HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

British TV shows

Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
crane

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Man, '90 broke my heart. Such a good series/film.
Didn't know '90 was out yet. I'll look for it today. '86 and '88 were incredible though. I think the actress who plays Lol won a BAFTA for it...

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
First 2 seasons of Misfits are good. Goes downhill after that...

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
First 2 seasons of Misfits are good. Goes downhill after that...
should have ended after season 3, that would have been excellent ending

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
should have ended after season 3, that would have been excellent ending
A certain character needs to return to the show.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
The Mighty Boosh

[/thread]

British > American shows.
Tv is subjective, however The Might Boosh is one of the worst TV shows i've ever seen. Noel Fielding is the an abomination of a comedian. It's a niche show.

British TV is incredibly poor. The majority of my friends and myself don't watch British TV. I'm definitely a snob, but British TV is basically the perpetuation of abysmal reality TV, rehashed comedy shows and mediocre detective shows.

Most British comedy is currently slapstick nonsense, or the attempted rehashing of the Inbetweeners in a marginally different format. Shows like Fresh meat are incredibly ordinary.

Top Gear was excellent, but the past few seasons are pretty medicore, outside of road trips they all do together, which seem far more natural (if still very scripted).

Doctor Who is an abomination of a show.

Peep show is excellent, and there are a variety of excellent comedy shows from the early 2000's (Coupling for instance). However, British TV today is by and large awful.

I don't doubt American TV is similar, but at least it has some shows of undoubted quality. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, early seasons of Lost, The Wire etc infinitely beat any drama series on British television.

Edit ; there are watchable panel shows, although the best of those is now pretty bad due to the loss of Boyle.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
Didn't know '90 was out yet. I'll look for it today. '86 and '88 were incredible though. I think the actress who plays Lol won a BAFTA for it...
Whoops, ya I meant '88.

Apparently '90 is on hold til Shane Meadows finishes a Stone Roses doc.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
As previously mentioned, Luther is a great police show. The BBC adaptation of Wallander with Kenneth Branagh as the title character is also a very, very good.

And I agree with what has been said about panel shows, the British are masters at that format. QI is hilarious.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Tv is subjective, however The Might Boosh is one of the worst TV shows i've ever seen. Noel Fielding is the an abomination of a comedian. It's a niche show.

British TV is incredibly poor. The majority of my friends and myself don't watch British TV. I'm definitely a snob, but British TV is basically the perpetuation of abysmal reality TV, rehashed comedy shows and mediocre detective shows.

Most British comedy is currently slapstick nonsense, or the attempted rehashing of the Inbetweeners in a marginally different format. Shows like Fresh meat are incredibly ordinary.

Top Gear was excellent, but the past few seasons are pretty medicore, outside of road trips they all do together, which seem far more natural (if still very scripted).

Peep show is excellent, and there are a variety of excellent comedy shows from the early 2000's (Coupling for instance). However, British TV today is by and large awful.

I don't doubt American TV is similar, but at least it has some shows of undoubted quality. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, early seasons of Lost, The Wire etc infinitely beat any drama series on British television.

Edit ; there are watchable panel shows, although the best of those is now pretty bad due to the loss of Boyle.
I knew it was only a matter of time before you would show up and ruin the thread for everyone

Old
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:

Hahaha, come and watch American TV. All of it is fake reality shows.....oh and this,

Plus you're wrong based on factual evidence, The Mighty Boosh is one of the best shows ever.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
The Mighty Boosh is terrible. Noel Fielding is not funny and is an awful person.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
crane

Only thing I've ever liked from the Mighty Boosh is this gem.

terrific.

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:51 PM
nudie

Skins is amazing, watch first 2 seasons.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
I knew it was only a matter of time before you would show up and ruin the thread for everyone
Are you the opinion police?

