HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Media Punks

Old
07-17-2006, 06:26 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Exactly, that seems so obvious to me. People are complaining about how bad the media are, how dumb 110% is, yet we always have the reports...

Just stop to be a customer. They'll change pretty quickly then...
That doesn't make sense. They mix in the opinion with the news. It's too passive also. I think a scorecard would be the best approach.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfath3r View Post
I believe we should start a email account sort of a base of communications...and within it start a mailing list with all our supporters(you people the habs fans).
I have a sneaking suspicion that you're either not reading or not fully appreciating what Teufelsdreck, StanAjax and I are telling you.

Please re-read StanAjax's post. So long as the media continues selling their papers or getting the ratings they're targetting, they will not change their product. They will only change their product if their bottom line suffers.

So while your concern is very real and justified, your solution is ill-conceived and should be directed towards the fans; not the media.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
goalchenyuk

Do you really think that Shanahan for exemple , isn't going to play here because 110 % , per exemple , said that there are not enough french players with the Habs ( per ex... ) ?

common , the all around players don't even know the existence of the 110 % and Rds talkboard of this world . Even most of our own players don't know much about them .

The players that talked about the Montreal medias , are probably just making reference to the fact that they are 60 and more around the players ( and all the time ... )

And as i said earlier , the boo boo birds are probably 200 x more scaring the players than the medias themselves ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
mikeg

Quote:
As you may know the media is responsible for alot of the B.S rumours going around.

...snip....

I suggest when anything goes on..anything bad anything derogatory towards members of this hockey club..we post the link into refrence and contact the source and we let them know how WE FEEL about there unfactual statements...as well as go to our local media heads and contact them that a rival media source is printing false statements we use the media to fight the media(we dont even have to leave the computer its only an email away my frineds)...we band together and tell these fools that we are not going to take it. Whose with me?!
Why does that feel eerily close to something like republicans trying to take control of these boards?

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

You have the power to use your money as you wish, like buying fair trade or investing in certain companies.
Private business is in charge while the government just manages. Every time you decide who you give your money to you have more power than any single vote could give you. It's like voting everyday for what you want your society to be.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
kostitsyn1489

We're starting an HF News paper french and english have a website and all and in a couple of years we have a TVV station and in about 10 years we're the #1 Habs "tele-diffuseur".

It's just crazy I know I just give an idea!

We can sit on the top of a bridge.

lol. So... It'll be tough but it's not impossible. It's like for the waer if anybody work a bit on his side we'll grow. We just need a good idea to start and after it'll go pretty well I think.

Mailing is good but if we still listen/read we'll not going forward.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
We're starting an HF News paper french and english have a website and all and in a couple of years we have a TVV station and in about 10 years we're the #1 Habs "tele-diffuseur".

It's just crazy I know I just give an idea!

We can sit on the top of a bridge.

lol. So... It'll be tough but it's not impossible. It's like for the waer if anybody work a bit on his side we'll grow. We just need a good idea to start and after it'll go pretty well I think.

Mailing is good but if we still listen/read we'll not going forward.
today , the HF Boards , tomorrow , the world !!!!

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
mcphee

If this goes well we can burn books if we don't like the content.

I don't watch what doesn't entertain or inform me. I don't watch what I consider not worth my time.

It's like complaining about the issue of the Enquirer that's on your coffee table.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
tinyzombies

I bet you guys read People magazine too.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
HabsFather
Twitter: @HabsFather

wow i can't believe how many people are missing the point...the point is..is that the media is making it difficult for our team to sign new players and bring them her in montreal...they won't play for us becuase of how bad the media is!

Regardless of what you burn or how many channels you switch through the players are the ones getting flak...they have to read the paper they have to watch the news they have to go out in public through the media..they have to go to the press confrences and watch the news the next day to see if their comments were taking out of context..its getting ridiculous so much infact that we 're having trouble tryin to sign new talent.

I know many of you true habs fan understand and have stated you would support such a cause...where theres a will there is a way...but its you nay sayers "its all the fans doing" "it's never going to work" .and so on and so on... well guess what the fans are going to do something with your help or without it(hopefully with it). WE don't need our franchises reputation looking bad just so the media can sell some papers. Its hurting our players as well as their reputation and its hurting the teams future..

HabsFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:47 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
wow i can't believe how many people are missing the point...the point is..is that the media is making it difficult for our team to sign new players and bring them her in montreal...they won't play for us becuase of how bad the media is!
I understand your point. You don't understand our point.

