HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

What does MacKinnon have over Barkov?

Old
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
For one thing, MacKinnon's aunt is noted radical feminist Catherine MacKinnon. Can Barkov beat that? I think not.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:44 PM
ryanwb

Unfair Crosby comparisons.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
avsfan09

He has more exposure.

His skatinge is incredible. His skating alone is almost reason enough.

He has alot of tenacity and drive. Not saying Barkov doesn't give effort but he seems to think the game while Mackinnon drives it.

Defensively they are similar, but if you take into acount Mackinnons speed I think that gives him the edge.

Bust factor.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
VerySuperFamous

At around the world juniors I had Jones/Barkov at 1/2. Now Drouin has the possibility to go ahead of them, I'd put Mack at 3/4. I'd say Barkov beats him in every aspect but speed. But speed is also really important too. Barkov's season is way more impressive, and they're about the same age. I see their point totals being similar or atleast close enough assuming they both realize their full potential but Barkov will bring a much better defensive game (multiple Selkes), but Nate is a flashier player.

Nate over Barkov imo is almost Rick Nash syndrome. A flashier player will be called a superstar even if he doesn't produce like one, whereas the guy who is actually statistically better but isn't as flashy isn't close.

VerySuperFamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Like others have stated: Mac's skating is off the charts. It's not even close comparing the two. Two very different players, both very skilled/great careers ahead.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Call me crazy but I think Barkov and Drouin are the real gems of this draft.
Nate will be a big bust

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
I would say Tavares has the better shot, but MacKinnon is better at just about everything else. Their hockey IQ's are probably equal though.
MacKinnon is not better than Tavares at everything else. In fact, except for skating and I don't see McKinnon as clear cut better at everything else.

Tavares also has a much higher hockey IQ. In fact, I think it's his best asset. Tavares sees and reads the game so well.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Mackinnon on top of being the much more dynamic skater also plays a much more physical game. Both are top prospects.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Nate will be a big bust
I'm starting to really like Drouin, kid has tremendous hands.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Mackinnon on top of being the much more dynamic skater also plays a much more physical game. Both are top prospects.
Many of the great players throughout history didn't hit either, I don't see that as a big factor in this argument. If I'm thinking #1 center, hitting is not on the top of the list as a requirement.

Tavares is just so much better offensively imo. JT is also getting stronger, he is becoming alot tougher to slow down.

Don't get me wrong, Nate is a great talent and is definitely a potential franchise player, I just think Tavares will be a superior player throughout their careers.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Nate will be a big bust
You are crazy.

TheBeastCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Canadian descent

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Nate will be a big bust
You are crazy. No way is Mac ever going to bust.

OldGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
You are crazy. No way is Mac ever going to bust.
I wonder if anyone said this about Stefan.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:21 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I wonder if anyone said this about Stefan.
Looking at skill set alone with his natural skating ability I can't see Mac busting. The way the new NHL is structured speed is more than an asset, it's a requirement.

OldGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
Looking at skill set alone with his natural skating ability I can't see Mac busting. The way the new NHL is structured speed is more than an asset, it's a requirement.
I don't THINK he'll bust but you just never know. It's never truly CRAZY to say a player could bust. Maybe it's crazy to say he certainly will. But not considering the possibility.

EDIT: However, the way he worded it is pretty crazy. He called him a BIG bust. Crazy hyperbole for sure.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I don't THINK he'll bust but you just never know. It's never truly CRAZY to say a player could bust. Maybe it's crazy to say he certainly will. But not considering the possibility.

EDIT: However, the way he worded it is pretty crazy. He called him a BIG bust. Crazy hyperbole for sure.
Any player could be a bust, I mean for all we know it ends up being Jones, or Barkov that bust crazier things have happened. My problem with what he said is he basically called him a bust already which is lol worthy.

TheBeastCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
For one thing, MacKinnon's aunt is noted radical feminist Catherine MacKinnon. Can Barkov beat that? I think not.
Is this true?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
DK28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I just want to point out the obvious, that Barkov is one of the biggest, strongest man-child type prospects since Eric Lindros...hence why I think he has a low bust factor as well.
I agree from the video I have seen of Barkov. I question whether people confuse an effortless and fluid stride with slow and laboured. He seems to be where he needs to be when he needs to be there always around the puck and making the plays. He has sweet hands for such a young and powerful guy. He reminds me of Jaromir Jagr in that way. He also seems to have the same calmness and easiness about his game. Jagr was drafted #5, as others were deemed to be more NHL ready at the time. I wonder if a team will be lucky with Barkov. I would be hesitant to pass him by.

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Many of the great players throughout history didn't hit either, I don't see that as a big factor in this argument. If I'm thinking #1 center, hitting is not on the top of the list as a requirement.

Tavares is just so much better offensively imo. JT is also getting stronger, he is becoming alot tougher to slow down.

Don't get me wrong, Nate is a great talent and is definitely a potential franchise player, I just think Tavares will be a superior player throughout their careers.
Yeah, I really don't see MacKinnon being better than Tavares, because if he projected that way, I don't think he'd be ranked after Seth Jones. I don't see Seth Jones being more of a franchise player than Tavares at all.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
TBH i dont think highly of MacKinnon

i LOVE Drouin

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Is this true?
I don't think so, but it would be funny.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
NHL Fanatic

Just because he isn't as exposed to the NA audience doesn't mean the NHL scouts don't see him often. After all they have individuals in Europe watching these guys. There are scouting agencies that have Mackinnon outside the top 2/3. Scouting is subjective, everyone has different views on players. Haven't seen Barkov enough to make a judgement on his game. Mackinnon definitely has tools to become a solid pro. The way I see it is :- Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:24 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
MacKinnon has a bit better hockey sense IMO...
Where can i find the formula to count it?
Can you please define "a bit better? ?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:32 AM
thomast

80% precent of Hfboards NA posters haven't seen Barkov playing FEL game or even any game. 80% of european posters haven't seen MacKinnon playing QMJHL game. Waste of time.

If Barkov was at AHL putting nearly PPG at age of 17 being the best two-way player of that league and competing for AHL MVP award. There would be big buzz in the NA. Barkov is doing that in FEL which is better league in my eyes. Barkov could be very well league MVP but i doubt it because he has lost many games because of WJC. But last time when there was a poll Barkov was 2nd in that poll. Most of NA posters doesen't even know how special season Barkov has had this season. He has put highest point totals ever for draft eligible in top european league, Barkov is the best two-way player in the FEL. If skating is only issue for him he would be heck of a player in the future. He is 6'3 and 210ish and isn't 18 till 6 months. But when you watch how his skating has developed in a year, and how he has alot of potential to be better skater. Barkov was an great skater when he was younger but he wen't from 5'11 and about 170lbs to 6'2 and 205 lbs in a year it hurts anyones skating. Let him grow his leg muscles and get used to his large frame and it is matter of time that Barkov is good to great skater(not elite like MacKinnon). Alot of scouts ranks his skating as good for his type of game, size and age. It will never be an issue for Barkov. Most of Hfboards posters seem to forget that these guys are still very young and still developing. I see alot of working ground and potential in Barkov's skating.

Last edited by thomast: 02-27-2013 at 04:37 AM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote