HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

vCash: 500
It really would be best for his development for Forbort to forgo his senior year and go to Manch.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I probably did have you mistaken for another poster who rips on the Forbort pick every chance he gets, mainly due to Tarasenko being in the NHL now and Forbort still being in college.

While it is possible for him to be another Ellerby (who was a projected top 10 defenseman in his draft class), I see a difference in their games. Forbort seems more composed on the ice. Maybe not so much in last years WJC, but he's getting better. Highlights from last night:

Forbort's wrister lead to UND's second goal. Looked good walking the line on the blueline and getting his shot through a screen. My only concern with Forbort is him spending another season at UND. He needs to be in Manchester next season.
Your thinking of Akay....he used to use Etem as his evidence of it being a bad pick. But now his stock has somewhat dropped he uses VT....

And to add to the above, DF doesn't need to be DD...but hopefully he is good enough to be his partner for the next decade...5 goals 15 assists while logging 20+ hard mins would be great.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:08 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard, Forbort wants to get his degree and finish his career with UND, meaning going back for his senior year. Either way, I don't give two ****s how his offensive game develops frankly as we have Doughty, Voynov, and Martinez in that role. What we really need from him is to be able to use his size, stick, and positioning and be solid defensively. Would offense be nice? Yes. But we don't need it.

Old
02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Rommel

Nice goal by Prokhorkin. 1st PO goal(KHL)

Old
02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Colin Miller netted his 16th goal of the season last night. Over a PPG as defenseman.

Also the captain of the team.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Your thinking of Akay....he used to use Etem as his evidence of it being a bad pick. But now his stock has somewhat dropped he uses VT....

And to add to the above, DF doesn't need to be DD...but hopefully he is good enough to be his partner for the next decade...5 goals 15 assists while logging 20+ hard mins would be great.
Yeah, that was definitely me. I didn't like Forbort pick back then and I still don't. Lombardi also took Hickey and Teubert higher than they should've gone, remember that. Etem or Tarasenko would've been the right pick. It's easy to say that now but I've been saying it since draft night, even though Emerson Etem hasn't done much for Anaheim, at least he's dressed up for them. We can't say the same for Forbort. I hope it works out for us but it would be nice to have Tarasenko in the lineup right now.

Forbort will probably stay at North Dakota, which sucks for us, because that means he probably won't crack the lineup for another 2-3 years lol. He was picked in 2010.... We're looking at a 5-6 year project here.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:47 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

If Forbort wasn't in college he may have suited up for us by now, but he went that route, not junior like Etem. If Etem had gone to college he would still be there likely as well.

Tarasenko, yeah, that'd have been nice, but it's not like we were the only team to pass him over. And DL does his homework on his russian players, so he either felt Tarasenko may not come over, or that he just wasn't worth the pick at the time. No biggy. It happens throughout the draft. Considering how DL and crew have done at the draft over the eyars, I'm quite fine with things. I'll also wait until Forbort plays (at least) one pro season before judging him fully.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Yeah, that was definitely me. I didn't like Forbort pick back then and I still don't. Lombardi also took Hickey and Teubert higher than they should've gone, remember that. Etem or Tarasenko would've been the right pick. It's easy to say that now but I've been saying it since draft night, even though Emerson Etem hasn't done much for Anaheim, at least he's dressed up for them. We can't say the same for Forbort. I hope it works out for us but it would be nice to have Tarasenko in the lineup right now.

Forbort will probably stay at North Dakota, which sucks for us, because that means he probably won't crack the lineup for another 2-3 years lol. He was picked in 2010.... We're looking at a 5-6 year project here.
And this is different from what people expected how?

Old
02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

Teubert was picked where he was ranked. Forbort too.

And who cares if he's a 5-6 year project? Not many defensemen make the NHL before 24, and if they do, they still have consistency issues often

Old
02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Teubert was picked where he was ranked. Forbort too.

And who cares if he's a 5-6 year project? Not many defensemen make the NHL before 24, and if they do, they still have consistency issues often
That may have been the case about ten years ago, but if a first rounder isn't in the NHL 6-7 years after he is drafted then he probably never will be.

Forbort was the right pick at the time, the problem is his offensive game has just never developed at UND. He was not Colten Teubert, there was some upside there but it just hasn't happened for him offensively.

The Kings draft amazingly well in the second, third and fourth rounds. Not much to write home about with first rounders though.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
That may have been the case about ten years ago, but if a first rounder isn't in the NHL 6-7 years after he is drafted then he probably never will be.

Forbort was the right pick at the time, the problem is his offensive game has just never developed at UND. He was not Colten Teubert, there was some upside there but it just hasn't happened for him offensively.

The Kings draft amazingly well in the second, third and fourth rounds. Not much to write home about with first rounders though.
That's the problem with our drafting. LA needs to start getting some Superstar talent in the first rounds as opposed to the solid 2-4th line types and depth dmen in 2-7th rds. Though Voynov is looking like a true Gem!

