HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Big Shiny Tunes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
  #1
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Big Shiny Tunes

Saw this article, instant nostalgia.

Third best selling album in Canadian history behind Shania and Celine.

  1. Prodigy - "Breathe (Edit)"
  2. Blur - "Song 2"
  3. Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life"
  4. Smash Mouth - "Walkin' on the Sun"
  5. Sugar Ray - "Fly" (featuring Supercat)
  6. Bran Van 3000 - "Drinking in L.A."
  7. Marilyn Manson - "The Beautiful People"
  8. Holly McNarland - "Numb"
  9. Bush - "Swallowed"
  10. Matchbox 20 - "Push"
  11. Collective Soul - "Precious Declaration (Remix)"
  12. The Tea Party - "Temptation (Edit) (Tom Lord-Alge Mix)"
  13. The Chemical Brothers - "Block Rockin' Beats (Radio Edit)"
  14. Wide Mouth Mason - "My Old Self"
  15. Radiohead - "Paranoid Android"
  16. The Age of Electric - "Remote Control"
  17. Stone Temple Pilots - "Lady Picture Show"


*Big Shiny Tunes vs. Much Dance 97? A debate for the ages.
*Greatest compilation ever?
*Who the heck is Holly McNarland?
*Favorite Track?
*Can any other year compete?

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
  #2
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,140
vCash: 420
nostalgia blast straight to the dome, remember my friend's older brother playing that one a lot.

I am probably a bit younger than yourself (23), and was a BST #5 & #6 guy. Not on the same level as #2, but I rocked out nonetheless.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
  #3
bigred50
.
 
bigred50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Kiribati
Posts: 2,367
vCash: 500
I was 16 or 17 when BS2 came out, and I'm pretty sure EVERYONE had a copy of this in their discman. Some pretty cool songs on there. Loved Bran Van 3000, and that song still holds up well IMO.


And holy crap, they went all the way up to Big Shiny Tunes 14 !?

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #4
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,321
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
*Big Shiny Tunes vs. Much Dance 97? A debate for the ages.
whoa! Some things man is not meant to know.

EDIT: You made me go on grooveshark to listen to matchbox 20. You made my day.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #5
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,485
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Saw this article, instant nostalgia.

Third best selling album in Canadian history behind Shania and Celine.

  1. Prodigy - "Breathe (Edit)"
  2. Blur - "Song 2"
  3. Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life"
  4. Smash Mouth - "Walkin' on the Sun"
  5. Sugar Ray - "Fly" (featuring Supercat)
  6. Bran Van 3000 - "Drinking in L.A."
  7. Marilyn Manson - "The Beautiful People"
  8. Holly McNarland - "Numb"
  9. Bush - "Swallowed"
  10. Matchbox 20 - "Push"
  11. Collective Soul - "Precious Declaration (Remix)"
  12. The Tea Party - "Temptation (Edit) (Tom Lord-Alge Mix)"
  13. The Chemical Brothers - "Block Rockin' Beats (Radio Edit)"
  14. Wide Mouth Mason - "My Old Self"
  15. Radiohead - "Paranoid Android"
  16. The Age of Electric - "Remote Control"
  17. Stone Temple Pilots - "Lady Picture Show"


*Big Shiny Tunes vs. Much Dance 97? A debate for the ages.
*Greatest compilation ever?
*Who the heck is Holly McNarland?
*Favorite Track?
*Can any other year compete?
1) Big Shiny Tunes 2 AINEC...
2) Much Dance 2001 = Nostalgia orgasm
3) Canadian one-hit wonder
4) Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
5) Doubt it.

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
  #6
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
nostalgia blast straight to the dome, remember my friend's older brother playing that one a lot.

I am probably a bit younger than yourself (23), and was a BST #5 & #6 guy. Not on the same level as #2, but I rocked out nonetheless.
I'm only 24, but I think that BST4 was the first one I actually bought. But I clearly remember stealing the others from my older sisters.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
  #7
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
1) Big Shiny Tunes 2 AINEC...
2) Much Dance 2001 = Nostalgia orgasm
3) Canadian one-hit wonder
4) Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
5) Doubt it.
According to that article, that songs about a meth addict.

Listening to it now, it makes complete sense.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
  #8
bigred50
.
 
bigred50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Kiribati
Posts: 2,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
According to that article, that songs about a meth addict.

Listening to it now, it makes complete sense.
Yup - it is. For such a poppy rock song the lyrics are actually pretty intense.


That entire Third Eye Blind album was one of my absolute favourites, actually.

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:49 PM
  #9
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,485
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
Yup - it is. For such a poppy rock song the lyrics are actually pretty intense.


That entire Third Eye Blind album was one of my absolute favourites, actually.
Those little red panties

Third Eye Blind came here last April, truly an amazing thing to see. You could taste the nostalgia in the air
They really have such a good discography, but they'll forever be remembered for Semi-Charmed Life.

EDIT: The funny thing is that nobody really knew it was about meth, yet it's mentioned directly in the lyrics.. "Doing crystal meth will lift you up until you break"..

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
  #10
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
BST and BST2 were good, but I was all about BST3.

There's always one song you skip over on these comps and on 2 it was Wide Mouth Mason. Figures that it's a Canadian band too. That song just felt out of place with all the other hits.

I tuned out of the series at 4. By then I was finding bands I liked enough to want to listen to their whole albums, not just compilations.

For MuchDance, it's a toss up between 93 and 94.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
  #11
PCooper
Registered User
 
PCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Much Dance?? The day!

Had BS2 & 3. Never picked up 4 because I think by that point I owned most of the albums that had songs on it.

Love me some Holly, the video for Elmo always creeped me out a bit


She was also the girl in MGB's Alabama Motel Room video (one of my favourite songs ever) and sang backing vocals on a couple MGB songs.


Favourite tune off BST2 at the time was probably Blur-Song 2 (remember my buddy and I blasting it on his parents stereo on repeat one summer) but my timeless love for WMM would make My Old Self my all-time favourite off the album.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
  #12
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,485
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
Favourite tune off BST2 at the time was probably Blur-Song 2 (remember my buddy and I blasting it on his parents stereo on repeat one summer) but my timeless love for WMM would make My Old Self my all-time favourite off the album.
First time I heard that song was in "FIFA: Road to World Cup '98" for N64, it was the theme to it..

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  #13
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
1) Big Shiny Tunes 2
2) don't care
3) one great song.
4) Remote Control or Temptation
5) Doubt it. But possibly a best of? :p

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.