HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
But why, why would the NHL even care enough to re-sign him? He isnt the second coming of Toe Blake & Scotty Bowman all wrapped up in one. Coaches are Mercenaries. Hired to be fired. As dispensable as yesterdays pop song. He isnt free to negotiate with anyone until the end of the season, his contract expires, and by that time Id imagine the NHL figures it'll have resolved this matter one way or the other. Theres no need to re-sign him or anyone else for that matter. There just gonna play the string out, let the cards fall where they may with respect to team personnel. Casualties? So what? They'll all land on their feet somewhere.
Tippett is one of the winningest coaches since the lockout. I believe only Babcock is ahead of him at this point. Don Maloney is the grand architect, somehow fished out of New York to save the Coyotes. Those two, basically, turned this franchise around on the ice without the benefit of ownership. They are all-stars. The only reason a buyer would be interested in keeping the team in Phoenix is because those two would still be there and available to work their budget team magic.

They should be extended, with outs if there is a relocation.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Why is this happening?

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz - #Glendale City Council is going into executive session tonight to discuss the performance of City Attorney Craig Tindall. Interesting...

Here is the agenda...

Old
02-26-2013, 06:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

Just saw that. Wonder if they are trying to get rid of him? Or is it in reference to the RFP?

Old
02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They should be extended, with outs if there is a relocation.
But why? The NHL's not in a position to sign either one of those two to the kind of "All Star" compensation packages they'll be able to command on the open market as totally free agents. I mean, why would Maloney or Tippett accept less when theyve just gotta know they can now demand big money elsewhere? Secondly, you dont go buying a franchise simply because of who the Coach & GM might be, no matter who it is, even if that teams just won the Stanley Cup. Its harsh, hard & cruel I know, but talent is expendable in the world of pro sports and entertainment for that matter. Yes it would be "nice" to keep them if you were buying the franchise & keeping it in Glendale but you know what? Maybe they'd like to get paid some serious Brian Burke like coin elsewhere. Maybe you cant pay them what their worth as youve got a monumental task in front of you rebuilding the brand in Phoenix, moneys tight. There are just so many factors involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Why is this happening?

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz - #Glendale City Council is going into executive session tonight to discuss the performance of City Attorney Craig Tindall. Interesting...
... where to begin? Could be happening for any number of reasons. Certainly a very interesting development.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Ooooo... It's a special meeting too. Interesting.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Maybe you cant pay them what their worth as youve got a monumental task in front of you rebuilding the brand in Phoenix, moneys tight. There are just so many factors involved.
There is no better investment then quality personnel in your front office. In Phoenix, that quality has correlated directly with the performance on the ice. A team in Phoenix needs to win. From an investment standpoint, it makes to sense to re-sign Tippett and Maloney. They'd like to stay, if at all possible, even perhaps at a discount. If you are on a budget, there is no better place to spend your money than on those two. They have done more with less better than any other duo in the league.

There's also the issue of OEL, a potential offer sheet and the first real transformative offseason for the Coyotes. If the NHL sits on this franchise and does nothing, they are looking at a dead last place team that has been gutted of its best players and personnel. There is just as much case for managing Phoenix in an acceptable manner as there is letting the team rot on the vine.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post

OR, you can be nice, wait for an expansion, and and we'll do some finagling around with the teams to make sure you end up in the soon to be "Central" division."
That's an easy switch. If Phoenix goes to Quebec this summer, you put the franchise in the Central/Midwest division where most opponents will only be one time zone from QC, and you move Colorado to the Pacific Division, where it was slated to be in the re-alignment proposed a year ago. That is effectively the switch contemplated in 2010 when it was thought the Coyotes might move to Winnipeg - the talk was they'd move that franchise to the Central and shift Colorado to the Pacific.

It's not perfect, but it would have Quebec 0 or 1 time zone away from their division opponents, as opposed to 2 or 3 time zones if they stay in the Pacific.

Last edited by WildGopher: 02-26-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: all teams in the proposed Midwest Division are centraltime zone
Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
There is no better investment then quality personnel in your front office... There's also the issue of OEL, a potential offer sheet and the first real transformative offseason for the Coyotes. If the NHL sits on this franchise and does nothing, they are looking at a dead last place team that has been gutted of its best players and personnel. There is just as much case for managing Phoenix in an acceptable manner as there is letting the team rot on the vine.
Yes, I completely agree, but you and I are not buying the franchise, nor are we employed by the NHL and responsible for making such decisions. It doesnt cost us anything to espouse ideals that unfortunately in the real world are often impossible to realize, some people rejecting as they want their "own" in there running things, often times simply impracticable or whatever. "If the NHL sits on this franchise and does nothing"?..... I cant see it XX. Either a local sale is consummated some how some way or that teams a goner. Just cant imagine a scenario that they stay parked any longer. Bettmans got options and leverage in receiving full price & then some through a relocation sale for this franchise elsewhere.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
"If the NHL sits on this franchise and does nothing"?..... I cant see it XX. Either a local sale is consummated some how some way or that teams a goner. Just cant imagine a scenario that they stay parked any longer. Bettmans got options and leverage in receiving full price & then some through a relocation sale for this franchise elsewhere.
If you handed me a shotgun and told me to do the deed, right now, I'd do it in heartbeat. We are all so tired of this. We want closure, even if that means losing the team. Believe me when I say I am desperately hoping what you say is true. Stringing this along another season or two is about the most awful outcome possible.