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
That's the problem with our drafting. LA needs to start getting some Superstar talent in the first rounds as opposed to the solid 2-4th line types and depth dmen in 2-7th rds. Though Voynov is looking like a true Gem!
It's kind of challenging to draft superstar talent when you aren't selecting in the top 5. That's usually where you'll find that type of caliber of player. It's very uncommon and rare to find prospects in the later rounds who break out into superstars like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Those two are the exception.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
It's kind of challenging to draft superstar talent when you aren't selecting in the top 5. That's usually where you'll find that type of caliber of player. It's very uncommon and rare to find prospects in the later rounds who break out into superstars like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Those two are the exception.
While that's true, we really will seem to never find one because of the way we draft. We draft guys that are more well rounded prospects and more on the "safe" side. I'd like to see us go for more boom or bust picks, sort of like Ebert but more offensive guys. Looking at you, Anton Slepyshev. Draft more people with high end upside.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
While that's true, we really will seem to never find one because of the way we draft. We draft guys that are more well rounded prospects and more on the "safe" side. I'd like to see us go for more boom or bust picks, sort of like Ebert but more offensive guys. Looking at you, Anton Slepyshev. Draft more people with high end upside.
I think they've taken some chances in the mid-later rounds on players like that with Loktionov, Kitsyn, Prokhorkin. How many superstars have been drafted out of the first round the past couple of years? It rarely happens.

But I think I get what you're saying in that it isn't often the Kings go for a purely skilled player.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
I think they've taken some chances in the mid-later rounds on players like that with Loktionov, Kitsyn, Prokhorkin. How many superstars have been drafted out of the first round the past couple of years? It rarely happens.

But I think I get what you're saying in that it isn't often the Kings go for a purely skilled player.
Exactly. It's surely gotten better but still Kitsyn is a big body guy and if you're big, Dean has a ***** for you. Same with Porkins and he's physical too. We don't like to go for skill - we go for the whole package. It's not like it's a terrible thing to do as we get guys like Nolan and King in later rounds but you surely won't be getting Datsyuk that late if you're drafting the type we do.

Although you are very right that the days of getting that big of steals late in the draft are going away as scouting improves yearly. Pretty ****ing easy to scout more when you can get live video of games from across the globe that are readily available to most that want it.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Forbort was not a "safe" pick. He was the late riser that if he hit his peak was said could be the best D man from the draft. Which honestly still isn't much of a stretch.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:46 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Jamie Benn was a fifth rounder I believe and Adam Henrique was also out of the first round. But even while scouting Teubert in Regina how could our scouts not see Eberles ability? Or did they just not think he'd pan out?? I like LAs later round picks but we have a good prospect pool in regards to depth and need a couple potential first liners besides Toffoli. DL has said it takes all types to win and I'd just like to see LA draft some "other" types for a change. Even our Russians are considered safe picks! Lol!

Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Challenging yes, but hardly impossible. All drafts have at least a couple of first line players drafted outside the first round, nevermind outside the top 5.

Take 1996 for example, arguably the worst draft in history. Drafted outside of the first round was Chara, Kubina, Kaberle for D-men alone.

Now this is just hindsight cherrypicking which scouts don't have. But the point is there is talent after the first round, nevermind the top 5.

Now I'm not arguing with our drafting philosophy, in fact I support it, but I don't think it would hurt for us to take a stab at a more 'risky' player, especially in the first round where we've had a largely average drafting history thus far.

Our 1st under DL's staff (2007 to present) are Thomas Hickey, Drew Doughty, Colton Teubert, Brayden Schenn, Derek Forbort, and Tanner Pearson. That's to largely busts, one stud, one looking good (Schenn) and two who still have the jury out. We could take a shot at some more risky picks, such as Myers over Teubert.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Challenging yes, but hardly impossible. All drafts have at least a couple of first line players drafted outside the first round, nevermind outside the top 5.

Take 1996 for example, arguably the worst draft in history. Drafted outside of the first round was Chara, Kubina, Kaberle for D-men alone.

Now this is just hindsight cherrypicking which scouts don't have. But the point is there is talent after the first round, nevermind the top 5.

Now I'm not arguing with our drafting philosophy, in fact I support it, but I don't think it would hurt for us to take a stab at a more 'risky' player, especially in the first round where we've had a largely average drafting history thus far.

Our 1st under DL's staff (2007 to present) are Thomas Hickey, Drew Doughty, Colton Teubert, Brayden Schenn, Derek Forbort, and Tanner Pearson. That's to largely busts, one stud, one looking good (Schenn) and two who still have the jury out. We could take a shot at some more risky picks, such as Myers over Teubert.
I think you can call Schenn a stud. Doughty was a sure-pick. It's not secret that Lombardi struggles with his first round pick and if you want to call someone a safe pick, look no further than Tanner Pearson.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:56 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I think you can call Schenn a stud. Doughty was a sure-pick. It's not secret that Lombardi struggles with his first round pick and if you want to call someone a safe pick, look no further than Tanner Pearson.
I agree he's having a good season, but it's 20 games in. I'll wait to call him a stud for a bit.

And I agree Pearson is a safe pick. Nothing wrong with that, but it's ok to try an unsafe pick as well once in a while, which is the jist of our discuss (I think).

Old
02-27-2013, 01:40 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You mean, like... Thomas Hickey?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:39 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Who's going to be the better pro: Roach or Forbort?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:10 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
I think both are on completely different paths. Forbort has high expectations, given that he's a first rounder, and Roach has no expectations, given that he was signed as an undrafted free agent.

Forbort will likely have better success, given that he has good vision, size, and mobility. He plays a "safer" game in that he's more defensive minded. That combination will likely give him more of a chance to find a roster spot.

Roach is bigger, meaner, and more offensive minded. He has needed to work on his power skating at the prospect camp last year, because he just doesn't have great mobility. However, I've seen him show some good patience with the puck and a willingness to walk the line to find a good shot. He could be a real gem, and I think he has higher upside than Forbort, but I don't think he's very likely to reach it.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
You mean, like... Thomas Hickey?
There's a difference between a "risky player" like Tarasenko and then a ****ing dumb pick like Hickey.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Gravel...

Last edited by tigermask48: 02-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Closed Thread