why it benefits long-term and possibly short-term.
I am just worried by the timing of this trade. I would had waited next Monday, or wouod had done it last Sunday.

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I'm in love with this trade.

Ryder was as good as Cole last year and even better than Cole this year. Ryder is cheaper and a UFA. So he'll have to be lights out to get a new contract, which is excellent.

With the way Ryder is playing, he might even get bumped up to Plekanec's line, leaving Gionta to head down to line #3 forming a Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta third line, which should be a role Gionta is more effective in. (Even though I would have preferred a Gionta for Ryder deal.. but you have to give to get, I guess!).

We get a 3rd rounder on top of that? HOW?! Happy with this deal, even though I will forever remember Erik Cole throwing down a high-five to the referee.
I like it a lot as well.

Plus Cole really annoyed the crap out of me with his retirement comments before the season started. His lackadaisical efforts on the ice really furthered my annoyance with him. I knew he was a write off this season, and I was a little worried going into the future. Glad he's off the payroll. People say that we're not gonna do anything with the cap room but I'll give MB a chance to prove that he can.

Old
habtastic

ANy chance he plays against the leafs?

We NEEEEED a sniper tomorrow since we can't score for **** no matter how well we play. Seems like the system needs to be ingrained first, but I would kill to see him out there.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I think the biggest loss from Cole is someone who actually stood in front of the net.

Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post

Cole has done **** all in the playoffs, Ryder played a huge part in knocking us out on Boston's way to winning their Stanley Cup.

Old
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
@TheFourthPeriod

Cole had a 20-min convo with his wife, they then spoke with friends. Around 3:30pm ET they agreed to accept the trade to Dallas.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

is there a Michael Ryder Michel Therrien connection?

Old
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
With Pacioretty and Bourque we have 2 decent sized forwads who can drive the net. Our best snipers are Plekanec and Gallagher.. that's a little sad.. Ryder will help diversify our offense.
Pacioretty and Bourque are what made me okay with this trade but why I like it is we got some good options with Ryder, assuming he likes playing here. With a little over a month until the trade deadline and a thirty goal scorer, if he doesn't fit in I'm confident he can be flipped for another asset. If he maintains his thirty+ goal form, even better.

Old
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We send a pick as well....please nothing in the first 3 rounds of this year. Or whatever in 2014.
Au contraire, the Habs get the third rounder.

I wonder how Carbonneau feels about it after putting Ryder in solitary confinement and ruining his usefulness to the Habs.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I get your strong desire to stick to the Gauthier bandwagon to be 'different' but Cole hasn't played like last year. It's obviously a risk as Cole could come back and play excellent and Ryder could bust but this is a calculated risk. Cap going down, Cole getting older, it needed to be done. At same time, I thank Cole for what he gave us. His presence on the ice will be missed, he provided something we sorely lacked but this won't kill us. He didn't play his best this year. It may also wake up some vets like gionta.
Has nothing to do with Gauthier but I understand you have some weak ass agenda you need to get out there. Cole is "getting older" guess what, everyone in the world gets older muffin, tired cliches aren't anything special.

It has nothing to do with one "busting" or some other nonsense either, both are established players and we know what we will get with either. Cole had a slow start and we just gave up the only player that legitimately drove the net hard for a guy who will simply shoot. Ryder wont crash the net, he wont work the boards, he wont bring along the young guys but he should be good for some goals for sure. We become even less physical now at a time with Bourque out, Gallagher and Galchenyuk will now have to shoulder that missing portion of the game.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
is there a Michael Ryder Michel Therrien connection?
Not in the NHL.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Kirk Muller

After Coles crap spewwing in the off season, its quite possible management wanted him away from the team for just as much reason as his play this season.

Cole clearly didnt appear dedicated to the organization.

For those slamming on Ryder, he was as good as Cole last year and has shown better this year. Add in his contract expiring, its and added bonus for Montreal.

Closed Thread