The market is really really huge for the Montreal Canadiens and the Hockeys Future forums, Official forums, and all of the forums put together if you wish is a tiny tiny tiny part of that market.

This market is starving for hockey. You are apparently starving for hockey. We are starving for hockey.

You won't stop that!

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
HabsFather

im not tryin to stop that...im like many of the other members here are merely trying to stop the negative scutinous information that these players suffer example(michel villaneuve campin out front of jose theodores house to see if he was really injured and then realsing a videotape..example media making up false statements that souray asked to be traded where he openly stated that these rumours were untru and also said that this is why many of the reasons why players are unwilling to play in montreal...example Koivu at a press confrence asked the media reporter to repeat a question in english because he's not comfortable speaking in french and he was then later sandered for being a quebec captain and benign unable to speak the language...the man already knows 2..leave him alone....im not talking about all media types..some are good just the ones that bring the negative energy to our players...we show these writers and editors we wont stand for that and realise what sells is positivy on our players thyell eventtually grow tired of all the negative emails that are sent to them everytime they report something negative of our beloved team..

Old
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
boundless

i understand what you're trying to accomplish here... attract new free agents by changing the image that they have of playing in montreal.

i just dont think attacking the press is gonna help. i think first, we need to work from the inside. what i mean is, let our own players know how much we appreciate them and don't follow or care what the press says. (ie: if we as a group can somehow get the message across to Koivu that we don't care what language he speaks as long as he plays hard for his team, that's all that matters).

this type of news and image about montreal will spread a lot faster to other players in the league and will hold a lot more meaning and credibility than what they know the media says.

players stick together no matter what team they play on. its not so much just that they all listen to montreal media, but rather that they let each other know.

i say we get the message across to our team and the rest will take care of itself.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
HabsFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundless View Post
i understand what you're trying to accomplish here... attract new free agents by changing the image that they have of playing in montreal.

i just dont think attacking the press is gonna help. i think first, we need to work from the inside. what i mean is, let our own players know how much we appreciate them and don't follow or care what the press says. (ie: if we as a group can somehow get the message across to Koivu that we don't care what language he speaks as long as he plays hard for his team, that's all that matters).

this type of news and image about montreal will spread a lot faster to other players in the league and will hold a lot more meaning and credibility than what they know the media says.

players stick together no matter what team they play on. its not so much just that they all listen to montreal media, but rather that they let each other know.

i say we get the message across to our team and the rest will take care of itself.
Fianlly, these forums benefit from people who are productively as intelligent as you...i appriciate your feedback it helps...and its a great idea...now does anyone know how we can get the players emails....they got to have fan mail..so how do we contact them ? anyone?

Old
07-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
If you complain but people still buy newspapers, listen to the radio or watch TV, they won't care at all about your complaining, 'cos they'll know it won't cost them a penny. They're mostly living of advertising, and if sales/listening/watching don't dive, that won't change anything.

On the other hand, if sales/listening/watching take a hit, you'll see them wonder what's wrong and care about your opinion pretty quickly.

Now, it's another thing to make people boycott "entertaining" Habs media coverage...
The amount newspapers/TV can charge for advertising depends in the circulation/ viewership. Advertisers want to reach an audience, not waste their money, so if the ads/commercials bring in less revenue, the media have to make personnel cuts.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:58 AM
DicAnns

Players should more often sue the medias when they present rumours as facts (like theo did).
That's the only thing that would make the medias think twice before publishing BS.

Then again, i doubt players from the Canadiens would sue medias because they'd be afraid to lose their fans if they do so.

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Cariboux

Come on, it's ridiculous ! If Shanahan, Elias or Arnott didn't want to come here because of 110% or anything like that, I think they should just retire and go to the Yukon territories to live like hermits

This media thing is just a BS excuse.

Cariboux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Dutch

How about we find out where the live, go in front of their houses, take pictures, when they come out, jump on them with a camera and ask them about their private life, follow them at work, and then critisize everything they do, and write reports on who could do a better job than them.

That would teach them !

And we go to the studios of 110% and we put a banner in the window that says: Marc Bureau: 4th line center, 5th line analyst.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
deandebean

This was interesting read. I'll limit my comments to that.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Haddock

Boohoohoo!! The mean journalists have scared away millionaire athletes. Booohooohooo!!! The media pressure and presence is too big. Booohooohooo.

I think it's time for a lot of you to go out and enjoy summer.

Ridiculous.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Boohoohoo!! The mean journalists have scared away millionaire athletes. Booohooohooo!!! The media pressure and presence is too big. Booohooohooo.

I think it's time for a lot of you to go out and enjoy summer.

Ridiculous.
Part of me feels the same way, that millionaire hockey players should have thicker skin in dealing with the media pressure in Montréal. Then I recall that half-wit photographer who snuck into Koivu's hosiptal room and used a flash to get a photo of a guy with an eye injury.

Point being, there is a limit and the Montréal press seem fond of pushing those limits. Sooner or later, they will find themselves frozen out by both the club and the players.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
ti-vite

Agreed to posts #44 & #45.

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Part of me feels the same way, that millionaire hockey players should have thicker skin in dealing with the media pressure in Montréal. Then I recall that half-wit photographer who snuck into Koivu's hosiptal room and used a flash to get a photo of a guy with an eye injury.

Point being, there is a limit and the Montréal press seem fond of pushing those limits. Sooner or later, they will find themselves frozen out by both the club and the players.
I agree. If BG and co. feel a line gets crossed, it should be dealt with. If I'm a beat reporter with J de M, and 2 clowns cross the line, I think a quiet word can express that they just made everyone else's job tougher.

If a columnist writes critical stuff, well opinions are just that. Who cares ? If we start listing concrete instances of line crossing, and instances where they go easy on the truth, I think we'd be surprised at how seldom it happens. Shows like 110% are a good idea, in that it's supposed to be a few guys sitting around talking sports like buddies in a tavern. Problems start when listeners starting attaching importance to their ramblings. Then, they start believing in their importance because so many discuss every off hand comment.

How long since Bergeron or Perron had jobs in the league ? You think players know who they are ?

Montreal has + and -'s, and there are circumstances that attract players here and those that repel them,like other cities. Some cities seem to attract and then keep players, St.Louis is a popular place it seems, in all sports. The west coast has a blend of climate,life style and good young teams that attracts right now.

I believe our reaction or obsession with everything reported is more of an issue than what's reported.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I agree. If BG and co. feel a line gets crossed, it should be dealt with. If I'm a beat reporter with J de M, and 2 clowns cross the line, I think a quiet word can express that they just made everyone else's job tougher.

If a columnist writes critical stuff, well opinions are just that. Who cares ? If we start listing concrete instances of line crossing, and instances where they go easy on the truth, I think we'd be surprised at how seldom it happens. Shows like 110% are a good idea, in that it's supposed to be a few guys sitting around talking sports like buddies in a tavern. Problems start when listeners starting attaching importance to their ramblings. Then, they start believing in their importance because so many discuss every off hand comment.

How long since Bergeron or Perron had jobs in the league ? You think players know who they are ?

Montreal has + and -'s, and there are circumstances that attract players here and those that repel them,like other cities. Some cities seem to attract and then keep players, St.Louis is a popular place it seems, in all sports. The west coast has a blend of climate,life style and good young teams that attracts right now.

I believe our reaction or obsession with everything reported is more of an issue than what's reported.
I suppose it's inevitable that the over-reaction to the press is proportional to the press coverage itself, goes with the territory in major sports markets. I agree that the press get it right more often than not and that the times when they cross that line in the sand are few and far between.

I do feel that the press has become slightly more rabid during BG's tenure, I wonder if Gainey's stocism feeds into the amount of speculation that the press engages in.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I suppose it's inevitable that the over-reaction to the press is proportional to the press coverage itself, goes with the territory in major sports markets. I agree that the press get it right more often than not and that the times when they cross that line in the sand are few and far between.

I do feel that the press has become slightly more rabid during BG's tenure, I wonder if Gainey's stocism feeds into the amount of speculation that the press engages in.
Yeah, that's probably part of it. I often have sports radio on in my office. Dan Patrick, the espn guy seems to have an ongoing feud with T.Owens. Owens objected to some coverage and now Patrick seems to glory in being part of the story. Even our criticism and outrage helps make these guys stars.

As for Gainey's tenure, I don't know that one feeds the other, could be. As much as we joke about the Gainey stare and deliberate nature, do many other GM's give much more access ? Brian Burke will open up at times. Gainey has fired staff that leak stuff,might have angered some of the old guard, could be I guess.