HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Patofqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Small and soft like your boy DD
My boy??? I want to get rid of him to make room for Eller and Galchenyuk.

Old
Rick16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claimed Off Waivers View Post
Bouillon...check
Ryder....check

I hope Max Lapierre is next to come home.
Bring back Francois Beauchemin and I'm a happy man

Old
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Curious if this could be the beginnings of putting an offer together for Perry if he becomes available, (he is a habs fan after all)

Old
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Talks to Goalposts

I don't think Ryder is as good as Cole, but its close enough that the benefit of not having to live with the tail end of Cole's contract makes this a good deal for MTL.

Odd to see a winning team do this kind of move though.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
I don't know if you've been answered but yes, there is. It was back in the days with les citadelles de québec.
I believe the citadels where in halifax. I went to a few of their games before they moved

Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
1UP

Cole was sometimes gassed after 30 seconds, didn't rush, didn't crash the net. I mean, on the PP, when both Cole and DD were on, DD was the one screening the goalie. Wat. Ryder isn't a massive bruiser, but he's not soft. Anyhow, I don't think Therrien will allow him to be 'soff'. It's not just a good trade. It's highway robbery. For multiple reasons.

1: Salary cap world. Trade a contract (with an NTC) that could very well become a serious albatross for a UFA next year, that'll probably resign next year if he does well. He remembers Montréal fondly. Will he take a hometown discount? Most likely not.

2: On-ice product: Cole is a goal scoring grinder that isn't grinding. Ryder is a sniper that is currently sniping. He's now our #1 in points, ex aequo with MaxPac. Ryder will provide more of what we need than Cole. We already have skilled front of goal presence in Bourque (although he's hurt), Pacioretty and Eller (who's getting meaty!). A good sniper on the PP is also going to be a boon - and we got the Ds to feed him quality pucks.

3: The pick: How did Bergevin get a pick out of that is mindboggling. It's a 3rd rounder, granted, but in a stacked draft. Also, when you're dealing with Timmins... (good reminder - Gallagher's a 5th round pick).

4: Possible room problem: Okay, let's be honest, we don't know. We probably will never know. All we got as info is from the usual suspects at the Antichambre. But he wasn't into it. That was clear. It's ok to have a slow start. But 17 games is one hell of a long time, especially in a shortened season. If he was a problem (which him waiving his NTC points to me that there might have been frictions, either with other players or Therrien), now the room is cleared. And I'm pretty sure Ryder isn't an Amigo anymore.

Now, Ribeiro's UFA at the end of this season. Anyone knows where's Dagenais?

Strong, positive trade with low risk and high reward potential, both from Ryder and from the pick. Absolute win from Bergevin.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
WTF BERGEVIN?

*PUKE* *PUKE*

We hated Ryder in Montreal, couldn't wait till he left. This is what happens when you get an outsider GM who doesn't know what's going on here. If he knew our recent history, we would not have gotten Ryder back, we could not have been beaten by the Leafs like it happened against the Bruins.

Habs gets a whole lot softer.
Cole was so tough....

Old
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

I don't get why people say that Ryder will help in the shootouts, he's 4 in 22 since 2009-10

1 in 7 last year.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I don't think Ryder is as good as Cole, but its close enough that the benefit of not having to live with the tail end of Cole's contract makes this a good deal for MTL.

Odd to see a winning team do this kind of move though.
Cole hasn't really contributed much to the winning though. So we should play even better now in theory with added scoring

Old
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
I don't get why people say that Ryder will help in the shootouts, he's 4 in 22 since 2009-10

1 in 7 last year.
There is only 1 saviour and that's Pierre Dagenais!!!

Old
Rick16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I believe the citadels where in halifax. I went to a few of their games before they moved
The citadels were in Québec.

Edit: you might be talking about Fredericton canadiens?

Old
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
This team is not going in the right direction, Cole is a tough gritty player with size forget about current stats. Terrible trade...here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
How quick have people turned on Cole. He was great for us last year. He had a slow start, but he was getting it going. What can you say, fans here like smallish soft players.
MICHAEL RYDER IS 6 FOOT, THAT IS NOT A SMALLISH PLAYER!! Erik Cole was great for us last year, but he spoke about retirement in the offseason, his contract was huge and I'm sorry but he hasn't looked good in most of our games this season.

For now and in the future, this is the better trade for this team. By the way, "Cole is a tough gritty player with size forget about current stats" is such a silly quote. With that logic, why don't we promote Mike Blunden to the top six? He doesn't have stats, but hey! He's pretty damn gritty!

You both should stop whining and start thinking logically about this trade, you overrate grittiness and underrate scoring. It's pretty silly since it takes GOALS to win games, not HITS.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
MarkovsKnee

Interesting move. This could end up being Cole for a 3rd and cap space if the Habs don't resign Ryder. I always liked Ryder. He has an awesome shot, and is an under-rated playmaker. He has matured a lot and so has his game.