I will, however, point out that the league let Yandle and Hanzal sign long term deals to keep them with the franchise. So perhaps they aren't as uncommitted as some think.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Well I'll be...

Quote:
Paul Giblin‏@PaulGiblinAriz

#Glendale City Attorney Craig Tindall is out. Mayor Jerry Weiers asked him to resign yesterday. Tindall resigned during the exec session.

Paul Giblin‏@PaulGiblinAriz

#Glendale Mayor Weiers cited a need to go in another -- business-friendly --direction for Tindall's ouster. No details on parting terms.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
I think the latter explanation is closest to the truth! Coaches with a reputation like Tippetts are usually in high demand, all the more reason why the NHL would want to tie him up! That is unless, GB knows now, that the team is moving to QC and they will be looking for a French-Canadian coach. I have heard that if the team were to go to QC, that would not be a preferred destination for Tip. That said, perhaps both sides have agreed to see where the team may go, or if the team may go? To your first point , what harm does it do Tippett if he signs a renegotiated deal to stay in PHX, or with an opt out if the team relocates?
If the team moves to QB Patrick Roy will be the GM. The NHL won't want to load any contracts onto the team that a new owner will have to assume. If its a local buyer he can reup Maloney and Trippet if he wants.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Well I'll be...

Very interesting. Seems like there's less and less left from the diehard wolfpack that bent and broke every rule under the desert sun, depleted every sewer fund they could find (not hard because they're already in the sewer anyway...) for the purpose of keeping the Coyotes, giving them as much money as possible, and covering up how desolate the rest of the city's treasury is getting. As this mega-thread's resident legal experts said, Tindall's behavior was very questionable. Maybe Tindall told Beasley the funds transfers were legal. Tindall strikes me as the kind of guy who thinks his mouth makes the laws.

So Glendale is finally cleaning up their mess. Can they grab him by his coat and throw him out the city hall doors?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
In other news, #Glendale Mayor Weiers said four potential #Coyotes bidders are still asking questions. None have made offers to city or NHL.
Four?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
So Glendale is finally cleaning up their mess.
Pretty quick, not even a period of transition in seeking a replacement for the City Attorneys offices. Somethin definitely went down over that one. A guy like Tindall's going to know where bodies buried... Hell, he picked out the plot & helped out with a shovel in a lot of cases. Curiouser & curiouser.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:30 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Four?
Ed Bel Four he is.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Four?
One from Quebec City, one from Seattle, one from Hamilton, and one from Markham?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Wow... Alvarez (during the item motion for Collections/Amended City Code) asks if a collections agency can go after Ellman for a deliquent water bill of $90K.

Response was they know not the existance of this $90K bill... proof of existance requested.

This trip just keeps getting wilder, weirder, and wackier

Old
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
#Glendale City Council just OK'd recruitment firm Murray & Associates to find a new city manager. It will be months before the hire.
Skeete is out too.

Are they playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" during this meeting by chance?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Four?
Key word being 'potential'. Definition: Capable of being but not yet in existence.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Four?
Yes, four. The Seventh Seal has been broken. The Four Horseman approach. The first one to arrive is White, then Roan, Black, Pale.... quite clearly you Sir are facilitating their arrival, your avy the Portal through which they'll be entering this mortal plain. Didnt think anyone would notice huh?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Llama19

Tindall will be updating his LinkedIn profile after tonight...

Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Pretty quick, not even a period of transition in seeking a replacement for the City Attorneys offices. Somethin definitely went down over that one. A guy like Tindall's going to know where bodies buried... Hell, he picked out the plot & helped out with a shovel in a lot of cases. Curiouser & curiouser.
Some of Craig's resume achievements...

~Provided legal opinions for $1B+ municipal bonds.
~Negotiated $325m agreements with NHL franchise for management of publicly owned arena.
~Lead bankruptcy team successfully rejection of arena lease and avoiding $500m loss.

Source: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tindalllaw

Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Skeete is out too. Are they playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" during this meeting by chance?
Sure looks like it. Talk about wiping the slate... and ya Llama, Tindalls been absolutely key throughout all of this, since before Moyes even walked into Baums courtroom. Rumour has it as well was that there was a sort of power struggle or play going on between Skeete & Tindall after Beasleys departure. Perhaps thats true, played a part in boths apparently immediate departures.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Wow. Something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear. There's a man with a pink slip over there. Telling me that I got to beware.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

I wonder if they played with him or ignored him before they s canned him? Sayonara, Craig.

Closed Thread