HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ya must be hard to trade a guy who scored 35 goals last year.
it was a bad contract from day one period

we overpaid and aging vet and MB fixed the problem

where are his 35 goals this year ? where is DD THIS YEAR

they caught the genie in the bottle and as good as they played

we got the third pick in the frken draft

great move , 4.5 mil a year in cap to use elsewhere

Old
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
thing is, Ryder is a WAY better P.O. performer than Cole.
Especially that F***ing glove save he made in the playoffs...

Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
I'm a big fan of this deal. We get younger and get a RH pure shooter which we desperately lacked outside of Gionta who is not getting any better.
I always liked Ryder in his time here.

I wonder if Gallagher gives up #73?

Cole of last year is gone and we can replicate that with Pacioretty and Eller to an extent.

Also love the cap flexibility this gives us.
Better not, Gallagher has earned it thus far.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I think the biggest loss from Cole is someone who actually stood in front of the net.
Time to give Darche a call.

Old
Mrb1p

This trade created holes and filled some.

Hole filled : Scoring touch.
Hole created: Loss of phisicality.

I think that Clowe could be a good target for us... Could we flip Gio and a pick/Prospect for him ?

I'd see us go deep with that.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Player-for-player, I don't like it...even with his slow start, we need players like Cole more than we need players like Ryder. And I really have to wonder about shaking up the chemistry of a team sitting on top of the Eastern conference.

However, if Bergevin figures the Cole we're seeing this year is the Cole we're going to get for the rest of his contract, I give him credit for cutting his losses while he can. Maybe in 2 years if Cole is still sucking it up for the Stars I'll be thankful we got out while we could.

It sort of seems like the Spacek-for-Kaberle deal but in reverse. Maybe a little short term loss for long term benefit. Although, if Cole and Ryder both keep playing the way they are now, it won't even be short term loss.

I wonder what Bergevin's plan is in the off season with the added cap space and the top-six winger slot now open. Hmmm..

Anyway I think my biggest concern is the timing. Any time you make a move like this when things are going so well for your team, it's a gamble. Hope it pays off.
My guess is management did feel Cole had lost his drive and became a different player as a result. Better to gamble on that hypothesis than end up saddled with a contract no one wants. If that is the case, I too give kudos for Bergevin being preemptive instead of the reactionary trades we were plagued by with Gainey and Gauthier.

Cole may be a notorious slow starter but something about his game just seemed completely off. Ryder has played reasonably well thus far. Since Cole has not contributed to the team's success. Ryder cannot do much worse.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
ANy chance he plays against the leafs?
Bergevin said a strong chance.

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Has nothing to do with Gauthier but I understand you have some weak ass agenda you need to get out there. Cole is "getting older" guess what, everyone in the world gets older muffin, tired cliches aren't anything special.

It has nothing to do with one "busting" or some other nonsense either, both are established players and we know what we will get with either. Cole had a slow start and we just gave up the only player that legitimately drove the net hard for a guy who will simply shoot. Ryder wont crash the net, he wont work the boards, he wont bring along the young guys but he should be good for some goals for sure. We become even less physical now at a time with Bourque out, Gallagher and Galchenyuk will now have to shoulder that missing portion of the game.
Do you suppose waiting until that contract may have become a problem is a better form of asset management?

We got a different set of skills for sure, but from Cole's current season, he wasn't doing all those great things with much effectiveness lately. It's all nice and dandy to say what Cole CAN do, but if he was doing them effectively, he wouldn't be traded.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
DenverHabsFan

Fantastic trade!!! I kept saying how Gally needs a garbage guy like Ryder. Hope they pair them. Just. Ecstatic.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
it was a bad contract from day one period

we overpaid and aging vet and MB fixed the problem

where are his 35 goals this year ? where is DD THIS YEAR

they caught the genie in the bottle and as good as they played

we got the third pick in the frken draft

great move , 4.5 mil a year in cap to use elsewhere
17 games in "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME SINCE LEADING THE TEAM LAST YEAR AND MENTORING DD/PACIORETTY?"

This is why hab fans are universally panned.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
I am just worried by the timing of this trade. I would had waited next Monday, or wouod had done it last Sunday.
Huh? Last week or next week would have been better than this week?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder could do some damage.

If only MB could find a way to get Ryan Clowe. This would help a lot.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Normand Flynn :

" Ryder can score 35 goals with a passer like Desharnais "

Yeah like DD is our best center

RDS
It doesn't say he's the best center, it says he's a good passer - which he does have the best vision on the team right now (well Galchenyuk will be better when he learns to control the game at his pace).

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
This trade created holes and filled some.

Hole filled : Scoring touch.
Hole created: Loss of phisicality.

