HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
If Gagner maintains a PPG level, what makes anyone think he won't demand Eberle's contract? He's been in the league longer(he should have been returned to Junior's), but is less than a year older. I doubt he maintains this level, but if he manages to, there are going to be a lot of upset Oilers posters with what his new contract will be.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
I don't understand this - can you name a similar player, that brings as much to the table, who is at a similar point in his career, who signed for under 4M.

He is in my mind getting 4.5-5.25M per year. If the Oilers want to low ball him, which I doubt they do, he will sign a 1-year and walk.
Kane 6.3mil, Voracek 4.25mil, JVR 4.25mil, Couture 2.875mil, Patches 4.5mil, Perron 3.8mil, Sutter 2mil, Simmonds 3.975mil, Benn 5.25mil

Guys from Gagner's draft year.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Njoy Oilers

3 yrs at 4mil He can make up for the short fall working for my plumbing co. in the summer. $$

Old
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Fourier

Arbitration tends to reward players with high point totals. So if the Oilers let Gagner go to arbitration after a year where he has anywhere near a point per game they lose. In fact given that he will be a UFA after 1 year there is almost no chance they let him go to arbitration. As such they will either be forced to pay him or trade him.

For those who believe that Gagner is the right choice for the #2C going forward this year's results may not actually be the best thing for the cause. It is actually possible that too much success might hasten his way out the door if the Oilers remain unsure that he is the answer to the #2C spot. But assuming the plan is not to trade him, and based on his numbers staying near what they are I'd say that anything much under $5M might be a challenge to get him to sign.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

5 years 4.5 million. If i'm paying 5 million, I should be getting ROR. I like Gagner though.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Arbitration tends to reward players with high point totals. So if the Oilers let Gagner go to arbitration after a year where he has anywhere near a point per game they lose. In fact given that he will be a UFA after 1 year there is almost no chance they let him go to arbitration. As such they will either be forced to pay him or trade him.

For those who believe that Gagner is the right choice for the #2C going forward this year's results may not actually be the best thing for the cause. It is actually possible that too much success might hasten his way out the door if the Oilers remain unsure that he is the answer to the #2C spot. But assuming the plan is not to trade him, and based on his numbers staying near what they are I'd say that anything much under $5M might be a challenge to get him to sign.
If he stays on the pace he's set, how do you convince his agent that he should take less than Eberle, or the $6 million they are going to offer RNH?

Gagner kills penalties, and Eberle doesn't. They both play the PP.

The Oilers have a bit of a problem here.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
If he stays on the pace he's set, how do you convince his agent that he should take less than Eberle, or the $6 million they are going to offer RNH?

Not really.

Maybe they can get a bit more for him in a trade?

Old
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
I don't understand this - can you name a similar player, that brings as much to the table, who is at a similar point in his career, who signed for under 4M.

He is in my mind getting 4.5-5.25M per year. If the Oilers want to low ball him, which I doubt they do, he will sign a 1-year and walk.
I'm not convinced that he can maintain his production, that's why I'm worried.

Patrice Bergeron and Ryan Kesler make exactly 5m per year. I would take either one in a heart beat over Gagner.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:39 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

They overpaid Eberle a bit.

To be fair he scored 34 goals in his rookie year, lead the team in scoring 2 years in a row, was a plus player and was nominated for a major trophy.

But the Oilers will be buying more UFA years for Gagner, like I said earlier his agent is going to have all the bargaining power in this negotiation.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Fourier

Quote:

It is a problem. That is why his better numbers may actually speed up a trade.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
4x4.5

Old
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
5 years x $4.5m

Would be higher but I'm trying to adjust for new CBA

Old
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kane 6.3mil, Voracek 4.25mil, JVR 4.25mil, Couture 2.875mil, Patches 4.5mil, Perron 3.8mil, Sutter 2mil, Simmonds 3.975mil, Benn 5.25mil

Guys from Gagner's draft year.
These players average 4.13m/year.
Only 2 out of these 9 players have better stats than him
Based on two players having better stats than him at an average salary of 4.13m/year, he deserves 5.23m/ year.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
These players average 4.13m/year.
Only 2 out of these 9 players have better stats than him
Based on two players having better stats than him at an average salary of 4.13m/year, he deserves 5.23m/ year.
Ouch. I do not like that figure for Gagner at all. I'd much rather trade him for someone with more size.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
5 years x $4.5m

Would be higher but I'm trying to adjust for new CBA
If he was commited to the future of the teams success he would agree to this, if he wants money and whats best for him he does not. He needs to take home town discount of some type or the Oil will be forced to trade him. Scary time with salaries comming up next few seasons.

Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 02-26-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
$5 x 5 is what I would give him. It is affordable in the future and is tradeable if need be. Hopefully he would accept it but given his great season so far, who knows.
good God... one post in and already a mega fail

this team will never legitimately compete with Gagner as their 2C, unless they get some monsters to flank him. I don't care how many points he puts up. He's horrible on the dots, non existent physically, STILL hasn't proven he can put up over a full season consistently and is small. And without sounding like a complete hater, I will say that he isn't soft, has awesome character/attitude, competes on a nightly basis, and is generally speaking (at least in my opinion) a great team guy. They should hang onto him for now. But not for too much longer, something better has to arise.

Last edited by Philly85: 02-26-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Sam seems to our number one center by scoring points. He is producing point/game. I think he is asking both long term and big money. What is your opinion to following things.

1. How much?
I think that we do not have chance to get him under 5M. Otherwise he is taking us to arbitration and walk away as a UFA in 2014

2. How Long?
I think he is not going to accept less than 5 years

3. Should we trade him
I don't think so. He can be excelent number 2 center in the contending team. Only way we will trade him is if he asks Eberle and Hall equivalent money.

conclusion 5M for 5-6 years is optimal
Horcoff Sr. would approve of that contract.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 100
5/6 years, the most i'd give him is 4 mil per, but I'd be surprised if he accepts it, he'll probably want something around 5per.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
cyberpunk

No one is going to give us a bigger C unless we over pay, or there's sufficient problems with the player.

If we are going to keep gagner, i am thinking 6 years x 3.5-4 LNMC.

I think it's going to be closer to 4x4.

That being said, if we are looking at bigger C. We'll need to either draft/sign a bigger C or overpay for a C in a trade.

I think we should go after a big LW, we can use a big LW to create space going up the neutral ice.

Yes Gagner is good, but do you think any GM will give you a bigger C for a smaller C?

I think if we are going to keep the core 4/5, no player is going to make more than hall and ebs.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:25 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

HF's reply:

1- Too much
2- Too long
3- Yes, for an offensively anemic big C who can win face-offs 5% more often.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Eskimo44

5 years for 4.5 i think is doable, but i wouldn't delay too much if i were the Oil. I would have given him this deal in the offseason too, my opinion on him hasn't really changed. The scoring has been more of a confirmation than anything else.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:

Eberle's age and the fact he was top 15 in scoring over a full NHL season make it reasonable to argue Gagner is worth less on this deal. Eberle was 21 and a top 15 scorer, that's unreal. Gagner is 23 now, due to age and less games it's certainly a difference in accomplishment even if Gagner does end up around 15th in scoring through 48 games. Eberle's deal also came before the new CBA. Gagner can barter for at most 5 million over any kind of term assuming his production remains the same.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Nugent-Hopkins' offensive struggles and Gagner's impressive start have put us in a bad position. I really like Gagner's guts and character but I don't think that we can afford to give him 5 million plus with RNH poised to cash in (thus far undeservedly) this summer or next.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Matador

Gagner and his agent played this spectacularly. Will be one of the youngest free agents, should he choose to go that route in 2 years. Reminds me a lot of the Hartnell situation in Nashville. If Gagner wants, he can sign a 5-year contract and then another 5-year contract when he is 30. Will probably hit the UFA bank twice in his career.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm sure that Gagner likes it here and wants to win here... his character has never been in question but if I'm him I'm thinking long and hard about pulling the cord on my Oilers career at this stage. He's still really young but it's been five LONG years of losing. His buddy Cogs is certainly having fun in Anaheim.

Closed Thread