HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Simon Gagne traded to Philly for a conditional 3rd/4th rounder

Old
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
backhander

vCash: 500
this is a good move...gagne was moving around like a sloth

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The return wasn't that bad. Lombardi said he was looking for a 3rd, and could have sent him to the highest bidder, but settled for something in-between, because Gagne signed with the Kings via free agency, and given the circumstances, he would be happiest with the Flyers. We got a reasonable return for someone not playing, and a UFA.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
David Strorm
@ControlPuck

Reasons I love this trade:
- Cap space at the deadline
- A 3rd/4rth round draft pick
- Roster space
- He's UFA at the end of the year

David Strorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings are going to have a LW hole at the end of this season that will either be filled by Toffoli or a UFA.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Lewis-Richards-Carter
?????-Stoll-King
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings are going to have a LW hole at the end of this season that will either be filled by Toffoli or a UFA.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Lewis-Richards-Carter
?????-Stoll-King
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
King could be shifted back to LW and Toffoli slide in. Wouldn't discount Pearson making the team as well.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:25 PM
KingsCorona

I did like Gagne and the guy has got mad skills, but it seems like he really never did get rolling for us. I wish he would have panned out better because when we got him I thought he could've been a solid goal-scoring winger for us. But he was out for so long with that injury, and in the meantime players like Clifford stepped up bigtime. I wish him luck in Philly. Hopefully he can score some goals so we can get a better pick

KingsCorona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:01 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Lewis-Richards-Carter
?????-Stoll-King
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
Hahaha whoa, relax on putting Lewis in the top 6. Toffoli or Clifford would go there

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Think Bud Holloway fits in next year's lineup somewhere? Not trying to stir the pot.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Think Bud Holloway fits in next year's lineup somewhere? Not trying to stir the pot.
I don't think he ever comes back and plays for the Kings, unfortunately, even though I think he'd be a great fit

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:12 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Honestly I think if he wanted to, he could make the team. Now? No ****ing chance. Dean mad.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think the only way Holloway or Moller earn a spot is if they sign two-way contracts. Problem is what happens if they find out either one isn't good enough to play in the NHL? They have to trade or waive them in that case, and it is apparent that neither one of them wants to play in the minors. So it is going to be NHL or Europe for them.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
A move coming could be Jay Bouwmeester. That's the only Dman I could see moving, with a big cap and that has a history with Sutter. Plus he'd look pretty damn good next to Doughty
we dont need playoff spot kyptonite on our team

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Honestly I think if he wanted to, he could make the team. Now? No ****ing chance. Dean mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think the only way Holloway or Moller earn a spot is if they sign two-way contracts. Problem is what happens if they find out either one isn't good enough to play in the NHL? They have to trade or waive them in that case, and it is apparent that neither one of them wants to play in the minors. So it is going to be NHL or Europe for them.
Dean making the comment about Voynov biding his time in MAN says it all. Read between the lines and that comment is essentially DL's writing on the wall. If you want to play in LA you work within OUR system - not YOURS.

I think those two will never see the light of day in LA at this point.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Moller at least told Dean he was leaving. Bud just up and ****ing signed. I could see Moller getting a deal where he gets a shot in camp but if he doesn't make it, the Kings just let him to back to Europe but that's about it.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

All emotions aside I'm all for letting talented players get a shot at making our roster . Toffoli or Holloway would be bad ass, maybe both.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
All emotions aside I'm all for letting talented players get a shot at making our roster . Toffoli or Holloway would be bad ass, maybe both.
I think Lombardi adheres strictly to the policy (and good for him) that unestablished players need to pay their dues and do the program the team lays out. It's good for their growth, shows the team that's investing in you proper respect, and shows everyone in the organization commitment worthy of investment. Established guys who paid dues can have their way a little bit.

If Dean lets some unestablished guy get away with not doing things right, it not only corrodes the system, it's also a slap in the face to the guys who did it right and paid their dues.

Holloway is done as a King. Moller on the other hand simply is the winger version of Loktionov. When Sutter became coach, guys like Nolan and King became the new prototypical Kings player. Hickey is a casualty of that too...the org chose Muzzin over him.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:50 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Random but we should offer Penner and our conditional pick to Dallas for Eriksson before their gm gets fired.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
That trade is going to turn out well for them, watch. Cole at his best is a better player than Ryder at his best. Cole hasn't been at his best for 19 games but that doesn't mean his 35 goal season should be discarded. His contract kinda sucks but Dallas won't even be close to the cap, so it doesn't matter.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd wager that if Holloway resigns with the Kings (extremely doubtful, but talking hypothetically here) that it'd be a one-way deal with an agreement that if he doesn't get a spot in the regular line up he gets waived so someone else can pick him.

Moller and Holloway both would likely insist on an out to return to Europe should they fail to get an NHL spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
Dean making the comment about Voynov biding his time in MAN says it all. Read between the lines and that comment is essentially DL's writing on the wall. If you want to play in LA you work within OUR system - not YOURS.

I think those two will never see the light of day in LA at this point.
Moller DID play the LA way. DL agreed it was in his best efforts to go to Europe, and from all accounts he has improved out there. Whether or not it's good enough to make the Kings is unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least get a camp invite.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Shouldn't the thread "for a conditional 3rd rounder"?

Its a fourth rounder if Pho doesn't make the playoffs (or Philly, I don't get which) so we could end up with the 3rd making the fourth conditional?

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
pretty sure gagne will find his scoring touch back in philly. woulldn't shocked if he scored 10+ goals.
what, during warmups for a week?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Shouldn't the thread "for a conditional 3rd rounder"?

Its a fourth rounder if Pho doesn't make the playoffs (or Philly, I don't get which) so we could end up with the 3rd making the fourth conditional?
Philly has to make the playoffs for the pick to become a 3rd. It does seem strange that they would call it a conditional 4th instead of a 3rd.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 AM
johnjm22

I don't like this for the simple fact that Gagne is a far better option than Dwight King.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
That trade is going to turn out well for them, watch. Cole at his best is a better player than Ryder at his best. Cole hasn't been at his best for 19 games but that doesn't mean his 35 goal season should be discarded. His contract kinda sucks but Dallas won't even be close to the cap, so it doesn't matter.
Ryder scored 35 goals last year as well and hasn't looked awful this year like Cole has. Having to add a 3rd is just idiotic. If they were scared of Ryder leaving in the offseason, they should have traded him for picks and prospects because that geriatric team isn't winning anything. This trade reeks of Nieuwendyk feeling Ryder will leave while knowing he's probably fired if the Stars fail to make the playoffs, which is a bad combination for Stars fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't like this for the simple fact that Gagne is a far better option than Dwight King.
Does that really matter if Sutter won't play him over King?

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Are we talking about Roenick here? Just curious.
No, Cammalleri!!

Nah, he's talking about Smyth.

Dean did Gagne a solid the same way he did when he moved Conroy to Calgary several years ago. Good luck to Simon. At least we have a real rooting interest in the East now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote