HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
The Habs were in last place when Cole scored 35 goals... I think you are focusing too much on the player's production and not enough on the team's success.
The Habs are in first place now, I think you are focusing too much on the players production and not enough on the teams success.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

As long as Ryder can pump a hat-trick tomorrow...I'm good with this trade.

This is one of those... gotta wait and see trades, it's got a strange vibe to it.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Bullsmith

I have to say upon reflection, it's hard to criticize this trade. Ryder's considerably outproduced Cole this season, so it's hard to say it makes the team seriously weaker this season. Next season we're free of Cole's salary for the both the years most people thought made the deal a bad one and have picked up a 3rd round pick that could be fairly high.

If you can overpay on the UFA market, get your money's worth or more for a season or two and then turn the contract into a third rounder plus a rental replacement for your lineup, you're doing something right.

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Had the habs not aquired kaberle and let spacek's contract expire, I wonder if this move would have been done. That's over 4 million dollars of space just rotting

I have nothing against Ryder. I just think Cole was a better fit. But we know there is more to this than a simple hockey deal

Old
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Wasn't there one in Hamilton?
pre-Hamilton, MT was his coach (along with Markov) with the Citadelles.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
From now on 1 year contracts at most, trade Price in case he falls apart, he is getting older you know. Pleks is 30 and no points in last 4 games? Get old balls out of here!

Cole played great with Galchenyuk and Eller, anyone with a clue saw the chemistry, Cole is notoriously a slow starter.

It is nice and dandy to jerk off about MB and hail him as some kind of god but there is a reason top rated teams don't tear their lineup apart when they are winning.
When did I hail MB as a god? Funny, a guy who says I have an agenda isn't even targeting the right person with his own.

What do you expect me to tell you? Instead of sticking to the discussion you exaggerate to mask the reality.

Cole isn't a bad guy, just wasn't performing to expectations. I did not expect him to get traded nor have I asked for it this season(check my history). It's a matter of circumstance, it is done and it gives us more flexibility.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
My guess is management did feel Cole had lost his drive and became a different player as a result. Better to gamble on that hypothesis than end up saddled with a contract no one wants. If that is the case, I too give kudos for Bergevin being preemptive instead of the reactionary trades we were plagued by with Gainey and Gauthier.

Cole may be a notorious slow starter but something about his game just seemed completely off. Ryder has played reasonably well thus far. Since Cole has not contributed to the team's success. Ryder cannot do much worse.
Indeed...it strikes me as a very "proactive" trade, and there's always a measure of risk involved when you make a trade like that.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Now the big question...

Bourque - Plekanec - Ryder
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gionta

or

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Ryder

Old
HCH

Quote:
From now on 1 year contracts at most, trade Price in case he falls apart, he is getting older you know. Pleks is 30 and no points in last 4 games? Get old balls out of here!

Cole played great with Galchenyuk and Eller, anyone with a clue saw the chemistry, Cole is notoriously a slow starter.

It is nice and dandy to jerk off about MB and hail him as some kind of god but there is a reason top rated teams don't tear their lineup apart when they are winning.
Whoa

Old
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
The Habs are in first place now, I think you are focusing too much on the players production and not enough on the teams success.
Huh?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
not quite yoda

my question is: did cole request to be traded so his daughter could go to an english school? he hinted towards retiring for this reason and he has a no trade clause.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Why not include the players on the team that would actually fit Cole's age group: Markov, Kaberle, Gionta

What's your opinion on Gionta's drop off from back to back 30 goal production with the Habs? Some people think it's because of his age as it's not abnormal for players production drop as they approach the mid 30s.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
JohnnyReb

We now have Ryder and a bunch of second rounders to play with! Re-acquire Halak and Crosby is as good as ours!

Old
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
my question is: did cole request to be traded so his daughter could go to an english school? he hinted towards retiring for this reason and he has a no trade clause.
Bergevin said no.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
No and besides there are tons of private english schools in and around Montreal.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Schwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Not a fan at all... Cole was physical and a powerforward...