I like this move because it shows that MB is not just willing to stand still because the Habs are #1 in the East. This is a current move - Ryder gives us a sniper who won't just shoot into chests or hit goal posts - we badly need a natural shooter. Cole isn't really that. He's more of a talented grinder.

But, this move is also a future move since it clears cap space for the rest of this season and the next 2 years and it gives us another good draft pick in a deep draft. That's 6 picks in the top 90. Scouting team has its work cut out for them.

It's just what we need.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick16 View Post
The citadels were in Québec.
Then there must have been two citadel teams, who knew lol

Old
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
MICHAEL RYDER IS 6 FOOT, THAT IS NOT A SMALLISH PLAYER!! Erik Cole was great for us last year, but he spoke about retirement in the offseason, his contract was huge and I'm sorry but he hasn't looked good in most of our games this season.

For now and in the future, this is the better trade for this team. By the way, "Cole is a tough gritty player with size forget about current stats" is such a silly quote. With that logic, why don't we promote Mike Blunden to the top six? He doesn't have stats, but hey! He's pretty damn gritty!

You both should stop whining and start thinking logically about this trade, you overrate grittiness and underrate scoring. It's pretty silly since it takes GOALS to win games, not HITS.
Cole is a gritty player with size that scored 35 goal last year. Slow start but he was turning it around.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
This team is not going in the right direction, Cole is a tough gritty player with size forget about current stats. Terrible trade...here we go again.
Didn't use the size or grit this year. The guy watned to retire. I was done when he said that.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Any chance Bergevin has more luck and finds a taker for Kaberle and Gionta
Isn't Pierre Gauthier an advisor in Chicago ?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
So far Bergevin is 2 in 2 for his move. Getting rid of Gomez and Cole.

GJ Bergy

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Gionta+Kaberle for Morrow+3rd please?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Cole is a gritty player with size that scored 35 goal last year. Slow start but he was turning it around.
How is Cole gritty? Most of his game starts with speed to the outside and ends with him falling down.
I liked him last year but not because of his grit.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
How is Cole gritty? Most of his game starts with speed to the outside and ends with him falling down.
I liked him last year but not because of his grit.
He is always in front of the net and in the corners. Not scared to go there like other on our team...

Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Wow. That was quick. I'm really surprised considering last year's results.

I guess the Habs management really believed Cole will never get his lost step back; and, they believe he really wanted to retire.

Old
ClasslessGuy

Since when cole was a gritty player?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Cole was sometimes gassed after 30 seconds, didn't rush, didn't crash the net. I mean, on the PP, when both Cole and DD were on, DD was the one screening the goalie. Wat. Ryder isn't a massive bruiser, but he's not soft. Anyhow, I don't think Therrien will allow him to be 'soff'. It's not just a good trade. It's highway robbery. For multiple reasons.

1: Salary cap world. Trade a contract (with an NTC) that could very well become a serious albatross for a UFA next year, that'll probably resign next year if he does well. He remembers Montréal fondly. Will he take a hometown discount? Most likely not.

2: On-ice product: Cole is a goal scoring grinder that isn't grinding. Ryder is a sniper that is currently sniping. He's now our #1 in points, ex aequo with MaxPac. Ryder will provide more of what we need than Cole. We already have skilled front of goal presence in Bourque (although he's hurt), Pacioretty and Eller (who's getting meaty!). A good sniper on the PP is also going to be a boon - and we got the Ds to feed him quality pucks.

3: The pick: How did Bergevin get a pick out of that is mindboggling. It's a 3rd rounder, granted, but in a stacked draft. Also, when you're dealing with Timmins... (good reminder - Gallagher's a 5th round pick).

4: Possible room problem: Okay, let's be honest, we don't know. We probably will never know. All we got as info is from the usual suspects at the Antichambre. But he wasn't into it. That was clear. It's ok to have a slow start. But 17 games is one hell of a long time, especially in a shortened season. If he was a problem (which him waiving his NTC points to me that there might have been frictions, either with other players or Therrien), now the room is cleared. And I'm pretty sure Ryder isn't an Amigo anymore.

Now, Ribeiro's UFA at the end of this season. Anyone knows where's Dagenais?

Strong, positive trade with low risk and high reward potential, both from Ryder and from the pick. Absolute win from Bergevin.
Good analysis. My first reaction was crappy deal but big picture it's not bad at all and potentially good strategically.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
I don't love it, I don't hate it. The cap savings are a major benefit and Ryder is a decent player, but I hate losing one of the few guys we have who like to go in front of the net. I have no doubt that this is a good move for our future, but I'm not so sure we're a better team today.

Does anyone know if there's a rule against changing jersey numbers mid-season? I just bought a #73 Gallagher jersey and I'll be really annoyed if he gives it to Ryder.

Closed Thread