Old
02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Hahaha, come and watch American TV. All of it is fake reality shows.....oh and this,

Plus you're wrong based on factual evidence, The Mighty Boosh is one of the best shows ever.
Noel Fielding is the worst comedian to ever grace this planet. I cannot fathom how he's a made a career from laughter. In a sense, i have to give props to him, because it literally makes no sense to me.

It's easier to align gravity in a common theory than it is to understand how Noel Fielding has made any human being laugh.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
gunners14henry

An Idiot Abroad is hilarious

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:07 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
An Idiot Abroad is hilarious
Karl Pilkington is my favourite man alive.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Noel Fielding is the worst comedian to ever grace this planet. I cannot fathom how he's a made a career from laughter. In a sense, i have to give props to him, because it literally makes no sense to me.

It's easier to align gravity in a common theory than it is to understand how Noel Fielding has made any human being laugh.
Comedy is subjective.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:30 PM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Karl Pilkington is my favourite man alive.
Yes he is lol. The best thing about him is that he isn't even trying to be funny, he's just being himself.

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
40oz

Quote:
He's not wrong though (except the Noel Fielding bit). British TV is the same as TV everywhere else in the world, you have to dig through mountains of crap to find a few gems.

That's why threads like these are important, because how else are North Americans going to find the good British shows? We just get terrible Americanized remakes.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I may have missed a mention or two but I don't think any of these have been put forward yet:

Father Ted
The Day Today
Brass Eye
Charlie Brooker's Wipe series (screenwipe, newswipe, 2012wipe, etc)
Have I Got News For You (my favourite panel show, the odd dud episode but it's worth watching for Paul Merton alone, never mind Hislop, the guest hosts and some of the guests).
Never Mind The Buzzcocks (back when they weren't so keen to be polite to everyone)
TV Burp (got a little tired towards the end but there was some fantastic stuff on that show).
Being Human (the first few years at least)
Armstrong and Miller

And if anyone is interested in documentaries, check out Horizon. Some of the eps are of little interest to me but the space/physics/math themed ones are excellent IMO. Then there is anything with Sir David Attenborough and Prof. Brian Cox has done some good shows too.

Edit: Forgot Charlie Brooker's How TV Ruined Your Life

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 02-26-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
He's not wrong though (except the Noel Fielding bit). British TV is the same as TV everywhere else in the world, you have to dig through mountains of crap to find a few gems.

That's why threads like these are important, because how else are North Americans going to find the good British shows? We just get terrible Americanized remakes.
But the OP was asking what other shows like Misfits are good, the thread is about recommending good shows to watch, not being a miserable negative nancy sitting on your high horse and ranting about how terrible British TV is and being condescending towards anyone who likes those shows.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
madvie
female habs fan

I love Being Human, but the first three series are definitely the best. I think anyone that loves Buffy/Angel would appreciate this.

madvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
But the OP was asking what other shows like Misfits are good, the thread is about recommending good shows to watch, not being a miserable negative nancy sitting on your high horse and ranting about how terrible British TV is and being condescending towards anyone who likes those shows.
J17 Vs Proclamation's POV is really silly (and you know he's out to lunch because he called Doctor Who an "abomination"), but I'd say there is a pretty significant pretentiousness about British TV from both UK and North American fans about the UK's inherent superiority, and it's kind of hard to take seriously when you actually look at a schedule. The crap just doesn't make it out of the UK the same way it does the US.

One thing I do love about British TV in contrast to American TV are all the variety and trivia shows with stand-up acts. QI is still my favorite.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
J17 Vs Proclamation's POV is really silly (and you know he's out to lunch because he called Doctor Who an "abomination"), but I'd say there is a pretty significant pretentiousness about British TV from both UK and North American fans about the UK's inherent superiority, and it's kind of hard to take seriously when you actually look at a schedule. The crap just doesn't make it out of the UK the same way it does the US.

One thing I do love about British TV in contrast to American TV are all the variety and trivia shows with stand-up acts. QI is still my favorite.
Good point. You aren't subjected to the torment of the likes of The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea. While we were subjected to Jersey Shore