Maybe we are saving money for Perry this summer... One can hope.
No he sure wasn't! Cole fell down a LOT, didn't get involved physically and hasn't been able to play with anyone. I don't know what games you've been watching.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Et le But

Since Gainey was hired by the Stars, Ribeiro, Souray and Ryder were all moved.

Next step, Gionta for Eriksson?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Craig71

MB has a pair thats for sure. I hope this works for us, Ryder has a great shot and can hopefully finish, last night showed a need for some more of that. Cole was not getting it done this year so MB made a brilliant salary dump with the future in mind. Just wondering about Cole's ice time vs Ryders? I hope someone can answer.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

It was probably mentionned in this thread but Ryder immediately become our best scorer , tied at 14pts with Pac (who has less games played though).

2nd best goal scorer behind Plek

I know he doesn't bring the physical aspect that Cole did but offensively it's certainly not too shabby

Old
02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
capebretoncanadien

Ryder left here on a bad note he was basically useless in his final year.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that year I'm sure there are lots of us here that remember that skid.

Cole was just picking it up and looked real nice with Eller and Galchenyuk. He doesn't look anywhere near done to me I don't really understand the move. He was trying out there. I thought his puck handling was pretty much garbage though. Couldn't make a pass to save his life. Ryder is more savvy in that department at least.

Anyway we shed the cap hit so maybe there's greater things than Cole/Ryder in mind.

We'll see how it goes. I'm kinda blah about it though.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

What people have to understand about this is beyond the fact that we got a 3rd rounder, beyond the 2 years after this one of 4.5 million on the books with cole, and beyond the fact that ryder is UFA this year and gives us whatever option we want to choose there......Erik Cole is a player who made his game on speed...not hands...speed. thats how he has success.....ryder is a player who's game revolves around his hands.....now....you tell me, from what we have seen in this league...which one of these guys is gonna have more success going forward from now...they 32 year old with hands or the 34 year old with legs.....here's a hint...it's guys with hands.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Ryder left here on a bad note he was basically useless in his final year.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that year I'm sure there are lots of us here that remember that skid.

Cole was just picking it up and looked real nice with Eller and Galchenyuk. He doesn't look anywhere near done to me I don't really understand the move. He was trying out there. I thought his puck handling was pretty much garbage though. Couldn't make a pass to save his life. Ryder is more savvy in that department at least.

Anyway we shed the cap hit so maybe there's greater things than Cole/Ryder in mind.

We'll see how it goes. I'm kinda blah about it though.
Ryder is a way better player now than 4 years ago.

My only concern: does he still love the bars and the girls ofvMontreal too much ?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
17 games in "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME SINCE LEADING THE TEAM LAST YEAR AND MENTORING DD/PACIORETTY?"

This is why hab fans are universally panned.
Bergevin should have made sure Cole has regressed 100% so he would 100% not get anything of value in return.

Bergevin felt this is a reasonable risk to take 19 games into the season. Can we wait 1 game before raging on something that seems even on paper? I guess you are showing off your 'hab fan'.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Hmm, I'm not convinced Cole is done, so I'm not sure ow I feel. Cole should have bee an important piece for the team. On the other hand, with Gio's struggles, we really needed a sniper/finisher. Ryder can be that guy. He's also been better than Cole this year. Add in the fact that it gives us greater flexibility to go after a Perry or a Clarkson and it has the potential to be a very good deal.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Kriss E

Didn't really see that coming, and certainly didn't think Ryder was a Bergevin type of player.
I think this was more about a contract move, and a preemptive one due to two extra years.

This has business decision written all over it. It creates room for the Habs if ever they want to acquire a bigger player before the deadline, or summer with Kaberle probably coming off the cap again.

Ryder has been producing well as of late, so if he can keep it up, it might end up working out for us.
Not to mention we also added to the nice mix of draft picks we have for this summer.

Closed Thread