HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How/what to name 4 re-aligned groupings?

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Atlantic, East, Midwest/Central, Pacific is the obvious choice

Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
They can't call the ne+Florida the East because they are already in the eastern conference.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well, for whatever it's worth, NHL.com is backing LeBrun by the composition and the names of the realignment he tweeted about.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657635

East = Atlantic & Central
West = Midwest & Pacific

.... seriously, I know it's a minor gripe, but drop the "Midwest," name that division the Central, and come up with some other name for the other eastern division.
no kidding when i think of midwest manitoba, colorado, texas do not come to mind.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
no kidding when i think of midwest manitoba, colorado, texas do not come to mind.
Manitoba is essentially the "midwest"-ern province in Canada. No one in Canada uses the term "midwest" but I would say Manitoba fits in there quite nicely.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

vCash: 500
Winnipeg is basically directly north of Minneapolis

in what way is that not "mid-west"

Old
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Winnipeg is basically directly north of Minneapolis

in what way is that not "mid-west"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Manitoba is essentially the "midwest"-ern province in Canada. No one in Canada uses the term "midwest" but I would say Manitoba fits in there quite nicely.
Because the Midwest refers to a specific region of the United States, which Manitoba is not a part of.

If we were talking about just a single non-Midwestern team being in the division, not a big deal. But for 4 of the 7 to not be Midwestern in a "Midwest Division?" Only suggests that the people in the NHL head offices don't know jack about geographic regions.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Because the Midwest refers to a specific region of the United States, which Manitoba is not a part of.

If we were talking about just a single non-Midwestern team being in the division, not a big deal. But for 4 of the 7 to not be Midwestern in a "Midwest Division?" Only suggests that the people in the NHL head offices don't know jack about geographic regions.
Yeah, I already get that it's an American term, however my point is that Manitoba is pretty much Midwestern as well, just in Canada.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:07 PM
tsanuri

Quote:

But if you look at what is considered the midwest the only thing truly west about it is the fact that it is west of the east coast.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Bullwine85

Name the divisions Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael.

On a more serious note, the Geographic names will do

Old
02-26-2013, 08:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Yeah, I already get that it's an American term, however my point is that Manitoba is pretty much Midwestern as well, just in Canada.
That's nice, but irrelevant. It's still makes no sense to name a division after something that doesn't apply to over half the teams in the division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
But if you look at what is considered the midwest the only thing truly west about it is the fact that it is west of the east coast.
Uh.... so? That's true of any region named after a direction. Doesn't change the fact that the region I highlighted is the Midwest, so having a division named after the region when over half of the markets that will be represented within it aren't part of the Midwest makes no sense.

Central makes far more sense in every way for that division. Not to mention that the majority of the soon-to-be-old Central will be part of the new Midwest.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
That's nice, but irrelevant. It's still makes no sense to name a division after something that doesn't apply to over half the teams in the division.
Dude. I was only commenting from the Winnipeg perspective. I'm not saying it makes sense to have it called "Midwestern" but that Manitoba is a Midwesternish area.

That is all I'm saying. No need to try and prove me wrong. It's not an argument or even a debate.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Dude. I was only commenting from the Winnipeg perspective. I'm not saying it makes sense to have it called "Midwestern" but that Manitoba is a Midwesternish area.

That is all I'm saying. No need to try and prove me wrong. It's not an argument or even a debate.
Sure, I suppose.... but that's about akin to saying that upstate New York is New England-ish because of proximity. Think you'd get more confused looks than anything else, even with the obvious cultural similarities between the Midwest and Great Plains U.S. and the Prairie Provinces of Canada.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Sure, I suppose.... but that's about akin to saying that upstate New York is New England-ish because of proximity. Think you'd get more confused looks than anything else, even with the obvious cultural similarities between the Midwest and Great Plains U.S. and the Prairie Provinces of Canada.
Okay.

Like I said, Winnipeg is a "midwestern-ish" area.

That is all.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:31 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Names aren't going to work in today's day and age. You think Flyers and Rangers will want to play in a Lemieux Division?
If I was in the NHL I'd play in the Gretzky division and I'd be overjoyed to be playing for Los Angeles or San Jose and I'd shut up and play without giving the division name much thought at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

the midwest isn't a real thing... it's not like there's a statutory dentition of it that explicitly excludes canada

it's kind of a farce to pretend that ohio is in the same region as kansas

Old
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
the midwest isn't a real thing... it's not like there's a statutory dentition of it that explicitly excludes canada

it's kind of a farce to pretend that ohio is in the same region as kansas
Actually, "Midwest" is a recognized term by the U.S. Census Bureau, so.... there actually is a statutory definition for it as one of the nation's four census regions as recognized by the governmental agency actually responsible for that sort of thing.

So, according to the United States government, Kansas and Ohio actually are in the same region.... granted, different divisions.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Actually, "Midwest" is a recognized term by the U.S. Census Bureau, so.... there actually is a statutory definition for it as one of the nation's four census regions as recognized by the governmental agency actually responsible for that sort of thing.

So, according to the United States government, Kansas and Ohio actually are in the same region.... granted, different divisions.

So if they have to move Detroit or Columbus into this division to accommodate Quebec when the time comes, the name is already set

Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^
This

Honestly the Gretzky , Howe , etc idea is awful
Yeah, let's name the Western divisions after a bunch of rich Eastern owners that never even played the game. Oh and we can name one of the Eastern divisions after a former Rangers' GM but completely gloss over the fact that he built the game from nothing in the West.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
CH3NO2

Col Saunders
Bettman
Jacobs
Pocklington

Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
If the Rangers end up playing in a division named after a person not named Patrick, I'm not going to call the division by their official name.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Hull and Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe

Is there really any other answer?

Clarence Campbell Conference
Prince of Wales Conference
Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe Divisions

Soooo easy, NHL. You can undo a few decades of utter ******** in one fell swoop. Get the Nords and the Whale back in the league (you already made the right move with the Jets) and it's going to start looking closer to the early 90s again. It's the right choice. That was the last time hockey was awesome.
I agree with every single thing in this post.

Whatever happens, at least we'll be rid of that "Southeast Division" once and for all.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Noldo

I have to think that from marketing perspective it cannot be a good thing if simple preseason topics like "Who are early favorites to win Norris?" or "Who will get Adams this season?" are not self explanatory.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
jughead42

I want to see the return of the chuck norris division. Of course that would see the return of Adams, Patrick, and Smythe. I was annoyed when they did away with it, bring a tradition back. I don't want to see former players as the division names, they are honored in their own ways already. I think its pretty lame if Calgary fans are forced to say their team is in the Gretzky division when he killed them all the time. How would the Leaf fans like being in the Richard division? I can tell you as a Leaf fan it would make me puke. Bring back tradition.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:17 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
I have to think that from marketing perspective it cannot be a good thing if simple preseason topics like "Who are early favorites to win Norris?" or "Who will get Adams this season?" are not self explanatory.
I would rather they rename the trophies after players like gretzky and orr if they had to have different names from the divisions. It has to be norris, smythe, adams and patrick.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Name the divisions after the leagues greatest Commissioners. Calder, Campbell, Ziegler, Bettman.

or Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water.

Closed Thread