I think that Clowe could be a good target for us... Could we flip Gio and a pick/Prospect for him ?

I'd see us go deep with that.
If Bergevin can pull that off I'm gonna lick his feet. Clowe is the exact kind of player you want if you want to start building a tough team.

Old
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Fantastic trade!!! I kept saying how Gally needs a garbage guy like Ryder. Hope they pair them. Just. Ecstatic.
73 and 73?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
HCH

Quote:
17 games in "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME SINCE LEADING THE TEAM LAST YEAR AND MENTORING DD/PACIORETTY?"

The Habs were in last place when Cole scored 35 goals... I think you are focusing too much on the player's production and not enough on the team's success.

Old
hogtownhabsfan*

This is a great deal. Replaces Coles production with Ryder (whose producing more), saves us money, and gives us a 3rd round pick.

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:

People didn't like the contract when it was signed. Cole delivered last year but the contract is always a concern.

FWIW, 17 games is over 1/3 of the season.

Nothing against Cole but cap was going down anyway. This gives us some flexibility. Capspace is nice and all but it depends what they do with it of course.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
ryanwb

Quote:

Man did you watch Cole this year? He was so bad I actually thought he was playing with a broken hip or something... A total lack of effort.

And it's not like he was good 18 games ago. He was good a year ago. He's not getting any younger and didn't show anything this season to make anyone believe that he had any desire to be in MTL let alone the NHL. Combine that with a 4.5/year deal for 2 more seasons and it is pretty clear this move is great. I wish Cole well, but he had to go.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
We lose grit with this trade but we free up cap space for a UFA signing this year. It's too bad that we do not have a young forward that we can promote because Ryder can fetch us a 1st round pick at the deadline.
Not that Ryder is made of sandpaper but I don't see how losing Cole makes us less gritty, if its not a wash its pretty close.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Do you suppose waiting until that contract may have become a problem is a better form of asset management?

We got a different set of skills for sure, but from Cole's current season, he wasn't doing all those great things with much effectiveness lately. It's all nice and dandy to say what Cole CAN do, but if he was doing them effectively, he wouldn't be traded.
From now on 1 year contracts at most, trade Price in case he falls apart, he is getting older you know. Pleks is 30 and no points in last 4 games? Get old balls out of here!

Cole played great with Galchenyuk and Eller, anyone with a clue saw the chemistry, Cole is notoriously a slow starter.

It is nice and dandy to jerk off about MB and hail him as some kind of god but there is a reason top rated teams don't tear their lineup apart when they are winning.

Old
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Just Joe being Joe.

Also, from Wikipedia;

Quote:
Has nothing to do with Gauthier but I understand you have some weak ass agenda you need to get out there. Cole is "getting older" guess what, everyone in the world gets older muffin, tired cliches aren't anything special.

It has nothing to do with one "busting" or some other nonsense either, both are established players and we know what we will get with either. Cole had a slow start and we just gave up the only player that legitimately drove the net hard for a guy who will simply shoot. Ryder wont crash the net, he wont work the boards, he wont bring along the young guys but he should be good for some goals for sure. We become even less physical now at a time with Bourque out, Gallagher and Galchenyuk will now have to shoulder that missing portion of the game.
Ryder will out produce cole 9 times out of 10. In the end, production matters the most. Coles intangibles are overrated, he's a whiny loud mouth, I'm glad we made this deal.

I thought I would be the only one in favour of this deal. I think we got the better player, the cheaper and shorter contract along with another 3rd pick for Timmins. I'm so happy about this trade, I prefer Ryder anyways, but from a cap/draft perspective, this is really great news IMO. Cole annoyed me, I'm glad he's not with the ch anymore

Welcome back Ryder!!!!!
Go Habs go!!!!

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I like it a lot as well.

Plus Cole really annoyed the crap out of me with his retirement comments before the season started. His lackadaisical efforts on the ice really furthered my annoyance with him. I knew he was a write off this season, and I was a little worried going into the future. Glad he's off the payroll. People say that we're not gonna do anything with the cap room but I'll give MB a chance to prove that he can.
We might not need to do anything with the cap room if Ryder scores 30-35 points this year. He's a 30-goal-scorer who might come on the cheap. I seem to remember him enjoying playing in MTL until his last season, so hopefully he produces and wants to stay.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
is there a Michael Ryder Michel Therrien connection?
Wasn't there one in Hamilton?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Andros777

Ryder has the ability to score some goals for us. And if he doesn't, then we're "stuck with" what Cole was giving us anyway and apparently this team can still win games anyway. At the end of the year his contract runs out and we can make a pitch to Perry.

Closed Thread